Champions Online

Remianen

I am thinking more and more about trying this out. I enjoyed my DK until the recent nerfs, and I have a Shaman I think I might like to raid with but the past two years worth of raiding guilds on 3 different servers has stunk to the point I think I'm done with the game.

How's the leveling grind in CO? Do the travel powers compare well with the ones in CoH? (I loved the travel powers in CoH). Also heard there was stuff built into the environment that can be picked up and thrown around... can that be done early on?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am thinking more and more about trying this out. I enjoyed my DK until the recent nerfs, and I have a Shaman I think I might like to raid with but the past two years worth of raiding guilds on 3 different servers has stunk to the point I think I'm done with the game.

How's the leveling grind in CO? Do the travel powers compare well with the ones in CoH? (I loved the travel powers in CoH). Also heard there was stuff built into the environment that can be picked up and thrown around... can that be done early on?

Assuming it didn't radically change from Beta last Thursday:

Travels powers are better than CoH;you get one at level 5 or 6 (pretty much soon as you finished the tutorial), they look nicer and bigger selection,plus they all seem to actually get you around pretty quickly.

Grinding is IMO,a bit easier, compared to other MMO's ,lot more things you can solo without needing a group.

Alot of things can be picked up and thrown (mailboxes,garbage cans,benches,and more all the way up to whole big trucks),what you can lift and throw literally depends on your Strength stat (IIRC),throwing objects at enemies actually does half decent damage too.

How do i explain the powers set up? Yes,it's spread out but then powers you do get don't diminish in effectiveness? Like if you get a primary single target attack at level 6 it will still be a great primary 30 levels later.....maybe Rem could explain it better lol

Question: considering sorcery has it problems,if I was going to make a support "healer" type,would telekinetic(or whatever that mental based framework that has the heals is) better than a sorcery healer then?

Travels powers are better than CoH;you get one at level 5 or 6 (pretty much soon as you finished the tutorial), they look nicer and bigger selection,plus they all seem to actually get you around pretty quickly.

Yup. Travel powers available include Flight, Fire Flight (think Firestar/Phoenix. Flight with a fire aura), Hover Disc (Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, the Leader, Galactus, etc), Ice Slide (Iceman), Tunneling (Mole Man), Teleportation, Swinging (yes, like your friendly neighborhood....), Super Jump, Rocket Jump, Rocket Boots (Iron Man), Super Speed, Acrobatics (basically a toned down combo of Super Speed and Super Jump, with flips), Earth Flight (like Ice Slide but with a big rock under your feet) and I might be missing one. Each has slightly different characteristics. Like, rocket boots are the fastest in straight line speed....but takes longer to GET to that speed. Plus, it's not quite as maneuverable as vanilla flight.

Grinding is IMO,a bit easier, compared to other MMO's ,lot more things you can solo without needing a group.

It is, plus this dev team was obviously heavily influenced by pop culture. Like, in Chinatown, you see a ton of references to/from Big Trouble in Little China. You have missions with names like 'Foxbattle of the Network Stars', one villain has minions that are production items (spotlight, speakers, etc) and tongue in cheek references (Fan Boy). It's fun as all heck and there are a lot of really nice touches I wish CoX had. Like citizens treating you like a rock star and asking for your autograph because you're a superhero. And an awesome mechanic the game has makes it different from CoX in that, there's really no focus on newspaper/scanner missions. Citizens themselves will come up to you and give you missions ("I just saw some Black Aces sneak into a warehouse over there with a bunch of computer equipment").

Alot of things can be picked up and thrown (mailboxes,garbage cans,benches,and more all the way up to whole big trucks),what you can lift and throw literally depends on your Strength stat (IIRC),throwing objects at enemies actually does half decent damage too.

More than decent. Throwing things is actually a big part of a melee's DPS, depending on the melee. Might characters (the ones who can throw cars from level 1ish since their strength is a key stat) do big damage throwing stuff. I just did Burnside (a ghost town, literally!) with my Brick (Brick = tank, or defensively focused melee) and she was throwing stagecoaches and doing ridiculous AoE damage. Why AoE? Well, think about it. If someone throws a car at the guy next to you, aren't you gonna eat steel too? :p The way the game works is, the bigger the item you throw, the more damage you do (seems obvious). So while everyone can pick up and throw barrels and crates, if I throw a Hummer, it's going to hurt more. Here's an example:

This is Platinum Dawn, my Brick:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Kension/Champions/PlatinumDawn.jpg

This is Dawn with a Hummer, ready to toss:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Kension/Champions/DawnHummer.jpg

Another nice touch is how well knockback/up is done in the game. If I hit a mob with say, Uppercut (Might power that does exactly what you'd expect, in Super Punch-Out fashion), the mob takes damage when I hit them.....and then again when they hit the ground a few seconds later. Both of those damage amounts are attributed to ME (unlike CoH) so I get full xp for it.

How do i explain the powers set up? Yes,it's spread out but then powers you do get don't diminish in effectiveness? Like if you get a primary single target attack at level 6 it will still be a great primary 30 levels later.....maybe Rem could explain it better lol

Yeah, throw out all your ideas about 'classes'. You can make a tankmage in this game. In fact, everyone's a tank mage, they just tank and mage differently. So, while a Might based character might be a 'better' tank in common MMO terms, everyone can tank using their own tools. I've tanked Super Villains with a DPS focused Ice character (using Ice's inherent slowing abilities to reduce incoming damage and hold/stun mobs I have aggro on).

If you want to create an arcane swordsman/woman who uses blades and tosses magical bolts, guess what? Dual Blades framework with Eldritch Blast or something works for that concept.

Question: considering sorcery has it problems,if I was going to make a support "healer" type,would telekinetic(or whatever that mental based framework that has the heals is) better than a sorcery healer then?

No. Telepathy's heal is....well, ****. You can get the heal from Arcane Sorcery which is a cone and hits everyone in its area. Heck, you can splash heals from 3 different frameworks if that's what you want. One thing I will say is that 'healers' in CO don't work, really. Support focused characters do but the typical 'stand back and heal the injured' just doesn't contribute enough to a team to be worth a slot (especially since there's only 5 slots in a team).

I think your best bet will be creating more of a controller type of character (or corrupter). That is, a character that does more than just heal. In CO, folks can be whatever they wanna be and most people take full advantage of that.

Crownsy, I think you misunderstood me. The splitting of Sorcery has nothing to do with your selection of powers. All I meant was they split the framework into four trees but none of those trees can really stand on its own. You pretty much HAVE to dip into other trees (so you can have a "pure" Darkness or Fire or Ice or Electricity character but you really can't have a 'pure' Radiant Sorcerer). Force has a similar problem, though it at least has enough powers to take you to the mid to late 20s (it's just that several of those powers aren't very fun).

I added everyone 'cept crownsy (just in case the name's not available :p) and Purpcowboy (says Purpcowboy has me on ignore).

STATISTICS

Strength - Knockback, Knockback Resistance, Tangible Hold Breakfree

Dexterity - Critical Chance, Stealth Range

Constitution – Maximum Health

Intellect - Reduces Energy Cost, Reduces Recharge, Stealth Detection

Ego - Critical Severity, Intangible Hold Breakfree

Presence - Threat Generation

Recovery – Energy Equilibrium, Energy Generation

Endurance – Maximum Energy

FRAMEWORKS AND RECOMMENDED STATISTICS

Might - STR/CON

Electricity - REC/END

Fire - PRE/REC

Force - EGO/END

Ice - DEX/REC

Archery - DEX/INT

Gadgeteer - INT/END

Munitions - DEX/EGO

Powered Armor - STR/INT

Dual Blades - STR/DEX

Fighting Claws - STR/DEX

Single Blade - STR/DEX

Martial Arts - STR/DEX

Telekinesis - CON/EGO

Telepathy - EGO/PRE

Darkness - CON/END

Sorcery - INT/PRE

Supernatural - CON/REC

Frameworks with a Melee Endurance Builder

Might

Dual Blades

Fighting Claws

Single Blade

Martial Arts

Supernatural

INNATE CHARACTERISTICS

Innate characteristics grant a +12 to the two characteristics that are recommended by the corresponding power framework and a +5 to all other characteristics. The exception is "The Hero" which grants the following bonuses: +8 CON, STR, DEX, INT, EGO, and PRE/ +6 END and REC. The other innate characteristics are titled as follows.

Sureshot

Abyssal

Electric Potential

Incandescent

Impetus

technological Intuition

Absolute Zero

One of Mind and Body

Superhuman

Quick Trigger

Mechanized

Arcanus

Inhuman

Matter Manipulation

Mind Reader

LEVEL PROGRESSION

Level 1; End Builder, Starter Power

Level 2;

Level 3;

Level 4;

Level 5; Super Stat, Power Point, Travel Power

Level 6; Talent Point

Level 7; Advantage Points

Level 8; Power Point

Level 9; Talent Point

Level 10; Advantage Points

Level 11; Power Point

Level 12; Talent Point

Level 13; Super Stat

Level 14; Power Point

Level 15; Talent Point

Level 16; Advantage Points

Level 17; Power Point

Level 18; Talent Point

Level 19; Advantage Points

Level 20; Power Point

Level 21; Talent Point, Advantage Points

Level 22; Advantage Points

Level 23; Power Point

Level 24; Advantage Points

Level 25; Advantage Points

Level 26; Power Point

Level 27; Advantage Points

Level 28; Advantage Points

Level 29; Power Points

Level 30; Advantage Points

Level 31; Advantage Points

Level 32; Power Points

Level 33; Advantage Points

Level 34; Advantage Points

Level 35; Power Point, Travel Power

Level 36; Advantage Points

Level 37; Advantage Points

Level 38; Power Point

Level 39; Advantage Points

Level 40; Advantage Points

Totals

Powers: 14

Travel Powers: 2

Super Stats: 2

Talents: 6

Advantage Points: 36

CRAFTING FOCUSES (Stats ordered from highest to lowest focus)

Arms

Utility Major - END, EGO, INT

Utility Minor - CON, END, EGO

Defense Major - CON

Defense Minor - STR, DEX, REC

Offense Major - STR, DEX, REC

Offense Minor - CON, STR, DEX

Mysticism

Utility Major - EGO, INT, END

Utility Minor - EGO, PRE, INT

Defense Major - PRE

Defense Minor - EGO, END, INT

Offense Major - REC, DEX, STR

Offense Minor - PRE, REC, STR

Science

Utility Major - INT, END, EGO

Utility Minor - INT, END, CON

Defense Major - PRE/CON

Defense Minor - INT, END, EGO

Offense Major - DEX, REC, STR

Offense Minor - REC, DEX, CON

link

ty for the link. Think I'll wait till tomorrow and buy a box from a store.

I've read that dual wield/TK can make for a Jedi like build but looking at recommended statistics I wonder what third framework might be used to bridge between str/dex and con/ego

looks like maybe Might or Munitions. But since TK can hurl objects around with one's mind, Might seems redundant.

Anyone know if a DW/TK build can work with some Munitions added?

Honestly, you don't really need to 'bridge' per se. The best way to build an effective all-around character is not to load up on your super stats. Your super stats raise on their own with your leveling. So it's best to super stat your preferred two then use gear to keep them ALL up. With mixed frameworks you'll often find that some powers 'key' or scale off different attributes. Because all of the attributes are worth raising (for different reasons), it's best to let your super stats work for themselves and raise your alternate attributes.

Balance makes for a character that can do everything fairly well without having to sell out to one or the other. With the build you mentioned, that's pretty much a no brainer. STR is melee damage, DEX is crits and avoidance, Con is straight up HP, and EGO adds intensity to your crits. Then there's the obvious Endurance (gotta have as much as ya can) and recovery (ditto, if only for a high equilibrium level).

My main (Encienda, in the first post) is DEX/EGO and she's a crit machine. And not these 2-5 pt crits. More like 18-30 pts on top of her base damage (on her energy builder). Her concept is she was trained in the manner of Grammaton Clerics (yes, an Equilibrium reference) but she's a lot more worldly. So her build calls for "pure" pistol skills, some utilities (Mini mines), plus some things from Gadgeteer (Orbital Strike, the heal drones, Nanobots, and the turret drones). With regen as her defensive passive, she's almost unstoppable. The only thing that puts me down consistently is multiple Master Villains at once. And that won't be an issue once I reach into Supernatural again for Resurgence. This one's a good example of scaling. The heal for Resurgence scales with your CON. So higher CON (i.e. more HP), bigger heal. The various forms are other good examples. For Fire Form (fire being Presence/Recovery), the damage bonus on it scales with your Presence and the resistance to fire damage scales with your Recovery. Most keys are like that.

Honestly, you don't really need to 'bridge' per se. The best way to build an effective all-around character is not to load up on your super stats. Your super stats raise on their own with your leveling. So it's best to super stat your preferred two then use gear to keep them ALL up. With mixed frameworks you'll often find that some powers 'key' or scale off different attributes. Because all of the attributes are worth raising (for different reasons), it's best to let your super stats work for themselves and raise your alternate attributes.

Balance makes for a character that can do everything fairly well without having to sell out to one or the other. With the build you mentioned, that's pretty much a no brainer. STR is melee damage, DEX is crits and avoidance, Con is straight up HP, and EGO adds intensity to your crits. Then there's the obvious Endurance (gotta have as much as ya can) and recovery (ditto, if only for a high equilibrium level).

My main (Encienda, in the first post) is DEX/EGO and she's a crit machine. And not these 2-5 pt crits. More like 18-30 pts on top of her base damage (on her energy builder). Her concept is she was trained in the manner of Grammaton Clerics (yes, an Equilibrium reference) but she's a lot more worldly. So her build calls for "pure" pistol skills, some utilities (Mini mines), plus some things from Gadgeteer (Orbital Strike, the heal drones, Nanobots, and the turret drones). With regen as her defensive passive, she's almost unstoppable. The only thing that puts me down consistently is multiple Master Villains at once. And that won't be an issue once I reach into Supernatural again for Resurgence. This one's a good example of scaling. The heal for Resurgence scales with your CON. So higher CON (i.e. more HP), bigger heal. The various forms are other good examples. For Fire Form (fire being Presence/Recovery), the damage bonus on it scales with your Presence and the resistance to fire damage scales with your Recovery. Most keys are like that.

The more you post, the more I read from the forums, the more I am wanting to get this game... My biggest problem is I've been waiting for DCUniverse Online, and with Station pass on one of my accounts (and will pick it up on another for my son, for sure), I'm already set for it.

The second problem is my son... He wants to play a game I'm playing. If I get the game, he will want it as well. I hate to get him into a game that I might only play for a few months, only to turn around and stop after DCUniverse online comes out.

No. Telepathy's heal is....well, ****. You can get the heal from Arcane Sorcery which is a cone and hits everyone in its area. Heck, you can splash heals from 3 different frameworks if that's what you want. One thing I will say is that 'healers' in CO don't work, really. Support focused characters do but the typical 'stand back and heal the injured' just doesn't contribute enough to a team to be worth a slot (especially since there's only 5 slots in a team).

I think your best bet will be creating more of a controller type of character (or corrupter). That is, a character that does more than just heal. In CO, folks can be whatever they wanna be and most people take full advantage of that.[/Quote]

"Support based" would probably have been a better despcription is of what I want,I should have been more clear on that....A good heal,Rez,then buff/debuffs and respectable secondary DPS,so I guess if you speak in COH terms "A controller with a worthwhile heal" would have been more accurate.I have to "spread out" quite a bit just wanted to make sure I pick the right frameworks since it won't have alot of room for errors and I don't want to have to respec a million times until I get it right.

Chris,I'm not really sure what to tell you as one hand you already have resources invested in DCUniverse Online,then on the other hand CO is a really good and very fun mmo game;I guess you have to weigh a good chance at fun now but having less money against an undetermined chance at fun later and having more money

I'm installing now, but just wanted to pass on an alert.

Anyone who is planning on getting it at best buy, best buy has it's street date as 9/8/09

I was told that is street date, and that i was mistaking in thinking the game comes out today.

Luckly the gamestop a few exits down the highway had a few non-resereved copies (glad i went early)

Chris,I'm not really sure what to tell you as one hand you already have resources invested in DCUniverse Online,then on the other hand CO is a really good and very fun mmo game;I guess you have to weigh a good chance at fun now but having less money against an undetermined chance at fun later and having more money

Well... It's not the money as much as just my son getting into it. He gets involved...

For example, he played WoW, and levelled up to maximum level with what he called "Epic" gear (A certain color means it's the best or something), and he played the game for about two weeks to achieve it. Now he is making flying carpets with a new character that he started a few days ago, and is bragging about killing people 10 levels higher then him because he has these gadgets he makes that helps him fight, and a dragon that he summons that also helps him fight. I don't play WoW at all, but for those that do, perhaps that explains something about him... To put it another way, he freakin' beat the new Batman game I bought him on hard two days after I bought it. I didn't even know there were different "modes" of play. After all the fuss about the game, I thought that was going to be a great investment... but oh well..> why should it have been any different.

The only game he hasn't been able to master is Everquest... but mainly because he doesn't want to leave a specific guild or friends, which is what you have to do if you really want to be top end on that game..... You have to just move up from guild to guild till your in the best guild on that server. He could do that, but then he would have to leave his in game friends "behind" so to speak... and neither of us have ever played that way.

Well... It's not the money as much as just my son getting into it. He gets involved...

For example, he played WoW, and levelled up to maximum level with what he called "Epic" gear (A certain color means it's the best or something), and he played the game for about two weeks to achieve it. Now he is making flying carpets with a new character that he started a few days ago, and is bragging about killing people 10 levels higher then him because he has these gadgets he makes that helps him fight, and a dragon that he summons that also helps him fight. I don't play WoW at all, but for those that do, perhaps that explains something about him... To put it another way, he freakin' beat the new Batman game I bought him on hard two days after I bought it. I didn't even know there were different "modes" of play. After all the fuss about the game, I thought that was going to be a great investment... but oh well..> why should it have been any different.

The only game he hasn't been able to master is Everquest... but mainly because he doesn't want to leave a specific guild or friends, which is what you have to do if you really want to be top end on that game..... You have to just move up from guild to guild till your in the best guild on that server. He could do that, but then he would have to leave his in game friends "behind" so to speak... and neither of us have ever played that way.

Hmmm.....sounds like he'd master the content in CO pretty quickly,I can't really offer an opinion on the PvP portion since I have not participated yet....I guess you need to ask if being able to make all kinds of crazy character combinations and mess around with them would be the kind of thing that would hold his interest?

i just got this game from the online gamestop store as a download but when i click on the download link i get this message. C:\Users\CRAIGG~1\AppData\Local\Temp\41mZuEG4.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

and was wonder if anyone else has this problem I already sent an email to them but it took take up to 24 hours before they even answer me and i tried posting a message on the games forums but i'm blocked from posting but i signed up for the forums so i don't know whats going on. i would really like to play this game and it is just making me made that i've had to go threw all this trouble and still can't play fells like i wasted 50 bucks

Hmmm.....sounds like he'd master the content in CO pretty quickly,I can't really offer an opinion on the PvP portion since I have not participated yet....I guess you need to ask if being able to make all kinds of crazy character combinations and mess around with them would be the kind of thing that would hold his interest?

He loved COH, but I talked him out of continueing with it, for DCU coming up. I know he would love CO as well. Right now he's playing WoW, made another new character called Bertoxulous (or however the EQ god's name is spelled).

If I get him into it, I just don't want to end up switching on him after he gets set... I'll just keep watching this thread and hopefully if we come along at a later date (If DCUniverse isn't as good, etc.), we'll probably show up on CO. IF I can hold out that is...

I noticed alot of familiar names when I played the beta... Storm, Cyclops, etc. I wonder if they will be letting that stuff go on or not (Storm looked almost exactly like the Marvel version... and the powers were obviously based on her as well).

I'm still just messing around in-game at this point. Started an electricity character called Jim Surge which I got up to 7 or 8, and then just tried a might character for a few minutes before bed (although creating him could have taken all night!).

I really need to read up on the game mechanics before I go any further, I feel like I'm missing things. I did train up at the Powerhouse to take the flying travel power on Surge, think I'm going to delete him and restart once I get a better handle on things.

I'm still just messing around in-game at this point. Started an electricity character called Jim Surge which I got up to 7 or 8, and then just tried a might character for a few minutes before bed (although creating him could have taken all night!).

I really need to read up on the game mechanics before I go any further, I feel like I'm missing things. I did train up at the Powerhouse to take the flying travel power on Surge, think I'm going to delete him and restart once I get a better handle on things.

Im not stressing it too much, i really like how my custom archetype turned out.

If she's not doing as much damage as i could be at optimum stats for my power chocies, so be it, she's a hell of alot of fun and is tanking and killing things at a good clip.

As i understand it, no matter what powers you pick your super stat governs damage right?

Thus I'm a meele character who also "blasts" through 2 ranged powers from other trees, but my archetype of dex/fort and super stat of dex seems to be allowing me to tear through things quite effectively with either power (i also have good str)

Only thing i really need to work on through items or my next stat bump level is my equilibrium point, as it's at like 50%. like to see that up around 65-75%, though my energy builder fills my bar in record time at the moment.

False chris. You can get to the top of the server a few different ways. Guild hopping isn't the answer, nor is it looked upon favorably. He could elevate his guild to the top (it's been done, hell, I've done it). He could form a new guild with the people in the current guild who share his playstyle...and elevate that guild, based on the efforts of its membership. Finally, he could hop to the top guild on the server (or in the game, if you play on Maelin, as the case is with Triality). Problem is, EQ's playerbase has gotten a lot more casual over the years but the content and design dynamics haven't. So, those people who can play 3-4 hours a day are now the 'hardcores' (they wouldn't have been in years past) and they finish expansions in record time (getting the best loot in the process).

He loved COH, but I talked him out of continueing with it, for DCU coming up. I know he would love CO as well. Right now he's playing WoW, made another new character called Bertoxulous (or however the EQ god's name is spelled).

See, I have a real problem with putting all my eggs in one basket. Especially if that basket is being held by SOE (who have a history of screwing up major licenses). It leads to unrealistic expectations ("This is going to be the best game EVER!") and angst when things are changed during the development process. I'm not saying you're wrong but perspective is an important trait to have. If you had never played City of Heroes, how the heck would you have any idea what character customization on that level is like? You wouldn't and thus, like many people who started with WoW, you'd think the game you decide to play was the first game that instituted that feature.

I noticed alot of familiar names when I played the beta... Storm, Cyclops, etc. I wonder if they will be letting that stuff go on or not (Storm looked almost exactly like the Marvel version... and the powers were obviously based on her as well).

They are. I watched a Batman clone get jacked right in front of me. Toon's name was 'Batman' (with the apostrophes) and the costume was dead on. They jacked his name (to 'Insert Your Name Here') and defaulted his costume to the blue & yellow one from character creation. BOOM, just like that. Look at the picture of my Brick holding the Hummer up there. See the guy on the left side of the shot? Him. That picture was taken a few minutes before he got 'handled'.

They're doing it. It just may not happen as fast as some people think it should.

As an aside, you can learn a lot about the various powers and how they look from the tutorial. For example, Ironclad is pure Might and uses many of that framework's powers during the 'Battle of Ironclad' open mission. Like Hurl (when he rips a piece of the ground up and throws it), Havoc Stomp (when he pauses and then jumps and knocks everyone around him down), Thunderclap (the clap that he does), and so on. Kinetik is pure unarmed Martial Arts so if you blast/break his cage door before beating the Invasion Leader guarding it, you'll see him bust out some Martial Arts moves. Defender is, of course, power armor and shows off Concussor Beam (steady beam from the hands) and Chest beam (you'll know it when you see it). Sapphire is Force and Mayte is Munitions but they never show their powers.

Also, if you look around during the victory celebration, you should see a certain supervillain you rescued during the invasion, sizing you up. :)

Also, if you look around during the victory celebration, you should see a certain supervillain you rescued during the invasion, sizing you up. :)

If it just me or is the villain you speak of intended as a joke on Marvel and DC?(being as he looks like Batman and Wolverine had a kid,then they expand on it later with the fanboy thing)

You do have a point about SOE there Rem;the only MMO game they are involved that I liked even a little is Pirates of the Burning Sea,and that's probably only because I like the setting and the combat is very different as it involves both ships and your character.

IMO,EQ & EQ2 were a little too non-intuitive and geared towards power gamers for a semi-casual guy like me.....and SWG......well,let's just say I can't remember a time when it wasn't broken to hades and back;I wouldn't be suprised if the new Star Wars MMO doesn't take that sucker out back and put in a bullet in it for good.

False chris. You can get to the top of the server a few different ways. Guild hopping isn't the answer, nor is it looked upon favorably. He could elevate his guild to the top (it's been done, hell, I've done it). He could form a new guild with the people in the current guild who share his playstyle...and elevate that guild, based on the efforts of its membership. Finally, he could hop to the top guild on the server (or in the game, if you play on Maelin, as the case is with Triality). Problem is, EQ's playerbase has gotten a lot more casual over the years but the content and design dynamics haven't. So, those people who can play 3-4 hours a day are now the 'hardcores' (they wouldn't have been in years past) and they finish expansions in record time (getting the best loot in the process).

Alot of people guild hopped, and I mean tons. I've seen them go from "I need my Epic" to "I need that flag!" to now being in one of the top (endgame) guilds. Your right though, you don't have to hop guilds like that anymore, you can just join the top guilds now... Gone are the days of having to have this and that to join, now you just need an 85, and a few hundred AA's, and your in (if that's what you want).

We were third on our server during POP, and both the other guilds tried to recruit right out of our guild... and alot of times that worked. I can't seriously play 3 hours a day on any game, so I won't be raiding. My son could, but he doesn't want to leave the guild he's in now, which is a family/raid type of guild... One of the kinds that are doing both new content and older content (old, I mean one expansion ago). They won't ever be top because they get poached from the top too much... but they won't ever die because they have a few dozen that won't never leave the guild.

Starting your own guild, and being able to get like minded people to actually do what is needed to get to the top takes alot more time then one might expect. I tried to at one point, I was given Guild Leadership, and the people didn't want to go through all the progression that was necessary to really achieve what we needed as a guild... You can't have half a dozen people with what is needed, and leave the rest of the guild out, and bassically that's what happened. Right when I did get through to everyone (or at least most) in the guild, to get on the websight, go through the threads dealing with the events, so everyone knows what to do, and listen when we raid, etc.. Right at that time, the time I could play EQ dramatically stopped, and I mean for about three months... I gave over leadership to someone I thought would do something, and they left during that time, and have not even logged back in (so the guild was stuck without a leader, etc.). I didn't make the guild, the guy that did left the game. So we couldn't do anything else with the guild, and by the time I got back, it was no way of rebuilding (can't make new officer's, etc.).... and I can't play like I used to so I just left the guild and made my own, and that's what I do now.. Level up all my alts, and try to get AA's and gear to be able to play anywhere I want, etc.. Do what I can without any help bassically, as I only have a half hour or hour, here and there (maybe an hour or two at the most a week).

See, I have a real problem with putting all my eggs in one basket. Especially if that basket is being held by SOE (who have a history of screwing up major licenses). It leads to unrealistic expectations ("This is going to be the best game EVER!") and angst when things are changed during the development process. I'm not saying you're wrong but perspective is an important trait to have. If you had never played City of Heroes, how the heck would you have any idea what character customization on that level is like? You wouldn't and thus, like many people who started with WoW, you'd think the game you decide to play was the first game that instituted that feature.
All my eggs aren't in one basket... I play Vanguard, and so I have station access.. That means I can play all SOE online games with one fee (its about the cost of two accounts). I actually like Vanguard after they made it playable, but I don't know anyone else that plays, lol.

Vanguard ruined me far as Character creation goes though.. If a game doesn't have something similar as far as body mass, etc... I won't be playing it. EQ wouldn't even be a consideration for me if I didn't already know the game like the back of my hand, because of character creation alone. It's important to me that I can recognize you out of a crowd of people. Vanguard sometimes looks alot alike (although no two people are alike), because of the armor (wearing the same armor can make people look alot alike.

Anyways, character creation is, and has been, really important to me in these games for a long time.

My problem is what if I end up liking DCUniverse more then CO, and I get my son hooked on CO? If I end up going with CO, then I am putting all my eggs in CO... potentially. Meaning, my son wants to play a game with me, and I don't want to let him down. Hopefully you see my point.. Pretend like you don't want to get involved in a game, unless I am going to play it. Wouldn't it upset you if I got you involved in CO just to not play?

They are. I watched a Batman clone get jacked right in front of me. Toon's name was 'Batman' (with the apostrophes) and the costume was dead on. They jacked his name (to 'Insert Your Name Here') and defaulted his costume to the blue & yellow one from character creation. BOOM, just like that. Look at the picture of my Brick holding the Hummer up there. See the guy on the left side of the shot? Him. That picture was taken a few minutes before he got 'handled'.

They're doing it. It just may not happen as fast as some people think it should.

That's exactly what I thought would happen. My Hulkster character would probably have that happen as well, lol... I did it thinking it surely would get the "not available" message, but afterward I thought to myself, I wonder if I could have just said "HULK".

Archived