No more Don West on commentary.

Hyde Hill

For those of you who might have missed it pwi and tna itself have anounced that Tazz and Tenay will now be the comentating team and West has been moved to marketing stuff. I know many are critical of West, me among them although his heel version wasnt too bad, so will be worth a watch how Tazz and Tenay will do.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24259" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>For those of you who might have missed it pwi and tna itself have anounced that Tazz and Tenay will now be the comentating team and West has been moved to marketing stuff. I know many are critical of West, me among them although his heel version wasnt too bad, so will be worth a watch how Tazz and Tenay will do.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Great move by TNA. Tazz is really good behind the desk.... And since he can't actually compete anymore (sadly). This is the next best thing.</p>

On the one hand, I like Taz. On the other, TNA just dropped another part of their personal brand identity, and went just that little bit further along the WWE-lite road. Don West may have been an annoying tool, but he was THEIR annoying tool.

thank god i was gettin sick of him his comments about velvet skye are just lame

Got to disagree there. That was some of his calmer, more rational material. If he could have done commentary on the men and sounded like he was having as much fun with it as he was drooling over Velvet, I'd be a lot less happy in this change. What made West such a load of suck (in my world anyway) was doing the hard sell and so often sounding like his head was ready to explode.

On the one hand, I like Taz. On the other, TNA just dropped another part of their personal brand identity, and went just that little bit further along the WWE-lite road. Don West may have been an annoying tool, but he was THEIR annoying tool.

Still, this isn't like hiring a WWE burn out that will add nothing to the brand but the reminder that said person is still alive. He actually improves the product. If I were TNA I would do this move 10 times over while taking members of the E's roster that actually helps for more than a week.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="rodzillahotrod" data-cite="rodzillahotrod" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24259" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>its a great move but didn't they just mess up there storyline with tazz and joe? what r they going to do now?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If they want to handle it instory line, they have West admit he is MEM, that the group has other needs and Tazz will be filling in for him. Then he just never comes back after the MEM eventually topple.</p><p> </p><p> OR maybe he does come back and we get a Five minute skit match where Tazz lands two big rights and locks in a Tazzmission to secure his permanent spot at the desk.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mistaken" data-cite="mistaken" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24259" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><p> OR maybe he does come back and we get a Five minute skit match where Tazz lands two big rights and locks in a Tazzmission to secure his permanent spot at the desk.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have a more entertaining idea as far as this goes. Maybe Tenay starts the show alone apologizing for West's absence and getting on him for being unreliable. Tenay has to call the first match solo. Then we cut backstage and there's West bickering with Tazz. An interview segment or two later the argument's done and West joins the broadcast table. But when Samoa Joe comes out to wrestle he does so alone. West is shouting needlessly as he wonders where Tazz is. And that's when a gurgling West is dragged from his chair by Tazz and Tazzmissioned into silence as Tazz takes the mic by force. I would give the entire contents of this computer desk to hear that startled gurgle.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24259" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'd pay to see Taz beat up Don West live on PPV.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'd pay to see Tazz choke out anyone at this point. ha.</p><p> </p><p> He was, by far, my fav. wrestler growing up as his persona was soooo freakin bad ass. Plus, he took something as simple as a collection of suplexes and always had this feeling of being innovative with his throws. </p><p> </p><p> Wrestling has become WAY to formulaic in the last few years. Little innovation.</p>

<p>Formulaic, but at the same time, overly complex. Turns and swerves and run-ins by the barrel-full. Keep it simple.</p><p> </p><p>

As for innovation in moves ... there are only so many things you can do to a human body. Although it does seem like every time I watch a Japanese match on Youtube I see half a dozen new moves or reversals or transitions. Just the other day I watched a guy set up for the Sharpshooter, but instead of turning the guy over, he just sorta spun and ended up with a totally different hold. Looked cool.</p><p> </p><p>

To me, it's less about individual moves and more about variation in fighting styles. Showing something new and different and modern and fresh. Which brings me neatly back to Taz, who is great in many ways, but he's none of these things.</p>

<p>That's a good move, No more Don West going nuts and maybe with Tazz by his side Tenay can stop acting like such a goof too and go back to what he used to be. An announcer who knew what he was talking about.</p><p> </p><p>

Plus I love Tazz ever since some douchebag started a fight with me (no I am not a child sadly) and I panicked and went for a tazmission and surprisingly it worked wonders.</p>

Actually a lot of wrestling moves if executed in the "real" way are very effective. It is actually harder and more impressive the way wrestlers do it making it look as real as possible without hurting the opponent. And yes I still hope West makes a cameo just so Taz can choke him out hehe. Also agree with BH really hope Tenay goes back to more play by play and let Taz do the fun stuff and tell the story.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="darthsiddus2" data-cite="darthsiddus2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24259" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>plus the Tazzmission is an actual REAL judo submission hold called the Kata-Hajime and is used in Judo tournaments.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I did not know that and had to check that one out. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katahajime" rel="external nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katahajime</a> I've always thought that while really close to Tazmission, kata-ha-jime or kata ha jime was a different sorts of choke technique.</p><p> </p><p> And No, it does not seem to be banned from the tournaments. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo_Lists#Kinshi-waza" rel="external nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo_Lists#Kinshi-waza</a>. There are only four techniques that have been forbidden.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24259" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>These are techniques that have been removed from competition, mostly because of their high risk of injury.<p> </p><p> 1. </p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/c93IFN_h8Jk?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Judo - Ashigarami"></iframe></div></div><p> 2. </p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/_T5VGhDGShE?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Judo - Do Jime"></iframe></div></div><p> 3. </p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="150" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/jFNWjJipvz4?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Kani basami"></iframe></div></div><p> 4. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYkltS70yzg" rel="external nofollow">Kawazu-gake</a></p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've included video links to each move, pretty neat ones there!</p>

Archived