World Wrestling Federation: Building to Greatness

-September 3, 1989

My name is Gary Wooder. I was signed by the WWF on Monday, September 1, 1989. I've had one show...the first Prime Time Wrestling with me in charge. Here's what happened in these three days so far:

WWF Prime Time Wrestling

Attendance: 10,000 (SELL OUT!)

Dino Bravo def. Haku

Mr. Perfect def. Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart

Demolition def. The Bushwhackers

The Rockers def. The Brainbusters © to win the WWF World Tag Team Championship

Bret Hart def. The Ultimate Warrior © to win the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Randy Savage & Ted DiBiase def. Hulk Hogan & Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

-Signed Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

-Signed Eric Bischoff

I promise to lead the WWF to greatness.

(THE MOD IS NO HOLDS BARRED!)

WWF CHAMPIONS:

WWF Championship:

Holder: Hulk Hogan (2)

(Since Unknown)

WWF Intercontinental Championship:

Holder: Bret Hart

(Since September 1, 1989)

WWF World Tag Team Championship:

Holders: Bret Hart (2) & Ricky Steamboat

(Since September 14, 1989)

Royal Rumble:

Winner: (1989) Big John Studd

King of the Ring Tournament:

Winner: (1989) Tito Santana

OTHER BIG US PROMOTION'S CHAMPIONS:

NWA World Heavyweight Championship:

Holder: Ric Flair (7)

(Since Unknown)

NWA United States Championship:

Holder: Lex Luger (3)

(Since Unknown)

NWA Television Championship:

Holder: The Great Muta (2)

(Since Unknown)

NWA World Tag Team Championship:

Holders: Steiner Brothers (Scott & Rick Steiner)

(Since September 8, 1989)

AWA World Heavyweight Championship:

Holder: Larry Zbyszko

(Since Unknown)

AWA World Tag Team Championship:

Holders: Destruction Crew (Mike Enos & Wayne Bloom)

(Since Unknown)

AWA Nationwide Championship:

Holder: Vacant

(Since Unknown)

WWF WRESTLING CHALLENGE PREVIEW:

After Randy Savage signafied himself as hungry for gold, can he become the official number one contender tonight?

Also, WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan is in action, as he takes on his former rival, Andre the Giant!

WWF Wrestling Challenge:

At The Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minnesota!

Watch it on the USA Network!

#1 Contender's Match

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase

Non-Title

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

WWF Intercontinental Championship

Bret Hart © vs. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

WWF World Tag Team Championship

The Rockers © vs. Demolition

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake vs. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka

Mr. Perfect vs. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Quick Pickz:

Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase

Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper

The Rockers vs. Demolition

Brutus Beefcake vs. Jimmy Snuka

Mr. Perfect vs. Dusty Rhodes

WWF Wrestling Challenge

September 6, 1989

Shown LIVE on USA Network

From The Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minnesota!

Attendance: 10,157

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The camera fades in and it shows all of the fans. It then goes to Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff at the booth.

Welcome fans, to WWF Wrestling Challenge! Tonight we are in the Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Alongside me to call the action, is Eric Bischoff!

That's right, Vinnie Mac! We have a HUGE show for you fans! We have two title matches, a rematch from one of the, if not the most historic WrestleMania match ever, and a number one contendership match for Hulk Hogan's WWF Championship!

That match contains the partners from our last show as "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase will battle it out for a shot to face Hulk Hogan at When Worlds Collide!

With those things said, let's get this show on the road as Mr. Perfect will take on "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes!

Mr. Perfect vs. Dusty Rhodes

This was a pretty good match. Mr. Perfect had most of the match under control. Dusty had some comebacks, but didn't really do the best he could do. Mr. Perfect capitalized on Dusty's flaws and hit a Perfectplex for the three count.

Winner: Mr. Perfect

Time: 7:57

Rating: B+

As Mr. Perfect walks to the back, we cut to backstage as Jesse "The Body" Ventura is standing alongside WWF Intercontinental Champion, Bret Hart.

WWF Fans, I'm joined at this time by the NEW WWF Intercontinental Champion, Bret Hart!

Bret, do you have any words for your opponent tonight, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper?

Bret takes the mic from Jesse's hand.

Piper, I fought to win this title! *pats title* I'll be damned if I lose it in my first defense. The Honky Tonk Man held this title for 64 weeks, I'm looking to crush that record. I promise to all of my fans that I will be a fighting champion, and that I will be the BEST WWF Intercontinental Champion that the world has ever seen!

As Bret walks off, the camera is directed to the ramp, where Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake is coming out.

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake vs. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka

These guys do not click at ALL! This match plain out sucked. Brutus kept good control over Jimmy just about the entire match. After a long seven and a half minutes, Brutus finally hit a High Knee Lift.

Winner: Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Time: 7:38

Rating: D+

We go backstage to hear The Rockers talk in their locker room.

Dang, Shawn. I can't believe it. We're the WWF Tag Team Champions! Look, Shawn, you are the youngest World Tag Team Champion in WWF history! How's it feel?

I gotta admit, Marty. It feels pretty good. Now, my next goal? The youngest WWF Champion in history. C'mon, let's go beat Demolition.

Shawn slings one of the WWF World Tag Team Championships over his shoulder, as they walk out.

The Rockers © vs. Demolition

The Rockers and Demolition had a good match. Shawn Michaels carried Janetty out there, but Janetty was only a few paces behind Shawn. Ax and Smash are looking like retirement is around the corner for them. After a Double Rocker Drop, Janetty pinned Smash to retain the WWF World Tag Team Championship.

Winners: ..and STILL WWF World Tag Team Champions, The Rockers

Time: 7:41

Rating: C+

We go back to Bischoff and McMahon at the booth.

What a title defense by the WWF World Tag Team Champions, Shawn Michaels and Marty Janetty! These two look like a force to be reckoned with in the tag team division!

Do I smell a break-up in the midst? Shawn looks to have higher hopes for himself than team up with Janetty all of his life. But then again, I bet Demolition thought about splitting, but they didn't.

Speaking of Demolition, they don't look to happy that they didn't win the WWF World Tag Team Championship tonight.

They'll get another shot...with that said, let's get our Intercontinental Title match underway!

Bret Hart © vs. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

This match was one of the best matches of the night. It was back and forth all through the match, neither had a very good advantage. Roddy got the sleeper hold in, but Bret fought out of it. Roddy also fought his way to the ropes while being locked in a Sharpshooter. Bret finally got the hard-fought win after he did a victory roll for the three.

Winner: ...and STILL the WWF Intercontinental Champion, Bret Hart

Time: 7:56

Rating: B

We are sent backstage where Jesse Ventura is now standing by the WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan!

Hello again, WWF fans! I am now standing by our WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan! Hulk, you came off of a loss against Randy Savage and Ted DiBiase at Prime Time Wrestling. Are you upset about that?

No, not really, brother. You see, I've always loved fights. Both Savage or DiBiase will be a good fight, brother. But at the end of the night, you will see Hulk Hogan reigning supreme at When Worlds Collide. That's a fact, brother.

Hulk, tonight you will be facing a long time former rival in Andre the Giant. What do you think about that?

Well, brother, Andre's a monster. He is one of the biggest and baddest dudes I've ever been in the ring against, and that's saying something. The fans here in Minneapolis are in for a war. Believe it brother.

Hulk Hogan walks off with the WWF Championship around his waist.

That match is next!

This match was another back-and-forth style match. Andre got the advantage in the later-part of the match. Hulk looked lost out there, not knowing where he was after Andre hit him a couple of times. He dropped, and then the oh-so-deadly BUTT DROP for the three count! Andre beat the champ!

Winner: Andre the Giant

Time: 7:39

We once again go to Bischoff and McMahon at the booth.

I...I'm shocked. Andre beat the champ! Hogan's now lost two straight! I can't believe this!

Hogan ain't looking too pretty going into When Worlds Collide. If he keeps losing, I think we've got a new WWF Champion.

Let's find out who will be facing Hogan at When Worlds Collide! Because, that match is next!

#1 Contendership Match

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase

These guys don't click at all. Randy had the advantage most of the bout. Ted tried to lock in the Million Dollar Dream, but it was reversed into a set up for the Savage Elbow. Three count, and we're gonna see Hogan vs. Savage at When Worlds Collide!

Winner: Randy Savage

Time: 7:32

Randy Savage has done it, he's going to When Worlds Collide to face Hogan for the WWF Championship!

...And the fans hate it...

Here comes Hogan right now!

The camera shows Hogan run down the ramp and stare down Savage in the ring.

For Eric Bischoff, I'm Vince McMahon. Good night, folks.

Show Rating: C+

WWF SUPERSTARS PREVIEW:

Our WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan is on a losing streak. He has lost two-in-a-row. He's defending the WWF Championship against former NWA World Heavyweight Champion, and WWF Intercontinental Champion, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. Can Steamboat become one of the very few that have won both the NWA and WWF Championships?

Also, the WWF Intercontinental Champion, Bret Hart will take on the #1 Contender, "Macho Man" Randy Savage in a non-title bout.

The WWF World Tag Team Titles will be defended, as The Rockers take on Collossal Connection!

WWF Superstars:

At The Grand Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles, California!

Watch it on FOX!

WWF Championship

Hulk Hogan © vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

Non-Title

Bret Hart vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

"Ravishing" Rick Rude vs. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Mr. Perfect vs. Ted DiBiase

The Rockers © vs. Colassal Connection

Ultimate Warrior vs. Mighty Hercules

Quick Pickz:

Hulk Hogan vs. Ricky Steamboat

Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage

Rick Rude vs. Brutus Beefcake

The Rockers vs. Colassal Connection

Dark Matches

Big Bossman def. Jim Neidhart

Honky Tonk Man def. Arn Anderson

WWF Superstars

September 7, 1989

Shown LIVE on FOX

At The Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles, California!

Attendance: 10,000 (SELL OUT!)

The camera fades in and it shows the sold out crowd in Los Angeles. It then pans out to Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff at the booth.

Welcome WWF fans to the September 7th edition of WWF Superstars! Alongside me to call this fantastic show is none other than Eric Bischoff! Eric, are you ready for this great show?

You betcha there, Vinnie Mac! We have an awesome show tonight, the WWF Championship is on the line! "Mr. Hulkamania" Hulk Hogan is defending his championship against the newly signed, former WWF Intercontinetal Champion, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat! That's going to be a great one!

It sure will be, Eric. But you're forgetting the other matches. The current WWF Intercontinental Champion, Bret Hart is taking on our number one contender to Hogan or Steamboat's WWF Championship, "Macho Man" Randy Savage! Also, "Ravishing" Rick Rude will be in action when he takes on our barber, Brutus Beefcake!

With that run-down of our big matches tonight, let's get WWF Superstars on the road!

Ultimate Warrior kept control of the match. You would've guessed it easy, but Warrior dominated the match. This was Warrior's first match since losing the WWF Intercontinental Championship to Bret Hart, and he did VERY good. The fans hated both of these guys, and this match got much heat from the fans. Warrior hit the Big Splash for the three count.

Winner: Ultimate Warrior

Time: 3:22

Rating: C-

We head to the backstage where Macho Man is standing alongside Jesse Ventura.

Hey WWF fans, alongside me, I have the number one contender, he is the Macho Man, Randy Savage!

OHH YEAH! The Macho Man is ready for action! Bret Hart better be ready too 'cause I'm comin' after 'em! After that, I'll be ready to compete for the title. So in a couple weeks, you'll be seeing Macho Man holding the WWF Championship for the second time! OOOHHHHH YEAHHHH!

Macho Man walks off, as The Rockers theme plays out in the set.

The Rockers vs. Colassal Connection

During the match, Vince said that the match was NOT for the titles as expected. Andre the Giant dominated The Rockers by himself the whole entire match. Shawn Michaels showed how resilent he was, as The Rockers suprisingly got Andre up for a Double Rocker Drop, and Shawn Michaels PINNED Andre cleanly!

Winners: The Rockers

Time: 7:52

Shawn Michaels slings one-half of the World Tag Team Titles over his shoulder. At the same time, he also he grabs a mic

I have one thing to say, and that's at When Worlds Collide, Marty and I are issuing an open challenge. We will be putting these precious title on the line. Any team can come on and face us.

Shawn drops the mic as Mr. Perfect's music plays.

During the match, Vince said that he does not know if Hogan will be defending the WWF Championship, since this is Steamboat's first match back. However, this was a back and forth bout. Ted had the better half though, and he hits the Fist Drop for the three.

Winner: Ted DiBiase

Time: 7:35

Rating: B-

Rick Rude vs. Brutus Beefcake

We went straight to the next match, and Vince said that there will suprisingly be no more promos, it'll be all matches! Rick Rude dominated Beefcake, and to no suprise, the Rude Awakening came. Rick Rude got a victory with a beautiful move.

Winner: Rick Rude

Time: 7:57

Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage

Four words: Match of the night. This match should've been the main event. Although it was a cheap finish, the crowd ate it up. Bret Hart got hit with a chair while Savage got frusterated, thus a DQ victory for our IC Champ.

Winner: Bret Hart

Time: 7:50

Rating: A+!

WWF Championship

Hulk Hogan © vs. Ricky Steamboat

The match was indeed for Hogan's title. Although it wasn't even close to the greatness of the Hart-Savage match, it was still good. Steamboat did good in his WWF Re-Debut. Hogan hit a nice Scoop Slam to get the pin to retain the most prestigious title in wrestling today. I see Ricky Steamboat facing Bret Hart for the WWF Intercontinental Championship at When Worlds Collide.

Winner: ...And STILL WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan

Time: 12:48

We go back to Vince and Eric at the booth.

What a great title defense by our WWF Champion! Eric, are you ready for When Worlds Collide?

Yeah! At Prime Time Wrestling, we will see the answer to The Rocker's Challenge, and we'll also find out who's gonna face Bret Hart for the WWF Intercontinental Championship!

WWF When Worlds Collide is only a week away, tune into Prime Time Wrestling on Monday to see some other matches made!

For Eric Bischoff, I'm Vince McMahon. Good night.

The camera fades.

Show Rating: B

Wooder's Blog

-September 8, 1989

Wow. What a day yesterday was.

While Superstars was running, I was talking to Jerry [Jarrett] (Owner of USWA). I approached him about a possible pact, that the World Wrestling Federation would be the parent company of the United States Wrestling Association. He agreed, looks like I'll be on a signing spree coming up.

Speaking of possible signing sprees, we grew to GLOBAL after last night's Superstars. We have fans everywhere now. Life is great.

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING PREVIEW:

Hulk Hogan barely overcame Ricky Steamboat to retain the WWF Championship. Tonight, Hulk Hogan has a chance to become the first person ever to hold both the WWF Championship and the WWF Intercontinental Championship at the same time. Can Hulk beat Bret for the IC Strap?

Also, speaking of the Intercontinental Championship, we'll find out the #1 Contender for the belt as Ricky Steamboat takes on Ted DiBiase and Mr. Perfect and Shawn Michaels in a fatal-four-way match.

We'll also find out who takes The Rockers's Challenge!

WWF Prime Time Wrestling:

At The San Antonio Arena in San Antonio, Texas!

Watch it on the USA Network!

Bret Hart © vs. Hulk Hogan

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior

#1 Contendership Match

Ricky Steamboat vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Mr. Perfect vs. Shawn Michaels

"American Dream" Dusty Rhodes vs. "The King of Wrestling" Jacques Rougeau

Demolition vs. Colassal Connection vs. The Brainbusters

Quick Pickz:

Bret Hart vs. Hulk Hogan

Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior

Steamboat vs. DiBiase vs. Perfect vs. Michaels

Dusty Rhodes vs. Jacques Rougeau

Demolition vs. CC vs. Brainbusters

Sorry for the crappy results, I was putting the final bits of commentary, and then my computer hit back...ugh...

PWI Newsletter

WWF Prime Time Wrestling Quick Results:

Darky: Marty Jannetty def. Jim Neidhart

Colassal Connection def. Demolition & The Brainbusters

-Colassal Connection to face The Rockers at WWC.

-Bret Hart did an interview with Jesse Ventura, stating that he would have his name with former WWF Champions as time goes on.

"The King of Wrestling" Jacques Rougeau def. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Ricky Steamboat def. Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect, & Shawn Michaels

-Steamboat to face Bret Hart at WWC.

Randy Savage def. Ultimate Warrior

Bret Hart © def. Hulk Hogan to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship

• 2 weeks later...

WWF WRESTLING CHALLENGE:

The World Wrestling Federation invades Tucson, Arizona for WWF Wrestling Challenge! Tonight's WWF Wrestling Challenge will include Hulk Hogan defending the WWF Championship against Andre the Giant!

Also, Bret Hart and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat will team up and face The Rockers for the WWF World Tag Team Championship! Can Bret and Ricky co-exist before When Worlds Collide?

With Randy Savage taking on the newly self-proclaimed "King of Wrestling" Jacques Rougeau, will the King become 2-0 since giving himself the moniker? Or will Randy prove too tough of a challenge for Jacques?

Will we see new champions, and perhaps new stars made tonight? Tune into WWF Wrestling Challenge to find out!

WWF Wrestling Challenge:

At The McKale Memorial Center in Tucson, Arizona!

Watch it LIVE on the USA Network!

WWF Championship

Hulk Hogan © vs. Andre the Giant

The Rockers © vs. Bret Hart and Ricky Steamboat

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "King of Wrestling" Jacques Rougeau

Roddy Piper vs. Ultimate Warrior

Mr. Perfect vs. Arn Anderson

Jim Neidhart vs. Rick Rude

Dark Matches:

Tito Santana & Rick Martel vs. Tugboat & Earthquake

Red Rooster vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts vs. Honky Tonk Man vs. Big Bossman

Quick Pickz:

Rockers vs. Hart & Steamboat

Randy Savage vs. Jacques Rougeau

Roddy Piper vs. Ultimate Warrior

Jim Neidhart vs. Rick Rude

Santana & Martel vs. Tugboat & Earthquake

Red Rooster vs. Jake Roberts vs. Honky Tonk Man vs. Bossman

• 5 weeks later...

Dark Matches

Rick Martel & Tito Santana def. Earthquake & Tugboat

Jake "The Snake" Roberts def. Red Rooster, Big Bossman, & The Honky Tonk Man

WWF Wrestling Challenge

September 14, 1989

Shown LIVE on the USA Network

At The McKale Memorial Center in Tucson, Arizona!

Attendance: 7,249

The camera fades in and it shows the wild Tucson crowd. It then pans out to Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain Heenan at the booth.

Hello everybody, I'm Gorilla Monsoon along with my broadcast partner, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, and we are completely ready to call WWF Wrestling Challenge!

Don't put words into my mouth, Monsoon.

Well, we have titles on the line tonight. I can tell this will be a fantastic evening. Now, let's get Wrestling Challenge on the road!

Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart vs. Rick Rude

This was more Rude's match, but Neidhart had some action too. Rude showed a lot of technicality here, and it didn't surprise this wild crowd when Neidhart gave in to a Full Nelson. After the match, Rude called out anyone to face him at When Worlds Collide. Mr. Perfect answered the call and the two stared down at each other.

Winner: Rick Rude

Time: 7:41

This match went all over the place...literally. At the eight minute mark, Anderson pulled Perfect out of the ring. They brawled throughout the count. This led to a double count out.

Winner: Draw

Time: 8:28

Rating: C-

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper vs. Ultimate Warrior

The crowd was very vocal about their hate of Warrior. They just don't like his wrestling. Period. The match went back in forth, but Warrior dominated the latter part. Exhausted, he ended it with a Big Splash, to the hate of the crowd.

Winner: Ultimate Warrior

Time: 7:49

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "King of Wrestling" Jacques Rougeau

In perhaps the biggest upset of the night, Jacques Rougeau had the biggest win of his life. Savage controlled most of the match until Andre the Giant ran down and threw him around. Jacques hit the Caddle Prod for the win. After the match, Andre called off the Rockers vs. Colassal Connection match.

Winner: Jacques Rougeau

Time: 8:09

The Rockers © vs. Bret Hart & Ricky Steamboat

This was a good bout, not the greatest...just good. We saw major high flying action, and Bret's amazing technicality. Right before the end of the match, Bret attacked and walked out on Steamboat, to MAJOR heat. After Bret's heel turn, Steamboat managed to fiend off The Rockers by himself, hitting a Flying Body Press on Shawn Michaels to become one half of the NEW WWF World Tag Team Champions. Question is: How long will the reign last?

Winners: ...And NEW World Tag Champions, Bret Hart & Ricky Steamboat

Time: 7:54

WWF Championship

Hulk Hogan © vs. Andre the Giant

Hogan felt a lot of pressure on him, as he lost to Andre just last week. This match went back and forth. Around the end, Randy Savage cost Andre the match. Hogan and Savage store down to end the show.

Winner: ...And STILL WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan

Time: 7:51

Rating: B+

Show Rating: B

• 4 months later...

Wooder's Blog

-September 15, 1989

Well, a good Wrestling Challenge tonight. I'm really looking forward to tonight's Superstars and our pay-per-view When Worlds Collide is tonight as well. We have a stacked card. Let's see how that fares.

I also have a few announcements to make. Unemployed Japanese talent, Mitsuharu Misawa rejected contract negotiations with us, saying that he can make more money competing in Asia. I wish him luck in All-Japan Pro Wrestling, if they sign him.

WWF has come to a contract agreement with a British wrestler named the Dynamite Kid. He is not over enough in the States yet to go straight to the WWF, so I'm going to send him to USWA to develop into a star.

Speaking of contract negotiations, I have started negotiations with an independant talent named Too Cold Scorpio and another UK star named Davey Boy Smith. The only one that has a chance on skipping USWA is Smith.

Vince has been getting on my case for having a lack of big stars on my roster. Well, with the lack of great popular guys on the market, I guess I'll have to make some people. I already have started to push a few guys, let's see how that turns out.

WWF SUPERSTARS PREVIEW:

When Worlds Collide is TONIGHT, but we will have an edition of Superstars first. Special start time of 3:00 CST!

We have a huge main event! Can Bret and Ricky co-exist? What about the new third man that is coming into play?

And then comes the 20-man Battle Royal, everyone not booked tonight will be booked here. Well, twenty of them...catch this live, 3:00 PM CST! SPECIAL START TIME! LIVE ON FOX!

WWF Superstars:

At The New Orleans Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana!

Watch it on FOX!

Bret Hart & Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat © vs. The Rockers vs. Colassal Connection

Rick Rude vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Mr. Perfect vs. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

20-Man Pinfall or Submission Only Battle Royal to detirmine a third man in the Intercontinental Championship Match!

PLUS!

The first ever edition of Prime Time with Mean Gene! The first ever guest is the MACHO MAN!

"The World's Strongest Man" Dino Bravo takes on "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan and "King" Jacques Rougeau takes on the former WWF Intercontinental Champion, Honky Tonk Man in pre-show dark matches!

Quick Pickz:

Hart/Steamboat vs. The Rockers vs. Colassal Connection

Rick Rude vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Brutus Beefcake

Hulk Hogan vs. Jacques Rougeau

Mr. Perfect vs. Roddy Piper

20-Man Battle Royal

Dino Bravo vs. Jim Duggan

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dtrot021" data-cite="dtrot021" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="21363" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div style="text-align:center;"><div><strong><span style="font-size:14px;">WWF CHAMPIONS:</span></strong></div><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> WWF Championship:</strong></p><p><strong> Holder: Hulk Hogan (2)</strong></p><p><strong> (Since Unknown)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> WWF Intercontinental Championship:</strong></p><p><strong> Holder: Bret Hart</strong></p><p><strong> (Since September 1, 1989)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> WWF World Tag Team Championship:</strong></p><p><strong> Holders: Bret Hart (2) & Ricky Steamboat</strong></p><p><strong> (Since September 14, 1989)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> Royal Rumble:</strong></p><p><strong> Winner: (1989) Big John Studd</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> King of the Ring Tournament:</strong></p><p><strong> Winner: (1989) Tito Santana</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> A Hitman/Dragon tag team and a KotR win for Tito....you sir,are my hero.</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong> great match out of Hart/Savage(naturally)...what suprises me is Rick Rude carrying slightly lesser talent to a better rated match than what I thought would be a good match not once,but twice....I say put Ravishing with Heenan and there's your guy to take the belt off of Hogan when the time comes.</strong></p></div></blockquote>

• 4 months later...
There would NEVER be that many big matches on free TV in 1989. And Bret had a tag partner, his name was Jim Neidhart. They didn't have triple threat matches back then, and a lot of this booking is really bad. You're doing too many title changes, and too many title matches on TV. What the hell is When Worlds Collide? Why change the names of events when they don't need to be? I mean seriously, I get that you're having fun with the game but this is more like WWF 1999 with a WWF 1989 roster, and that's not a good thing. I'm sorry, but this is really, really bad. Have you even seen any WWF from 1989?

There would NEVER be that many big matches on free TV in 1989. And Bret had a tag partner, his name was Jim Neidhart. They didn't have triple threat matches back then, and a lot of this booking is really bad. You're doing too many title changes, and too many title matches on TV. What the hell is When Worlds Collide? Why change the names of events when they don't need to be? I mean seriously, I get that you're having fun with the game but this is more like WWF 1999 with a WWF 1989 roster, and that's not a good thing. I'm sorry, but this is really, really bad. Have you even seen any WWF from 1989?

I'm sorry I don't fit your taste. You could've just left your opinion to yourself though. Here's my reasons for doing what I'm doing:

More big matches equals a higher rating for the show. With less big matches, the show gets a C+, which says that I should've done better. The only alternative I thought of was bigger matches. Plus, it got me globally known without having a PPV yet, right? I take it as a success.

I know the Hart Foundation was a prominent tag team back then, but I want to push Bret as a singles competitor. The title win was a mistake, I'll get to that later.

I believe they called triple threat matches three-way-dances back then. Explain to me what you don't like about my booking and I'll try to fix it. It's better to learn from your mistakes

The reason for the pile of title matches? Only titles I think I'm defending too much is the Tag Titles. I have to do three shows a week, and I think I'm spicing it up with title matches. The reason for the title changes is that the CPU picks the winner of my matches. I rarely choose the winner for the regular matches. (I.E. Rougeau over Hogan to spark a push for Rougeau)

WWF had four pay-per-views back then, Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series. I decided to add eight more pay-per-views so we had a pay-per-view each month, like the present day. I don't know what for, just to have more shows I guess. More shows = more exposure. More exposure = more money for the company. I created the Pay-Per-View names off the top of my head. There you go. That's what When Worlds Collide is.

Yes, I am having fun with TEW07. It's a great game when it doesn't freeze up on Vista. WWF 1999 with a 1989 roster? Whatever you say. And no, I have not seen any actual matches from WWE 1989, just some from NWA. But I have enough wrestling knowledge to know what was good and what was bad from the year. Who works well together and who doesn't.

But yeah, every person is subjected to their own opinion, and I respect yours. You just didn't have to bash a diary that's near dead, buddy. Oh, and don't take it to heart, I'm just defending myself.

Well, I might be continuing this diary. I don't know right now.

dtrot021,

I agree with the way you are booking your shows. Because even though the WWF was not run that way back then, there is no way for you to reproduce how they ran things back then. Like you said, the way the game is set up is you will do better ratings by having star vs. star then star vs. jobber. So what other choices do you have? I think you have done a good job with this diary and remember if you are having fun with it who cares what others think.

Archived