Ufc 101

GatorBait19

His last loss was to Yushin Okami by illegal kick back in 2006, his last real loss was in 2004. Right now I don't see anyone that can beat him at 185

Marquardt: Isn't as improved as everyone says from his last loss against Silva

Maia: Great BJJ but of course Silva is a black belt as well and WAY better stand up

Henderson: If patient it seems he could control the fight (like Florian did the first 3 rounds last night) but it seems he would make another mistake either standing or on the ground to lose again

Wanderlei: I think if Wanderlei can push the fight and land earlier blows and dirty box against the cage keeping out of Silva's clinch he could do well but his stand up hasn't been the same as of late

Okami: Keeps winning but against no one and not in impressive fashion so i dont see it happening

At 205 I can see there be a higher chance of him losing by going against Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, even Jardine, and of course Machida.

Basically no one on paper will have the advantage over him for his remaining contract (if he gets old and keeps fighting of course his chance of losing increases) if he loses it will most likely be because of a "fluke" punch that drops as I think that is the best way to beat him is to stand in there and bang and actually connect (his agility of course makes that near impossible) or be very boring and push against the cage/lay on him without trying to improve position Lesnar style for 5 rounds but if you screw up he will capitalize and destroy you as he is known for

I would love to see him fight Maia if Maia can get past Marquardt. I think he's good enough on the ground to offer Silva some very real problems if he can actually get him there. I would also be down with a Okami rematch.

But if he stays at 205 I wouldnt mind seeing him fight the loser of Rashad vs Rampage, Luis Cane, or if the UFC throws enough cash at them to actually convince them to fight each other Machida.

Anyway, since we all see that Fedor is afraid of Lesnar

This alone could be the single most absurd statement of all time. You will see soon enough that Fedor is not needed for this job.

At 205 I can see there be a higher chance of him losing by going against Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, even Jardine, and of course Machida.

Rampage - see Wand/Rampage 1&2 or Rampage/Shogun

Rashad - maybe if he lays on him, otherwise see Rashad/Machida

Jardine - see Jardine/Wand, Jardine/Alexander or Silva/Griffin

This alone could be the single most absurd statement of all time. You will see soon enough that Fedor is not needed for this job.

Rampage - see Wand/Rampage 1&2 or Rampage/Shogun

Rashad - maybe if he lays on him, otherwise see Rashad/Machida

Jardine - see Jardine/Wand, Jardine/Alexander or Silva/Griffin

I see the Russian Coward Fedor still has his loyal fanboys. You won't find an MMA fighter with that much experience who doesn't consider himself a competitor. And what type of competitor turns down a challenge like going to the UFC to see how you stack up? I'm an ultra competitive person and there is no way anyone is going to call me out like that without me coming in to show what's what.

M-1 would FOLD if Fedor lost. His mystique is their one and only claim to fame and real source of income. So they are shying away from the big inexperienced muscle-bound retard from Minnesota. Who just happens to be 6'3" damn near 300 lbs. naturally with a 6'9" wingspan, world class wrestling and the athleticism of a welterweight. I dislike Brock, but I believe he would overwhelm Fedor.

CapCee you may think Brock would defeat Fedor which is fine because it is a possibility. But saying the reason Fedor didnt join the UFC is out of fear of Lesnar is a pretty ignorant statement.

Lesnar is a freak of nature but he is a 4-1 fighter with only one title defense to his name, Fedor is the most acomplished heavyweight in MMA's short history he has no reason to fear Brock or anybody else.

M-1 demanding to co promote with whoever Fedor fights for is the reason he's not in the UFC it has nothing to do with a fear of Brock Lesnar.

CapCee you may think Brock would defeat Fedor which is fine because it is a possibility. But saying the reason Fedor didnt join the UFC is out of fear of Lesnar is a pretty ignorant statement.

Lesnar is a freak of nature but he is a 4-1 fighter with only one title defense to his name, Fedor is the most acomplished heavyweight in MMA's short history he has no reason to fear Brock or anybody else.

M-1 demanding to co promote with whoever Fedor fights for is the reason he's not in the UFC it has nothing to do with a fear of Brock Lesnar.

Brock being "4-1 with only one title defense to his name" is even more reason for a fighter who co-owns his promotion company to not even risk taking this fight. I'm sure he would have rather lost to Arlovski than to a WWE pro wrestler with a 4-1 record. Call it ignorant, call it whatever you want but you guys are looking just as foolish for acting as if this isn't possible.

Brock being "4-1 with only one title defense to his name" is even more reason for a fighter who co-owns his promotion company to not even risk taking this fight. I'm sure he would have rather lost to Arlovski than to a WWE pro wrestler with a 4-1 record. Call it ignorant, call it whatever you want but you guys are looking just as foolish for acting as if this isn't possible.

If you read what I said I started off by saying Brock beating Fedor is a possibility but whatever.

what the crap was up with Griffin tonight. He didn't look strong at any point in the fight and his fist seemed slow, then that punch looked like Silva was swinging at a fly

Yea, that was one of the weakest performances by Forrest I have seen yet. But maybe it was just that Silva was training so hard for the fight that he wanted this fight more. Silva just did great.

yea forrest really crapped out in this fight, i find it hilarious that rumors are going around that he threw the fight.

The jab that ended the fight wasn't the strongest looking punch, even if it did land flush.

UGH!

Anderson Silva is light years ahead in striking over 99.9% of the MMA field. Speed kills. And it all showed at UFC 101. And I love how people want to make it seem like Forrest being this tough guy has a chin of steel and because Anderson KO'd him he is "weak" and all these other things. Forrest has never had a granite chin. Just go back to the Jardine fight to see that.

Anderson caught him with a vicious hook on the button that dropped him first, very reminiscent of the end of Round One in the second Rich Franklin fight. Then the second knockdown with the straight left was absolutely brutal. As pointed out on the commentary, the third and final knockdown was more of the fact he had already hurt Forrest and was the third one. In replays it doesn't look all the strongest, but I assure you with those gloves, Anderson's power, and the fact it was on the button was very much a power shot.

Even if he did have an injury, that's the last guy that would ever quit.

He did quit, the ref just happened to stop it prior to seeing it. On the third and final knockdown he threw up his hand in an effort to have Silva stop.

Anyway, since we all see that Fedor is afraid of Lesnar

lol.

Silva vs Machida makes no sense right now

Also, what has Machida done to deserve this superfight?

Let me preface that this fight won't happen. However, Silva vs. Machida makes a ton of sense. It's a marketable fight (Machida's fandom has skyrocketed in 2009 and Silva's last performance does wonders to regain the stigma) and it's a legit title fight. This would be a fight between two of the top five P4P fighters in the world. The question SHOULD be would Anderson deserve a title shot at a higher weight class against the #1 205 pounder, which the answer is yes considering he embarrassed the former champion and top five light heavyweight.

A lot of people aren't pumped about he Hendo/Silva fight but many forget Henderson won the first round of that fight and he is on a 3 fight win streak.

After his KO at UFC 100 the fight the fans want to see is in fact Henderson vs. Silva. Franklin vs. Henderson II was cancelled because fans reacted badly to the rematch and wondered why Henderson was not getting the shot, Dana White confirmed this.

also im really surprised that yahoo posted that silva said he's willing to drop his title to fight in lighth heavyweight. i haven't checked any other site yet but i'd be surprised to see him drop the title just to go up a weight class and then whart is ufc going to do with the title?

I'm not surprised at all. There is a champions clause in his contract and he's been open about wanting to leave the UFC after this contract to fight Roy Jones. If he vacates the title he'll still have superfights against the best fighters in a higher weight class and not have the champions clause holding him back when he completes his deal.

I would love to see him fight Maia if Maia can get past Marquardt. I think he's good enough on the ground to offer Silva some very real problems if he can actually get him there.

Maia/Marquardt will be a very telling fight, can't wait for it. However, I can't see Maia posing any problems for Silva. If the fight got to the ground, it's very possble Maia ends it, but Silva's defense is underrated on the ground. The problem comes in Maia's strategy to get the fight to the ground, he tends to rush into the person to clinch or pull guard - and when he does that against Anderson he'll evade or simply KO him. Anderson would employ the same strategy he did against Leites and not take a chance, wait for Maia to open himself up on the feet, and end the fight.

I see the Russian Coward Fedor still has his loyal fanboys. You won't find an MMA fighter with that much experience who doesn't consider himself a competitor. And what type of competitor turns down a challenge like going to the UFC to see how you stack up?

Ignorance personified.

This is ignorant. So I'll call it that. Everything written there is ignorance.

Wasn't there a fight in the crowd at UFC 101?

Yes, it's Philly.

There have been people stating, not here, that if Silva drops the 185 pound title and moves up it's the best thing ever. Wrong. Does it help the 185 weight class? Sure it does. It opens it up to a ton of competitive fights. But the problem is you risk, and in all likelihood, hurt the Light Heavyweight division. Anderson and Lyoto probably won't fight, I'd give it a whole 1% chance of happening. And pretty much all the top contenders are aggressive fighters who like to "bang" - Rampage, Cane, Rashad, Shogun, Chuck, etc. Which favors Silva in every one of them and in all honesty he probably dismantles them. So you have the #1 contender in Anderson destroying every contender and won't fight Machida who is the #1 205 pound fighter who would beat them most likely anyway.

In my opinion you have to sit down with Anderson, Lyoto, and Ed Soares and talk about what you have to do to make the fight. If something can be hashed out, move him up and have him fight someone for the right to fight Machida. If they couldn't work something out (most likely) you schedule superfights that fans want to see: Chuck vs. Anderson (another fight that isn't totally likely), Couture vs. Anderson, and any other sort of superfight you may want to throw together. So, in my opinion, the best thing is to have Henderson vs. Silva II, then possibly Couture vs. Silva, and go from there. No reason to damage the light heavyweight division when Anderson would not fight Lyoto.

He did quit, the ref just happened to stop it prior to seeing it. On the third and final knockdown he threw up his hand in an effort to have Silva stop.

He was trying to throw his hand up to block stuff in his dazed state. At least that’s the way I saw it being a Forrest Griffin fanboy and all.

Who would you guys like to see Forrest Griffin fight next?

I would like to see a rematch with Tito Ortiz but with Tito booked against Coleman I wouldnt mind seeing Griffin vs Liddell. Besides the obvious fact that this fight sells very well on ppv I think it's a interesting match up.

Liddell has looked pretty bad his last few fights his reflex's have slowed considerably, his chin isnt as good as it once was, and his style has become pretty predictable but he still has big power in his hands and considering Griffin has always had a very average chin a big shot could end his night. Forrest is also lacking any kind of KO power standing so it seems unlikely he would KO Liddell the way Shogun and Rashad did.

I could easily see Griffin outpointing him standing to win a decision but at the same time if Chuck comes out and mixes his strikes up instead of looking for one big KO punch I could see him winning.

If this fight doesnt happen I wouldnt mind seeing Griffin vs Luis Cane as but i'd favor Cane to win that one.

Griffin will probably be back in Winter against someone like Cane who could be considered a title contender. Not a terrible match-up for him. I wouldn't mind that or a fight against a mid-level guy to let him work him over. Forrest has options though - Ortiz, Jardine, and Cane. Ortiz is booked and Jardine needs to get past Silva, but I'd probably be in favor of Jardine/Forrest II since that ended abruptly the first time and would set the winner up to fight in a contenders fight.

Chuck won't be fighting until at least April 2010.

Anderson Silva is light years ahead in striking over 99.9% of the MMA field. Speed kills. And it all showed at UFC 101. And I love how people want to make it seem like Forrest being this tough guy has a chin of steel and because Anderson KO'd him he is "weak" and all these other things. Forrest has never had a granite chin. Just go back to the Jardine fight to see that.

Anderson caught him with a vicious hook on the button that dropped him first, very reminiscent of the end of Round One in the second Rich Franklin fight. Then the second knockdown with the straight left was absolutely brutal. As pointed out on the commentary, the third and final knockdown was more of the fact he had already hurt Forrest and was the third one. In replays it doesn't look all the strongest, but I assure you with those gloves, Anderson's power, and the fact it was on the button was very much a power shot.

Its not just Silva's hand speed that is so amazing. His movement overall, including his body movement. I was watching with a guy who has fought pro Muay Thai in Thailand and he was amazed by the movement that Silva showed.

He was trying to throw his hand up to block stuff in his dazed state. At least that’s the way I saw it being a Forrest Griffin fanboy and all.

Gotta agree with Biggz - that was not a defensive gesture, it was a signal to the referee. I actually thought he was verbally submitting at that point.

Its not just Silva's hand speed that is so amazing. His movement overall, including his body movement. I was watching with a guy who has fought pro Muay Thai in Thailand and he was amazed by the movement that Silva showed.

Agreed. But I wasn't mentioning hand speed alone, I'm just stating that Anderson was a lot quicker in everything than Forrest and speed absolutely kills in MMA. His head movement and such is just remarkable.

And with each passing fight, I give him a better shot against Roy Jones Jr. At the very least I think it'll be competitive... because if anyone saw RJJ's last boxing fight against an absolute scrub... *shudders* that was just a terrible fight.

If you read what I said I started off by saying Brock beating Fedor is a possibility but whatever.

I didn't mean that you said Brock beating Fedor wasn't possible, I meant acting as if it's not possible that he decided against signing with UFC because he doesn't want to risk his earning potential by matching up against Lesnar.

Ignorance personified.

This is ignorant. So I'll call it that. Everything written there is ignorance.

And how are any of you not just as ignorant for being so certain that this isn't the case? It's as if you people have rock solid evidence to support your contradiction of me. What I say is "ignorant" due to your bias. I have just as much reason to believe it is true as any of you have to believe that it isn't. I'm sorry that I am not as impressed by this guy as you clowns are.

If the sole reason Fedor didn't sign with UFC is because he is afraid of Brock then why did he enter negotiations with them? Was that just to smoke screen his true fear?

Never actually suggested that was the sole purpose. But allegedly he never spoke to Dana directly even with a translator and never met with Dana face to face. I could see them using the co-promotion demands as a bluff to not sign knowing that UFC wouldn't accept. Can't wait too see what type of clever names I get called for seeing this as a possibility.

And if you wanted big money to fight 2nd-level competition, wouldn't you like to be in talks with the biggest promotion (UFC) to maximize the bids of other organizations such as Strikeforce? Leverage is always one of the biggest factors.

Never actually suggested that was the sole purpose. But allegedly he never spoke to Dana directly even with a translator and never met with Dana face to face. I could see them using the co-promotion demands as a bluff to not sign knowing that UFC wouldn't accept. Can't wait too see what type of clever names I get called for seeing this as a possibility.

And if you wanted big money to fight 2nd-level competition, wouldn't you like to be in talks with the biggest promotion (UFC) to maximize the bids of other organizations such as Strikeforce? Leverage is always one of the biggest factors.

Well, there's always "clown" since that's what we're called...

Could it be that MAYBE Fedor was looking out for his BUSINESS interests post retirement?

I personally don't think they need each other...but if the Fedor vs Lesnar match would be such a super match, wouldn't Dana recover his investment in Fedor?

And allegedly doesn't carry much weight. Until that is confirmed, it's conjecture.

Well, there's always "clown" since that's what we're called...

Could it be that MAYBE Fedor was looking out for his BUSINESS interests post retirement?

I personally don't think they need each other...but if the Fedor vs Lesnar match would be such a super match, wouldn't Dana recover his investment in Fedor?

And allegedly doesn't carry much weight. Until that is confirmed, it's conjecture.

Well Dana said it himself but since I wasn't there I left it as an "alleged" situation. And I see that you certainly felt that the "clown" remark applied to you personally. I commend the courage on that one. ;)

Dang, I forgot the smiley after that statement...But anyway. Assuming it's a leverage situation, can you blame him? I can't. There will be people who will still feel that he is (one of) the best P4P/Heavyweights or whatever category they discuss. And there are others that will feel otherwise. I still think in the end (should Strikeforce not fold), he might make more in the long term (through the co-promotion deal) than he would with UFC without it.

And the UFC will still continue to trumpet the fact that Fedor is ducking competition, fighting tomato cans (who were in the UFC before), or whatever else.

The only ones who get cheated are the fans who want to see that fight.

Archived