WWF 1997: Attitude Put on Hold

[img]http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3313/wwf19978dl.jpg[/img] [size=5]The Backstory:[/size] January of 1997 was a weird month indeed. Atleast for the world of pro-wrestling. The WWF seemed to go in a completely different direction with there shows. WCW was changing and ECW was gaining momentum. But what does this have to do with me? Well the WWF part has EVERYTHING to do with me. Now I know you get the same old story all the time... but yea I was hired by the WWF. The difference was I had been working for awhile as a television writer with a few different TV Stations. Yes I know that when a true TV writer is hired by a wrestling promotion its usually the kiss of death. However there is a difference in this case. I was actually EXTREMELY interested in wrestling. Honestly the only reason I was doing stuff for TV stations was because I wanted to be a writer in wrestling. But I never thought i'd cut it in wrestling and I just got a job writing cheesy comedies and stuck with it. But now it was my big chance. So I decided to do what i'd always wanted to do. Screw what they wanted. Vince McMahon gave me and the other writers total creative freedom and I laid down the law the first day I walked into the office for the first meeting between the writers. The writers/booking commitee consisted of Myself, Vince Russo, Ed Ferrara, Terry Taylor, and Michael Hayes. I respected all of there opinions but I told them right there that I was the head booker from now on and we were going to change things for the better. So it all started the very first week of January...

[img]http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3313/wwf19978dl.jpg[/img] [size=5]January 2005, Week 1:[/size] [b]Monday:[/b] [b]Before the Show:[/b] [color=red]I think its safe to say that Monday before RAW was to start did not go over well at all. First off I had to listen to order as Vince McMahon made it clear to me that he wanted Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels as the main event at WrestleMania and he wanted Bret to go over. Vince said it was out of loyalty to Bret that Shawn payback the favour of Bret jobbing cleanly at WrestleMania the year earlier. I was fine with this as I was a big Bret Hart fan anyways. Plus I knew I could find some way to make this a big surprise win by Bret which would only help what I wanted to do with the WWF. So I called Bret into the office and went over the plans I had for it. Bret was fine with the plans and thought it would make for some good wrestling and a nice quick 2 month storyline. So Bret left happy as a clam. I then called in Shawn Michaels and told him the plans aswell. However, unlike Bret, Shawn wasn't happy at all. Shawn vented his frstration by telling me I was an idiot and that he refused to job to Bret at WrestleMania especially for the title. At that moment I looked Shawn right in the face and told him "Alright, you're going to be in the Royal Rumble this year." Shawn walked out of the room in anger at that moment when he realized I meant he wouldn't be facing Sid for the World Title at The Rumble as was originaly planned. At that point I had a major problem on my hands. Vince wanted Bret with the title as repayment for last year, he also wanted Shawn to job to Bret, along with this he wanted a major match for WrestleMania and wanted the out come to be a huge shock. So at that moment I made a decision that had the potential to change the WWF in the coming months. So with that the show was booked and RAW began![/color] [img]http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/8391/wwfraw5xd.jpg[/img] [b]Dark Matches:[/b] [b]Sexton Hardcastle and Christian Cage defeated The Hardy Boys in 5:57:[/b] [color=red]In a fairly good match to open the show for the in house crowd. We saw Canadian tag team Sexton Hardcastle and Christian Cage face off against WWF youngsters and former OMEGA Wrestlers and bookers Matt and Jeff Hardy. The atch saw back and forth basic action going on eventually with Matt Hardy getting a big heat on Sexton and Christian. However it was soon that Christian caught Matt while he went for a DDT on Secton. Christian quickly rolled Matt up in a school boy and as doing so hooked the tights for the 1...2...3![/color] [b]Rating: C[/b] [b]Charlie Haas defeated Aldo Montoya in 4:48:[/b] [color=red]Good match between new coming youngster Charlie Haas and Aldo ontaya here. The two went at it back and forth for the first inute of the atch but then Charlie haas took a nice long advantage which eventually lead to an Exploder Suplex and the pinfall.[/color] [b]Rating: B-[/b] [b]Full Show:[/b] [b]The New Blackjacks defeated The Smoking Gunns in 5:32:[/b] [color=red]The show opened with the two cowboy teams going up against each other in a fairly short Tag Team match. The New Blackjakcs of Barry Windham and Justin Bradshaw showed alot of power in this one as they managed to toss the fairly heavy Bart Gunn and Billy Gunn across the ring with hip tosses almost easily. This match was really brought up by the fact that all 4 workers had a can a style that was almost the same. The Smoking Gunns to a long advantage over Justin Bradshaw which lasted for a good while as Bradshaw tried tagging ut to Windham but each time Billy and Bart would just cut him off at the last second. Eventually however Bradshaw cxaught Billy and Bart with a double backdrop as they tried pulling him away from his corner. Bradshaw then made the quick tag Bart got up first and was soon met with a Lariat by Bradshaw which sent both men going flipping over the top. Billy then got up only to be met with a sick Blackjack's Lariat from Windham for the pinfall.[/color] [b]Rating: A[/b] [b]2 major matches made as a double main event for the night:[/b] [color=red]Vince McMahon came out almost directly after The Smoking Gunns and The New Blackjacks left the ring. Vince got on the microphone and began to speak to the crowd. [b]Vince McMahon:[/b] I'd like to make the announcement that with Royal Rumble just alittle under 4 weeks away. We will have tonight a 4-way atch up between Owen Hart, The Undertaker, and The British Bulldog to determine who has the #30 spot and who has the #1 will be whoever gets pinned. However as i'm sure many of you noticed. I said it would be a 4-way match yet I only mentioned 3 participants. That is because we will also have a one on one bout between Bret "Hitman" Hart and Shawn Michaels TONIGHT to determine who will face Sycho Sid for the WWF World Title at The Royal Rumble. The loser of that match will be the 4th paticipant in tonights 4-way! Vince McMahon handed the mic back to the ring attendant then left to the back as the show cut to a commercial break.[/color] [b]Rating: A[/b] [b]Faarooq defeated Jesse James in 7:51:[/b] [color=red]When the show came back from commercial we were treated to a surprisingly above average match between Nation of Domination Leader, Faarooq and Jesse James. The match saw Faarooq take a good advantage over Jesse James from about the 2 minute point until the 5 minute point of the match. However eventually Faarooq went for the Dominator but James kicked down till he was on his feet behind Faarooq. Once Faarooq turned around he got blasted by a stingingly sick punch from James. James then hit Faarooq with a clothesline, followed up by a back elbow, which was then followed up by a decent but definatelly not great dropkick. James then set Faarooq up for a piledriver. However before James could even attempt the lift D'Lo Brown, Kama Mustafa, Wolfie D, and JC Ice ran down to the ring to make the save. James lets go of Farooq and tosses D'lo, Wolfie D and JC Ice over the top rope. At this point the ref and James are distracted giving Kama time to get in the ring and turn James around lifting him up and dropping him down quick with a sick Shoulder Breaker. Kama quickly leaves the ring at that point as the ref turns back around to see both Faarooq and Jesse James down and out. Faarooq gets to his feet first as James is now on his hands and knees. Faarooq quickly grabs James from that position and swings him right up then back down to his face with a Dominator for the 1...2...3![/color] [b]Rating: B+[/b] [b]Faarooq and Ahmed Johnson are seen argueing with each other:[/b] [color=red]We quickly cut backstage as Faarooq gets to the back visibly angry with the rest of the Nation. Faarooq bumps into other Nation member Ahmed Johnson. At that point Faarooq explodes with anger. [b]Faarooq:[/b] WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?! You could have been out there helping me instead of sending our rookies into the line of fire. Thank god they were smart enough to come up with a strategy and have Kama go in last! YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE AHMED! [b]Ahmed Johnson:[/b] Why should I have? You're supposed to be the leader! You should be setting an example by going out there and winning fairly and dominantly! Not by having us help you! Faarooq gets a look of pure hatred on his face. He then gets ready to punch Ahmed but the rest of the Nation stops Faarooq as we cut to a hype video for Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels.[/color] [b]Rating: B+[/b] [b]A video plays hyping Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels:[/b] [color=red]The video package started with highlights and the ending of Bret vs Shawn Iron Man last year at WreslteMania. It then went onto show the rest of the year for the two including Shawn's battles and loss of the title to Sycho Sid. It then said on the screen "Next Up: Two former champs fight for the chance to regain there gold!" the show then cuts to commercial before Bret vs Michaels begins.[/color] [b]Rating: A+[/b] [b]Bret Hart defeated Shawn Michaels in 26:41:[/b] [color=red]This was easily the best match of the show and the crowd showed appreciation for it. The crowd was also surprised to see a match go over 25 minutes on RAW. Bret and Shawn fought a fast paced, very intense, back and forth match for the entire thing. With a few rest holds tossed in just to let them get a breather for literally 5 seconds if they were lucky. These guys went all out with Shawn even pulling off a moonsault from the top TO THE OUTSIDE to the shock and amazement of the crowd. However the biggest thing that happened I think was Bret pulling off a Suicide Dive which saw him and Shawn go backwards through the announcers table at ringside. Eventually Bret and Shawn got back in the ring and began going at each other with everything they had and reversed literally everything the other guy was doing. Eventually Shawn went for the Sweet Chin Music but Bret caught Shawn's foot and tripped him out right in a Sharpshooter. Shawn fought the pain for a good 30 seconds screaming and pounding the mat before he finally made it to the ropes and rolled out of the ring. Bret argued with the ref about it as Shawn grabbed a chair. When Bret turned around Shawn was in the ring and Shawn took little time to crack the chair over Bret's head. ret went down and the bell was called for giving Bret the victory by Disqualification.[/color] [b]Rating: A+[/b] [b]Vince McMahon confirms that it will now be Bret Hart vs Sycho Sid for the WWF World Title at The Royal Rumble:[/b] [color=red]Bret Hart slowly got to his feet as Shawn stood at ringside with a mic. Shawn then began to speak. [b]Shawn Michaels:[/b] Ladies and Gentlemen your winner of the match BRET "THE HITMAN" HART! But because many consider number one contendership a title in itself I Shawn Michaels am STILL number one contender and will be going to The Royal Rumble to face Sycho Sid for the WWF World Championship! At this point Vince McMahon came out from behind Shawn and took the microphone from him. Vince then began to speak. [b]Vince McMahon:[/b] Actually, Shawn, number one contendership is not a title. It's not even jokingly like a title. It is a step towards the title and since you lost this match you're going to have to go through the step all over again, because Bret Hart is the NEW number one contender and we will see Bret Hart vs Sycho Sid for the WWF World Title at The Royal Rumble and Shawn you will be competing in The Royal Rumble match itself. This also means Shawn you will be competing again up next in the match for the #30 spot in The Royal Rumble! Vince McMahon then leaves to the back and Shawn and Bret get on there way to the back aswell as we fade out to the final commercial break of the night.[/color] [b]Rating: A+[/b] [b]Owen Hart is interviewed backstage by Kevin Kelly, he hypes an upcoming match against Shawn Michaels, The British Bulldog and The Undertaker:[/b] [color=red]We returned from commercial with Kevin Kelly backstage standing alongside Owen Hart infront of the RAW interview set. Kevin began to speak asking Owen a question. [b]Kevin Kelly:[/b] Owen you asked for this time before your match. So what would you like too say? [b]Owen Hart:[/b] Listen Kevin. I asked for this time to make it clear that I am Owen Hart. I a the BEST wrestler in the WWF, I was the BEST wrestler in Stapede Wrestling, and I was even the BEST wrestler in Japan when they claied I was ****! You think this Royal Rumble #30 spot will effect me? I could be #1 if I get pinned in this match and still walk out Royal Rumble winner. Then I will go onto WrestleMania and claim what is rightfully mine. The WWF World Championship! So now I'll go out there in this 4-way and I will beat down all 3 of those other men if I must just too make my job at The Royal Rumble alittle easier. Also I apologize Davey, but i'm going to have to beat the hell out of you too because you, Shawn Michaels, and The Undertaker are just 3 small steps I must walk over on my way to the WWF World Title! Owen then walks away from the interview set towards the entrance way for the match.[/color] [b]Rating: B[/b] [b]The Undertaker defeated Owen Hart, Shawn Michaels and The British Bulldog in 41:43 when The Undertaker pinned Owen Hart:[/b] [color=red]Another awesome match and the crowd was obviously surprised by the match going over 40 minutes! I think the biggest problem however was that only Owen and Bulldog were able to go strong for the entire time. Shawn Michaels went at it as best he could but you gotta remember he just wrestled a 26 minute match. Also the Undertaker for his size and too his credit went extremely strong and fast for atleast half the match but visibily began slowing down nearing the end. Owen and Bulldog really showed there technical skill nearing the end of the match after knocking both Michaels and Taker to the outside together. Owen and Bulldog pulled off some nice chain wrestling for atleast 5 minutes at the 30-35 minute mark. The two then just went crazy on each other hitting everything they possibly could. Eventually Owen caught Bulldog with an Enziguri as the crowd were on there feet. Owen went for the cover but only pulled off a 2-count. Then to the shock of the crowd in attendance Owen went for the big moonsault he was known for in Japan. However Bulldog rolled out of the way and Owen landed hard. Bulldog eventually got up to his feet but before he could capatalize on Owen, Shawn Michaels pulled Bulldog from the ring. Shawn then quickly began to brawl with Bulldog. Eventually Shawn hit a Sweet Chin Music on the outside and Bulldog went down. Shawn went to the top and noticed Bulldog getting up on the outside so for the second time tonight Shawn went flying off the top down to the floor with a beautiful moonsault. Shawn hit Bulldog and went down. Shawn and Bulldog were now out of it on the floor as Owen slowly got to his feet. Only to turn around and see that the Undertaker was now in the ring. Owen went for a kick but Taker caught his leg. Owen hit Taker with the Enziguri and Taker began to stumble. Owen got up and hit the ropes then ran back at Taker. However Taker regained his composure on time to catch owen and Tilt-A-Whirl him right into a Tombstone Piledriver for the 1...2...3![/color] [b]Rating: A+[/b] [b]Overall Show Rating: A[/b] [b]Rating on TSN in Canada: 1,056,044[/b] [b]Rating on USA Network in the US: 2,006,930[/b] [b]TUESDAY:[/b] [b]HOUSE SHOW:[/b] [color=red]We held a house show the day after RAW. Shawn was still kind of angry about what went on the night before but I booked him in a match in which he went over Intercontinental Champion Hunter Hearts Helmsley in a non-title match. Shawn was happy and Hunter didn't care because they are friends. Sycho Sid defended his WWF World Title against Rocky Maivia in the Semi-Main Event. I really wanted Sid to seem like a major threat to the in house crowd. So he squashed Rocky in about 2 minutes. The Main Event was Bret Hart vs The British Bulldog. The two went to a 30 minute tie limit draw which I was extremely happy with. Afterwards Owen Hart ran down to help Bulldog with a beatdown on Bret. However shortly after The Undertaker ran out to make the save and the crowd cheered as Taker and Bret stood in the ring as Owen and Bulldog left to the backstage area ending the show.[/color] [b]Income: 61,720[/b] [b]WEDNESDAY:[/b] [b]Before the House show:[/b] [color=red]We had another house show on Wednesday but before the show I was very busy sending requests to workers outside the WWF for meetings about signing a contract with the WWF. I don't want to drop any names but lets just say if all goes according to plan don't be surprised if some Japanese and ECW wrestlers show up in the next few months. [b]HOUSE SHOW:[/b] [color=red]The house show had a pretty much identical card as the night before with the exception of the Semi-Main Event and Main Event. The Semi-Mainevent this tie was Bret Hart vs Sycho Sid for the WWF world Title. But since I didn't want to give the in house crowd a cheap viewing of the Royal Rumble title match,. So I barely let it start. As Bret and Sid locked up both Owen and Bulldog hit the ring and began beating down on Bret Hart giving Bret the DQ victory. The Undertaker again ran out to make the save and that lead to The Undertaker and Bret Hart vs Owen Hart and The British Bulldog for the ain Event. The tag match went about 40 minutes before Bret bumped into the ref as Bret was pushed by Owen. Sycho Sid then hit the ring as Owen and Bulldog went after Taker. Owen and Bulldog took Taker out with some quick moves and Bulldog hitting Taker with the Running Powerslam. As this went on Sid powerbombed Bret. Sid then left and Owen locked Bret in the Sharpshooter. The ref eventually regained composure and saw Bret knocked out from the Powerbomb and being in the Sharpshooter for over a minute. The ref called for the bell giving Owen and Bulldog the win by Submission Kockout. The show ended with Bulldog and Owen celebrating as they were booed by the entire crowd.[/color] [b]Income: 63,740[/b] [b]THURSDAY:[/b] [b]HOUSE SHOW/Livewire Taping:[/b] [color=red]This show was close too the same as the Tuesday House Show except Sycho Sid squashed Flash Funk in the Semi-Main Event instead of squashing Rocky Maivia. We also taped Ahmed Johnson vs Nick Dinsmore, an angle with the Nation of Domination, and The Fake Diesel and The Fake Razor Ramon vs The Hardy Boys for Livewire.[/color] [b]Income: 60,540[/b] [b]FRIDAY:[/b] [b]HOUSE SHOW:[/b] [color=red]This show was literaly exactly the same was the Wednesday House Show. I can honestly say nothing at all was changed except what the guys did in the ring. All of the finishes and matches and set ups to those atches were the same because I wanted to see if it would get over in another town aswell as it did on Wednesday.[/color] [b]Income: 60,620[/b] [b]RAW Ratings on Sky Sports in England: 474,149[/b] [b]SATURDAY:[/b] [img]http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/7487/livewire9yt.jpg[/img] [b]Michael Hayes and Sunny interview and fan Q&A|Guests: Owen Hart and The British Bulldog(Live):[/b] [color=red]This segment was live as it was one of the interviews with the Q&A. It was revealed that onday's Main Event on the upcoming RAW would be Owen Hart and The British Bulldog vs Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker for the WWF Tag Team Titles. So because of that this segment was used to mostly build that up and to build up The Royal Rumble.[/color] [b]Rating: A[/b] [b]Ahmed Johnson defeated Nick Dinsmore in 0:50(Taped at Thursdays House Show):[/b] [color=red]This was the epitome of a squash match. Dinsmore got a punch or two in but was quickly and ultimately shut down by Ahmed Johnson who hit Dinsmore with the Pearl River Plunge for the 1...2...3![/color] [b]Rating: B[/b] [b]Faarooq and Ahmed Johnson arguement(Taped at Thursdays House Show):[/b] [color=red]Farooq and Ahmed argued backstage again when Ahmed said he should lead the Nationa because he just beat Nick Dinsmore in 50 seconds without the help of the other Nation members. This almost started a brawl but the other members of the Nation held the two apart.[/color] B+ [b]Michael Hayes and Sunny inerview and fan Q&A|Guests: Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker(Live):[/b] [color=red]This was pretty much exactly the same and used for the same purpose as the Owen/Bulldog interview and Q&A that opened the show. The only difference was the guests were Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker and they were answering questions as faces instead of like heels.[/color] [b]Rating: A[/b] [b]The Fake Diesel and The Fake Razor Ramon defeated The Hardy Boys in 7:24(Taped at Thursdays House Show):[/b] [color=red]This match wasn't anything special but for what it was it was above average. The highlight of the match were Matt and Jeff diving to the outside with Matt doing a huge crossbody onto The Fake Razor to the floor and Jeff doing a huge Flipping Senton to the outside onto The Fake Diesel. The end ca e when Matt was on the top going for the moonsault on The Fake Diesel but The Fake Razor who had made a blind tag ran in and crotched Matt on the top rope. The Fake Diesel got up and kicked Jeff in the face sending him falling off the apron to the floor as The Fake Razor threw Matt Hardy across the ring and to the canvas with a Razor's Edge for the 1...2...3![/color] [b]Rating: C+[/b] [b]Final Rating: C-[/b] [b]WWF Live Wire Rating on USA Network: 372, 960[/b] [b]SUNDAY:[/b] [color=red]During Sunday I et with some of the workers that I asked for meetings with. Thankfuly most of the ones that I really wanted to work out, did work out. However there were a few that fell through and sadly one of the guys I really wanted decided to sign with WCW instead. Other than that Sunday was a nice and relazing day that worked out well...[/color] [size=5]...And so ends Week One of January 1997[/size]

Archived