Demo is OUT!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First impressions I'd agree with the 'Next' arrow as it was difficult to locate at first and when found, only became annoying as its in a position where I'd not normally associate to click to continue (to used to bottom right area). Setting up a move set for my custom guy was a mixture of being really involving and then became somewhat a chore. Due to his skills (or lack of) I had to pick quite a few trademark moves and this spoiled it a bit and made me wish I had created some of my own before hand. Once into the game I liked what I saw. On my first match (trial with UGC) it seemed a little repetative but was still interesting and challenging enough for me to want to continue (I lost). The commentary of trademark moves really convinced me that I want to get rid of them in my next character as it totally spoiled the illusion for me. It would have been nice to still get a description of what each move did when playing a match and the players 'high' and 'finisher' rated moves should be displayed in a different manner (an asterix or different colour) for ease of play. Didn't get any further than that. Only other thing I'd point out is that the 21st Century promotion in the UK had booked a show in the first game week but it got cancelled due to not having enough workers under contract. Might be an idea to look at that part. Overall it looks fairly good and better than the only product I can think of to compare it to (Inside the Park Baseball).

[QUOTE=MajikMan]It would have been nice to still get a description of what each move did when playing a match[/QUOTE] Not sure if this is what you wanted, but you can get a description of each of your moves by highlighting the move in the list with a right click, then left clicking - it'll launch a pop-up showing you the stats for that move, including the description. [QUOTE=MajikMan]Only other thing I'd point out is that the 21st Century promotion in the UK had booked a show in the first game week but it got cancelled due to not having enough workers under contract. Might be an idea to look at that part.[/QUOTE] In the long term, that won't really matter - they'll always (well, unless you use a tiny database) have a full enough roster by the end of the first month, so the only time you'll see them cancelling anything should be in the first week of the game. After that they'll be able to meet every show.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland]Not sure if this is what you wanted, but you can get a description of each of your moves by highlighting the move in the list with a right click, then left clicking - it'll launch a pop-up showing you the stats for that move, including the description.[/quote] Bit fiddly but thats good to know that you can call up this information during a match, thanks for heads up (I didn't read any documentation ;) ). [quote]In the long term, that won't really matter - they'll always (well, unless you use a tiny database) have a full enough roster by the end of the first month, so the only time you'll see them cancelling anything should be in the first week of the game. After that they'll be able to meet every show.[/QUOTE] Fair enough.

I just played that trial month, and there's a few personal points... 1) The interface is fine, but it does take a few seconds to work things out. 2) The same counters work against the same moves repeatedly in a match, for instance my Palm thrust ALWAYS countered Youngblood's low blow with cradle attempt. Is there any ways the wrestlers can learn the counter's you're using so you have to adapt? 3) One month only is frustrating. You're Just getting into it (as the first show often cancels, you're only on about the 3rd match), and you have to stop. I feel that 3 months might have been a better idea for a trial period. 4) Should I really be beating the likes of Joey Beauchamp in my second match? The man is an upper midcarder. Perhaps the difficulty against some of these guys should be upped a little. Especially as he never once tried to actually pin me. 5) Is there any advantage to going for early pinfalls? Does it up the quality of the match if there's plenty of near falls? Just a few points, but enjoyed it to this point. Working in Canada with 4C now, Europe and the UK (21CW and the European one who's name eludes me), and the US with NYCW. One month in and I'm already eyeing up that European title greedily.

Plus a way in which to record your own commentary clips for your own finisher and insert that into the game. It would be very handy if you wanted to use specific names for your moves, like my "New Dawn" finisher, or my "Dead Man's Hand" Submission hold.

So far, so good! Thanks, Adam! The game is great so far! The interface is good and I personally had no problems finding out what the various buttons do. I would have liked to have a preset movelist option in the rookie mode to speed up the move selection process. You know, if you were building a brawler you could choose a brawler set and then delete and add moves as you saw fit. Would also have liked a height and weight setting somewhere. Couldn't seem to find one. Other than that, I can't wait to get the full version! PS-Kinda fun to hear what your voice sounds like! :D And anyone who wants more matches in the demo, just sign up for tryouts and pay per appearance contracts with as many promoters as you can. I played two weeks with Hell Monkey and logged more than 10 matches!

[QUOTE=Nutlaw]Since it is generally a bad idea to select trademark moves when selecting your moveset, a checkbox to remove trademark moves from one's choices would be appreciated.[/QUOTE] There's no difference between a trademark move and a "normal" move as far as the game is concerned, so that wouldn't be possible.

[QUOTE=Starman]Plus a way in which to record your own commentary clips for your own finisher and insert that into the game. It would be very handy if you wanted to use specific names for your moves, like my "New Dawn" finisher, or my "Dead Man's Hand" Submission hold.[/QUOTE] You can, please see the documentation that comes with the game.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland]You can, please see the documentation that comes with the game.[/QUOTE] Umm, the title of the html documents are called "Fighting Spirit Help File" ;) Anyway, this is a great game and I really am enjoying it, I can't wait till Tuesday when I can buy the game!

I would like to see the different moves color coded (green for low, yellow for medium, etc) as well as the original data wrestlers having movesets that don't require editing. Possibly, having a "Mentor suggests" button to fill out the moveset with appropriate moves would be useful. Also, in my tag matches, the partner did not come in for the save or to perform any moves while the ref was out. Kinda disappointing. I didn't see any tag team moves either. I like the prefilled moveset for created wrestlers as well. Would speed up the process immensely.

You can't colour code items in a list, it's a limitation of VB. They all have to be the same colour. It simply wasn't practical to give every single one of the 950+ wrestlers a custom move set, which is why not all of them can perform every move. Please read the documentation - it tells you how to do tag team moves in there.

Gotcha on the VB limitation. When I said prefilled moveset, I meant something so that you wouldn't have to remove unuseable moves (per the mentor) from the set. Don't know how easy it would be to add something (internal check maybe) where if they can't use the move then it's not listed in their moveset. Just some way that we don't have to remove or replace 15-20 moves per wrestler. Checked out the help guide. Answered a lot of questions. Thanks for a great game.

[QUOTE=bookerman] Don't know how easy it would be to add something (internal check maybe) where if they can't use the move then it's not listed in their moveset. Just some way that we don't have to remove or replace 15-20 moves per wrestler.[/QUOTE] OK, I get what you mean - I'll take a look at adding it.

Archived