I've built WEC up to the #1 promotion in the world, and when I run a PPV in the United States I'm always exceeding 1M buys. Problem is, if I try to hold an event outside the country, my buyrate takes a MASSIVE hit. Why? I'm still putting big name fighters on the card against top level competition on winning streaks with at least low level international name value. The cards do not suffer in terms of talent, hell, I usually stack those cards.

But they lose me money every single time.

The most likely reason is because you are forgetting that the show is rated on where it is held.

Holding a main event of X vs. Y in the USA where both fighters have 100% popularity will result in a very highly rated show. If you were to hold the same fight in Japan where they both have 0% popularity, the show would be very poorly rated because the fans don't know who they are.

As PPV buy rates are affected by show quality, even if your promotion had PPV coverage in both USA and Japan, the second scenario would get a lower buyrate because it's considered a much worse show.

That's why foreign stars are important to break into new markets.

Archived