D.O.T.T. v3.0 Released!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon guys was that really necessary to delete my post? All I want is some help in getting this mod which I've heard so much about. Everybody seems to be able to get it but me. Is this a problem for everyone else or just me? :?

How long does it take for the territories to start rising to National level?

Calling from my memories of the testing done on this last version, it generally occurred in the first half of '84, but the exact month (and company) varied from game to game.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sodacake" data-cite="Sodacake" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="21986" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How long does it take for the territories to start rising to National level?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The usual scenario I see is either AJPW or NJPW(sometimes both) go National in the first three months.After that either WWF or MACW(usually WWF) goes National sometime in late '83/early '84,the other one usually follow around 6 months later.AWA tends to be a wild card as sometimes it goes and sometimes it doesn't at all.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
Something VERY minor I noticed:In Joe Frazier's bio it says he ref'd the Tully Blanchard/Gino Hernandez match;if it's the match I am thinking of, the ref was not Frazier,it was another pro boxer, Ernie Shavers....end of the match saw Tully take a poke a Shavers,Shavers nailed him with a right,which led to Gino hitting a flying body press to win the match.

Something VERY minor I noticed:In Joe Frazier's bio it says he ref'd the Tully Blanchard/Gino Hernandez match;if it's the match I am thinking of, the ref was not Frazier,it was another pro boxer, Ernie Shavers....end of the match saw Tully take a poke a Shavers,Shavers nailed him with a right,which led to Gino hitting a flying body press to win the match.

Nice catch! And absolutely correct.

I have that match in the Wrestling Gold set - along with the breakup match vs. Don Carson's Grapplers.

Nice catch! And absolutely correct.

I have that match in the Wrestling Gold set - along with the breakup match vs. Don Carson's Grapplers.

You got it,I love my Wrestling Gold set,watch it all the time and it only cost me $15. :)

That was one of the most differently booked heel turns I have seen,the face team wins the match for the tag titles,THEN Tully turns....kind of a nice change from the "Face turns on his partner during the match" formula....it'a shame Gino kind of bailed on SWCW right after,I think a big feud(and going back to working with Boesch instead of running opposite), probably would have drawn mone....but still the Tully turn here,along with Peter Maivia's turn on Bob Backlund are two of my favorite "Team team breaks up and feuds" angles.

Kinda odd when you think about it though,within two years of that match Gino left us,and Tully was in MACW as a part of probably the greatest heel stable of all time AND doing what is probably THE best hardcore type match of all time with Magnum.The Grapplers had gone back to Memphis (sans Carson IIRC) for a time,eventually #2 would remove the mask and wrestle on top in Memphis as "The Dirty Boy" for the CWA until they shut down,then for the USWA...heck I think he still sometimes does indy shows now....meanwhile #1 would go to PNW and book for Don Owens until 1991 until they went out of business....and SWCW went out around '84 or '85, they'd be replaced by Texas All State Wrestling run by Fred Behrends.....jeez,now that i think of it The Grapplers were kind of like the kiss of death for promotions in those days.

Worthless trivia....Don Carson's tag team "brother", Ron Carson,went on to fame as........."Captain Redneck" himself, Dick Murdoch.

I, too, am a big fan of the Wrestling Gold series ... save one thing that bugs the crap out of me:

The sole reason I bought the series was for the 'Spoiler' matches; Jardine is probably my all-time favorite. However, not one match of his is on the darned set - despite the fact that both Meltzer and Cornette claimed the contrary - in particular the Brody & Scott Casey vs. Kiniski & The Spoiler bout from Blanchard's Southwest Championship.

And these people are 'noted wrestling historians'? If a silly fan such as myself can tell Don Jardine and Siegfried Stanke apart, why couldn't those two?

Regardless, it's a fantastic set.

I, too, am a big fan of the Wrestling Gold series ... save one thing that bugs the crap out of me:

The sole reason I bought the series was for the 'Spoiler' matches; Jardine is probably my all-time favorite. However, not one match of his is on the darned set - despite the fact that both Meltzer and Cornette claimed the contrary - in particular the Brody & Scott Casey vs. Kiniski & The Spoiler bout from Blanchard's Southwest Championship.

And these people are 'noted wrestling historians'? If a silly fan such as myself can tell Don Jardine and Siegfried Stanke apart, why couldn't those two?

Regardless, it's a fantastic set.

Yeah,Stanke,and IIRC, Frank "The CWA Spoiler" Morrell are on there but no Don Jardine...I have a feeling Corny and The Meltz got their Spoilers all mixed up....I guess it could happen to anyone lol

Still it was worth the few dollars I paid for it just for the SWCW and Bockwinkel stuff alone, not to mention The Sheik and my favorite Bobby Heenan "match" of all time.....for a soft looking guy "The Brain" is a really good bumper.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just want to say thank you so much, this mod is just brilliant in every way.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me play R2L. I'm finding it really difficult and find I am just constantly getting squashed. Is there any promotions I should try to join? Any tips would be greatly appriciated!

Hey, I just want to say thank you so much, this mod is just brilliant in every way.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me play R2L. I'm finding it really difficult and find I am just constantly getting squashed. Is there any promotions I should try to join? Any tips would be greatly appriciated!

If you skills are a bit low, I'd say always start with the smaller promotions like SECW,AGPW,ASW(Canada)...the paydays won't be great but it'll be enough to start developing plus you also won't have to work with too many of the REALLY over/good wrestlers who are hard to beat even at top level.The other thing you can do is form a tag team with someone a little higher up than you then let them carry the matches while you use the cash from the wins to improve.

The other things I can tell you at the beginning:

1. Build your Power and Toughness enough to be able to use "Brace" against most strikes,at the low levels it's ALOT more reliable than trying to slip or block a punch.

2.Technical & Mat Wrestling are your friends....use standing holds, and quick amatuer style takedowns followed by 'Grounded' holds to suck up all your opponent's momentum,it'll be much harder for him to block/slip/avoid/counter when he's out of momentum,plus the high success rate makes them good to also slowly suck energy away from a more superior opponent to set up your bigger moves.Basically what you are looking to do is darin away all your oppenent's momentum to wreck his defense,then hit your "Momementum +" moves to get yourself on a roll and make it a nightmare for the other guy to try and come back.Also,check your opponent's condition at the start of the match,if you see an area that starts off low,target it, then if you have a submission that affects that body part(I tend to always keep a Sleeper,Figure Four,Ab Stretch/Boston Crab,Arm Bar Submission in my arsenal so I can target anything I need to),then slap it on when you get the chance.

So doesn't this mean that technical wrestler's are the best to be?

No,definitely not....powerhouse type guys like Billy Graham,The Road Warriors,etc. can do very well(and often do against me)....the thing is you have to mix it up....alot of your power/brawling/strong style moves are of the attack type(that is to say,they add to your momentum)....adding to your momentum is good,it makes easier to do your moves,BUT even those guys have a basic array of wear down moves(moves that decrease your opponets momentum).Also,generally the higher level moves almost all tend to add to your momentum by two or three,as opposed to one for your low level moves.It's not the only way to do it,just IMO your best bet is to start off with little takedowns and wear down moves at the low level to make it hard to be countered....then as your opponent weakens,the door is wide open to hit your big moves to very quickly get momentum on your side.

If you watch someone like Hulk Hogan or Billy Graham in a cpu vs cpu exhibition,they waty I described is how the computer works it;at the beginning basic bodyslams and alot of headlocks,arm locks and the like to get the opponent on empty, then as soon as the opponent is at medium, they open up with your punch flurries,press slams,and the like to get momentum on their side in a hurry,then splatter the opponent with a couple huge moves to set up the finisher.

The technique of work a body part is good when you start out simply because most guys who have been around for a while tend to have low durability or one body part or another,so if you hit that area frequently,then land a finisher that works the same area,you have a much better chance of success than just randomly hitting different body parts.

Staying with the much smaller companies also helps since you won't have to face such a high quality of opponents,allowing you a chance to garner some wins and build up overness,giving you more of the all important energy,which allows you to hang with the well known guys...in that way it is very accurate to the territory days,when rookie wrestlers would spend quite a bit of time on the bottom before getting any sort of push.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if you would want to include it but when Dangerous Danny Spivey was in the WWF he used the sleeper as his finisher for one of his characters. The character's name was Waylon Mercy, a psychopath. Here's his TV debut match as Waylon Mercy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived