Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin

ACCBiggz

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="chris caulfield" data-cite="chris caulfield" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24267" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I wouldn't feel excited enough about a card with Bisping vs. Kang as the headline bout to go out and buy tickets for it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's only one fight though, you know there'll be 9-11 more fights on the card that'll be great. Guess I never understood buying tickets to the UFC based on one person or one fight.</p>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't based on that one fight but if those were the biggest names on the whole card I wouldn't be too excited about watching it at home on tv even with the other 10 or so fights as they wouldn't have anyone that would really excite me either probably. Though if the Penn vs. Sanchez fight turns out to be true then I will definately try to pick up some tickets as Bisping is a good co-main event but isn't really a main eventer yet especially when you're only matching him up against Kang.

don't you think it's abit to soon for Rogers to be fighting Fedor?

Absolutely not. 100% No. No. No. No, no, no.

EXC/Strikeforce has been building Rogers up as the future of the Heavyweight division for quite some time now. With the signing of Fedor if you wait to make this fight you are basically saying this is Rogers' best shot at Fedor --- and when Fedor destroys him (presumably) you'll kill that star. With Brett earning the very first shot you can then play it off as a youngster not ready for the best heavyweight in the world and then if he gets back to winning you can build the re-match up in 18-24 months time.

Didn't really mean in marketing terms as it clearly works there but I meant as in Rogers hasn't really earned his shot at Fedor. The biggest win he has is over Arlovski who he knocked out which isn't as big as it seems as we all knew Rogers had heavy hands and we also knew Arlovski had a glass chin. Other then Arlovski he hasn't really beaten anyone else. We have never really seen Rogers ground game so he still isn't proven there. So yeah for Strikeforce this should be a big fight and hopefully a success but for Rogers maybe he is taking it a step to quick.

Overeem is still injured, and for all purposes vastly overrated. But Strikeforce and, iirc, Fedor have said they want one fight in Strikeforce before that title fight. Werdum is someone who lost to Arlovski, had a controversial win over Vera (Early stoppage), and then KTFO by dos Santos. The Mike Kyle win was his FIRST fight and obviously win since being KO'd.

Rogers is undefeated and quickly beat Arlovski, who was considered a top teir heavyweight and already beat Werdum. Regardless of Arlovski's chin which people knew was weak, and then post-Fedor KO it seemed like 2 million people joined the bandwagon of "Arlovski has a glass chin and therefore not legit". Arlovski was the only other top ranked heavyweight for Fedor besides Barnett at the time, and he got caught doing something stupid --- it happens. To totally discredit Arlovski because of that is a bit much regardless of his chin - there are tons of fighters with weak chins... yet Arlovski somehow managed to work around his and became a top heavyweight, and Rogers bumrushed him and got the victory, not sure what else you want the kid to do.

And as I stated this is the best for Rogers. A step too qick? As I said if you wait you are basically throwing a rematch out of the window by waiting and it says this is the best chance Rogers will ever have at Fedor. By doing it now, if/when he loses, it is played off as him not being ready for that type of competition. And for his career it's probably best that he fights Fedor and learns from the loss. And 18-24 months down the line you can have the re-match... same result? Probably, but at least you did give Rogers the chance to be tested, improve, and then get the second fight in.

Whatever but when Rogers gets subbed in the first round people will carry on asking why Fedor is fighting cans.

And those are the same people who have no idea who Josh Barnett is. They are the casual fans. From all that I've seen so far it's been a positive response from "hardcore" fans in the fight announcement.

And you can say "whatever" but the fact is that this is a good fight to make and the reasons are very valid. This fight doesn't hurt anyone and only helps Strikeforce and their heavyweight division.

Absolutely not. 100% No. No. No. No, no, no.

EXC/Strikeforce has been building Rogers up as the future of the Heavyweight division for quite some time now. With the signing of Fedor if you wait to make this fight you are basically saying this is Rogers' best shot at Fedor --- and when Fedor destroys him (presumably) you'll kill that star. With Brett earning the very first shot you can then play it off as a youngster not ready for the best heavyweight in the world and then if he gets back to winning you can build the re-match up in 18-24 months time.

Very Intelligent Analogy, Completely Agree with this

http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020114.gif

Fine never said it was a bad fight to make I said I think it is abit to early for someone like Rogers to be fighting Fedor. I like the the fight and will enjoy watching it but I won't be wondering who is going to win as it will be the same as before the Arlovski vs. Rogers fight where I knew Arlovski whould win unless Rogers got the KO and it is exactly the same circumstances here. If I was Rogers then I wouldn't like tose odds and that is all I'm really trying to say. Also how does it help the Heavyweight Division?

abit to early for someone like Rogers to be fighting Fedor.

Again, if you wait to make that fight you are saying that is the best chance Rogers will ever have and then effectively kill his star.

Also how does it help the Heavyweight Division?

Strikeforce has essentially 3 heavyweight contenders for Fedor... that's counting Overeem who is under FEG contract and injured from a bar fight. You have basically 1-2 and MAYBE 3 fights with Fedor. By having Rogers first you can play it exactly how I stated above and even sell the fight on him KO'ing Arlovski faster than Fedor. Young rising star with KO power vs. #1 Heavyweight, etc etc etc. And as I mentioned before, if he loses it may be the best thing to happen to his career training wise as well, and if he picks up wins after that like Strikeforce was building him slowly... you end up with a 3rd or 4th fight. So you get an extra fight, which means more time to build and sign more heavyweights to the division.

If you have Fedor run through Werdum and then Rogers or Overeem (depending on health) you are left with no one and the destruction didn't take very long. This fight helps the long term plans of the company and division. It's also a marketable fight to sell and doesn't hurt anyone except Fedor IF (lol) he loses to Rogers, which in turn makes Rogers a fairly big star for being "The One" regardless of how you beat Fedor.

Archived