Official Major Upsets Thread

<p>Maybe not an upset, but very surprising. Sean Morrison took a UD win over undefeated Li-Kong Ho to win the AlPHA-1 Lightweight Title. Why surprising? Because in his last 8 fights "Little Dragon" had ended the undefeated winstreaks of Phillip Zieske, Sukarno, Atep of Indonesia and Fiero Lermontov and also defeated Luis Basora (2 times) and Sean Morrison once before.</p><p> </p><p>

One month later James Foster ends Hazzan Fezzik's undefeated record and one month after that Datuk ends Carlos De Guia's undefeated reign.</p>

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>Mikey Wallace managed to land a very, very lucky shot on Lukas Mellberg to defeat him for my Middleweight title. I thought "well shucks, kinda shocked he won but I'll take it."</p><p> </p><p>

Decided next month he should defend against Malcom O'Hearn... figure it'd be a good match, but that Wallace would retain (something the announcers agreed with).</p><p> </p><p>

But wouldn't you know it, O'Hearn trapped Wallace in a Muay Thai clinch almost at the very start of the match and bludgeoned him with knees until he got knock out cold. In all honesty, I'm once again shocked.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dead_Jester" data-cite="Dead_Jester" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="22077" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sigma Light-Heavyweight Champion Niko Soldo fought Mike Watson in the main event of my last show, the pre fight run down basically said that Soldo was going into the fight as a major underdog with no advantages at all. After three rounds going back and forth between the two leaving both men at the point of exhaustion Soldo comes out in the fourth round and lands a head kick to KO Watson.<p> </p><p> I was really surprised about this one, i seriously thought Watson was going to destroy Soldo in the opening round.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Soldo looks like a Monster in my games, he's 17-0 winning 15 by KO, 2 by Sub</p>

I just had Grant "The Long Shot" Capelli trap Kenneth Toadspew against the cage for 3 Rounds to earn a 30-27 Unanimous Decision. Granted, it's 2009 and Spew the Glue is almost through, but really?

Capelli strikes again, this time Lay'N'Praying a decision over "Slow Hand" Bret Clement. Capelli still has no belts in the bottom 3 rows, and no chin.

I just had Folee Caffetare (or something like that) pull two major upsets back to back....and to think I hired him away from World Vale Tudo Council because I needed another can! He just KO'ed Bryan Van Den Hawe (who was in a 7 fight winstreak) and then KO'ed William Harrison, who was 15-0 and on his way to be #1 contender at LH Champion Hyuk-Shyuk Lim (who KO'ed Tadamso Yamada). Now I am thinking of having him challenge Lim on TV (since it would be poor on PPV) and see if he actually wins the title. Folee is 10-6 (2-0 ALPHA-1) and he has about 5 skills that have no belts on them.

I just had Folee Caffetare (or something like that) pull two major upsets back to back....and to think I hired him away from World Vale Tudo Council because I needed another can! He just KO'ed Bryan Van Den Hawe (who was in a 7 fight winstreak) and then KO'ed William Harrison, who was 15-0 and on his way to be #1 contender at LH Champion Hyuk-Shyuk Lim (who KO'ed Tadamso Yamada). Now I am thinking of having him challenge Lim on TV (since it would be poor on PPV) and see if he actually wins the title. Folee is 10-6 (2-0 ALPHA-1) and he has about 5 skills that have no belts on them.

It's the swastika tattoo on his neck. It feeds him **** strength.

In my current game, Gonzalo Ramos, the Mexican boxer whose only ability is to look exciting while throwing sloppy bombs, just KOed Go Yamamoto early in the 2nd round. He used to be XCC champ earlier and beat Ross Smith and Nicholas Bretton for it, both solid fighters.

I hate him so much.

Yeah, Satinho is 17-0 in my game, my Alpha-1 Heavyweight Champion after beating Terron Cabal (who had beaten Foster, who had beaten Fezzik). He has 3 defenses, over Hiro Arai (ending his undefeated record), over Jin Katou (who was 8-0 since moving up to Heavyweight) and over Aleksander Ivanov (who was in a 10 fight winstreak). Next up for Satinho is James Foster.

I have the best Heavyweight Division in the world and Satinho rules all.

Murilo Santinho

Hazzan Fezzik

James Foster

Raul Hughes

Terron Cabal

Hiro Arai

Aleksander Ivanov

Rav Kapur

Sylvester Collins

Wilson Franklyn

Tim Boyer

Christopher Sharp

Eien Kawano

Juntaro Honma

Renato (undefeated at 13-0, could be next for Satinho)

Kazetanne Fuji

Looks like a great division to me. I also had Papaniponauo (or whatever) but dropped him to LH, Stafford Alois, Norman Pike and Gunnar Nilsson retired, Palmer Lette and Kikuchi have faded so much that they are basically cans and I have an undefeated Kurt McDonald waiting in the wings to join the elite. Not to mention a Chuck Dooley regen (named Larry Barnett) that is 7-0 and has knocked out all his opponents in the 1st round.

Just witnessed another upset. In the most boring ALPHA-1 Middleweight Title fight ever, Bernard Blue (23-6) defeats Buddy Garner (He was 26-0) by Unanimous Decision to win the belt.

If we take a look at Blue's record, he has only beaten cans. The only "upset" of sorts he pulled off before was against Kramer Mayweather by a flash KO in round 2. The rest of his wins came against cans or "gatekeepers" like Jerezo, Mario de Souza, Gempachi Higa and Juro Fukuzawa. He had lost in every title fight he had before, including twice to Stuart Strange and once to Heiji Endo.

Meanwhile, Garner had defeated Marteen DeVries, Mal Phel Roby, Neil Napier and Stuart Strange to win the title and had defended the belt once over Tadamso Yamada (who I dropped to MW after he lost the LHW title to Hyuk-Syuk Lim) in a super fight. I guess maybe all those big opponents got him tired or something, because there is no chance in hell he should have lost to Blue.

Milton Harvey score three straight upsets in a single night.

First he took down Stafford Alois, then Rick Stanley and finally Jeff Carlton, all by submission, to win a tournament and a shot at champion James Foster. Of course Foster destroyed him in the title match in less than a minute but part of me so wanted to see the underdog win that title.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing as the UFC... Luis Cane went from being a contender to a middle man in my Light Heavyweight Division. He found himself choked out by Rich Franklin, Knocked Out of reality by Shogun Rua... After that fight I took a different approach and decided to give him a small push in momentum after each victory. So I gave him a relatively easy fight against Mike Ciesnolevicz, which he ended up winning by Split Decision... Wow, I was starting to lose hope in him, and he's one of my fav. fighters in the UFC.

Afterwards I put him against an equally struggling Houston Alexander. Cane spent a round feeling Alexander out on the feet, which is saying something considering how explosive Houston is in the first round. At the beginning of the second round Cane came out and drilled Houston with a headkick 19 seconds into the round.

Afterwards I decided I needed to do some weight class changes to spice my game up, and I moved him down to Middleweight.

This is where it gets good... I decided I wanted to feed Cane to my #1 contender for the middleweight title, Denis Kang. Kang had been on a pretty big win streak and was absolutely on fire... So you'll understand how surprised I was when this happened...

>The co-main event is up next. 'Bahna' Luis Arthur Cane fights Denis Kang in the UFC Middleweight division.

>Round one begins!

>Kang must have gotten tagged right on the button, as he goes down from what looked like a simple punch!

>Cane doesn't have time to capitalise though, as Kang recovers his wits quickly.

>Cane hurdles over Kang, looking to land a diving punch!

>It hits! Kang is knocked unconscious by the flying punch!

>The winner, by Knock Out; Luis Arthur Cane!

>Official Result: 'Bahna' Luis Arthur Cane defeats Denis Kang (Knock Out in 0:51 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Apparently Cane didn't like the way his luck had been going, and decided to channel the spirit of Pre-Wanderlei-Silva-Destructionx3 Kazushi Sakuraba. Complete shock to me. Well, that's my story.

leading into my paperview UFC 118: Road To Glory

Rich Franklin who was coming off two loses to Ricardo Arona & Lyoto Machida

i wanted to give him someone he could easily run right through so i put him into a match with Nate Loughran who was coming off a loss to Ed Herman in his previous match, Nate would then run through Rich Franklin and score a first round submission over the former middleweight champion and i was like WTF

<p>>I'd say that was definitely 10-9 in favour of da Guia.</p><p>

>There's the bell and round number two begins!</p><p>

>Between rounds, his corner told da Guia to try and use counter striking in this round.</p><p>

>da Guia hits a kick to the body.</p><p>

>Arteta counters a jab by hitting a barrage of big punches!</p><p>

>The referee is forced to jump in and stop the match!</p><p>

>The winner, by TKO; Diego Arteta!</p><p>

>Official Result: Diego 'Apocalypse' Arteta defeats Carlos da Guia (TKO in 0:50 of round 2). The match was rated as being Good.</p><p> </p><p>

Arteta was 6-0 and I only put him against da Guia as he was the only viable contender. I expected Carlos to slaughter the youngster but I am quite glad he didnt.</p>

<p>After going 5-0, Arteta just got a title shot in my game against Regueiro. Unfortunately for Diego, he suffered the same fate as everyone else who has gone against Spanish Silk -- he got submitted in the first round.</p><p> </p><p>

Couple of interesting things in my game from the year end awards. I've completed 2 years and Jakuchu Abe has won Upset of the Year both times. In 1999 he beat Jorge Hormazabal and in 2000 he beat Noach Van Der Capellen.</p><p> </p><p>

Van Der Capellen had quite the year in 2000 -- he was in the Fight of the Year when he TKOed Datuk Ong Ka Ting, suffered the Knockout of the Year at the hands of Diego Arteta and suffered the aforementioned Upset of the Year to Abe.</p><p> </p><p>

Finally, Buddy Garner has garnered (sorry) Submission of the Year both times -- against Neil Napier in 1999 and Matthew Dean in 2000.</p>

This is not so much of an upset regarding the names, but regarding the situation: yes.

Tomoji Takaoka (the fat sumo who debuts as a new worker) beated my champ in an "awful" rated match, then faced in Wes Hersch in the finals for the title. 2X15 rounds, Takaoka dominated the first round, receiving 10-8 scores from every judge. I was like "f*, I don't want him to be my champ.. ****.." Then Hersch won the last round, receiving 10-7 scores from each judge. I was like ":eek: YES! YES! YES!!!!" ..if you know what I mean.

May not be an upset but this is really weird

Thiago Alves had left me early in 2010, its now 2013 and he has made his return but has gone up a weight to compete in the struggling Middleweight division, I feed Karn Grigoryan to him in which he dominates Karn, I then put him up against retiring Frank Shamrock and he dominated him early on in the first round by T.K.O, now the weird thing starts, Thiago Alves Fights Shinya Aoki, with the winner fighting Michael Bisping at The Big One, Shinya dominates the whole fight with 4 seconds left of the last round Thiago pulls off a knock out and shocks me, right next challenge Michael Bisping i really expected Bisping to dominate after looking through the play by play, but exactly like the Shinya Aoki fight he gets caught by a lucky shot by Thiago which drops Michael with 4 seconds to go and then pounds on him to end the fight and win the champion

May not be an upset but this is really weird

Thiago Alves had left me early in 2010, its now 2013 and he has made his return but has gone up a weight to compete in the struggling Middleweight division, I feed Karn Grigoryan to him in which he dominates Karn, I then put him up against retiring Frank Shamrock and he dominated him early on in the first round by T.K.O, now the weird thing starts, Thiago Alves Fights Shinya Aoki, with the winner fighting Michael Bisping at The Big One, Shinya dominates the whole fight with 4 seconds left of the last round Thiago pulls off a knock out and shocks me, right next challenge Michael Bisping i really expected Bisping to dominate after looking through the play by play, but exactly like the Shinya Aoki fight he gets caught by a lucky shot by Thiago which drops Michael with 4 seconds to go and then pounds on him to end the fight and win the champion

why was Aoki fighting at middleweight? That is more surprising then anything else in that story.

Archived