TCW: A Quiet Retirement

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/tcwbadge2.jpg

TCW Presents Badge of Honor

Friday Week 2 May 2009

Live on GNN Total Sports (Rating 1.27)

Held at the Lowe Ballroom (North West)

Attendance: 4,484

Announcers:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JasonAzaria_alt1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SaraSilver_alt1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AutumnGleeson.jpg

Jason Azaria – Sara Silver – Autumn Gleeson

• In a fantastic opening bout, the Machines defeated Global Tradition, helped in part by Thunder Snake and Hidekazu running in against Global Tradition. Anderson got the pin on JD Morgan. (Rating: B+)
  • Carl Batch put in an appearance, backed by the Easy Riders and Sayeed Ali. He congratulated the Machines on their win but said it was the last the Riders would allow – they broke the New Wave, and now they'd break the Machines.
  • The British Lions narrowly defeated Team VIPER, Merle O'Curle forcing Ota to tap to the Celtic Wreath. Acid interfered to prevent Shingen Miyazaki from breaking the hold. (Rating: B)
  • Raku Makuda & Stephanie Wade teams up to devastate the pairing of Amber Allen and Suzanne Brazzle. Wade scored the pin, superkicking Allen after bloodying her. (Rating: C)
  • Team KOBRA came down to discipline Brazzle and VIPER for their losses. Thunder Snake and Hidekazu were then also ushered forward to receive bokken shots, presumably for their actions in the night's first match.
  • Texas Pete defeated Jack Marlowe neatly in non-title action. (Rating: B-)
  • Troy Tornado received a strong challenge from Tyson Baine, but he was able to win through with the Star Maker in the end. (Rating: B+)
  • Sammy Bach hit the ring to attack Tornado, accompanied by a masked man and an unidentified redhead. The Young Guns came in to make the save, but Tyson Baine, having recovered, took them out before Hades Bombing Tornado.
  • GenOme faced a tough challenge but were able to fight Rick Law and Rocky Golden to a draw when all four men were counted out. (Rating: B)

Show Rating: B+

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/TCW2-1.jpg

Tommy Cornell has promised to kick off this Saturday Night Showcase with an announcement that no TCW fan will want to miss. But on top of that, we've got an astonishing night of matches lined up - so let's see what's on tap, giving you a list passed on by Cornell and Mayhem Midden...

Texas Pete returns to the ring to wrestle this Saturday, facing off with Eric Tyler. Tyler's School had lain somewhat quiet for a few months; with a new member and a resurgence in activity, it seems now that that was merely the prelude to something new. Could Tyler seek to kick that off with this non-title bout?

The New Wave have been given another match with which to hopefully turn around their recent form. Their opponents? The Elite Express. It's a four-man combination that has yet to produce anything but an exciting match; can that record continue this week?

Singles competition brings Merle O'Curle a little out of his element. His opponent, moreover, is undefeated in TCW; the third Machine, Marc Speed, goes one on one with another true master of the submission form. Will the Lion or the Machine win through?

Six-man action is scheduled to follow; Chris Rockwell, Rick Law and Rocky Golden take their friendship out to the ring for a real test, as they oppose Champagne Lover and the Easy Riders. With Rockwell's search for certainty and Golden's current relationship issues, their opponents have a real shot at scoring a win that could put them on the map - but will they succeed?

O'Curle's tag partner is also scheduled to be in action; Sam Keith and Walter Morgan will lock horns together this Saturday. Morgan's become a true breakout star in TCW's south-western heartland - can he stake a claim to make that stardom permanent with a win over one of wrestling's most decorated veterans?

Two more young turks clash in the aftermath. Sean Deeley has made it clear that he has issues with some Stones; Edd Stone has been told that to receive another shot at Aaron Andrews' International Championship, he'll have to rack up some significant wins. It seems a natural match to make...

And then we come to the main event. On the one hand, the Rising Stars. On the other, Sammy Bach and Jack Bruce. Bach and Bruce seem positioned for greatness, if they can score the wins to get moving. On the other hand, Harry Allen has lately become a thorn in their side - but Allen was laid out last night by Tyson Baine, after Bach and some unidentified allies attacked him. Will this match go down without interference, and if so, who will win through?

Prediction Key:

Eric Tyler w/ Laura Huggins vs. Texas Pete (non-title)

Elite Express vs. New Wave

Marc Speed vs. Merle O'Curle w/ Laura Huggins

Champagne Lover & the Easy Riders w/ Carl Batch vs. Chris Rockwell, Rick Law & Rocky Golden

Sam Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. Walter Morgan

Edd Stone vs. Sean Deeley w/ Laura Huggins

Rising Stars vs. Jack Bruce & Sammy Bach

Champagne Lover & the Easy Riders w/ Carl Batch vs. Chris Rockwell, Rick Law & Rocky Golden

Pete needs the credibility. He doesn't need a program with Tyler.

There comes a time when one must say, "hey! Hold up! They can't lose to THEM, can they?" I fervently hope this is that time.

Gives Speed a kick in the overness department without having to say he can beat anyone he may face in the future.

This unlikely stable has legs. Marquez and the Riders are just some dudes fighting together.

It concerns me that I'm booking both of the Lions to lose within 30 minutes of each other... wouldn't be shocked if there was a run-in or something with this one. Then again, maybe the Riders will kick off their feud with the Machines by attacking Speed? It's all too hard to say, so I'm going to go with what'll happen if these matches DO go off clean... 0-2 Lions.

The ultra-methodical Deeley has no hope of understanding the ways of Edd Fu.

They're more together these days.

Tyler being the leader of School of Tradition needs to look strong if the group wants to have some impact.

New Wave continue their losing streak until something happens.

Merle is tag guy so I give this one to Speed.

More star power on faces side so I pick them to win here.

Keith is still too much for Morgan

I could see this one going either way but Deeley seems to be feuding with Jeremy so he likely needs the win more.

Dq win for Rising Stars after Bruce & Bach new allies make their presence felt.

KOBRA-ference.

No end to the streak yet.

The Riders run in.

I have a hard time betting against these guys.

Just because Sam Keith will put over anyone, doesn't mean he should.

WOOOOOOOO EDD STONE!

Debut new stable! FTW!

If I think of your match summaries as commentary, your commentary seemed to be much higher than some of the matches.

Mostly, the matches have better wrestling factors than heat factors, so I dial up how good the action sounds. Just because some of the grapplers aren't over yet doesn't mean they aren't doing good work.

CAN'T UNTHINK JERILYNN'S NIPPLES *eyebleach*

Seconds later, Kate Dangerous is in seconds later

You don't say :p

If I think of your match summaries as commentary, your commentary seemed to be much higher than some of the matches. Glad to see an A*; angry at the A rating (because I can never get those ._.)

~~~

accompanied by a masked man and an unidentified redhead.

First one is Angry Gilmore as Elemental IV. Second is...shoot, don't have the game with me. Keep thinking Kristin Pearce for some reason, but that makes no sense...Wait, it could be a guy (but why would you do that?)

HA!

ELEMENTAL IV AND MAGNUM KOBE!

~~~

Prediction Key:

*grumble* fine, whatever. Can't remember the new member...meh, w/e, he'll interfere no doubt.

Camo = You can't see me = John Cena = Overcometheodds.

Because of this diary, I though Merle and Morgan were an actual tag team in the default database. I'm a bit of a Speed mark. Oh god, now you guys think I'm on speed.

I refuse to give that Rocky render a win :-P. I hate teh Easy Riders, though. Hm. Wade's going to do something to interfere. Hope it's sexay.

Ordinarily I'd give it to the Arabian pirate, Captain Altair Morgan, but Keith's got bewbz on his side. BEWBZ I SAY!

tbh I like both guys, even though it's Shooter "Stan" Deeley in my head still. So it's a tie.

JACK BRUCE SUCKS HE'LL NEVER WIN GLABARFLE

I don't mean to ruin your Beeker-esque logic - that is a good thing - but I think the masked man is Black Eagle and the redhead is Cherry Bomb, if the Career Reinvention diary update is to be believed.

Prediction Key:

Edd Stone vs. Sean Deeley w/ Laura Huggins Screwy Finish of Some Flavor

I should likely be insulted by (no longer in) Michigan Hero's mention of me, but I'm flattered. I pride myself on my nonsensical selections. Although I don't think I've ever used 'bewbz' as logic.

- Pete needs to look strong and be dangerous. Dispatching the old champ would do well to help that image.

- EE are right there as being serious contenders, toppling the New Wave (and furthering their troubles) is a win-win situation in my bookering mind.

- I'm still not sold on Machine Nouveau but, I think he goes over.

- My logic? Eidenhoek went the other way. Plus the Odd Triplets have a certain chemistry going that I dig. They make more sense than CL and the Bikers.

- Tempted to give the Over in This Area Morgan the duke but, Keith is too far above Morgan in single's relevance (and overness) to lose.

- It's Edd. Chances are he does his own commentary during the match.

- Jobby Bruce does his job.

Eric Tyler w/ Laura Huggins vs. Texas Pete (non-title) Non-title? Yeah.

Elite Express vs. New Wave Because the Wave are struggling right now

Marc Speed vs. Merle O'Curle w/ Laura Huggins Machine #3 (just how good is this guy to be worthy of that title?) for the win

Champagne Lover & the Easy Riders w/ Carl Batch vs. Chris Rockwell, Rick Law & Rocky Golden The Riders Rule

Sam Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. Walter Morgan Legend wins

Edd Stone vs. Sean Deeley w/ Laura Huggins A distracted Edd could be a major feather in Sean's cap

Rising Stars vs. Jack Bruce & Sammy Bach Ideal chance for Bruce to get his groove back as the RS are trying hard not to be on the same page right not

Tyler's has his one last run with a belt, don't see what purpose it would serve to have him pick up the win here...think it's more important to keep Pete looking strong.

New Wave's slumps continue, in reference to Oregano Jensen's predictions....the Elite Express have established themselves as a solid, credible mid level tag team in TCW...they are hardly Tooth & Claw :p

For me Speed needs the win more, as he needs more establishing as the third Machine....O'Curle's success is in tags as part of the British Lions.

Slightly more star power on the Rockwell, Law, Golden team.

The British Lions have risen up the ranks well, but that is as a team...they are going to be put over a legend like Keith in singles action anytime soon.

Deeley has made enemies of both Jeremy Stone and Eric Tyler...so more and likely there will be inteference to help Edd Stone to victory....not that Edd needs it because he's so friggin awesome anyway.

Looks like you are doing a slow burn towards the Rising Stars feuding with each other and I think you want to establish the Jack Bruce/Sammy Bach alliance as something of a notable threat.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/TCW2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/Main/Other/Playegg_28207.jpg

TCW Presents Saturday Night Showcase

Saturday Week 2 May 2009

Live on CBA (Rating 13.78)

Held at the Kettley Arena (Mid South)

Attendance: 19,554

Announcers:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/DuaneFry_alt1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JasmineSaunders.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Seduction.jpg

Duane Fry – Jasmine Saunders – Alanis Springsteen

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/TommyCornell_alt1jt.jpg

Tommy Cornell stands tall in the centre of the ring as the show begins, microphone in hand, and he smiles at the audience – not the characteristic Cornell smirk; the man actually smiles.

“Hope all of you are feeling as good as I am right now,” he begins. “See... back on Tuesday I had myself a little argument with Eric Tyler. I know, I know, unprofessional of me, but truth be told...” He lowers his voice but still speaks directly into the microphone. “I really can be an unprofessional wanker when I feel like it.”

The crowd actually pops for that. Cornell's smile gets wider.

“Thing is, I said something to Eric, and what I said happens to be true. I know – I was as shocked as everyone else.

“I do run things around here. I had to scale that back last year because Midden was getting in my face about it, but wouldn't you know it...”

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MayhemMidden.jpg

Shout at the Devil begins to play and Midden strides down to the ring, all smiles.

“Wouldn't you know it,” Cornell continues, “but if we agree, there's no problem. And this is something we agree on wholeheartedly – isn't it, Ken?”

“He's right,” Midden beams.

“OK,” Cornell smiles. “So here's the thing; Generation Omega, listen up, because this just concerns you.

“I don't like you. I can't fire you – your manager is a very slick operator, and your contracts are watertight. TCW is not getting rid of you any time soon; it takes mutual agreement for your contracts to be terminated.”

“On the other hand,” Midden says, smirking, “it takes mutual agreement for your contracts to be terminated.”

“Right. You're here, now. Wrestling anywhere else allows us to invoke the penalty clauses. And we can't fire you, but we don't have to agree to let you go either – and I run this place, and I don't have to put you in matches, either.”

“Strictly speaking,” Midden intervenes, “the Board of Investors can put you into matches. Tommy can do that because, well, he's one of the company's investors. But I handle the rest of the Board's interests. And I'm not interested in you pulling this crap.” Cornell nods, and he takes over the speech again.

“Now, I spoke to some of the folks you have issues with. GenOme will still receive a TCW Tag Team Championship shot at Where Angels Fear To Tread – that's by request of the current champions. Remo – I'm not dumb, so I'm letting Eddie Peak have what he wants and what he wants is to get his hands on you at the same time.

“DuBois, Ricky's not interested.

“And that brings me to the real beef here. Wolf... mate...

“You're right. It cost me so much to ask Ricky to help me out with you. And you're right; you made me hurt that much.

“But I've woken up now, kid.” Cornell's smile becomes that old familiar smirk, but the crowd respond to it positively. “You want to beat me? You want to come out from under my shadow? I think the single best thing I can do to hurt you back is to never let you have that match, or any match.

“So no, kid, the way things stand I've got no reason to give you that match. Besides... I plan on getting back into the World Heavyweight Championship scene. Maybe I'll have myself a Contendership match at the PPV, see if I can get right back on the horse. After all, if it hadn't been for you, I could've been slated to challenge as of last month.” He frowns. “Generation Omega, this is TCW. Grow the hell up and get off the highway, because I don't even need to run you over – I can lock you out.”

“One last thing,” Midden says. “Phil – I know you're already going to be on the phone to your ally on the Board. Rest assured, son, I'm going to find your loophole and shut it down nice and fast.”

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/totalbanner.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/EricTyler.jpg w/ http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LauraCatherineHuggins.jpg vs. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/TexasHangman.jpg

Eric Tyler w/ Laura Huggins vs. Texas Pete

The thing about these two is that when they get in the ring to face off with each other, you can see a flow and a give and take that you might not expect when you compare their styles, ages, and strategies.

Tyler is immediately obvious as one of Pete's most dangerous challengers, purely because he really, really knows the kind of wrestling which is Pete's weak spot, and because he knows a cornucopia of viable counters to Pete's speedy, strong assault.

That cornucopia may not be enough, however; as Pete realises that more and more of his big shots aren't working, he switches tack, cornering Eric and then unloading – rights, lefts, knees, lariats, headbutts, boots, rights and lefts again...

Tyler is bleeding by ten shots into this assault, staggered and dazed by twenty. At thirty Pete backs off and charges, going for a splash -

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/FreddyHuggins.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/FrankieDee.jpg

Freddy Huggins meets him with the Huggins Kiss en route. Frankie Dee is only a heartbeat later, going for a uranage – though Pete powers past that and plants him with the Lone Star Drop, even as Eugene Williams calls for the DQ.

Texas Pete won by DQ

Rating: B

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BobbyThomas_jhd.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/NateJohnson_jhd1.jpg vs. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Guide.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Scout.jpg

Two of the world's best tag teams collide, and as both sides have strong fan followings, the arena comes to its feet.

Guide starts up against Bobby Thomas, and the early exchanges set a very fast pace, with Guide slightly the more explosive of the two, while Thomas follows a game plan more in line with Scout's – he keeps the match grounded, focused on Guide's left leg, working on it. Slowing him down. Aiming, quite clearly, to take the Guided Missile out of his armoury, to make the Wave of Mutilation a dangerous thing to risk.

But the New Wave are fired up, motivated, and the first tag brings Scout into the equation, forcing Thomas to shift game plan significantly, try to pick up the pace while Scout promptly utilises much the same strategy Bobby had been planning on – with significantly more effect.

Little by little, the Wave pull this back to a fair, balanced, equal fight, and as they do so, it becomes the Express' turn to look worried about the way the match is going. Little by little, despite Bobby and Nate's best efforts, the long-term TCW favourites turn things around. Scout manages to reduce Bobby's left leg to a useless dragalong appendage. They drag him into the centre of the ring; Guided Missile.

Nate comes in to help, but Scout cuts him off. Guide joins his partner; double DDT puts Johnson down. And they cross to opposite corners of the ring, climbing the turnbuckles. Azaria gets excited, looking for the Wave of Mutilation; the crowd are on their feet and roaring, happy as the New Wave get set for their first victory in some while -

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AmericanBuffalo.jpg

American Buffalo shoves Scout off the turnbuckle from the outside. As he crashes to the floor, Buffalo slips in the ropes and charges, catching Guide as he jumps with the Stampede. He leans back, roaring in satisfaction, and bails from the ring, leaving Nate Johnson to crawl across and make the pin.

Elite Express defeated New Wave

Rating: B+

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AmericanBuffalo.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Guide.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/Scout.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/FloydGoldworthy.jpg

Buffalo rolls Scout back into the ring and goes in after him. Floyd Goldworthy, seeming somewhere between delighted, paranoid, and simply relieved, follows him out. Notably, while he makes hand gestures as if he's exhorting Buffalo on, he only does so when it looks like the big man might look in his direction, and the microphone doesn't pick any sound up.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MaratKhoklov.jpg

And then Psalm 69 abruptly starts to play. The announce team panic. So does Goldworthy. Buffalo ignores it – but Marat Khoklov stalks down to the ring with a purpose.

Buffalo stacks both of the Wave in one corner as the Russian clambers over the top rope and into the ring. Without ever looking around, he whips first Guide, then Scout across the ring, and both are met with a Moscow Lariat as they fly, leaving them down and out.

The two giants then leave the ring, stalking up the entrance ramp, a suddenly-paranoid Goldworthy trailing in his client's wake.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AutumnGleeson.jpg

Near the entrance, Autumn Gleeson steps in front of Goldworthy.

“Floyd - any comment on what your client and Marat Khoklov have just done?”

Goldworthy stares at her for a long moment, mouth open, then moans softly and leaves. Autumn shakes her head slowly. “Well, that was as inconclusive as I feared,” she says. “Since Floyd has no spine I guess it's back to you, guys.”

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MarcSpeed_FIN4.jpg vs. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MerleOCurle_alt.jpg w/ http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LauraCatherineHuggins.jpg

For two extremely skilled technicians, there's something that just doesn't sit right about this match. What it is is hard to pin down, but for whatever reason, these two can't quite connect on the level the fans seemed to be hoping for.

What they can still do is entertain every fan in the arena not fixated purely on the name value of the competitors involved, and they can do it for quite some time. Indeed, this match runs and runs, with O'Curle and Speed struggling manfully to overcome the issues they've had and put on a true classic right up to the point where Ray Johnson has to call time, twenty minutes elapsed.

Marc Speed drew with Merle O'Curle

Rating: C+

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ChampagneLover.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/GreaseHogg.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LeadBelly.jpg w/ http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/CarlBatch.jpg

Champagne Lover & Easy Riders w/ Carl Batch

vs.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LobsterWarrior_PS.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/RickLaw.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/RockyGolden_PS2.jpg

Chris Rockwell, Rick Law & Rocky Golden

Four extremely hard hitters. Two fast wrestlers who exemplify the best of their own chosen styles. The result is a frantic, fast-paced contest with a lot of nasty shots and some stunning moments – Lover not only outwrestles Golden a couple of times as the pair collide, taunting him all the time about Wade's proposed match, claiming he'll make sure he loses “your match and your girl... and take them both for myself.”

This turns out to be a mistake when Rockwell tags himself in and, infuriated, promptly takes Lover's head off on his friend's behalf. The Riders promptly intervene, creating a situation that rapidly escalates until all six men are in the ring. Law delivers boots for everyone on the opposition before rallying his friends and setting up a six-man suplex.

Law and Golden promptly bundle Lover and Fonda out of the ring, leaving Rockwell to deliver the MMA-styled knee strikes to put Hopper on the edge of knocked out and make the pinfall.

Chris Rockwell, Rick Law & Rocky Golden defeated Champagne Lover & Easy Riders

Rating: B+

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BlondeBombshell.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SamKeith.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JohnnyBloodstone_alt2.jpg

Backstage to the Blonde Bombshell's locker room we go, and Sam Keith and Johnny Bloodstone have a match paused on the big screen; the battle royale from this month, toward the end. The two men are talking through Jeremy Stone's style at that moment, with Keith using frame-by-frame advance to really get to the nitty gritty of the move – a Stone's Throw.

“..thing I've noticed is he always flexes his left foot twice just before he goes for it,” Sam says. “Now, that doesn't help you directly, but Amy, it's something for you to watch for, you can signal Johnny.”

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/GregGauge-1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/MatthewKeith.jpg

“Huh?” The Bombshell turns from a quiet discussion she's obviously been having with the Keith twins. “Oh... sorry. What were you saying?”

“We'll cover that in a moment,” Johnny says. “I think I've got Jezza's big stuff scouted, if you'll help. You OK, babe? You're normally as talkative as Sam when we do these..”

“Oh... yeah.” She nods. “Sorry, it's just...”

“GenOme are still getting their title shot,” Matthew Keith says heavily. “And I didn't get asked – and I'm gonna be cleared to compete by next week, let alone Where Angels Fear To Tread.”

“Hey,” his brother retorts, obviously stung. “Cornell said it was signed off on. I didn't-”

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ArtReed.jpg

“I did,” Art Reed says softly. The group turn to look at him; the camera steals a close-up on Matthew's face, however, and it's furious. Reed, meanwhile, looks apologetic.

“If I'd known you were cleared to come back, Matt, I'd have told Midden to ask you,” he says. “I guess I should've, after you guys helped me out Tuesday – you got hella airtime on that jump-”

“Oh, is that what this is about?” Matthew snaps. “****ing hell, Artie, I said I was sorry!”

“It's not about anythi-” Reed breaks off, then sighs, throwing up his hands. “Matt, I'm sorry. I thought I was still gonna be Greg's partner this month, and I knew if we ****canned 'em they'd claim we were scared. I figured I'd skip the accusation and get straight to proving them wrong, you know?”

Matt half-growls. His father lays a hand on his shoulder. “Easy,” he says. “I know either one of you can beat them... And he did have a reason.”

“Yeah, maybe. He's been risking my title too damn often, though. I won that, Dad, with my own brother, and that's gonna turn into just a footnote in the history books compared to Art's time! You know the fans even started coming up with things to call 'em?”

“They did?” Greg asks, suddenly perking up. “What?”

“Doesn't matter,” Matthew returns. “I've got a name for you as it is... over.”

“Matt... bro... you know I want to hold these belts with you just like we fought for, but Art's kept 'em safe. We can't just kick him loose...”

“Hey,” Reed says, holding up his hands. “I don't want to cause no trouble, guys. Matt wants back in, he-”

“No,” Bloodstone says quietly. “Greg's right. Matt, how about you and Art go head-to-head Tuesday? Winner keeps the belt. Give you a chance to prove you deserve it, man.”

Matthew Keith glowers at Bloodstone. “Fine,” he snaps. The World Heavyweight Champion nods. “Good,” he says. “And whoever wins, I'm buying the celebration drinks for you both. One of you won it, one of you's held it. You're both champions, understand me?”

They both nod.

“And so are you,” the Bombshell says, breaking the tension. “OK. Sam, take me through what I've got to look out for again?”

Keith nods, but before he can go further, Gimme Shelter hits. “They're playing my song,” he says. “I'll talk you through it in a few – or Johnny can; you pay more attention to him anyway.” He grins to show he doesn't mean it, and he and the Bombshell rise to head for the ring.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SamKeith.jpg w/ http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/BlondeBombshell.jpg vs. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/WalterMorgan.jpg w/ http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LauraCatherineHuggins.jpg

Sam Keith w/ Blonde Bombshell vs. Walter Morgan w/ Laura Huggins

Walter Morgan's star has risen astonishingly fast across the country, but particularly in TCW – and CZCW's – back yard. Still, Sam Keith has been a legendary figure since before Morgan even began training to be a professional wrestler.

And despite that, scarily, Morgan may actually boast slicker, nastier-looking submission holds. On the other hand, Keith has the all-round game...

Back and forth the argument can go, really. Keith and Morgan do their best to make people realise that as Walter pushes the veteran very bard before Sam finds a way through, eventually locking down the Proton Lock to mark off a submission victory.

Sam Keith defeated Walter Morgan

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/EddStone_alt6.jpg vs. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ShooterSeanDeeley.jpg w/ http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/LauraCatherineHuggins.jpg

Pure Canadian glory. Edd and Sean put on a remarkable show, splitting down the line between Edd's crazy antics – at one point, he escapes an armbar using the Worm – and Deeley's no-nonsense style, shutting Edd down wherever possible.

The younger Stone is also heard, at one point, to cry out plaintively “Pleeeeeeease powerbomb me?” though Deeley refuses to switch his game plan just to do so.

Sean seems to have the edge, overall, with Edd doing a lot of fighting from beneath and – as ever – acting like the crowd love him, which they seem to more and more. However, that's not all of it; Edd tries for a handspring windmill kick, missing Sean but nailing Sam Sparrow clean in the face.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JeremyStone.jpg

Seconds later, Jeremy Stone is in the ring, grabbing Sean for the Stone's Throw – and giving Fry the chance to confirm, on commentary, that the tell Sam Keith pinpointed actually exists! By the time Sparrow recovers, Edd is coming off the top rope for a shooting star legdrop, and the pinfall is simple after that.

Edd Stone defeated Sean Deeley

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JackBruce_alt8.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SammyBach_alt1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/CherryBomb_alt2.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/ZimmyBumfhole_alt1.jpg

The big screen crackles into life, and a song and video begin to play – though it becomes clear, early on, that the group involved features Jack Bruce on vocals and drums, Sammy Bach on guitar, the redhead from Badge of Honor on synths and vocals and – just possibly – the second drummer is recognisable. Fry certainly thinks so, but as he says, “If it is him, he's changed his hair, and before I say anything I need to check with the lawyers.”

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3bdKLgi_M?fs=1&hl=en_GB&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3bdKLgi_M?fs=1&hl=en_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/AaronAndrews-1.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JoeyMinnesota_alt.jpg vs. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/JackBruce_alt8.jpghttp://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/SammyBach_alt1.jpg

After a hectic night full of twists and turns, TCW turn once again to two major tag teams to close the night off. And, once again, two tag teams deliver.

The Stars get the fight taken to them from the off, and their rescues lack a certain... well, existence, frankly, as Aaron and Joey leave one another to kick out or not as they will. But they do, glaring at one another between each, and for all that they don't seem willing to communicate, they're both clearly still trying to win – but can you win when you can't function as a team?

That's a tough one to answer. The Stars are, after all, both fantastic wrestlers. Bruce and Bach, meanwhile, have recently suffered some embarrassing losses. The Stars come pretty close on a couple of occasions, but their opponents are gelling perfectly, and are able to break pinfalls for one another, come together on double-teams, and support each other crisply.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/PhilVibert.jpg

And then, on top of that, Phil Vibert appears at ringside with his notepad.

Moments later, both of the Stars come to a dead halt in the ring, staring at Vibert open-mouthed. Bach promptly hits his springboard bulldog on Minnesota from behind, going for the pin – and Andrews pulls him off and tosses him out of the ring. Bruce, in response, charges Andrews – but he's caught around the ankle by Minnesota, and Andrews turns around, headbutts him, and whips him to the ropes.

Minnesota meets him on the rebound with a leaping kick – one Saunders notes looks a hell of a lot like the Full Moon Rising.

As Bach rolls back into the ring, the Rising Stars look at each other and nod. Minnesota hits him with a baseball slide to the face, then pops up, dragging his opponent with him, and whips him toward Andrews, who catches him onto his shoulders, turning to look at Vibert for a long moment – and then hits the Game Breaker, pinning swiftly and decisively.

Andrews and Minnesota head toward each other, looking Vibert in the eye as they raise one another's hand in victory, making a clear statement.

Rising Stars defeated Jack Bruce & Sammy Bach

Rating: A

Show Rating: A

I just want to ask. How did I not see this before? You have Duane Fry! How did that happen?

Fry debuted with a quick vignette on the first Total Wrestling of February 2009, coming in to head up new show Saturday Night Showcase:

A familiar voice begins to speak as a video plays, showing footage of the Easy Riders... of Sammy Bach... of Eric Tyler, and Frankie Perez, and Kate Dangerous... and most especially, of Johnny Bloodstone. The voice is familiar, but it's so out of place it takes a little while to recognise.

“This Saturday, TCW makes its CBA debut with Saturday Night Showcase. Every week your favourite stars are going to gather with a new venue to show what they can do, just as they do on Tuesday nights.

“You do not want to miss the season premiere; every single title will be on the line, every single match will be for a title, and I can absolutely promise you something...”

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/DuaneFry_alt1.jpg

The video cuts away to reveal the young man speaking. Duane Fry smiles that welcoming smile. “This is going to be a barnstormer.”

He was brought in to provide a distinctive 'voice of TCW' for the CBA broadcasts of Saturday Night Showcase as part of a general reshuffle of voice talent that also saw Sara Silver and Autumn Gleeson added to the team, the addition of manager Alanis Springsteen to the announce desk, and the release of Kyle Rhodes, because I thought that seemed a fairly believable and likely way to a) differentiate the shows somewhat and b) beef my colour work up by phasing Rhodes out fully. By that point, he was easily the weakest on the stick of everyone except Doakes, and the hope is that Doakes will be approximating Azaria's ability level by the time Jason retires.

And let's just take this opportunity to say Merry Christmas to all my readers and to say I hope to see you all still in this diary one year hence.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/bookbanner.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/trenchcoatbrigand/TCW/book_open-2.jpg

Tuesday 9th May 2009

“Learn to hate this time of the year,” Joel Bryant told me back in May 2008, and naturally enough I asked him why.

May tends to be when we launch TCW: Total Control, our usual videogame offering. And, Joel explained, as a result May is when the young kids get very, very distracted and spend less time at the gym.

There's some talk of whether it's worth our while leaving it eighteen months rather than a year this time and going head-to-head with the SWF's winter offering, essentially trying our luck in direct competition now we have a stronger footing in the market than they do. I'm not too worried; all I have to do is pick a couple segments around release date and ask appropriate faces to mention the game in them. Hell, I'm already done with it, really, but there's still a bit of caution around it.

Our youth movement seem to be pretty happy to knuckle down and train this year – but then, half of them are getting a push, and some of them aren't actually in the game.

We managed to get Gen Omega in, but Davis and Marc are, honestly, rush jobs – not much in the way of voice work. In Marc's case, in particular, that's a travesty – and part of why Wolf has been carrying most of the promo work for the pair of them lately, to reflect the game a little for people who're playing it.

That, honestly, is about as far as we go these days, and honestly I pretty much refuse to have anything to do with it – I hand things like 'rate our wrestlers the way kayfabe says they are' over to Sam, who's had years to get used to it with the SWF. It doesn't interest me a lot, and I like to leave some room for the undercard to impress me and rapidly get 'kayfabe stronger' if need be.

Still, in a big enough company, it's a factor – Kate spent an evening on the phone with her old tag partner (back in USPW) Alicia Strong a few months ago; it seems Sam Strong is ready to move into the computer game licence thing soon, and both of them were more than a little excited about this.

Thursday 11th May 2009

I'm sitting in a room full of fans of something Jack tells me is called 'EBM', with a lot of musical instruments, five cameras, four wrestlers, and a director. I feel more than a little out of place.

I'm here, officially, to 'oversee'. Oversee what? Oversee the shooting of a music video. Because I, of course, have any idea how to do that.

Time constraints are keeping this a lot simpler than most music videos, they tell me; just a concert-gig kind of thing. But it's designed to show something, and Jack is ridiculously excited. He's talking about 'reinventing himself after that ridiculous thing I used when we did Painful Procedure' and 'redefining heel and face as different subgenres, old and new' and 'electronic black metal' and you know, I hate being the out-of-touch old fuddy duddy but I don't know what the hell he's talking about and I don't want to know.

So long as we still have something resembling heel and face, this is still a feud that can be saved. I hope. I think we now have enough talent on Jack's side to cover the in-ring work while he rediscovers his old TCW working shoes...

My biggest problem right now is figuring out how/if we can rebrand Zimmy – and how I can look Tito in the eye if I do.

As to the video? I'm letting the expert director do his stuff and letting the 'band' - only Jack was directly connected to putting this together - have fun. I don't figure there's anything else worth doing that I can do.

And that's as far as I can go until I get back to my desktop and the savegame on it, which may be some time, depending on when the rail services in the UK man up and cope with snow.

If people have questions not requiring access to the savegame in the meantime I'll be happy to field them.

The UK will never man up when it comes to snow at this rate, its like it happens a few times a year and we shut down completely, other countries have it for months at a time and they can cope with it.

Although it gives us more reason to be stereotypical and complain about the weather I guess, but yeah UK weather sucks :p

Question that doesn't require the game in front of you, is there any chance we can get a montage of Edd's best clips at some stage...maybe after he wins the International Title and holds a 24 Hour Party Animal victory celebration maybe? :p :p

Question that doesn't require the game in front of you, is there any chance we can get a montage of Edd's best clips at some stage...maybe after he wins the International Title and holds a 24 Hour Party Animal victory celebration maybe? :p :p

It's a possibility. Edd is trickier than finding Duane's opener was, as he's present from the off so a simple Ctrl + F is awkward. But we'll see.

Archived