ECW ~ Birth Of Extreme

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/TheMayneEvent/ecw_banner_dvd.jpg

In 1992 Tri-State Wrestling Alliance was sold to Tod Gordon who renamed the promotion Eastern Championship Wrestling. ECW was a member of the National Wrestling Alliance. Eddie Gilbert served as head booker until a falling out with Gordon. In September 1993 Gilbert was replaced by Paul Heyman.

It is 1993 and Eastern Championship Wrestling is about to withdrawl from the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). Tod Gordon and Paul Heyman are running ECW and have big plans for the world title which belongs to the NWA. The future of ECW is about to change.

ECW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Shane Douglas

ECW TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

Owen Hart

ECW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Eddie Gilbert & Dark Patriot

~ECW ROSTER~

Face

Heel

MAIN EVENT

Owen Hart

Sandman

Sabu

Terry Funk

Abdullah The Butcher

Raven

Shane Douglas

UPPER MIDCARD

Balls Mahoney

Headhunter A

Headhunter B

Johnny Grunge

Rocco Rock

Axl Rotten

Chris Benoit

Ian Rotten

MIDCARD

Stevie Richards

Tommy Dreamer

Eddie Gilbert

Bubba Ray Dudley

D-Von Dudley

Johnny Hotbody

Tazz

LOWER MIDCARD

Al Snow

Dark Patriot

Crash The Terminator

Rob Van Dam

Super Destroyer #1

Super Destroyer #2

OPENERS

Mikey Whipwreck

Glen Jacobs

Lance Storm

MANAGERS

Beulah McGillicutty

James Mitchell

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>NEW BOOKER FOR ECW</strong></span></span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

ECW owner Tod Gordon and Paul Heyman announced James Hartley would be taking over as booker for ECW. Hartley takes the place of Eddie Gilbert. ECW stated they don't want there booker active as a wrestler and feels Gilbert as a booker and champion looks bad for the promotion.</p><p> </p><p>

Hartley a 26 year old booker has been a wrestling booker for the past 7 years. He has booked for several promotions in the tri-state area with much success. He spoke with Wrestling Insider reporter Lexi York.</p><p> </p><p>

"I'm very excited to get my big break in the wrestling business here with ECW. You can expect some new additions to the roster in the next few weeks. When you have new additions there is always that chance for the need to sever some ties already existing in ECW."</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;"><strong>DIARY OF A BOOKER</strong></span></span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

I have had the pleasure of seeing the best wrestling in the world in the tri-state area during my career. I have seen some great wrestlers and some that will one day be big stars. Possibly right here in ECW. I like to keep the fans in "the know" so I wanted to make a quick entry to the diary by looking at some wrestlers that just may end of in ECW someday.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bam Bam Bigalow</strong></p><p>

Bigalow is a big man from New Jersey. I saw him wrestle a few times before he was discovered by the WWF. He went to the finals of the King of the Ring losing to Bret Hart. Could really shine as a hardcore wrestler.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>THUG LIFE</strong></p><p>

THUG Life is a group of young rookies who have three members I think could make it big one day. Rhino, Sexton Hardcastle, and Christian Cage are three I would love to see in ECW soemday. They all possess great charisma.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Brian Pillman</strong></p><p>

Brian is one half of the best tag team in the business today, The Hollywood Blondes. He is with WCW right now but from what I heard they plan to split him and Steve Austin up. Neither are happy about this and I could see them both leave WCW. If they do I'll be there to pick up the scraps.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>James Mitchell</strong></p><p>

This guy could be one of the best managers ever. If we could find him an imposing wrestler to manage we may be able to make great use of him. he should manage a wrestler who can be very dominating.</p>

WRESTLING INSIDER

WWE officials announced the releases of several superstars today. Owen Hart, Raven, Skinner, and Alundra Blaze were all released.

ECW is rumored to have reached deals with several superstars that will be eligible to work there next PPV. ECW is without a TV deal as of right now. Al Snow, Rob Van Dam, Chris Benoit, Lance Storm, James Mitchell as well as some others have reportedly signed with ECW.

ECW HEATWAVE PREVIEW

The Dudley's vs Headhunters

ECW TV Championship

Jimmy Snuka vs Johnny Hotbody

ECW Tag Team Championship

Bad Breed vs The Gilbert's

Don Muroco vs Sandman

ECW World Championship

Sabu vs Shane Douglas vs Tito Santana

ECW HEATWAVE

Reported By Chris Hargrove (Wrestling Insider)

Welcome to ECW Heatwave 1993 - we're live from Hammerstein Ballroom in New York. Joey Styles welcomes everyone as promos air on titantron. Arena is rocking.

Mikey Whipwreck is in Paul Heyman's office asking for a chance to be a part of tonight's pay per view. James Mitchell interrupts telling Whipwreck he has an opponent for him right now. James Mitchell walks to ring with 7'0" 300 pound Glen Jacobs.

Glen Jacobs w/ James Mitchell vs Mikey Whipwreck

Jacobs dominated the match from the start. Fans really liked the pairing of Jacobs and Mitchell. Really drew alot of heat from fans seated around me. Jacobs finished Mikey with a powerbomb to pick up the win.

The Dudley's vs Headhunters (Tables Match)

Despite being a tables match it was rather boring. I can see ECW pushing the Dudley's but there opponents tonight looked awful. Bubba Ray was last man standing in the tables match.

Show cut to a backstage incident when Tommy Dreamer was attacked by a debuting Lance Storm. Should be interesting to see these two face off next month.

Al Snow vs Rob Van Dam

This Van Dam kid is bringing alot of hype with him to ECW. Really put on a show as him and Snow put on best match so far. RVD ended it with a split legged moonsault. I am officially a fan of RVD. The kid is amazing.

Public Enemy vs Tazmaniacs

The show seems to be getting better as the night goes on. Another ok match. Not great but not bad either.Public Enemy looked great and it'll be interesting who becomes #1 contenders for Tag Team titles after tonight. Johnny Grunge pinned Tazmaniac #2 with a DDT for the win.

Stevie Richards vs Chris Benoit

This was a very solid match. I like this Benoit kid. He is a tough son of a b*t*h. Really took it to Stevie Richards tonight. He dove 3/4 of the way across the ring hitting a diving head butt like the Dynamite Kid. Benoit has a bright future in ECW. Benoit hit the dragon suplex to get the win.

Paul Heyman is in the ring. Just announced Jimmy Snuka missed his flight to New York and will be unable to attend tonight's show. Went on to say ECW doesnt put up with no shows and the TV Title will be defended anyway. Next!

Johnny Hotbody vs Owen Hart (TV Championship)

Fans went nuts when Owen Hart was Johnny Hotbody's new opponent. He was released by the WWF this week and is in ECW. Won the TV title in his first match. Hit the Rocket for the win. I am stoked to see a Hart in ECW.

Don Muroco vs Sandman (Hardcore)

Muroco announced tonight will be his last match. Taking over as a road agent for ECW. These two are both former ECW World Champions. Put on a very bloody battle. Sandman was near victory when former WWF star Raven attacked him and allowed Muroco to get the win.

The Gilbert's © vs Bad Breed (ECW Tag Team Championship)

The last few matches had really got the crowd into the show. This really hurt that. Lousy match and the Gilbert's retained the belts. Not much to say since I went and sat on the can during this match. Dang nacho's really burn on the way out.

Terry Funk vs Abdullah The Butcher (Barbed Wire Match)

In the words of Joey Styles. "Oh My God! What a match this was. Bloody right from the get go. The two extremists left it all in the ring and deserve title pushes after this hellacious match. The Funkster hit the Funkersault to get the win.

Paul Heyman is on his way to the ring again and doesnt look happy. Announces Tito Santana is a no show as well and is therefore stripped of the world title. Along with that Santana and Snuka are both fired from ECW.

Sabu vs Shane Douglas w/ Francine (ECW World Championship)

Very good match. Sabu is a sick man. Really bloodied up Douglas but Douglas dug down deep to hit the Franchiser to become the new ECW World Champion.

ECW ULTRACLASH PREVIEW

ECW World Championship

Shane Douglas © vs Terry Funk

Hardcore Rules

Sabu vs Abdullah The Butcher

ECW TV Championship

Owen Hart © vs Chris Benoit

The Gilbert's vs Public Enemy

Bad Breed vs The Dudley's

Also in action will be Glen Jacobs, RVD, Tommy Dreamer, Tazz, and more!

ECW World Championship

Shane Douglas © vs Terry Funk

Hardcore Rules

Sabu vs Abdullah The Butcher

ECW TV Championship

Owen Hart © vs Chris Benoit

The Gilbert's vs Public Enemy

Bad Breed vs The Dudley's

• 2 weeks later...

Archived