Champions Online

Remianen

If it just me or is the villain you speak of intended as a joke on Marvel and DC?(being as he looks like Batman and Wolverine had a kid,then they expand on it later with the fanboy thing)

You do have a point about SOE there Rem;the only MMO game they are involved that I liked even a little is Pirates of the Burning Sea,and that's probably only because I like the setting and the combat is very different as it involves both ships and your character.

IMO,EQ & EQ2 were a little too non-intuitive and geared towards power gamers for a semi-casual guy like me.....and SWG......well,let's just say I can't remember a time when it wasn't broken to hades and back;I wouldn't be suprised if the new Star Wars MMO doesn't take that sucker out back and put in a bullet in it for good.

I love Foxbat. It seems like his costume is an amalgam of Batman and Wolverine but he has a lot of Deadpool and Joker in him too.

I'll fess up to being a hardcore gamer type, but I don't see it in the typical way. The way I look at it is, if I enjoy doing something, I'm going to want to do it a lot. So I do. :) Old EQ suited me because I hated UO (though I played it) and it was first/third person graphically (which is/was huge for immersion). It also required a significant time investment, which was also very attractive to me. I've always felt that the people who toil and "work" and put effort behind something, should be rewarded more than others. You see the reverse in real life all the time. Teachers get paid next to nothing but people who put in less time and do less work (relatively speaking) get major bank.

Alot of people guild hopped, and I mean tons. I've seen them go from "I need my Epic" to "I need that flag!" to now being in one of the top (endgame) guilds. Your right though, you don't have to hop guilds like that anymore, you can just join the top guilds now... Gone are the days of having to have this and that to join, now you just need an 85, and a few hundred AA's, and your in (if that's what you want).

Those people aren't the kinds of folks you build a successful guild around. People like your son are the people you build a successful guild around. Once you have your 'core', everyone else is supporting cast. Easily recruited and easily replaced. I always based epic help on time served. We're not getting an epic for a trial member or even a new full member. Gotta pay your dues and put your time in. People aren't going to rush to help you when you've done nothing for them or the guild (nor should they be expected to).

We were third on our server during POP, and both the other guilds tried to recruit right out of our guild... and alot of times that worked. I can't seriously play 3 hours a day on any game, so I won't be raiding. My son could, but he doesn't want to leave the guild he's in now, which is a family/raid type of guild... One of the kinds that are doing both new content and older content (old, I mean one expansion ago). They won't ever be top because they get poached from the top too much... but they won't ever die because they have a few dozen that won't never leave the guild.

Midtier guilds are hurting in EQ now. Most of the content they would be raiding for upgrades, the upgrades are inferior to the stuff rotting in XP zones in the current expansion (with only a few exceptions). So there's really no point in raiding anything but the current expansion.

Starting your own guild, and being able to get like minded people to actually do what is needed to get to the top takes alot more time then one might expect. I tried to at one point, I was given Guild Leadership, and the people didn't want to go through all the progression that was necessary to really achieve what we needed as a guild... You can't have half a dozen people with what is needed, and leave the rest of the guild out, and bassically that's what happened. Right when I did get through to everyone (or at least most) in the guild, to get on the websight, go through the threads dealing with the events, so everyone knows what to do, and listen when we raid, etc.. Right at that time, the time I could play EQ dramatically stopped, and I mean for about three months... I gave over leadership to someone I thought would do something, and they left during that time, and have not even logged back in (so the guild was stuck without a leader, etc.). I didn't make the guild, the guy that did left the game. So we couldn't do anything else with the guild, and by the time I got back, it was no way of rebuilding (can't make new officer's, etc.).... and I can't play like I used to so I just left the guild and made my own, and that's what I do now.. Level up all my alts, and try to get AA's and gear to be able to play anywhere I want, etc.. Do what I can without any help bassically, as I only have a half hour or hour, here and there (maybe an hour or two at the most a week).

chris, I'd like to introduce you to Rendition. That's my guild in EQ. Every one of those characters is me. Every one of those characters, save two, are on a different account. Last time I went back to EQ, I was considering developing the guild into a small, compact raid force. Then I realized that most of the players in EQ (and/or Fennin Ro) can't invest the time or effort to make something like that happen. During this year's anniversary event, we went around and busted up several fabled mobs, for giggles. Got some loot for some friends' alts (who get played far more than their mains because their mains are in nondescript, faceless raiding guilds/alliances with no real direction) and had fun. I know how you feel though. I can imagine how difficult it must be to lead a guild when you don't have significant playtime (since much of what you'll do will have nothing to do with playing the game). But it is possible. I know of several (farmer) teams who do MMM with 24 characters (four actual people) so I know it could be done with that many real players (assuming they're halfway competent).

I can see your point about focus though. It's not as easy for folks to leave one game for another (even if they're just trying out the other game). You get attached to it and the people and it makes it difficult to just leave them behind for the 'next big thing'. I just don't like being bored so I often split time between three or more games to suit my various moods.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Foxbat. It seems like his costume is an amalgam of Batman and Wolverine but he has a lot of Deadpool and Joker in him too.

I'll fess up to being a hardcore gamer type, but I don't see it in the typical way. The way I look at it is, if I enjoy doing something, I'm going to want to do it a lot. So I do. :) Old EQ suited me because I hated UO (though I played it) and it was first/third person graphically (which is/was huge for immersion). It also required a significant time investment, which was also very attractive to me. I've always felt that the people who toil and "work" and put effort behind something, should be rewarded more than others.

I understand where you're coming from,I tend to spend a few hours on various MMO's daily,but then I don't watch TV(IMO just about every "new" show on TV,and indeed almost every channel, sucks and you can only watch re-runs of old shows so many times)

I guess you could say I take a relaxed approach on things;I don't worry much about getting to max level,if it takes me a year to get one character to max then so so be it....I don't worry about having some uber build as laid out by a calculator,I pick what I like and go for what is effective and fun for me...I don't stand around spamming LFG over and over,I join up with whoever needs help with something or whoever is just playing for fun....PvP was never my style(it gets too confrontational and immature at times for me) and the disorganized mess that is most raids is not for me either.

It doesn't bother me that those who powergame go further,that's simply a return on the hours of grinding,etc. they put in that other players don't.The killer is when powergamers burn through everything offered then complain so loudly that the game developers start changing things so that everyone has to play in that style to get anywhere;the last thing I want to do is spend my time every day begging for a group to kill the same guys over and over until I get that 1 in 10000 drop I need to finish some quest(which i can't buy cause the people with tons of cash have pushed the price from them up so high I can't afford it),then get shafted out of it cause some other putz insists on rolling for it cause he/she "needs it for their <insert alt class here>".

I would say im the same way modern.

I don't have the time to put in that others do, and im very happy with the way my hero is progressing, even if im sure she's not quite built the "perfect way. Im there to have fun, and for me thats just playing for fun and not stressing being the best.

But I also firmly agree that people who put in more time and effort should see greater rewards than I do. IT's only right. I don't begrudge power gamers thier advantages, they should obtain them, they put more time in than i do.

I would say im the same way modern.

I don't have the time to put in that others do, and im very happy with the way my hero is progressing, even if im sure she's not quite built the "perfect way. Im there to have fun, and for me thats just playing for fun and not stressing being the best.

But I also firmly agree that people who put in more time and effort should see greater rewards than I do. IT's only right. I don't begrudge power gamers thier advantages, they should obtain them, they put more time in than i do.

I seems to be the thing,IMO in some games it seems the devs A)Assume the people who moan the loudest on forums represent the majority when often times it's not the case.and B)think if they just throw enough stuff out there they can keep the really hardcore types happy when the fact is just the way many gamers play their games (buy a new game,burn through it in 12-20 hours sessions, then complain) means no matter how fast you throw things out there's always going to be a segment that will burn through in record time then gripe about it...you could work constanstly and release new content 24/7 and some people would still blaze through it then complain about "not enough content";trying to keep up is just going to end up with a big mess of subpar quality stuff that noone is happy with.I say go for quality and fun factor,the ADD never happy crowd can't be pleased anyway;it is like a kid gorging himself on halloween candy then complaining it is isn't fair that the kid next to him who only ate a little candy then save the rest for later still has candy when really it's their own fault for being a pig.

I mean,people in CoX griped and griped until the devs said "heck with it,we're giving you the ability to make your own content"....all it did was devolve the game into the majority of players standing around the AE terminals in a few select zones running the same farming arcs over and over(give players control over the system that let's them level and the first thing they do is figure out how to abuse the system....gee,didn't see THAT one coming!:rolleyes:)instead of going around the city and helping out,kind like, a superherow ould do?...the thing is, the same vocal people who griped before STILL gripe.

First off, Remi, I totally agree with you on most everything (in the perspectives you put it as well). I Don't even play EQ with the same goals as most anymore, I play just to level up all my alts, which is three accounts plus two character's from station cash (you get an additional set there).

I've also recently gone over to Fiona Vie (my normal server is The Nameless). My son's in Ascentia, you might have seen a few video's over the years they have made about EQ. The one with the Knight going splat when they ask him to be Main Tank is about the funniest though, and it's a flash movie with stick figures... If you seen any, the two that struck me the funniest is when the Pally is standing there, and the RL says "OK, Warrior didn't show up, your tanking!" (can't remember their names.. they'd kill me if they knew, lol). He shakes his head, "WHAT!" and everyone is saying "Yeah, you can do it" etc. Then he starts getting confident, walks up to the mob, and gets one rounded, lol. Then the Warrior shows up to beat it, and pats him on the head.

The other one, he goes to pull a mob. The mob sees him and runs the other direction. He's like "What the ...", and takes chase to the mob. The mob rounds a corner, and there is a whole group of mobs waiting there as the mob that is running says "Incoming, pally!" and they all get ready. He runs into the Mob's group, and they slay him, lol. Funny as heck if you ever get the chance to see it.

I seems to be the thing,IMO in some games it seems the devs A)Assume the people who moan the loudest on forums represent the majority when often times it's not the case.and B)think if they just throw enough stuff out there they can keep the really hardcore types happy when the fact is just the way many gamers play their games (buy a new game,burn through it in 12-20 hours sessions, then complain) means no matter how fast you throw things out there's always going to be a segment that will burn through in record time then gripe about it...you could work constanstly and release new content 24/7 and some people would still blaze through it then complain about "not enough content";trying to keep up is just going to end up with a big mess of subpar quality stuff that noone is happy with.I say go for quality and fun factor,the ADD never happy crowd can't be pleased anyway;it is like a kid gorging himself on halloween candy then complaining it is isn't fair that the kid next to him who only ate a little candy then save the rest for later still has candy when really it's their own fault for being a pig.

I mean,people in CoX griped and griped until the devs said "heck with it,we're giving you the ability to make your own content"....all it did was devolve the game into the majority of players standing around the AE terminals in a few select zones running the same farming arcs over and over(give players control over the system that let's them level and the first thing they do is figure out how to abuse the system....gee,didn't see THAT one coming!:rolleyes:)instead of going around the city and helping out,kind like, a superherow ould do?...the thing is, the same vocal people who griped before STILL gripe.

/nod. I know last time I heard, the EQ forums get about 3% of actuall players' that post... However, the "Vocal" majority get the things they ask for... Especially lately. I kind of figure they are going to just give everyone what they want till EQ dies, or is reborn (as a totally new game).

The best (or worse if your a cleric... or so they say) thing they did, was add in Mercenary Warrior's and Clerics. Now just about any class can do things withought having to get a group. Grouping had slowed down mainly in lower content. Now you have an AI Player character, that can do alot of things a normal player can do, and alot of times better then a "PL'd" player can do.

I understand where you're coming from,I tend to spend a few hours on various MMO's daily,but then I don't watch TV(IMO just about every "new" show on TV,and indeed almost every channel, sucks and you can only watch re-runs of old shows so many times)

I'm the same way. I don't sleep much and I rarely watch TV (even my old favorite shows bore me now). I'll watch a DVD from Netflix now and then but that subscription's mainly for my niece. :p

I guess you could say I take a relaxed approach on things;I don't worry much about getting to max level,if it takes me a year to get one character to max then so so be it....I don't worry about having some uber build as laid out by a calculator,I pick what I like and go for what is effective and fun for me...I don't stand around spamming LFG over and over,I join up with whoever needs help with something or whoever is just playing for fun....PvP was never my style(it gets too confrontational and immature at times for me) and the disorganized mess that is most raids is not for me either.

I used to be a 'rush to max level ASAP' type but then that was what games mainly required (EQ, early WoW, Earth & Beyond, etc). The bulk of the juicy content was at the end so that's where I wanted/needed to be. Nowadays, developers are concentrating less on the destination and more on the journey, which is fine to me. I'm an altoholic to the extreme (come on, 31 accounts in EQ, just so I can play them all together???) so that suits me fine. I do enjoy PvP but to me, it has to be zero-sum. In other words, there must be a consequence for losing and a reason or reward for winning. Sadly, PvP in most games nowadays feel the need to reward people just for showing up. I hate that and refuse to participate. I don't blame developers for doing that (it's a major part of our society - kids get rewarded for just showing up, regardless of what level of effort they put in), it just doesn't suit me at all. I play EVE when I want to PvP since its system works for me (if I blow up your ship, you'll have to replace it and if it was worth my time to engage in the first place, chances are it wasn't a throwaway ship).

It doesn't bother me that those who powergame go further,that's simply a return on the hours of grinding,etc. they put in that other players don't.The killer is when powergamers burn through everything offered then complain so loudly that the game developers start changing things so that everyone has to play in that style to get anywhere;the last thing I want to do is spend my time every day begging for a group to kill the same guys over and over until I get that 1 in 10000 drop I need to finish some quest(which i can't buy cause the people with tons of cash have pushed the price from them up so high I can't afford it),then get shafted out of it cause some other putz insists on rolling for it cause he/she "needs it for their <insert alt class here>".

I have never been one to complain about a lack of content simply because I reached the end quickly. I do complain when the amount of content along the way or at the end is insufficient for the time frame the developers intended the content to last. It's like, you come out with an expansion that adds 10 levels to the game, with xp mobs to get those 10 levels....but only 2 encounters for those who reach the new cap. I mean, you expected 2 encounters to last A YEAR?!?

There are a lot of folks, vocal folks, who disagree with you. They think because they "paid for" the content, they have every right to access it, at their leisure, whenever they feel like it, no matter how much they play.

Totally agree. It's one reason I hope CoX never adds so-called 'high end content'. It's a slippery slope, as EQ and WoW can attest to. You can't add some and then go back to polish the rest of the game. No, you have to KEEP adding because the focused hardcore minority is going to blaze through that new content in record time. It's just the way of things.

I love that! People whined about being able to make their own content and now that they can, they're whining about what other people are making.

The best (or worse if your a cleric... or so they say) thing they did, was add in Mercenary Warrior's and Clerics. Now just about any class can do things withought having to get a group. Grouping had slowed down mainly in lower content. Now you have an AI Player character, that can do alot of things a normal player can do, and alot of times better then a "PL'd" player can do.

I've heard of Ascentia, though most of the folks I know on FV are/were in Fire & Fury (yes, the top guild on the server with the leadership who ebays raid loot :p). Now, about this mercs comment, it's overblown. No merc (not even top tier journeyman) can hang with any of my clerics (okay, maybe Anaia but she's only 65). Hell, most of the cleric mercs can't even hang with my SHAMAN much less the druids and clerics. The only clerics truly affected my mercs are the ones who don't distinguish themselves and thus are considered cleric084 or just a random healbot. Two of my clerics (Donatella & Isha) have tanked AoW, keeping themselves healed in the process, while having next to no raid loot (I don't really count stuff from pre-TBS). It's just like warriors. The people who know better would much rather have a capable, thinking PC tank/healer who is well developed, rather than an AI scripted one who isn't.

So, we getting a super group set up or what? I don't do too much multiplayer but I can contribute a bit when I can.

This is what we need to do. Decide on a name, meet up ingame and get the SG made (including inviting any alts desired), decide whether there will be an SG uniform/costume (including picking the colors), then having someone put together an SG uniform. What's awesome about CO is that you can share costumes just by sharing the saved costume file (the one with the character on the cover of the comic). Or, you can just list the costume's elements and since the SG's colors are automatically highlighted in the colors palette when making the costume, you can apply them easily.

Also, it doesn't matter how much you're able to play. This game's sidekicking mechanic is a lot better than CoX's (the entire team can sidekick to one person, you don't need an individual mentor for every sidekick) so level spreads will never be a big deal.

My votes:

Name: Grey Dog Society (only for the acronym, really). Concept I have in mind is a group of heroes who come together to fight crime but no one really knows why they're doing it or what their motivations are. Kinda like the myth of the Free Masons.

SG costume: Yes (as long as I don't design it :p)

SG colors: No idea, as long as lime green isn't one of 'em :p

If we can get 5 folks together, we can make the SG and change the name later (Encienda's in an SG whose name was changed from 'Peacekeepers' to 'The Peacekeepers' after creation).

My votes:

Name: Grey Dog Society (only for the acronym, really). Concept I have in mind is a group of heroes who come together to fight crime but no one really knows why they're doing it or what their motivations are. Kinda like the myth of the Free Masons.

If we can get 5 folks together, we can make the SG and change the name later (Encienda's in an SG whose name was changed from 'Peacekeepers' to 'The Peacekeepers' after creation).

Works for me,just as long as the SG colors aren't any of those real bright "neon" ones in CO,having to stare at those for an extended period would make my eyes hurt.Primary goal for now should be getting the SG going since from there we can do invites;once we have everyone from invited we can worry about what uniform,colors,etc.

I used to be a 'rush to max level ASAP' type but then that was what games mainly required (EQ, early WoW, Earth & Beyond, etc). The bulk of the juicy content was at the end so that's where I wanted/needed to be. Nowadays, developers are concentrating less on the destination and more on the journey, which is fine to me. I'm an altoholic to the extreme (come on, 31 accounts in EQ, just so I can play them all together???) so that suits me fine. I do enjoy PvP but to me, it has to be zero-sum. In other words, there must be a consequence for losing and a reason or reward for winning. Sadly, PvP in most games nowadays feel the need to reward people just for showing up. I hate that and refuse to participate. I don't blame developers for doing that (it's a major part of our society - kids get rewarded for just showing up, regardless of what level of effort they put in), it just doesn't suit me at all. I play EVE when I want to PvP since its system works for me (if I blow up your ship, you'll have to replace it and if it was worth my time to engage in the first place, chances are it wasn't a throwaway ship).

I have never been one to complain about a lack of content simply because I reached the end quickly. I do complain when the amount of content along the way or at the end is insufficient for the time frame the developers intended the content to last. It's like, you come out with an expansion that adds 10 levels to the game, with xp mobs to get those 10 levels....but only 2 encounters for those who reach the new cap. I mean, you expected 2 encounters to last A YEAR?!?

That's the thing with MMO's;it's not like you have one guy moving from chapter 1 to chapter 2 and so on......you have a guy in chapter 1,another two in chapter two,two or three more in chapter 20 of the story and four more guys who are just starting the Prologue,all at once.You literally can please all the people some of the time,or some of the people all of the time,but you can never please all of the people all of the time.....heck there's already a core of "This game sucks now I'ma unsub!" types throwing a fit on the CO forums on the first two days of live launch because they the very first patch on live servers made it so their guys couldn't breeze through every encounter up to 40.

PvP I can take or leave;the combat itself can be alright but what gets me is I can lay a beautiful ambush and take somone out and the first thing they do is scream to the world where and how they got killed and next thing you know you get bumrushed;also alot of times the only real penalty for losing is a little negative status for a few minutes,which does absolutely jack to create a "fear of death" needed to make PvP really enjoyable.Then there's the whole thing of people thinking "good PvP" means they gang up on you 5 on 1 and you run out so they can kill you over and over then talk trash to you....I didn't put up with kind of selfish,spoiled,immature "I always have to win" garbage when I was a kid playing Army with my friends,I sure as heck aren't paying good money to put up with it now.

My votes:

this sounds like a fun idea.

Figured I'd ask how everyone is liking this game, after getting beyond the lowbie levels (if you have). Wondering how much things change as you level, or if it seems repetitive after a while. Even if it's repetitive, is it still exciting/challenging?

I've made it into the mid-teens(one with a "gimpy" build to boot) and it's still fun for me,the challenge actually goes up a bit as you get further in....the henchmen you could plow thourgh before now start showing some of the same powers you have(within a sensible framework that makes it believeable) so you have start thinking a bit instead of just mashing on buttons,if you play smart it's still beatable though so for me it's about right (so far).

Ignore the foolishness and whining you see on the "official' CO forums,that's the "I should be able to take on 6 guys that are higher level than me at the same time and win" crowd having a hissy because the difficulty has been upped a little when it went live;it's the adult version of a 4 year old's tantum cause Mommy and Daddy just beat them at Candyland.

I've made it into the mid-teens(one with a "gimpy" build to boot) and it's still fun for me,the challenge actually goes up a bit as you get further in....the henchmen you could plow thourgh before now start showing some of the same powers you have(within a sensible framework that makes it believeable) so you have start thinking a bit instead of just mashing on buttons,if you play smart it's still beatable though so for me it's about right (so far).

Ignore the foolishness and whining you see on the "official' CO forums,that's the "I should be able to take on 6 guys that are higher level than me at the same time and win" crowd having a hissy because the difficulty has been upped a little when it went live;it's the adult version of a 4 year old's tantum cause Mommy and Daddy just beat them at Candyland.

First paragraph is true, second paragraph is disputable.

That launch day patch broke a lot of stuff and made several abilities non-functional. I don't mean 'gimp but usable', I mean they don't work at all. The game was made more challenging but only if you avoid those powers. In addition to that, one travel power was gutted due to the reduction of its two parent travel powers (I'm speaking of Acrobatics). Plus, you can't blame people for complaining when the game DID support "taking on 6 guys that are higher level than me at the same time and win" the day before launch. Seriously. Imagine if you played WoW during open beta and preordered so you could play head start and then on launch day, it turned into EQ1. Would you not be a little bit upset?

Prior to launch, Master Villains and Super Villains were real challenges for all of my characters. Considering the fact that MVs and SVs are CO's equivalent to CoX's bosses and elite bosses, that made lots of sense to me (Legendary = archvillain, Cosmic = giant monster). The problem is, they cut player defenses across the board, which isn't the way it should have been done. Not all defensive passives were as strong as regen and invulnerability (defiance didn't 'mature' until the 30s and lightning reflexes NEVER did). So now, everyone is "forced" into taking a small group of powers to function well in this 'brave new world'. There's a reason they've been refunding lifetime and 6-month subscriptions that were sold pre-launch.

Yes, the game is still tons of fun. But to people who played it extensively prior to launch, it's going to be quite a shock. Hate to put it this way but mechanically speaking, superheroes are more 'super' in Paragon City than they are in Millennium City. My scrappers in the mid-teens can take on mobs up to the aggro cap with little trouble (hell, my blasters vaporize minions so they probably can too). That's not the case here. Game is playable but needs polish and needs a way of distinguishing itself from the other superhero game (which it's not doing in a positive fashion right now, in my opinion).

I played the Beta a bit, and I demolished pretty easily two and three at a time (Never found more at a time to fight during beta). I was only on twice though, the rest of the time I had tried to play, and couldn't get logged in due to traffic (I guess).

Anyways, I never mind a game getting to be more difficult. I actually would rather same level's be very difficult, and higher levels be darn near impossible (without great thinking). There is always the part that your a human, and the AI shouldn't be as smart (kind of like Superhero vs. Villain would be anyways... comicbook wise for the most part). So if your the same power, you should be able to win, but if it's a much greater power (and six levels in my opinion... is much greater), it should be darn near impossible.

However... If tons of stuff has been "broke" or just removed, I can understand all the fuss going on. In other words, I can see both sides of the fence.

I like Challenging games.. I "wish" for challenge's as a single player though. The whole Raid thing just wont work for me anymore, with the oddball times I have to play around with anything. I hate handouts, but I also hate when everything that is worthwhile to pursue revolves around 40 friends being able to log in at the same time as you to pursue it with you. In other words... My desire would be for a game that was heavy into solo, and grouping/raiding was more for added fun (or doing things at the same time).

An example would be... A solo quest/event for a specific item.. Doing it in a group will make it faster (for everyone in the group), and very fast for a Raid... if it's successfull, as the power of the encounter would need to be adjusted to give the players a worthy challenge.

First paragraph is true, second paragraph is disputable.

That launch day patch broke a lot of stuff and made several abilities non-functional. I don't mean 'gimp but usable', I mean they don't work at all. The game was made more challenging but only if you avoid those powers. In addition to that, one travel power was gutted due to the reduction of its two parent travel powers (I'm speaking of Acrobatics). Plus, you can't blame people for complaining when the game DID support "taking on 6 guys that are higher level than me at the same time and win" the day before launch. Seriously. Imagine if you played WoW during open beta and preordered so you could play head start and then on launch day, it turned into EQ1. Would you not be a little bit upset?

Prior to launch, Master Villains and Super Villains were real challenges for all of my characters. Considering the fact that MVs and SVs are CO's equivalent to CoX's bosses and elite bosses, that made lots of sense to me (Legendary = archvillain, Cosmic = giant monster). The problem is, they cut player defenses across the board, which isn't the way it should have been done. Not all defensive passives were as strong as regen and invulnerability (defiance didn't 'mature' until the 30s and lightning reflexes NEVER did). So now, everyone is "forced" into taking a small group of powers to function well in this 'brave new world'. There's a reason they've been refunding lifetime and 6-month subscriptions that were sold pre-launch.

Yes, the game is still tons of fun. But to people who played it extensively prior to launch, it's going to be quite a shock. Hate to put it this way but mechanically speaking, superheroes are more 'super' in Paragon City than they are in Millennium City. My scrappers in the mid-teens can take on mobs up to the aggro cap with little trouble (hell, my blasters vaporize minions so they probably can too). That's not the case here. Game is playable but needs polish and needs a way of distinguishing itself from the other superhero game (which it's not doing in a positive fashion right now, in my opinion).

See,I feel it is the devs fault but in a different way:They gave people a certain level of power(being able to take on multiple higher level bad guys without much problem),but then they took it away.I understand their logic in that it was(IMO) just a shade on the easy side in beta,so they tweaked things to make it a bit more difficult;problem is,now that you have given the players a taste of being "uber",it is VERY hard to "tone it down" from there.....so you can say they brought it on themselves in that regard.Maybe in the end it's a matter of perspective;I didn't put in nearly the hours on Open Beta as others,and had to wait until release day to play after OB was closed,so I never really had a good long taste of "how it used to be",so to me everything works perfectly fine and there's no problems at all....besides its the first week of Live release,anyone who thinks CO is doing so bad must not remember the WoW and what an absolute mess that situation was at release and for months afterwards.

If you think about it is kind of goofy.....if these guys are supposed to be higher level than you(and consequently slightly better than you) and you can whup 4 of them at once, then they sure as heck REALLY aren't better than you,it would be more accurate to say they suck.It would be like putting a Divison II college football team against a good NFL team then expecting people to take the NFL team seriously when they lose because the college team was "just that good".

Definitely at the end of the day,I don't feel the whine-fest you see happening on their forums is helping anything....if something needs to be changed then people need to come forward with hard data from tests run on the live servers under controlled conditions,not anecdotal evidence under unknown conditions.

Really it's sad since not so long ago that forum was filled with posts on how awesome everything was....next thing you it's nothing but vitriol and "I'm Quitting!" rants,which are in themselves a joke as everyone i know who REALLY gets unhappy and quits an MMO just goes to accounts and clicks "cancel",maybe they go on their guild and to friends and tell them they are taking a break.....they sure as heck don't go do some big melodramatic speech on a public forum,IMO these people don't truly want to quit,they just want pity,attention,and to have their feelings validated.

I played the Beta a bit, and I demolished pretty easily two and three at a time (Never found more at a time to fight during beta). I was only on twice though, the rest of the time I had tried to play, and couldn't get logged in due to traffic (I guess).

Anyways, I never mind a game getting to be more difficult. I actually would rather same level's be very difficult, and higher levels be darn near impossible (without great thinking). There is always the part that your a human, and the AI shouldn't be as smart (kind of like Superhero vs. Villain would be anyways... comicbook wise for the most part). So if your the same power, you should be able to win, but if it's a much greater power (and six levels in my opinion... is much greater), it should be darn near impossible.

However... If tons of stuff has been "broke" or just removed, I can understand all the fuss going on. In other words, I can see both sides of the fence.

I like Challenging games.. I "wish" for challenge's as a single player though. The whole Raid thing just wont work for me anymore, with the oddball times I have to play around with anything. I hate handouts, but I also hate when everything that is worthwhile to pursue revolves around 40 friends being able to log in at the same time as you to pursue it with you. In other words... My desire would be for a game that was heavy into solo, and grouping/raiding was more for added fun (or doing things at the same time).

An example would be... A solo quest/event for a specific item.. Doing it in a group will make it faster (for everyone in the group), and very fast for a Raid... if it's successfull, as the power of the encounter would need to be adjusted to give the players a worthy challenge.

Broken powers aside(as those are a legitimate mistake,they should and most likely will,be fixed),I find that with my "gimp" sorcery character I can take on 2 henchman and one villain that are slightly above me(the CoH equivalent would be 2 yellow minions and a yellow Lieutenant).....BUT I have to play smart....block the big hits,time my big hits right,manage my energy,etc.

Honestly I think the problem is people who pick powers willy nilly with no regard to how they interact with their stats or the level of synergy with their other powers feel they should have the same level of effectiveness as people who read up first and put some thought into their choices so that everything works well with each other.

In a way it reminds me of a friend of mine I played DAoC with....he played a Paladin,which in DAoC at that time was kind of a melee support character,a hybrid of a Cleric and a Fighter.....every time you got him talking about the game he would cry and cry how his character is "gimped";now if you asked him how he thought his Paladin should work,what he would basically tell you is "He should be able to melee as well as a Fighter and heal as well as a Cleric at the same time"....I think a modfied sort of "I should have all the upsides but no downsides" thinking is,in part,what is happening here.

Archived