All Time Greatest Video Game Hero

mjdgoldeneye

I made my picks, I called Ryu Hayabusa vs Mario for the finals, and Hayabusa winning.

I'm a big Ninja Gaiden fan :p

You know that this is just a bracket to pick who you THINK will win, not who do you WANT to win. That's later.

Ninja Gaiden is good, but do you honestly think Hayabusa is more popular than Leon Kennedy, Duke Nukem, Fox McCloud, Earthworm Jim, Link, Banjo/Kazooie, or Donkey Kong? That's just in his section of bracket!

I have it down to Mario beating Master Chief, Snake beating Link, and Mario beating Snake with 58% of the vote.

If my generation were picking it would be mario vs pac-man in the finals with pac-man winning out. But i don't know how well he will be recieved by the younger gamers.

also, its a travesty that mrs. pac-man was left off the list.

That's Pac-Man with a bow...

Honestly, it's not even best game character. It's best game HERO. Pac-Man was too old school to really be a hero. His goal was about as vague as it gets!

I mean, the ghosts were bad guys, but does opposing evil make one good? Having two Pac-people would cause too much of a moral debate... :p (Or not...)

I wish Toe Jam & Earl were on the list. The Genesis guys got badly shortchanged by being matched up with great characters early on.

There's tons of silly choices on here. Who's Bonk anyway?

There's tons of silly choices on here. Who's Bonk anyway?

Bonk was a cute, big headed cave-kid who was created by Hudson to be the mascot of NEC's only entry into the console side of the game industry, the TurboGrafx-16/Turbo CD/TurboDuo (also known as the PcEngine outside the US) and the TurboExpress (a portable version that played the TG-16 Hucards), which launched around the end of the NES's lifespan. He fought dinos with a variety of headbutts in a solid platformer style. He starred in the games Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure, and Air Zonk (as a cyberneticly enhanced cave-kid in a side scrolling shooter, which were very popular on the TG-16). There was also a Bonk game on the SNES (Super Bonk) that he also starred in towards the end of his home console's life as Hudson's way of salvaging the series, but Super Bonk met with a lukewarm reception as it didn't have the name value it did on it's home console and wasn't the best of the series, so Bonk has sort of faded into gaming history until recently with the Wii and the VC sort of resurrecting the console and exposing it to a whole new audience who never had the chance to experience these forgotten classics.

/Johnny F'N Turbo!

Bonk was a cute, big headed cave-kid who was created by Hudson to be the mascot of NEC's only entry into the console side of the game industry, the TurboGrafx-16/Turbo CD/TurboDuo (also known as the PcEngine outside the US) and the TurboExpress (a portable version that played the TG-16 Hucards), which launched around the end of the NES's lifespan. He fought dinos with a variety of headbutts in a solid platformer style. He starred in the games Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure, and Air Zonk (as a cyberneticly enhanced cave-kid in a side scrolling shooter, which were very popular on the TG-16). There was also a Bonk game on the SNES (Super Bonk) that he also starred in towards the end of his home console's life as Hudson's way of salvaging the series, but Super Bonk met with a lukewarm reception as it didn't have the name value it did on it's home console and wasn't the best of the series, so Bonk has sort of faded into gaming history until recently with the Wii and the VC sort of resurrecting the console and exposing it to a whole new audience who never had the chance to experience these forgotten classics.

/Johnny F'N Turbo!

Wow,I remember the TG16...Ys Book 2 & 3 or the Turbo CD were probably one of the best of the overhead type RPG's in that era,with some of the best game music around.

Actually the system itself was not bad,just no support/game library in the U.S.

Wow,I remember the TG16...Ys Book 2 & 3 or the Turbo CD were probably one of the best of the overhead type RPG's in that era,with some of the best game music around.

Actually the system itself was not bad,just no support/game library in the U.S.

It had a decent library. Some great shooters, the Bomberman and Bonk series, and some arcade ports (like slaughterhouse), but yeah, the only company to give it any real support was Hudson and they ended up owning it. Doesn't help that neither company involved in the system could market the thing worth a crap. Not really surprising that it didn't receive much support though, considering they were going up against old school Ninty and their back room politics, then Sega came along and really torpedoed them. Sometimes I wonder how Sega pulled it off.

It had a decent library. Some great shooters, the Bomberman and Bonk series, and some arcade ports (like slaughterhouse), but yeah, the only company to give it any real support was Hudson and they ended up owning it. Doesn't help that neither company involved in the system could market the thing worth a crap. Not really surprising that it didn't receive much support though, considering they were going up against old school Ninty and their back room politics, then Sega came along and really torpedoed them. Sometimes I wonder how Sega pulled it off.

Yeah,games like the aformentioned Ys and Splatterhouse are classics,they really did alot with the porting of some quality Japanese titles to English(I can remember playing an R-Type type game from Japan and some port over that involved a team of guys in power armor,oberhead shooter but I can never remember the darn title,whole thing was done early anime style),it was a whole different kind of experience than Nintendo or Sega was offering and could have gone places as i felt their CD games were of better quality than most of the early Sega CD offerings,the thing was you pretty much had to go to a video game store to find the games,and even then the selection was usually pretty thin and slightly pricey;still it was better than the Neo-Geo system,which had good arcade perfect games but they were super rare and super expensive,darn game could cost near as much as a whole SNES or Sega system.

When you consider the 8-bit Sega Master System(remember Alex Kidd?) was pretty much inferior to the NES,I guess the only thing was Sega already had a bit of a name going as a half decent designer/pusblisher to start,then they really pushed hard to make the jump to 16-bit while Nintendo got kind of lazy and decided to ride the popularity of the NES a while longer....that little bit of an advance foothold on the 16-bit market gave Sega what it needed to compete,even though (IMO) the SNES was the slightly better 16-bit system,they'd probably still be dominant if they hadn't had almost all their 3rd party support yanked out from under them.

Worthless trivia: Nintendo actually had two different companies working on a CD upgrade for the SNES;after Nintendo lost interest,the one planned SNES CD became the Philips CDI;which totally sucked....the only thing of note it did was release three extremely lousy Zelda games before folding..........the other SNES CD was further developed and released,we know it today as the Sony Playstation.

Final Fight series, T. Personally, my money's on Link winning.

Yeah Mike Haggar was guy from Final Fight hardly anyone picked,he was a Pro Wrestler and the mayor of the city in Final Fight,it is his daughter who is abducted and they are chasing after the whole game.....If you read the background of Zangeif of the Street Fighter series...he got the idea for his Spinning Piledriver from Haggar,who used a big Leaping Piledriver move in Final Fight(picture Zanguef's move minus the spin).

game informer did this awhile back i think Link from Zelda won with Mario 2nd and Sonic 3rd and i think that is how it most likely will go down with gamespot unless a bunch of kids born after 89-90 vote as those 3 where the king of the video games all the way up until the late 90's

Sonic is my personal favorite on the list (followed by Leon Kennedy), but Sonic has sucked for too long. I doubt he'll make it incredibly far.

Sonic vs. Master Chief will be incredibly hard to overcome.

Also, having Megaman, Gex, Ratchet & Clank, and Mike Haggar in a little group kind of makes things easy for the potential opponents.

Megaman is a personal favorite and Gex is one of those characters that had horrible games that you wish did better, but Master Chief, Sonic, Samus, Kirby, Pac-Man, and Dante are all probably winners over him and the others.

I have to go for Link, because to me the Mario idea is ridiculous.

A chubby Italian in overalls whose official occupation is a plumber who has a relationship with a Princess and a rivalry with a massive 'roided spiky turtle and his legions of minions. Who then has a brother who also is a plumber yet has been involved in the same thing and had his own spin-off video games. The spill-over popularity of these led to them being pimped out in a whole variety of variety games. From racing to tennis and "Mario Party"...

While Mario is a legend, the formula for Link makes Link the bigger classic in my mind. The games haven't been as ridiculous. And they have pandered to the "mommy, I want to be a cool Knight-like character from a time gone past" sorta thing that everyone (don't say no or we know you're lying) felt at one point or another.

And as far as I know, Link has only been pimped out in the Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl/??? series.

Archived