Summerslam 2009

Self

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="darthsiddus2" data-cite="darthsiddus2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24299" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>ok was that just a drunk fan or was it a plant?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Probably a plant, since it fit so perfectly into the match, but it was very well done. Kinda looked like Deuce/Sim Snuka, from about the 5 seconds we saw of him.</p>

After numerous match-restarts, Cena had Orton locked in the STFU, and a fan hit the ring and attacked the ref, security giving chase. It looked very authentic. It wouldn't surprise me if it really was a drunk fan... but the distraction allowed Orton to get free and hit and RKO to win.

Gotta say, 6 months ago I habitually skipped WWE PPV Main Events. I had no interest in Trips, Cena Orton at al, and it's like 3:30am right now, so sleep would be awesome... but Punk/Hardy TLC headlining... I want to see it. I'd pay to see it. I'll be late for work tomorrow to see it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24299" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>After numerous match-restarts, Cena had Orton locked in the STFU, and a fan hit the ring and attacked the ref, security giving chase. It looked very authentic. It wouldn't surprise me if it really was a drunk fan... but the distraction allowed Orton to get free and hit and RKO to win.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Did this fan look like an Indy Wrestler perhaps?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Astil" data-cite="Astil" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24299" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Did this fan look like an Indy Wrestler perhaps?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Looked sorta skinny, and they kept the camera off him a lot, so I didn't get a good look. Just like they would/should if a real fan attacked. They shouldn't glorify it or dignify it with screen-time.</p>

It was a plant. It's on the WWE.com recap, with the headline "Orton 'fans' down Cena."

But yeah, awesome end to the show. About an effective transition from one fued to the next as you could ask for. And Jeff's still under contract until Tuesday, so he may be on Smackdown! before he leaves.

It was a plant. It's on the WWE.com recap, with the headline "Orton 'fans' down Cena."

But yeah, awesome end to the show. About an effective transition from one fued to the next as you could ask for. And Jeff's still under contract until Tuesday, so he may be on Smackdown! before he leaves.

yea really good card with some good matches, thought the cena orton restart thing dragged alittle, but Lillian also screwed up the restart twice. the first time she was like "your winner and NEEEEWWWWW champion randy orton!!" i was like huh? do you mean cena won and is the champ or did you just epicly botch the names?

Now the question is what will the angle for the taker fued be...can zombies from death valley be anti-straight edge? :p

I am slightly insulted that perhaps the fastest rising star in the company in CM Punk has been crapped on again. A light flicker, and a gong are one thing but for Taker to just bury him with that chokeslam after his win, mind you his first legit, non MITB cash-in win, was a bit much. Looks like another one month reign for poor Phil- triangle choke victory for Taker at Breaking Point. Unless the anaconda vice returns...

I am slightly insulted that perhaps the fastest rising star in the company in CM Punk has been crapped on again. A light flicker, and a gong are one thing but for Taker to just bury him with that chokeslam after his win, mind you his first legit, non MITB cash-in win, was a bit much. Looks like another one month reign for poor Phil- triangle choke victory for Taker at Breaking Point. Unless the anaconda vice returns...

You mean the same Taker that has done the same exact thing to Cena, Batista, Orton, HHH, HBK, and various other stars throughout history.... The nerve.

This is nothing new in how Taker starts a feud... And alot of the above mentioned didn't even have a match before he got them.

For the first time in a LONG time I actually stayed up to watch this PPV, don't know why, but figured, what the heck. And I have to say, I am actually pleased that I did.

Although most of the show was average at best, there were some great spots. I have always been a big DX mark (even to the point of throwing a crotch chop at a teacher and shouting suck it at the top of my little voice when they first got together) so I absolutely loved their entrance (with the exception of the 'toy soldiers' firing their toy guns...what was that about) and I actually really enjoyed the match.

I like Cody and Ted, but can't help every time I see them wondering what the chances are of the charisma gene being left out of the reproductive process twice, and then those babies both becoming wrestlers and forming a tag team...I mean, in each case Daddy was an amazing entertain and Cody and Ted are just...meh...but as wrestlers they have been ok and I hope this match gives them the kick up the ass they need because to me they have kind of stalled.

Maybe I am the last Cena fan left on the internet, but who cares. I think he is great and really feel for the guy when he gets booed so much. Seriously, what has he done that he deserves to be booed? As far a character goes, he is a revamped version of the immortal Hulk Hogan and is THE hero. Now, as far as the business goes, damn, I think we have all heard some great stuff about this guy, so why oh why do people insist on hating on him? It isn't his fault if the creative team and stuck on groundhog day and don't even have enough creativity between them to complete and paint by number picture.

Anyway, enough about Cena....I really enjoyed the match. There was something pretty refreshing about the restarts and, if (and that is still a big if) the fan was a plant then I say the 'E, and Cena, the ref and to an extent Orton need to be congratulated. Seriously, when was the last time that WWE or TNA had you questioning something that happened at a PPV? For years it has all been so predictable or just so poorly played out that you could clearly see what should and shouldn't have happened. The fan incident they sold and I really thought it was just some drunk. In this, no-one can diss on Cena because he sold it beautifully! Although remember, this only applies if it was a plant.

Hardy and Punk was awesome. I thought both guys did a great job and it is a fitting ending to this chapter in Jeff's career. Personally, I am not so keen on a Punk/Taker feud because I only see one ending (and this comes back to the predictability) and yet again Punk will be a throwaway champ. I would much rather see a full blown Punk/M.Hardy feud as it makes perfect sense in continuity terms and would (I think) be a great main event feud that would be amazingly refreshing and could finally launch Matt to the top like he deserves.

Now, to the bad points. I am trying to recall all the ones that I counted last night, but am struggling, but WWE seems like botch city right now. First there was Khali vs Kane that was just sloppy and full of minor botch spots. Then there was Legacy vs DX (now I am not sure if this was intended or not) but on a number of occassions Legacy tripped when entering the right after a tag, and for sure at least 1 of them was a botch. Then there was Lillian, poor poor Lillian....if you are going to work in the business then at least pay attention to what is going on! Surely you must know, oh, Randy is champ going in, so he can't be the new champ....Also, why did it have to come from her? Why couldn't McMahon himself come out and restart the match? That would have had so much more to it, but maybe it was a conscious decision as they don't want to continue an Orton vs McMahon feud.

Then there was Punk vs Hardy. Now I am being lenient with this because working with 'foreign' objects does have its difficulties, but there were a good few botches, not least of all the chair spot where Punk slammed Jeff down onto a prone chair. Now I may be wrong, but I don't think Punk intended to put him down on the back of the chair....

Then, there was the good old botch/f* up with JR's mic, and it was quite clear that neither the production team or JR's colleague (who was it) had no idea how to handle the situation.

Anyway, I counted a fare few last night, and maybe I am being too critical and it is just because of the fuss about the Gail vs Mickie match but I think the 'E need to be careful not to make this a regular thing.

All in all though I quite enjoyed the show.

I was somewhat amazed and surprised about how good the actual PPV was, given that the card seemed to be quite bad. Mysterio vs. Ziggler was really good, so was DX vs. Legacy and for some reason, maybe because of the amazing overbooking of Orton vs. Cena, I liked it, because the moment the overbooking started I sighed to myself "****, Cena is going to win this", I'm glad I was wrong. The main event was fantastic and the post-match return of Taker.. Wow.

Maybe I am the last Cena fan left on the internet, but who cares. I think he is great and really feel for the guy when he gets booed so much. Seriously, what has he done that he deserves to be booed? As far a character goes, he is a revamped version of the immortal Hulk Hogan and is THE hero. Now, as far as the business goes, damn, I think we have all heard some great stuff about this guy, so why oh why do people insist on hating on him? It isn't his fault if the creative team and stuck on groundhog day and don't even have enough creativity between them to complete and paint by number picture.

Lots of people got pretty sick of Hogan as well and started booing him.

You're slightly insulted that not only did Punk win on the show's main event, he kicked off a program with one of the biggest stars in the history of the business? As said earlier, this is what Undertaker does in his feuds, and Punk even has the defense that he was just in a grueling 20+ minute title match; how does it "crap on him" from a storyline perspective that he is taken by surprise by a returning Undertaker? WWE is giving Punk the ball at the second biggest pay per view of the year and you're upset about it?

Brilliant show IMO. Ziggler/Rey was a great way to start after their last PPV match didn't really have the crowd's attention. Making the belt on Rey keeps sense if they can find the right next challenger...I'd love to see him vs. Finlay, doesn't need to involve a Finlay turn but it'd be a damn good match.

MVP/Swagger was all about who won and I'm pleased MVP did, he needs to move up a level and fast...Kane/Khali the same, glad Kane won and hope he gets a better feud now, I think him and Morrison would be a good combination for a while. Both tag matches, DX especially, were good for what they were, and I enjoyed the squash...there tends to be one at Mania these days and that's the feel they're going for, with the big DX entrance as well.

Orton/Cena was great, Raw has needed some chaotic endings to spice up tired ME feuds, and as for the TLC...damn. Ending was perfect as well. Enjoyed this more than any show as long as I can remember.

Archived