TNA Impact

Craig Edwards

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24270" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hmmm missed all of that but since 3D lost the title didn't get a limit did it?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> By the time the match happened it was no longer what the match was for. It was now for Team 3D to have a weight limit to wrestle. For about a month they would stand on a scale one wouldn't make weight and a handicap match would happen.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24270" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Say what you want but we haven't had a storyline that ridiculous in a while now. Excluding Deaner off course but that was always intended as comedy, they screwed up giving him the belt though but I guess D'Amore will push to get it off of him.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> One would hope. It wasn't funny when WWE did it in 1999 with Harvey Whippleman and it's even less funny now with Deaner not even TRYING to look the part. Although if he gets to the point years down the world where he's a world title contender and is rattling off the other titles he's held along the way, I hope that he gets to toss this Knockouts bit onto the list. That's when this oddball move might be kind of amusing.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="cappyboy" data-cite="cappyboy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24270" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Funny. He doesn't look a thing like Jesse Metcalfe. Oh well.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Different strokes for different folks I guess. But that's the very thing that makes me believe in and want to root for AJ so much more so than I ever will for Jeff Hardy. AJ's had a lot more natural scratching and clawing to do to get where he is. Where Jeff's issues have been largely self-made. And don't think I'm picking on Jeff based on Net rumblings. That's just going by what's been said by both in character. </p><p> </p><p> As a result, AJ may have sounded "like a loser extreme southener who has watched too many soaps" to you. To me, he's presented as having suffered so much away from the ring, he's EARNED the right to crack like he did. AJ's what I want to see in a "rebuilding my life through wrestling" face. Jeff Hardy I don't believe in because he makes the process of rebuilding his career feel too easy. He doesn't sound like he knows hardship like AJ does.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> All wrestlers go through hardships to accept the career they have. The issue with Styles is not that one promo alone, its that the next one will be a whinge, or if its an aggressive promo it will be like listening to a scolded cat like Bobby Lashley. When a true great like Ric Flair gets emotional on national television you get emotional with him, when AJ Styles gets emotional it comes across as a Heartbreak High sob story. Even Jeff Hardy's promos on similar issues came across so much better in promo form. Thats the issue for me I don't think AJ can cut truly ground breaking/credible promos to lead a wrestling organisation at this level, for a small/cult promotion as TNA has been in the past its been fine, but that didn't cut it for their grandiose plans of where they want to be. You only have to compare the promo he cut with the response from Sting which was miles better and completely saved the segment.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tristram" data-cite="tristram" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24270" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>All wrestlers go through hardships to accept the career they have. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And I'm not suggesting that Hardy, The Man hasn't. Like you said, it's part and parcel of being in the wrestling biz. But Hardy, The Character doesn't SOUND like he knows hardships that aren't of own making like AJ does. He makes being a reclamation act FEEL too easy. It's the aesthetics I'm questioning with Hardy. Just as you are AJ's. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tristram" data-cite="tristram" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24270" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> The issue with Styles is not that one promo alone, its that the next one will be a whinge, or if its an aggressive promo it will be like listening to a scolded cat like Bobby Lashley. When a true great like Ric Flair gets emotional on national television you get emotional with him, when AJ Styles gets emotional it comes across as a Heartbreak High sob story. Even Jeff Hardy's promos on similar issues came across so much better in promo form. Thats the issue for me I don't think AJ can cut truly ground breaking/credible promos to lead a wrestling organisation at this level, for a small/cult promotion as TNA has been in the past its been fine, but that didn't cut it for their grandiose plans of where they want to be. You only have to compare the promo he cut with the response from Sting which was miles better and completely saved the segment. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And like I said, different strokes for different folks. What you find whiny and melodramatic sounds genuine and sincere to me. I don't know the reality of Styles. But his in-character backstory is about as hardscrabble and potentially soul-crushing as I've ever heard a guy have. If he didn't have some of that "Heartbreak High sob story" dimension, I probably wouldn't buy into him any more than I do Jeff Hardy. If he didn't have the vulernability to cut a promo like last Impact's alongside his incredible fighting spirit, that would make the backstory even more melodramatic to me than you find him to be now. Balance, my man. It's all about the balance.</p>

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would re-use this one. That was one very good Impact imho lots of good wrestling, Taz and Tenay starting to gel as a Announce team, nice effective short angles and a good pace and balance to the show. Good debut by Hamada as well. Faces winning while keeping heels strong at the same time when necessary. Nice amount of good spots and no botches that stood out.

Lesser points; bit too much hyperbole from Dixie in the interview hyping Lashley and semi dissing mma companies for not using him, finish of the main event match seemed a bit off as well as Angles commentating, Jesse Neal vs Rhino was pretty useless, seems Hamada after getting a great start gets screwed by being paired with the black hole of heat and overness that is Sojo, prolly a rushed decision by management considering Khans current status.

I thought it was a pretty good Impact myself. I wasn't even all that upset that Guns were defeated in a handicap match. I like Abyss more and more these days - he seems to remind me of Rob Zombie's version of Michael Myers physically for some reason. They're actually trying to make new stars now, gotta appreciate that.

Strangely, a highlight of the night for me was that 2012 commercial. My cousin (who was watching the show with me) was about ready to launch into a diatribe when I let him in on the secret that it's for a movie. I couldn't help but get a little kick out of that.

:)

Hopefully someone will be able to answer this here.

1. What is the 'tournament' all about? I missed Impact so have no idea what is going on.

2. Are TNA in legal trouble, got booking problems with Lashley or something, or is this the Kurt thing? See here( http://www.tnawrestling.com/content/view/1665/84/)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM TNA OFFICIALS REGARDING THE "NO SURRENDER" WORLD TITLE QUALIFIER TOURNAMENT BRACKETS

“Due to a pending legal situation the brackets for next week’s No Surrender World Title Qualifier Tournament cannot be posted at this point. TNA Officials are working as we speak to iron out the problems, and TNAwrestling.com is being told the brackets will appear right here at 9AM Eastern time Friday morning instead."

i havent seen anything about the rumor about the brackets. the lashley vs rhino has no reson besides it being lashleys first match in tna and him wanting to fight the best. well besides that i have to say it was an ok show i think last week was a lot better, has anyone heard who the mystery partner (womens tag team) is going to be i heard its a familiar face. hamanda was sweet i thought the back flip was a lil weak but i likes the whole match and build up of her wanting a no dq match. i think morgan did go face at this show. i like abyss a lot to and how imo tna is pearing foley and abyss together with their simularitys and characters only think i dont like is him clapping his hands like that to me its like making him mentally handicaped like eugine(sp?).

For the mystery partner it is either 1.Jazz who there have been heavy rumors about signing, the return of 2.Roxxi now that Khan is out of the picture or the return of 3.Mickie Knuckles as she was "used" as enforcer by the BP and now understands she was mislead, if she is healed that is.

The tournament you are referring to is for the final two places in the four way for the TNA heavyweight title at No Surrender. There is also a knockout's tag tournament going on.

Jesse Neal vs Rhino was pretty useless

I do not know why they are wasting Rhino in this stupid feud. I know it serves to turn him heel by attacking a real American hero but really does anybody care about Jesse Neal? I was happy to see Rhino kick the crap out out of him just because of Jesse's haircut alone!

I agree all and all it was a good show.

Well with Rhino facing lashley at the ppv surely Neal won't get involved there...actually, he probably will. But Neal just seems pointless, the Gore is too over for anyone as irrelevant as that to be cared about by the fans in a match with Rhino, they just want him to be gored =D

one person i am really getting into now is daffney. She knows how to work the gimmick and she can actully go in the ring when she is with the right person. He mic skills are good and that is always a plus. I like the crazy gimmick on her and glad she stopped that screaming all the time like in wcw.

I do not know why they are wasting Rhino in this stupid feud. I know it serves to turn him heel by attacking a real American hero but really does anybody care about Jesse Neal? I was happy to see Rhino kick the crap out out of him just because of Jesse's haircut alone!

I kinda do. Maybe not to the level I should. I grant you that. But it seems like they are trying to do two things here. You mentioned the heel turn for Rhino. But it also seems like they are trying to do the lovable loser "push" with Neal. I put "push" in quotes because I don't so much think they want him to be a name guy anytime soon. But I do think they'd like him to be a fixture at the lower level of the card. If he develops into more over time, great. If not, then he becomes Barry Horowitz or Duane Gill. And is there really that guy in the business these days? Based on his backstory, Neal SHOULD get there. But is he going to show enough skill and enough personality to be lovable or is he just another loser who couldn't stick? I want to see that question answered as it unfolds.

In a way what makes the Jesse Neal stuff interesting to me is the same thing that sold me on AJ's promo last week. It enhances the illusion and makes their story world more believeable. Both demonstrate in different ways just how hard it really is to be a wrestler. AJ's promo sold the emotional toll while Neal's job is to sell the physical toll and show the difference between the even the most heroic fan and the professional talent. That to me is valuable work. Even if it's being used as the cool-down before we get ramped back up for the higher profile stories.

I might be blind but where on the sight is the name sending bit etc? I can see the twitter box but I'm not sure if you're just meant to straight email it and if so who to xD

Go to the forums, you need tor register which is free, and its under active topics.

Well since IWA: MS have announced they will but on one last show before shutting down it is not likely you will see that again any time soon. Still Roxxi with the short hair gives her an unique look imho but we shall see. Still glad she is back always like it when "originals" return.

Archived