TCW: A Quiet Retirement

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/bookbanner.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/book_open-2.jpg

Saturday 13th October 2009

I hate writing people's promos for them. The goal is to tell them what we need them to say, nothing more. If they can make people care – like Rav Umaga, the man we're calling Rhino, has found a way to do – then that bodes well for them getting the chance to sell stories with their voices. If they can't, then there's still the hope they can sell stories – and therefore tickets – with what they can do in the ring.

Sometimes it's necessary to do more, though. Ken Midden knows what he's doing on the stick; people are calling what he did back in his active days ahead of its time, now, but he's really flourished as the Board's Representative since we brought him in. He knows how to make an edict interest the crowd.

Tonight, we had to write his promo ahead of time. The Malice expansion has been in the works for a few months, but until the front office closed the deals on our transport arrangements – and the backups, just in case – we weren't sure we could make it work. And there's a lot of money – and potential ill-will – to manage in all this. The front office want those new tickets sold. They want the hype.

So do we. But we don't want to piss anyone off – and that includes the networks Showcase airs on – by making people run to their net connections to secure tickets.

So Ken's promo turns into this whole big thing... but that's just the way it is, sometimes.

Still, it's worth it. People are predicting Wolf against Tommy in greater numbers than before... but that's not too surprising. Troy's dream of tagging with Sean has allowed us to remind the fans of Tommy's dream to headline England's biggest arena a few times. A lot of pieces have been laid for Malice, not just with Tommy and Wolf, not even with the Keiths... right down to a promise made by a newcomer in a promo where he was the guy no one paid attention to.

As much as anything, what Tommy, Joel, Sam, Ricky and me have tried to put together for 2009 and into 2010 is a mission statement. TCW doesn't program like the number two promotion anymore; it's no longer built around Tommy and Ricky with everyone else hanging on the sides. The brand is about the best wrestling, the toughest competitors, the biggest giant, the most determined competitors available worldwide. Making Malice bigger than the Supreme Challenge is a big part of that.

We overtook the SWF in 2008, but it takes a while to move from what you did to overtake to set up how you want to be. Past Total Mayhem 2010, when things calm down again, we can start to find a rhythm for what we've become. I could write a lot more on that, but it's late and I've got an early flight home to Maggie.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/One-Offs/SamKeith.jpgSunday 14th October 2009

Maybe its true of any business a man chooses to step into... but there are times when I hate this business.

When I walked into the arena for a house show the other day, there was a bunch of talent gathered in a group, talking. Those kind of gatherings rarely happen for good reasons. As I walked over, I noted that no one was openly weeping... a good sign.

Went unnoticed for a moment and I caught enough to understand what was going on. They were talking about Sam Strong. Well, more like sharing stories. Since no one was bawling, the man wasn't dead.

When they spotted me there, they told me – Strong had announced that morning that he was finally retiring from the business. He would no longer have anything to do with the running of USPW. No more “one more matches”. There was genuine sadness amongst those gathered. I looked at them, all in their 20s and 30s. They had probably almost all grown up watching Strong on Supreme in the 80s and early 90s. Some had worked with him, either while he was still with Total (before it was Total) and others in USPW.

“What's your favorite memory of Strong, Sam?” someone asked.

“Hearing this news,” I replied and walked away.

Its gonna show up in the dirt sheets that I hate Sam Strong. That's been reported more times than I care to count and it ain't never been true yet.

I respect Sam Strong. I have strong respect for Strong, you could say. He is the biggest star this business has ever seen in America and ain't no one gonna hit that level again. He got fans to care like no one else. He understood the psychology required to tell a story in the ring. He knew how to sell the drama.

It gets me hot when fans will talk about Strong being a great worker. He was never that. Never! Maybe he could have been, but he never made that effort. He found a formula that worked and did that for twenty years. His time in Japan was the only time he really pushed himself as a performer. The rest of his career was sticking to that formula.

I guess you can't argue with the result but what man simply stays static for twenty years?

I never worked with Strong. Never worked in the same promotion, and that was something I worked to avoid. He left Supreme not too long before I walked through that door. The stories 'bout me hating Sam go back to then and earlier. The dirt sheets never got it right – I never hated Strong, I just hated being compared to him. For more than a decade before I walked into Supreme, I went all over the world and busted my ass every night to get better. I still go out there every night and try to put on the best match I possibly can, not the same one I did the night before.

While fans were watching repeat himself in Supreme, I was putting on fantastic matches in Canada, Mexico, and Japan. There is a reason I've been a champion everywhere I've been. Those dirt sheets followed my exploits... but never really gave me respect. Strong would work some standard match on TV and get a 9/10 or 4/5 stars because of the “drama”. I would work a fantastic match in Japan and get 8/10 or 3.5 stars because there was a botched spot, or my opponent didn't sell perfectly.

Never should have been compared, but once the dirt sheets started doing it, it never ended and I never won. I dealt with that **** my entire career, even after I got to Supreme and won that world title.

So no, the grumpy old man don't hate Sam Strong. I just hate being compared.

Wonder how he's gonna handle retirement? He always did love the spotlight, more than anyone else in this business. Did a damn fine job with United State Pro. Curious who is gonna run it now. Maybe I need to look into that... Always felt I could run a promotion as well as anyone else managed to...

Guest cmdrsam
The Take it Home Boys writeups is what I am going to miss. I have always enjoyed these sir. May not have commented on this in a very long time, but when I see there is a new post I always rushed over to see whats up. You have a done a great job with this. Not rushing to the end, just want to savor the last few bites of the steak before its all gone.

What you've done with this Phantom, all that you put into TCW for as long as you did, is what we ALL strive for. You've shown a consistent, long-term, sense of greatness and it's going to be quite sad to see all of this go. That said, I know you won't be done. You're a writer.... this is what writers do... they write. You'll jump back into the fold with another 3,000 post epic. ;)

The Take it Home Boys writeups is what I am going to miss. I have always enjoyed these sir. May not have commented on this in a very long time, but when I see there is a new post I always rushed over to see whats up. You have a done a great job with this. Not rushing to the end, just want to savor the last few bites of the steak before its all gone.

What you've done with this Phantom, all that you put into TCW for as long as you did, is what we ALL strive for. You've shown a consistent, long-term, sense of greatness and it's going to be quite sad to see all of this go. That said, I know you won't be done. You're a writer.... this is what writers do... they write. You'll jump back into the fold with another 3,000 post epic. ;)

Well, we're halfway through October, but that still leaves November, December and January... so there's time.

As to what comes next... well, there'll be a gap. But I do have notes for what I plan to do in the future.

Glad people are still enjoying it. As it stands... it's been quite the saga, but there's a few twists left on the tale, no doubt.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/totalwrestlingbanner.jpg

Speaking for all of us here at tcw.com, this looks like another major week upcoming. So let's waste no further time... here's what's on tap this Tuesday.

Global Tradition have a chance to leap up the tag team ranks if they can make what admittedly is a pretty tough win; against the Machines, they have the chance if they can handle it. The tag division's landscape has been shifting this month - and that makes for opportunity.

A six-man tag is on tap next; Sean Deeley alongside the British Lions, up against Edd Stone with the unlikely addition of the New Wave. With all six men hungry to make statements, and both sides holding gold, this could be quite the contest...

Frankie Dee takes part in the second of the School of Tradition's matches, his opponent, Rhino Umaga, has been showing himself to be no pushover lately, but Dee has a real skill when it comes to tense situations - and that might even be enough.

We saw Michelle Cox in her first solo contest last week. Now, her fellow Leading Light, Serena Starr, takes on Melody Cuthill to prove a point of her own. Which of these girls is better?

Eddie Peak has been notably absent since Extreme Measures' bid for the Three Kings failed. This Tuesday he's demanded a match, and Mayhem Midden has obliged, tapping Sayeed Ali as Peak's opponent. It's the ghetto assassin versus the Bloody-Handed God in what, to judge by their nicknames, could be the best B-movie ever made.

Davis Wayne Newton made waves Saturday, attacking Chris Rockwell during his match. To get the measure of how serious the self-styled 'Triple Threat' could be, Midden has dictated another singles match; Newton's opponent is the son of a living legend, Greg Keith.

Greg's regular tag team partner is in action in the main event, teaming with fellow Three Kings winner Johnny Bloodstone against Reed's title-holding target Wolf Hawkins and the man Bloodstone sees as costing him his own title opportunity, Matthew Keith. Whatever the result, that one's sure to be worth watching...

Prediction Key:

Global Tradition vs. Machines

Edd Stone & the New Wave vs. Huggins' Heroes w/ Laura Huggins

Frankie Dee vs. Rhino Umaga

Melody Cuthill vs. Serena Starr

Eddie Peak vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch

Davis Wayne Newton w/ Phil Vibert vs. Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell

Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins w/ Phil Vibert

Global Tradition vs. Machines

Machines are simply higher on the ladders and I don´t see a reason why that should change.

Edd Stone & the New Wave vs. Huggins' Heroes w/ Laura Huggins

Could go either way but I´m not sure if Edd and New Wave are on the same page while there is no doubt that Huggins´ Heroes will be so I give them an advantage here.

Frankie Dee vs. Rhino Umaga

Umage seems to be the one who is getting a push.

Melody Cuthill vs. Serena Starr

Again Leading Lights are simply hyped so much that they have to stay strong.

Eddie Peak vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch

Sorry Ali but I haven´t seen anything that would suggest that you could beat Peak.

Davis Wayne Newton w/ Phil Vibert vs. Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell

DWN will get his push but right now I don´t see him going over Keith.

Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins w/ Phil Vibert

Will be a close match but I go with keep the champ strong course here.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Zergon" data-cite="Zergon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="23671" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Global Tradition vs. <strong>Machines</strong><p> <em>Machines are simply higher on the ladders and I don´t see a reason why that should change.</em></p><p> </p><p> Edd Stone & the New Wave vs.<strong> Huggins' Heroes w/ Laura Huggins</strong></p><p> <em>Could go either way but I´m not sure if Edd and New Wave are on the same page while there is no doubt that Huggins´ Heroes will be so I give them an advantage here.</em></p><p> </p><p> Frankie Dee vs. <strong>Rhino Umaga</strong></p><p> <em>Umage seems to be the one who is getting a push.</em></p><p> </p><p> Melody Cuthill vs. <strong>Serena Starr</strong></p><p> <em>Again Leading Lights are simply hyped so much that they have to stay strong.</em></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Eddie Peak</strong> vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch</p><p> <em>Sorry Ali but I haven´t seen anything that would suggest that you could beat Peak.</em></p><p> </p><p> Davis Wayne Newton w/ Phil Vibert vs. <strong>Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell</strong></p><p> <em>DWN will get his push but right now I don´t see him going over Keith.</em></p><p> </p><p> Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. <strong>Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins w/ Phil Vibert</strong></p><p> <em>Will be a close match but I go with keep the champ strong course here.</em></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Going the lazy route here I'm afraid, because I agree with Zergon's pikcs and his reasons.</p>

<p>Global Tradition vs. <strong>Machines</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Edd Stone & the New Wave vs. <strong>Huggins' Heroes w/ Laura Huggins</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Frankie Dee vs. <strong>Rhino Umaga</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Melody Cuthill vs. <strong>Serena Starr</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Eddie Peak</strong> vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch</p><p> </p><p>

Davis Wayne Newton w/ Phil Vibert vs. <strong>Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. <strong>Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins w/ Phil Vibert</strong></p>

<p>Global Tradition vs. <strong>Machines</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Edd Stone & the New Wave</strong> vs. Huggins' Heroes w/ Laura Huggins</p><p> </p><p>

Frankie Dee vs. <strong>Rhino Umaga</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Melody Cuthill </strong>vs. Serena Starr</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Eddie Peak</strong> vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Davis Wayne Newton</strong> w/ Phil Vibert vs. Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell</p><p> </p><p>

Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. <strong>Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins </strong>w/ Phil Vibert</p>

<p>Global Tradition vs. <strong>Machines</strong></p><p>

<em>The Machines are just better.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Edd Stone & the New Wave vs. <strong>Huggins' Heroes</strong> w/ Laura Huggins</p><p>

<em>I have a hard time betting against the more experienced group.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Frankie Dee vs. <strong>Rhino Umaga</strong></p><p>

<em>JOBBER!</em></p><p> </p><p>

Melody Cuthill vs. <strong>Serena Starr</strong></p><p>

<em>Has a plotline.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Eddie Peak</strong> vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch</p><p>

<em>MOSTLY JOBBER!</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Davis Wayne Newton</strong> w/ Phil Vibert vs. Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell</p><p>

<em>Needs his singles push to get going now.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone</strong> w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins w/ Phil Vibert</p><p>

<em>Going out on a limb here - let's see how it goes.</em></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/TCW.jpg</span><p>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GAXzWf5ag" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/Main/Other/Playegg_28207.jpg</span></a></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>TCW Presents Total Wrestling</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Tuesday Week 3 October 2009</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Live on GNN Total Sports (Rating 15.21)</strong></p><p><strong>

Rebroadcast on Continental Sports X1 (Rating 0.12)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Held at the Gardens of North Dakota (Mid West)</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Attendance: 19,838</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>

Announcers:</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JasonAzaria_alt1.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/HoratioDangerous_FIN6a.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SaraSilver_alt1.jpg</span></p><p><strong>

Jason Azaria – Horatio Dangerous – Sara Silver</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JDMorgan.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JoelBryant.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BrentHill.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/HumanArsenal.jpg</span></p><p>

Global Tradition vs. the Machines</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

A hectic, good even contest to open the show. Global Tradition continue to coax strong reactions from the crowd despite their uninspiring recent record, and JD Morgan in particular seems to love to draw more and more innovative matwork out of the Machines. </p><p> </p><p>

The battle goes back and forth a few times – one thing all four men absolutely know how to do is tease an upset, or a finish when the finish is some way away, without hurting either side of it all.</p><p> </p><p>

In the end, however, it's the same result as ever between these two teams, with Anderson hitting the Ammo Dump on Joel Bryant to get the pin.</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Machines defeated Global Tradition</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>B+</strong></p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/totalbanner.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JungleJack_alt1.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

<em>Soldiers</em> begins to play, and Jack Marlowe strides down to the ring. He snatches the microphone away from the ring announcer, climbing between the ropes into the ring, and walks a circle around it thoughtfully before sitting down in one corner, legs folded, looking around a much smaller space all of a sudden. Denying a decent amount of the arena a clear view of him.</p><p> </p><p>

At length, he raises the microphone to his lips.</p><p> </p><p>

“Law,” he begins. “I hope you're listening. You and me, Crunch Time – on one condition.</p><p> </p><p>

“You've got something I want. I won't come out and meet you without you giving me the shot at what I want.</p><p> </p><p>

“If I win, I get control of Badge of Honor. I get to make the main events. I get to bring the pain to whoever I feel like.</p><p> </p><p>

“I'll show up Crunch Time. You won't get me in the ring before then.</p><p> </p><p>

“Your choice, Law. This is your only shot at me.”</p><p> </p><p>

He rises again and leaves.</p><p> </p><p>

“Well,” Azaria offers after a moment. “Jack Marlowe isn't like anyone else on the roster, is he?”</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/totalbanner.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MerleOCurle_jhd3.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ShooterSeanDeeley.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/WalterMorgan.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LauraCatherineHuggins.jpg</span></p><p>

Huggins' Heroes w/ Laura Huggins</p><p>

vs.</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/EddStone_alt6.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Guide.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Scout.jpg</span></p><p>

Edd Stone & the New Wave</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

The sheer oddity of Edd Stone's team here seems to have the match on an awkward footing from the off. Nonetheless, the actual wrestling is pretty good, for as long as it lasts; the problem is that there are enough people in this match with targets on their chest for there to be trouble. </p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SammyBach_alt1.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Ray Johnson eats a Guided Missile when Walter Morgan shows a surprising level of reflexes in order to dive clear. Not long afterward, Sammy Bach is in the ring, nailing Merle O'Curle as he comes in with a superkick.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/GreaseHogg.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/CanadianElemental.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ChristianFaith.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Billy Fonda isn't far behind, felling Walter Morgan with a big boot. It looks bad for Huggins' Heroes, but Canadian Elemental prevents Edd Stone from taking advantage, hitting an Elemental Suplex to lay the International Champion out, while Christian Faith runs off Billy Fonda.</p><p> </p><p>

Unfortunately for the official participants, Ray Johnson recovers while Faith, Elemental, Bach and Fonda are still present; seeing how complicated the melee has become, Johnson does the sensible thing, calling for a double-disqualification and reinforcements to end the match.</p><p> </p><p>

The camera dwells for a long moment on the palpable frustration in the body language of both members of the New Wave, as their attempt to move forward slams into a brick wall.</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Huggins' Heroes and Edd Stone & the New Wave went to a double-disqualification</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>B-</strong></p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/CharlieThatcher_nac2.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

<em>Their Law</em> hits briefly as Charlie Thatcher sprints down to the ring, steel baseball bat in hand. A big bat shot puts Billy Fonda down; Sammy Bach eats a boot. Before he can react, Christian Faith takes the next bat shot – and when the former Supreme Legend hits the mat, all action in the ring freezes.</p><p> </p><p>

Everyone's eyes are on Charlie Thatcher, and even Midden's enforcer himself seems a little awed by what he's just done, by who he's done it to.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MayhemMidden.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p>

But that does stop everyone moving... and that leads to <em>Shout At The Devil</em> booming through the arena. As the music heralds, the Board's Representative is out soon enough.</p><p> </p><p>

Mayhem Midden looks at the group in the ring, and smiles. He raises a microphone to speak.</p><p> </p><p>

“We have new tag team champions, and it looks like the entire division suddenly woke up to potential gold,” he says. “Everyone wants their shot. I gotta say, I approve.</p><p> </p><p>

“People trying to make a name, people making noise. I've got a guy works for me whose job it is to check the internet, see which teams people are talking about.</p><p> </p><p>

“You know why? Because my job is to find matches that can make TCW money. And it seems like these teams are making some fans.</p><p> </p><p>

“Same time, I need to calm this down before someone makes the kind of statement that means Crunch Time can't have a title match through injury. Especially now the Easy Riders are making a fuss, because let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time. I still remember how the Kreed started.</p><p> </p><p>

“So listen up, because this is how it is. Crunch Time will host Tag Wars. Merle, Walter, you defend against Darkwave, the Easy Riders, and the Texas Outlaws. Guide, Scout, you want back at the top, bring me some wins. And Frankie Perez, your buddy's refused to cash in his guaranteed rematch. Sorry.”</p><p> </p><p>

The New Wave glower as Thatcher and Midden retreat.</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/FrankieDee.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/RhinoUmaga.jpg</span></p><p>

Frankie Dee vs. Rhino Umaga</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

There's something awkward and uneasy about this whole match. Frankie and Rhino should, in theory, make for a fast, tough, exciting display of violence, but somehow that's not the outcome here; what we get feels like just a shadow of what it could have been, cumbersome and plodding from two wrestlers who are normally extremely crisp.</p><p> </p><p>

Frankie eventually falls to a powerslam from the second rope.</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Rhino Umaga defeated Frankie Dee</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>C</strong></p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/HoratioDangerous_FIN6a.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ZimmyBumfhole_alt1.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Before the next instalment of the interview with Zimmy airs, Horatio Dangerous reminds the crowd watching that the previous section had touched on Zimmy's arrival in TCW.</p><p> </p><p>

“Let's change tack a little, Zimmy,” Horatio says. “Let's talk about your future. Obviously, you've been labeled a tag team wrestler in the past – and considering some of the matches you've taken part in just since arriving in TCW, what, less than six months ago, you understand the tag game.</p><p> </p><p>

“But unless your alliance with Sammy Bach is going somewhere, I have to assume you're planning, ultimately, to get into singles competition. You haven't made a clear push to enter the tag division, after all.</p><p> </p><p>

“You've won singles gold elsewhere. Is that what you're after, here?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Well, you don't come to TCW just to draw a paycheck,” Zimmy smirks. “Yeah, I'd like to get a belt round my waist. Maybe I'll tag up with Sammy – the man <em>understands</em> me, and believe me, you need that if you're ever going to function as a team on anything like championship level.”</p><p> </p><p>

“He seems to function well alongside a lot of other wrestlers.”</p><p> </p><p>

Zimmy shrugs. “What can I tell you, Dangerous? I thought we were talking about me.”</p><p> </p><p>

“We are... but his name keeps on coming up.”</p><p> </p><p>

The Darkwave man grins. He seems to see the justice of this. “Yeah. Anyway... I'm not sure about tag gold. But I'm watching my spot, picking my time.</p><p> </p><p>

“I kind of want a run with the International. I mean, I'm as good as Edd, easy.”</p><p> </p><p>

Horatio diffidently remains silent; with his mouth open; there's no way he can comment on that without insulting one or another wrestler, and it's less than a year since Chris Rockwell took him apart for criticising him.</p><p> </p><p>

“What, you don't agree?”</p><p> </p><p>

“I'd love to see the match,” Dangerous smiles. “But I notice you're not mentioning Wolf Hawkins and the ultimate prize.”</p><p> </p><p>

Zimmy grins. “You know what, I was raised in the country, and I know a mad dog when I see one. Hawkins has his sights on Cornell – and anyone who gets in the way is going to get as near destroyed as makes no difference.</p><p> </p><p>

“Sooner or later Cornell is going to give him the match. Doesn't matter much to me when, it's going to happen.</p><p> </p><p>

“<em>Then</em> is the time to go after that belt... and sooner or later, I aim to.”</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Melody-1.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JessicaBunny_Self3.jpg</span></p><p>

Melody Cuthill vs. Serena Starr</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Fast and furious, this one has as its key problem the fact that neither competitor has much of a following – yet.</p><p> </p><p>

Certainly the contest is its own argument that they deserve one. Melody is certainly the better wrestler – in terms of breadth of arsenal, of strategy, and of pluck, thus far the self-styled Leading Lights have yet to be the 'better wrestlers' in that way at any point.</p><p> </p><p>

On the other hand, what Michelle and Serena have in common is a willingness to do whatever it takes, cut any corner, take any shortcut, grab a handful of any tights, thumb any eye... well, the general idea must be coming across by now.</p><p> </p><p>

And that gives Serena a clear advantage here, finishing her opponent with a twisting DDT Azaria dubs the Nova.</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Serena Starr defeated Melody Cuthill</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>C-</strong></p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AutumnGleeson.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Autumn Gleeson is standing by in the interview area, smiling welcome at the camera.</p><p> </p><p>

“I feel privileged today, ladies and gentlemen,” she begins, “because my guest today doesn't often take time out to speak to the fans – or just about anyone in TCW, outside of his own stable and contract negotiations.</p><p> </p><p>

“That sounds unusual, but it's just his way. Usually, Johnny Bloodstone does all his talking in the ring, without a microphone but with his wrists taped and his opponent at his mercy.</p><p> </p><p>

“Today, though, Johnny and girlfriend Amy – the Blonde Bombshell – have agreed to say their piece on a subject that has Johnny very focused right now.</p><p> </p><p>

“Johnny, you issued a challenge earlier this month to Matthew Keith, to meet you on PPV as soon as space can be found on the schedule. With Crunch Time filling up fast and Matthew yet to respond, it looks like your one-on-one match may be postponed somewhat – but tonight, you'll be teaming with Art Reed against Matthew and Wolf.</p><p> </p><p>

“Hopefully that'll go some way toward settling the score. But for now – would you like to go into why your sights are set on Matthew Keith specifically?”</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JohnnyBloodstone_alt2.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BlondeBombshell.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Bloodstone takes a deep breath, looking away from the camera for a moment. His thoughts collected, he turns back. “There's a whole lot of things going on with Matt at the moment,” he begins. </p><p> </p><p>

“I came to TCW alongside Amy and one of the first things I did was hook up with Art – one of the guys I trained with, back at the House of Stone. One thing led to another and Art persuaded us to give Sam Keith a chance. Sam brought his boys along with him...</p><p> </p><p>

“And, man, Greg has been nothing but respectful and dedicated and hardworking, no matter what. Matt...</p><p> </p><p>

“There's something inside of Matt that's eating him up, and I'm not just talking about the Asian Mist stuff he's polluting himself with. It's getting to where he can't accept a loss, or a setback, and that left me getting knocked out of the match this month to get another shot at the World Heavyweight Championship.</p><p> </p><p>

“It would've done the same thing to Art if Troy hadn't done the right thing. I've had issues with Troy, but he's a stand-up guy. So's Art.</p><p> </p><p>

“Matt, on the other hand, he's getting petty, he's getting to be trouble.</p><p> </p><p>

“Now, when me, Art, Rob, Greg, Owen and Benny were training, we got to be trouble a time or two. It happens; you have talent, you get an ego. Every time, though, every time it happened, Jeremy Stone looked right down at the problem, set his head, and beat some sense of proportion back into us.</p><p> </p><p>

“Matt wants blood from his family, and that's getting into crazy time. Art Reed has a title shot. Greg is Matt's twin brother. Sam is Matt's dad – but he's also my mentor.</p><p> </p><p>

“So the way I see it, Matt needs a lesson in controlling his temper. And...”</p><p> </p><p>

He glances across to the Blonde Bombshell, and as their eyes meet the two smile automatically. She puts her hand on his shoulder. “...these days, keeping your temper as a tool, not an override switch, is something I know all about.</p><p> </p><p>

“I'll put myself in the way, sure. And Matt will learn what he needs to, before he does something he can never take back.”</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Peakesis.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SayeedAli.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/CarlBatch.jpg</span></p><p>

<span style="font-size:10px;">Awful image used as placeholder until I get a better one sorted</span></p><p>

Eddie Peak vs. Sayeed Ali w/ Carl Batch</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

Striding with confidence down to the ring, the attention rapidly falls on Eddie Peak's hairstyle. It's... different, to say the least. Different... but incredibly recognisable. Gone is the floppy, slightly naïve haircut that's always looked a little incongruous to the Bloody-Handed God.</p><p> </p><p>

Instead... well, the look he now sports is almost familiar – except that the man who made it famous was a light heavyweight, far from the size of Eddie Peak.</p><p> </p><p>

He was, however, Peak's mentor in the dying days of DaVE.</p><p> </p><p>

Peak hammers Ali from the off. He's always been dangerous, but this is... different. There's a focus to it. His blows aren't hitting all over the place, but are targeted, systematic. Sayeed is good – very good – but he's simply outclassed by this new attitude Eddie's sporting, capped off when Eddie Peak sinks Ali with the Nemesis Arrow.</p><p> </p><p>

“I don't even know what to say about that.”</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Eddie Peak defeated Sayeed Ali</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>B-</strong></p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/DavisWayneNewton-1.jpg</span> vs. <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/GregGauge-1.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BlondeBombshell.jpg</span></p><p>

Davis Wayne Newton vs. Greg Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

“Two very young talents, here,” Azaria begins. “I think this one could be down to the first man to make a mistake, because when a rookie makes a mistake, it tends to leave him wide open.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Greg Keith's been training long enough he doesn't count as a rookie,” Dangerous responds. “But I'm not sure I'd count Newton that way, either. He's made good on that whole 'Triple Threat' thing, and it looks like he can live up to his promises.”</p><p> </p><p>

Meanwhile, the duo lock up. There's a brief struggle for control, and it looks like Greg has a little more between his training and his height, getting the leverage to start driving backward, but Davis has an answer to that; breaking the lock, he falls backward, feet hooked to bring Greg down with a drop toe hold.</p><p> </p><p>

Quick as anything, the Triple Threat floats across, looking for a chancery, but Greg's no slouch himself; twisting clear, he grabs Davis' arm, shifting into a standing hammerlock near the corner.</p><p> </p><p>

Newton looks to counter out, but Greg has the advantage here, blocking both the straight reversal and the ankle-grab takedown. Davis instead reaches back behind his head and looks to snapmare out of it, but Greg holds onto the lock, rolling through. Nearer the centre of the ring, however, Newton is left with more room to manoeuvre; jumping forward, he aims a kick into his target's gut.</p><p> </p><p>

That breaks the hold and the two roll apart, looking one another up and down. Greg smiles slowly; Davis, a moment later, returns the grin, closing in again – but rather than a lockup, this time he fires off a punch to Greg's jaw, then another; then grabs him properly and hits a suplex.</p><p> </p><p>

Moving quickly, he goes to the top turnbuckle, coming off with a moonsault. Keith scrambles out of the way; as, on his knees, Davis rears upward from the impact, Greg leaves the ground as he does only rarely, dropkicking Davis backward. </p><p> </p><p>

A follow up elbow drop sees Davis shift momentum and kick Greg in the back of the head as he delivers it; the two roll apart again, and Newton goes for a running kick, only for Greg to block it – hooks the leg – fast cradle! ONE, TWO, T- NO!</p><p> </p><p>

Davis meets Greg with a dropkick of his own before whipping him to the ropes, flapjacking him to the mat off the rebound. He goes for the STF, but Greg rolls through – Proton Lock attempt – Davis kicks Greg off before he can get it locked in – lariat from Greg! He pulls Davis up – German suplex – Davis lands on his feet – chop block!</p><p> </p><p>

Davis grabs Greg's leg and aims a series of kicks into his thigh before hooking it under his arm and slamming it into the mat in a DDT-style manoeuvre. He then rolls over into a single-leg crab, obviously working to set up for his STF – but Greg manages to twist out, kicking Davis off him and into the turnbuckles. He meets Newton on the return with a huge backdrop.</p><p> </p><p>

Climbing up onto the second rope, Greg comes off with a soaring splash, rolling up and immediately shaking out his leg.</p><p> </p><p>

That gives Davis enough time to jump him from behind with a schoolboy cradle – ONE, TWO, TH- NO!</p><p> </p><p>

Greg hits the ropes and comes off with an attempt at a running double-hand chop, but Davis drops to one knee, delivering a punch to the gut to cut off the charge. Popping up behind, he grabs a double-chickenwing and launches backward into a big suplex. He bridges – ONE, TWO, THRE- </p><p> </p><p>

At the very last moment, Greg gets a shoulder up. He staggers around for a moment, but the first punch from Davis snaps him out of it; he blocks the next, then hits a jawbreaker and sets for the Neutron Plex, but the Triple Threat headbutts free, then hits the ropes, coming off fast with a flying shoulderblock.</p><p> </p><p>

He scrambles for the cover – ONE, TWO, TH- Greg kicks out again. Frustated, Davis stays kneeling and pummels Greg with punches to the head, dragging him up again afterward. He sets for the DDT; Greg blocks and hits a high-speed neckbreaker! Cover! ONE, TWO, TH-</p><p> </p><p>

Davis drags him over into a cover of his own – ONE, TWO, T- countered – ONE, TWO, THR- countered! Davis steps clear! Superkick! ONE, TWO, THRE- Greg once again gets the shoulder up.</p><p> </p><p>

Davis heads for the ropes again, coming off fast – hip toss counter by Greg – spear by Greg! ONE, TWO, THR- </p><p> </p><p>

Newton and Greg both part, circling the ring, shaking off the impacts they've recently endured, before Greg picks up the pace a little and closes in. Davis blocks the lock-up, spins Greg around – one-armed backbreaker! Greg straightens up, staggering slightly – release German suplex from the Triple Threat!</p><p> </p><p>

He ascends the top turnbuckle, once again soaring loose with a moonsault, this time impacting well. He covers – ONE, TWO, THRE- </p><p> </p><p>

Again, against all the odds, Greg manages to get his shoulder up. Davis isn't smiling any more. He drags the living legend's son to his feet and hitches up, hitting his Fisherman's Suplex, keeping it bridged – ONE, TWO, THREE!</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Davis Wayne Newton defeated Greg Keith</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>A*</strong></p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ArtReed.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JohnnyBloodstone_alt2.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BlondeBombshell.jpg</span></p><p>

Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone w/ Blonde Bombshell</p><p>

vs.</p><p>

<span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MatthewKeith.jpg</span><span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/WolfHawkins.jpg</span> w/ <span>http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/PhilVibert.jpg</span></p><p>

Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins w/ Phil Vibert</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

The same kind of communication issues that earlier gave Dee and Umaga troubles dog the team of Reed and Bloodstone during all this. There's a fast back-and-forth between all sides, but it has to be said that this kind of miscommunication clearly isn't helping the match.</p><p> </p><p>

While this is a good contest, it's not going to live up to the standards of the previous match, and the fast exchanges just don't quite reach that level. Still, the two rivalries in the match do help with it, and certainly the Reed/Hawkins and Bloodstone/Keith sequences get the crowd fired up and ready for the upcoming PPV encounters – but it just doesn't quite work as well.</p><p> </p><p>

Still, the one thing the fans can't complain about is the length, as the match runs and runs, with the time limit coming due seconds before the show is due to go off the air. Azaria signs off with a promise that the coming shows look to hit boiling point.</p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Art Reed & Johnny Bloodstone fought to a time limit draw with Matthew Keith & Wolf Hawkins</span></p><p>

Rating: <strong>A</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>Show Rating: A</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p>

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/tcwbadge2.jpg

TCW Presents Badge of Honor

Friday Week 3 October 2009

Live on GNN Total Sports (Rating 1.33)

Held at the Shakeshaft Auditorium (Great Lakes)

Attendance: 4,152

Announcers:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SteveSmith_alt1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SaraSilver_alt1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AutumnGleeson.jpg

Steve Smith – Sara Silver – Autumn Gleeson

• Acid Dragon gave up a good fight, but ultimately lost to the Kreed when Art Reed made Acid tap to the Dread lock in a hot opening match. (Rating: B+)
  • Freddy Huggins called out Hidekazu to discuss his challenge. He taunted him for a few moments before Hidekazu was jumped by JD Morgan and Jaime Quine, who beat him down until Thunder Snake ran in, followed shortly by Koshiro Ino.
  • Aaron Andrews defeated Joel Bryant in another very close, exciting confrontation. Andrews was, notably, playing to the crowd more than had been the case in prior matches. (Rating: A)
  • Andrews then took the microphone and called out Joey Minnesota. When Minnesota didn't appear, Aaron shrugged and simply asked, again, if Joey Minnesota really felt Wolf Hawkins was the best choice Generation Omega had for champion.
  • The Texas Outlaws (Christian Faith and Texas Pete, this time) handily defeated Elimination Protocol in another good outing by the rookies. (Rating: B-)
  • JeriLynn Stone defended the Womens Championship against Lauren Easter, getting the pin after a close contest with the Girl's Best Friend. (Rating: B)
  • The New Wave put up a strong fight against the Bulldozer and the Dragon, but ultimately Scout made the mistake of trying to apply the Special Force before Brandon was worn down, and got planted with a Backdrop Driver. (Rating: B)
  • The next moments saw Guide lose his temper, entering the ring and hitting a Guided Missile on Brandon, then another on Mikey James. He continued to attack them and, as Scout recovered, he joined in on the assault; Jack Marlowe ran down to intervene, and a little while later, the Three Amigos arrived to drive a wedge between the two warring parties.
  • In the main event, Edd Stone defended his International Championship against Marc Speed in a long, entertaining defence, with Edd retaining by disqualification when Gorgon pulled Speed out of the ring and planted him with the Hydra Bomb. (Rating: B)

Show Rating: B+

As I periodically do, I encourage ll you readers to stop by the Diary of the Month polls and place your votes. There's some great diaries on the list, as always (although if it were on there, my vote would have gone to James Casey for his recent PPV).

Cheque's in the post.

Okay, you might have a hard time cashing it anywhere nowadays, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Oh, I get that. I just didn't understand why... he had to do that.

May be best not to worry about it. Eidenhoek is a bit of a rule unto himself - just go with the flow.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/TCW2-1.jpg

After an explosive response to a narrow defeat last night, the New Wave have demanded another match tonight; Mayhem Midden has consented, setting them against the Conquering Kings. He said only "They have my attention now. Let's see if they can hold it."

The Elite Express have also been agitating for a chance to show their stuff, and they too receive it, going up against a debuting tag team. Calling themselves International Air, the team consists of Mr Lucha III - a man whose forebear wrestled the match that put Sam Keith on the map - and 'Mile High' Adam Matravers, who hails from the same background as the British Lions, with additional seasoning from his time in Japan.

Champagne Lover and El Leon clash in another exhibition match of Mexican style. Lover has put out a call to Rhino Umaga, telling him to pay special attention to this match. Leon has his own statement to make: "If Antonio thinks I'm just a piece of paper to send a message with, he's going to find himself very surprised."

Womens competition follows next, as Amber Allen looks to move up the rankings. She says that Gorgon has shown her weakness, but that a win over any former champion still makes a powerful statement - and that she hopes to be champion herself before too long.

Aaron Andrews and Tommy Cornell have another match teamed up ahead of them, with their opposition being the Fly Boys. Speculation here at tcw.com as to the reasons behind this is pretty rife; the leading suspicion is that the two want to hone their team dynamic before they face off with Generation Omega.

Davis Wayne Newton scored something of a shock win over Greg Keith on Tuesday. He's apparently got his sights set on something bigger; he's demanded Jeremy Stone who, it should be remembered, has a match against Marc DuBois scheduled for Crunch Time.

That leaves us with the main event; in the second of Troy Tornado's title warm-up trio of triple-threats, he takes on Marc DuBois and master of the Asian Mist, Matthew Keith. Tornado's pledged to make his case for the World Heavyweight Championship watertight by going through all of Generation Omega; can he really manage it?

Prediction Key:

Conquering Kings w/ Alanis Springsteen vs. New Wave

Elite Express vs. International Air (Adam Matravers & Mr. Lucha III)

Champagne Lover vs. El Leon

Amber Allen vs. Gorgon

Fly Boys w/ Floyd Goldworthy vs. Aaron Andrews & Tommy Cornell

Davis Wayne Newton w/ Phil Vibert vs. Jeremy Stone

Marc DuBois w/ Phil Vibert vs. Matthew Keith vs. Troy Tornado

Wave seems to have troubles again but I don´t see them losing to Kings right now.

New team takes the loss here.

Lover is doing more.

Amber Allen vs. Gorgon

Gordon is still the monster heel in women division and Amber doesn´t have anything going so no need to put her over.

Cornell would win this one even without partner.

DWN got a nice win over Greg Keith so he is getting a push but I think that Jeremy is still too much for him.

Tornado pretty much needs to get the wins over Hawkins team mates so he picks another victory.

Amber Allen vs. Gorgon

Archived