A Tale of Three Players

When I started playing BBCF last night, I wasn’t planning to start another dynasty story. However, when I took my first look at the high school recruits, I noticed something interesting.

There were three recruits on the list from Lewisburg Area High School, located in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. One was a blue-chip talent, among the top ten players in the nation; one was a solid yellow-chipper who will undoubtedly be courted by many of the top programs in college football; the third was a lower-tier yellow-chip guy, good enough to dream.

I’ll be following the careers of these three players, from high school through their final college seasons. In my universe, players cannot enter the NFL draft early, so I’ll be able to tell the stories of our featured players for four full seasons, plus their senior year of high school.

I hope you'll enjoy the story.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 2006

The three young men were exhausted, but there was nevertheless a bounce in their stride as they made their way across the practice field toward their locker room.

"You know what, guys?" one of them asked his teammates. He had the square-jawed, solid look of a linebacker, which was exactly what he was.

"We never have to do two-a-days again!" answered the boy to his right. He was almost the same height as his buddy, but packed a good 50 pounds more onto his frame. Even the most casual football fan would correctly guess he was a lineman.

"We never have to do HIGH SCHOOL two-a-days again," replied the one to his left. The third young man moved with the easy grace of an elite athlete. Every college coach in the United States knew his name.

"I don't want to think about that now," said the first. All three of them laughed.

In fact, it was quite likely that all three of these young men would have more years of football left to enjoy. They were the tri-captains of the Lewisburg Area High School football team, and all three were considered college prospects.

The best of the three was among the top players in the nation. Jake Doty was universally regarded as one of the best quarterbacks ever in central Pennsylvania, a natural leader with quick feet and a strong arm. He might lack the classic size for a quarterback, but at 6'1" and a lean 190 pounds, he was big enough.

Linebacker Pete Haines had been one of Jake's closest friends since the boys were in kindergartern. Pete's mobility and quickness made him a dominant force at the high school level, and it was easy to imagine him developing into a solid collegiate player as well. He packed 237 pounds of muscle onto a compact 6'0" frame.

The third member of the trio moved to Lewisburg with his family before his freshman year of high school. His name was Nate Ward, he was an offensive lineman, and he quickly made friends with Jake and Pete. Nate wasn't as promising a prospect as either of his friends; some coaches worried that, at six feet and 290 pounds, he was too soft and unathletic. That was far from true, however. Nate could cover forty yards in less than five seconds flat, he could easily jump up and touch a basketball rim, and he possessed the strength and technique to excel in run blocking and pass protection. He had played all over the O-line, but he was best suited for guard, and that was where he'd play as a senior.

For as long as they could remember, all three young men had dreamed of playing college football one day. They had endured countless hours of practice, endless repetitions in the weight room, and thousands of conditioning drills in their pursuit of their dreams.

Now, their dreams were close enough to touch. One final high school season awaited them.

Very interesting I will be following

Thanks, Dublin Sky. I hope you enjoy the story.

Week Four, 2006

Nate Ward’s round face lit up with a grin that stretched from ear to ear. He took a deep breath and looked around, taking in as much as he could. It was a beautiful September evening in Charlottesville, Virginia, and Nate was at Scott Stadium watching the Virginia Cavaliers play the Florida State Seminoles. What made it even better was the fact that Nate was the guest of the Cavalier football staff.

Nate was secretly thrilled to be the first of the Lewisburg Area High stars to be invited to a college campus for an official recruiting visit. “Deep down, I know I’m not nearly as good as Jake or Pete,” he admitted with a soft smile. “It won’t be long before they’re being invited all over the country for visits. But it’s still cool to be getting some attention too.”

The night before, Nate and his Green Dragon teammates beat Hughesville, 42-13. Jake Doty threw three TD passes, giving him eight for the season, and Pete Haines racked up eleven tackles and a sack. “It was great to see Pete play a good game,” Nate said. “He’d been bottled up pretty well by teams who put two or three blockers on him every chance they got.” Haines accumulated almost half of his season’s total of 24 tackles in the Hughesville game alone.

Virginia lost that night to Florida State, but Nate Ward didn’t care. “I love it here,” he said. “The campus is beautiful, and I really like Coach Gamble and his staff. The academics are also first-rate, and believe it or not, that’s important to me.”

Nate would be the first to tell you he didn’t do nearly as well in his classes at Lewisburg Area High as he should. “I’m not great in math or science,” he explained. “I don’t like to read fiction, so I’m bored in English class. I like my government class, so I work hard in there and I’m going to make an A.” Despite an SAT score close to 1300, Nate’s transcript showed more C’s than A’s, and even a handful of D’s. “I’m trying to make better grades this year, though.

“I hope I didn’t close some doors because I goofed off too much when I was younger,” he said.

Week Six, 2006

The three coaches, all wearing maroon and orange polo shirts, sat in front of a large video screen. In front of them, film of yet another high school football game flashed and flickered.

“Back that up, Armand,” said one of the men. He had neatly parted brown hair with a bit of gray at the temples. He looked trim enough to suit up with his players. His name was Tom Cook, and he was the head coach of the Virginia Tech Hokies.

The team’s offensive coordinator, Armand Black, pressed a button and the film rewound a few seconds. The coaches watched Lewisburg Area linebacker Pete Haines shed two blockers and smack a hard-charging Central Columbia High running back, dropping him at the line of scrimmage.

“That’s a big-time play, Coach,” Cook said, nodding over at Colin Lopez, the Hokies’ defensive coordinator.

“What does it say that boy can run?” Lopez asked.

“Four-six,” said Cook. “He’s quick for his size, that’s for sure. Says here he’s almost 240.”

Lopez, the youngest of the three coaches, grinned broadly. “I’ve seen enough. Let’s get Haines here for a visit.”

Cook liked the idea. “While we’re at it, let’s invite Jake Doty that week, too. I understand Haines and Doty are good friends. If we could get both those guys…”

Week Fifteen, 2006

Fall came early to central Pennsylvania this year, and on this early November evening, the temperature had already dropped to 44 degrees by seven o’clock. Tonight was Senior Night at Lewisburg Area High School, time for Green Dragon fans to say goodbye to the three best players they’d ever seen in a single graduating class.

The ritual was the same as it had been for years, the same as it was on countless other campuses across the nation. As the public address announcer introduced each senior, he walked from the sidelines onto the field, where he met his parents. He gave his mother a single white carnation, a hug, and a kiss, and he either shook hands with his father or exchanged a hug with him, too.

“Number sixty-eight…captain…Nate Ward!” said the announcer, who taught American history at LAHS.

Nate grinned as he walked onto the field with his dad and step-mom, Bob and Nancy Ward. Bob was a police officer, and Nancy was a dental hygienist. Nate’s eleven-year-old step-brother Eric, wearing a green T-shirt with his brother’s number, looked admiringly up at Nate.

“Number forty-four…captain…Pete Haines!”

Limping slightly from a twisted ankle he’d suffered the week before against Bloomsburg, Pete nevertheless smiled brightly as he and his parents took their places beside the Wards. Pete’s father Jim was an attorney; his mother Pam was a homemaker. Pete was the youngest of four children, and the second boy to play football for LAHS.

“Number eight…captain…Jake Doty!”

The crowd gave the quarterback the biggest ovation they’d produced yet. That was understandable, because Jake Doty was arguably the best football player Lewisburg had ever seen. He had already broken the Green Dragons’ single-season and career records for passing yardage and completions, and if he threw two touchdown passes tonight, his totals of 27 for the season and 57 for his career would be the highest in school history.

Ken Doty had played quarterback for Lewisburg Area High, too, but he admitted he hadn’t been “half as good as Jake.” After finishing college and pharmacy school, he’d married his high school sweetheart, Tracy, and come back home. Tracy Doty taught fifth grade at Kelly Elementary School. The Dotys’ daughter, Corinne, was a LAHS sophomore and a varsity cheerleader.

In the stands, a white-haired man wearing a green windbreaker over a thick wool sweater applauded the Green Dragon seniors. His name was John Kearns, and he had seen almost every Lewisburg home game for almost half a century. “I missed one in 1973, but that was the first one I’d missed since 1957. I’ve been to every one since.”

He didn’t hesitate when he was asked about this year’s senior class. “Best one I’ve seen,” he said. “It’s not just Jake Doty, either, even though he’s the best player we’ve ever had here. Pete Haines is the best linebacker to come through here in 20, 25 years. And that big Ward boy—Nate, that’s his name—he’ll make a fine college player, too.

“It’s not often you see three boys who will play college ball in one high school class, at least not around here.”

Final high school statistics:

QB Jake Doty: 59% completion percentage, 3713 yards, 28 touchdown passes, 14 interceptions, 390 rushing yards.

ILB Pete Haines: 86 tackles, 11 tackles for losses, 5 sacks, 7 passes defended, 3 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles.

OG Nate Ward: No statistics given. (I wish BBCF would give blocking stats for O-line recruits.)

2006-2007 Postseason, Week Eight

It was Thursday night, and Jake Doty, Pete Haines, and Nate Ward sat together in the booth at the Pizza Hut in Lewisburg. This weekly ritual had begun sometime last winter, and as the three friends neared the end of their high school days, they had come to value it even more. “We know there’s not much chance we’ll end up at the same school next year,” said Pete.

Jake would most certainly have the most options. He honestly couldn’t tell you how many offers he’d received. Every big-time football school in the country would love to sign him.

Nate and Pete were trying to get their friend to tell them which schools were tops on his list. “Come on,” Nate urged. “Tell us your top three.”

Jake sighed. “Don’t say anything to anybody,” he said.

“We swear.”

“Right now, it would be Virginia Tech, Boston College, and Maryland,” Jake replied.

“No way,” said Pete. “I figured you’d say Penn State, Ohio State, LSU, schools like that.”

Jake shook his head. “Honestly, I didn’t like Ohio State all that much. LSU seems a long way away, and they’ve got William Gordon,” The Tigers’ QB was only a freshman, and he was one of the best quarterbacks in the nation.

“I’d go to Penn State if they offered me,” said Pete. “Right now I wish I had a firm offer from anybody.”

“You’ll get one.” Nate took a long sip of his drink. “I’ll get one too, but I doubt it will be the one I want.”

“You’d still like to go to Virginia, wouldn’t you?” Jake asked him.

“Yeah. I really liked it there.”

“They’ve looked at all three of us pretty thoroughly,” Pete pointed out. “How cool would it be for us all to end up there?”

Great read keep it coming :)

Thanks for the compliments. It's good to see that Jake, Pete, and Nate have picked up at least one faithful fan. :)

Postseason Week Thirteen, 2006-2007

Johnny Gamble was the quintessential Southern gentleman. His easy smile and courtly manners charmed the mothers of high school football players across the nation, and his firm handshake and the way he looked a man straight in the eye when he spoke to him impressed their fathers just as much.

Tonight Coach Gamble, clad in a sharp-looking navy-and-orange University of Virginia football jacket, sat on the sofa in the cozy living room of the Ward family. Across the room, Nate Ward sat on the edge of his chair, taking in every word Coach Gamble said. He was nervous, but he sat up straight, and he looked.

Nate’s mother, Nancy, stood behind him, resting her hand lovingly on her son’s massive shoulder. His father, Bob, sat in another chair nearby.

“Nate, I’ve been following you all season long, and our staff and I really like what we’ve seen,” Coach Gamble said. “We brought you down to Charlottesville for a reason. We wanted you to see what our program and our university are all about. We hope you liked what you saw, too.”

Nate swallowed hard. “Yes, sir,” he replied.

Coach Gamble smiled. “I’ll be honest with you, Nate, like always. We want to bring in four offensive linemen this year, but we haven’t offered a scholarship to a guard.” He paused, smiling as charmingly as he could.

“Not until right now.”

Nancy Ward gripped her son’s shoulder tightly. Her husband rose from his chair, looking proudly over at his son.

“You’ll almost certainly have to redshirt a year, but that’s pretty much the rule for offensive linemen in our program,” Coach Gamble continued. Nate couldn’t say a word; he merely nodded his agreement.

“Nate, I’d like to offer you a full football scholarship to the University of Virginia.” Coach Gamble extended his hand. Nate got up from his chair and extended his, and the two men shook hands. Then his mother hugged him, and so did his dad. Coach Gamble presented Nate with a navy-and-orange Virginia cap, which Nate proudly placed on his head.

That night in his room, Nate Ward lay in bed, looking up at his ceiling. He smiled, and a single tear ran down his cheek.

I did it, he thought. I’m going to one of the best schools in the country, and I’m going to play football.

Postseason Week Fifteen, 2006-2007

Lewisburg Area High School had never seen anything like it. The ESPN truck had been parked in the lot beside the gymnasium for an hour now, and technicians were bustling in and out with their equipment. In just a few moments, the “worldwide leader in sports” would be on the air, live, from the LAHS gym!

A table was set up in front of the bleachers, and upon the table were three baseball caps. One bore the logo of the Virginia Cavaliers. Another carried the maroon-and-gold emblem of Boston College. The third featured the bold “VT” of Virginia Tech in maroon and orange.

In the bleachers, an assortment of Lewisburg Area High students, all wearing green and white, were gathered. The varsity cheerleaders, the pep band, and the Green Dragon mascot were prominently placed within the ESPN camera’s range.

The star of the show sat behind the table. Jake Doty wore a shirt and tie beneath his Lewisburg Area letter jacket. His attire, combined with his close-cropped light brown hair, green eyes, and clean-cut features , made him look exactly like the quintessential All-American Boy he was.

Promptly at noon, ESPN began broadcasting live from Lewisburg. For about a minute, two College GameDay anchors set the stage, while clips of Jake throwing a touchdown pass and scrambling for a long gain rolled in the background.

Then the camera switched to the table, zooming in on Jake Doty's face. Jake took a deep breath, smiled, and began to speak.

"First of all, I want to thank all the coaches who recruited me over the last few months. I had no idea picking a school would be such a tough decision.

"I also want to thank my coaches and teachers here at Lewisburg Area High for always standing by me and supporting me. You've given me lots of great advice. Coach Young, I can't thank you enough."

Ron Young, the head football coach at LAHS, nodded and smiled as the crowd of students behind him cheered loudly.

"And most of all, I want to thank my family for everything they've done. Mom and Dad and Corinne, you're the best."

The camera found the Dotys, standing at their son's right shoulder. Ken and Tracy smiled nervously. They knew which school Jake had picked; very few other people did.

Jake took another deep breath. "Well, now it's time for me to let you know what I've decided." He smiled, looked straight into the camera, and selected the Virginia Tech cap. As he placed it on his head, flashes popped all around him, and another loud cheer rose from the bleachers.

Nate Ward, wearing his Virginia cap, grinned and applauded along with the rest. "Jake told me he was picking Virginia Tech, and we talked about it last night. Yeah, it would have been great to play on the same team with him in college, too, but Jake has a chance to compete for the starting job at Tech right away. We've got a quarterback with the same kinds of skills Jake has in Curtis Littlefield, and he's just a sophomore. Tech will be a better fit for Jake, honestly.

In the bleachers directly behind the Dotys stood Pete Haines, wearing his green #44 game jersey. Surprisingly, Haines had not yet received an offer from a Division I school. "Lots of coaches have talked to me, and I've felt a couple of times like I was about to get an offer. Nothing's happened yet, though," Pete said.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting nervous about it. I'm thinking about a few other options now; maybe Division I-AA, maybe even Division II.

"Maybe I'll get an offer from one of those Virginia schools. They're arch-rivals, you know. Nate and Jake won't ever be on the field at the same time, since they both play offense. That's not the case with me. I'd get to hit them.

"That might be kinda fun," Pete said with a grin.

Preseason Week Seventeen, 2006-2007

Pete Haines knew this wouldn't be an easy conversation to have, but he knew what he needed to do. Anyone who knew Pete well knew he was the kind of young man who told things like they were, a quality few seventeen-year-olds possessed.

In the week after his buddy Jake Doty committed to Virginia Tech in an ESPN-televised ceremony, Pete received two scholarship offers. One came from the University of Virginia, where his other buddy, Nate Ward, had already decided to play next year. The other came from Pitt, and that's what created Pete's dilemma.

Pete had always liked the Panthers. He had relatives in Pittsburgh, and two of his older cousins were enrolled there now. "I've been to the Pitt campus a bunch of times," he explained. "I've always felt comfortable there."

Had Penn State made Pete an offer, he admitted he would have accepted it without a second thought. "What linebacker wouldn't want to play at Penn State?" he asked, a grin on his face. The Nittany Lions had shown some interest, but they'd signed three linebackers already, two of whom were five-star talents. Realistically, Pete wouldn't have had much of a shot at a starting job for PSU, at least not anytime soon.

Nate was understandably thrilled to learn that UVA had offered Pete a scholarship, too. Pete was just as excited about the possibility of being his friend's teammate for at least four more years, and he came very close to giving the Cavaliers an immediate "yes." Something in the back of his mind held him back, however, so he decided to think about it a little bit longer.

The answer came to Pete late one night as he was finishing up some physics homework. He really didn't want to leave the state of Pennsylvania. He had friends and relatives at Pitt, and his family could easily watch him play. But, before he gave the Panthers his answer, he had one more thing to do.

He wanted to tell Nate about his decision first.

Now the two young men were sitting at a table in a Wendy's restaurant, devouring hamburgers, fries, and Frosties. Pete finally took a deep breath and explained his choice to Nate.

"Sure, I was kinda disappointed," Nate said later. "It would have been cool to be Pete's teammate, but I totally understand why he picked Pitt. He can probably get playing time there his freshman year. Besides, it would have been weird for us to be on the same team, with Jake on another one. This way, all three of us have gone our own way."

Jake, Nate, and Pete had all made their decisions. Now, it was time to see what the consequences of their decisions would be.

Loving this and can't wait to see how the players turn out.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, chris. I'm looking forward to seeing how their careers shape up, too.

Gameplay note: I took over the Virginia program before the recruiting season began. I recruited all three of our featured players, and I offered all three of them scholarships. Obviously, Nate was the only one to accept the Cavs' offer. It might have been cool to have them all play for the same college team, but I didn't want to force an outcome, and the way it turned out will be fun, too.

Here's a quick look at the programs each of our stars will be joining for the 2007 season.

The Virginia Cavaliers experienced a significant amount of success in 2006. They completed the season with a 9-3 record, finishing 5-3 in a tough ACC race. and a national #14 ranking. They capped off their season with a 48-13 pasting of Cincinnati in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. Coach Johnny Gamble led the Cavs to an above-average prestige rating of 60.

When he reaches Charlottesville, Nate Ward will fall under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Benjamin Gibson. Coach Gibson graduated from Iowa, and at age 50 is beginning his first season on the staff of a Division I school. Coach Gibson prefers a Vertical offense, which would require Nate to sharpen his pass blocking skills. Unfortunately, Coach Gibson might not be much help to Nate. His talent for Developing Offensive Linemen is a mediocre Orange, as is his knack for Motivation. He's a little better at developing an Offensive Gameplan, earning a Yellow rating.

Down in Blacksburg, Virginia Tech Hokies fans were honestly disappointed with the way the 2006 season turned out. A 7-5 record and a 4-4 mark in ACC play isn't considered acceptable by most Tech backers, who are used to seeing their beloved Hokies on top. Coach Tom Cook did, however, quiet some critics by beating Virginia in their annual rivalry game, and by beating Marshall, 30-21, in the Liberty Bowl. The Hokies are still among the most prestigious teams in college football, however, with a prestige score of 70.

The Hokies' offensive coordinator, Armand Black, is one of the best in the business, and Jake Doty is lucky to be under his guidance. A graduate of Florida Atlantic, Coach Black, 49, is a master of Motivation and developing an Offensive Gameplan, earning Blue ratings in both categories. Coach Black prefers a Balanced offense, which should enable Jake to display his skills as a passer and a runner. And, with a Green rating for Developing Quarterbacks, Coach Black should be able to help Jake reach his considerable potential. Coach Black shaped the Hokies' passing game into the fourth most productive in all of Division I in 2006.

The Pittsburgh Panthers finished their regular season with a 6-5 record, barely good enough to squeak into the Insight Bowl. The Panthers lost there to UCLA, 37-17. Still, the Panthers, their fans, and their coach, Jerome Martel, believe they can contend for a Big East title in 2007, after going 5-2 in conference play last year. Pitt fans would love their team's prestige to rise from its current level, a high-average score of 58.

Pete Haines will be working most closely with the Panthers' defensive coordinator, Chase Smith. Coach Smith, age 48, is new to the Pitt program; he spent 2006 as the defensive coordinator for Washington. There, he led the Huskies to a middle-of-the pack ranking in most defensive categories. He prefers to run the 4-2-5 defense (which isn't a good thing for linebackers, like Pete, who would like to get on the field). Coach Smith is rated Green for Motivation and Defensive Gameplan, and he scores Yellow for Developing Linebackers.

Ironically, Coach Smith is a graduate of the University of Virginia. :)

Here's a quick statistical profile of each of our three featured players as they make the transition from high school to college ball:

[b]PLAYER         POS    HT   WT   DESCRIPTION   40   VERT   SQ   BP   GPA   SAT[/b]
Jake Doty      QB    6'1"  196  Mobile       4.48  29.4"  462  224  3.2  1300
Pete Haines    ILB   6'0"  241  Run Stopper  4.57  34.5"  560  343  3.8  1230
Nate Ward      OG    6'1"  298  Balanced     4.94  33.3"  565  386  2.2  1310

All three players seem to be better-than-average athletes for their positions. Pete, in particular, seems like a potential impact athlete-in-the-making, strong, quick, and agile.

None of them should have any problems adjusting to the speed of the college game. Jake and Pete are the quickest players among the top recruits at their positions, and Nate can move well for a big man.

Pete's a bit of an overachiever in the classroom; his board score is solid, but his high school grades were superlative. Nate, on the other hand, is far more intelligent than his marginal GPA would indicate. Jake is certainly bright enough to master the Hokies' offense, able to win a game with sharp decision-making as well as with his physical tools.

Training Camp, 2007

All football players, regardless of position, possess certain physical, mental, and emotional characteristics that form the foundation of their ability to perform on the field.

As Jake Doty, Pete Haines, and Nate Ward report for the first pre-season of their college football careers, let's take a look at how they measure up in a number of these characteristics:

[b]PLAYER        AD   DI   DU   EN   IQ   WE   AX   AG   AI   IN   SP   ST[/b]
Jake Doty     65   59   69   69   81   84   53   47   36   75   63   37   
Pete Haines   74   73   76   44   85   83   31   58   41   73   50   46
Nate Ward     58   95   56   78   49   45   31   42   42   56   35   57

AD=Adaptability; DI=Discipline; DU=Durability; EN=Endurance; IQ=Intelligence; 
WE=Work Ethic; AX=Acceleration; AG=Aggression; AI=Agility; IN=Instincts; SP=Speed; ST=Strength.

In most categories, our three featured players earn at least average ratings. Jake and Pete are, as their grades would imply, considerably more Intelligent than Nate is, and despite Nate's phenomenal Discipline, his mediocre Work Ethic is a little bit alarming. Nor is Nate a terribly Instinctive player. Pete's low Endurance makes me wonder if he'll be able to handle the responsibility of being an every-down LB, but Nate, on the other hand, seems to be an iron man. Will Jake be hampered by his lack of top-quality Discipline? I'd think you would want your field general to rate higher in this area than Jake does.

I'm surprised that none of the three are more Agile than they are. Not surprisingly, Nate is very Strong, while Jake has exceptional Speed for a quarterback.

Week One, 2007

The first weekend of the 2007 college football season is here, and our three featured players have just completed preseason practice. Let's take a look at what Jake, Pete, and Nate might expect during their freshman years.

Nate Ward, as expected, will be among 13 players who are redshirting this season for the Virginia Cavaliers. Nate appears content with his fate, however. He's been given uniform #62.

Six guards are currently on the Cavs' active roster. The best of them is redshirt sophomore Louie Day, a 6'2", 313-pound mauler from Anacostia High School in Washington, D.C. The other projected starter is redshirt junior Gilbert Jackson (6'0", 291), a product of McLean (Virginia) High School.

Day (5/8) is expected to be a fixture on the UVA offensive line for years, while Jackson (4/5) is being pushed by senior Ted Skinner (3/5). Skinner's main problem appears to be a lack of conditioning; he's carrying about 15 pounds more than he should be. Massive redshirt freshman Gerald Buck (6'7", 298, 2/5) is listed as the third-stringer at both guard spots, with walk-on sophomore James Walsh (6'4", 269, 1/2) also available.

Nate's overall rating (2) would indicate that Coach Gamble made the right choice when he handed him a redshirt. His potential rating (6) seems to bode well for his future prospects; he's the second-most promising player at his position in the program.

At Pitt, Pete Haines is listed as the second-string middle linebacker. Unfortunately, he's playing behind another true freshman, Frank Barnes, who came out of high school as the #9 ILB in the nation. Barnes (6'0", 240, 4/9), is a fearsome pass rusher and a sure tackler.

What's more frustrating is the fact that the Panthers run a 4-2-5 defense. As long as they keep the 4-2-5 as their base defensive set, it might be hard for Pete to get on the field. Terry Preston (6'1", 232, 7/7), , a senior who made third team All-Big East last season, will be the other starter at LB, and he's a good one.

I'm not sure why the Panthers staff isn't using Pete on special teams. He's considerably more athletic and aggressive than several of the players who are listed on the Pitt special teams squad.

Pete has been given uniform #57, and his current rating is 3. His potential rating of 6 would indicate he has the potential to play a lot as a sophomore, if not this year. None of the other linebackers on the Panthers roster appear good enough to challenge for a starting position, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Jake Doty, who wears #12 for the Virginia Tech Hokies, is currently fighting for the quarterback position with returning starter Charles Ball. Ball, a 6'1", 200-pound senior from Harrisville, Rhode Island, started all 12 games for the Hokies in 2006. He completed 204 of 368 passes (54.9%), throwing for 2259 yards and 13 touchdowns. Ball (8/8) is a classic dropback passer who lacks mobility; he was sacked 35 times last year. His arm is better than average, and he is regarded as one of the smartest, most reliable quarterbacks in the nation. He threw only six interceptions last year.

Ball will be hard to unseat, but Doty has the potential for true greatness. His overall rating is already an 8, and he has the potential to evolve into a "perfect" 10. I wouldn't be surprised if Tech coach Tom Cook finds a way to get Jake on the field fairly soon and fairly often.

Week 1, 2007

All players have skill ratings that reflect their ability to perform the tasks that are unique to their position and role. Where do each of our three players stand as they begin their collegiate careers? Here you'll see each player's current and potential ratings in each of their position-relevant skills.

Nate Ward

[b]SKILL          CUR  POT[/b]
Pass Block      59   64
Run Block       61   68
Long Snapping   80   89

Based on these ratings and the current Cavalier roster, it looks like Nate will challenge for a starting position as early as next season. He has the potential to be the best long snapper in the program, too.

Pete Haines

[b]SKILL            CUR  POT[/b]
Pass Rush Moves   60   65
Point of Attack   59   67
Hands             52   61
Tackling          60   74
Coverage          61   65

The Panthers undoubtedly view Pete as a future starter. He's as talented as any of the linebackers on their current roster, with the exception of blue-chip prospect Frank Barnes. Pete and Frank could form a fine duo for the Panthers in the years to come.

Jake Doty

[b]SKILL             CUR  POT[/b]
Arm Strength       71   85
Passing Accuracy   80   98
Passing Touch      71   89
Running            43   48
Hands              24   26

As good as he is now, Jake has the potential to become one of the best quarterbacks in the country. All-American status, a Davey O'Brien Award, or even a Heisman Trophy could come his way before his career as a Hokie comes to a close.

Week One, 2007

Virginia and Virginia Tech both open their seasons during Week Two, so only Pete Haines' Pitt Panthers were in action during the opening week of the 2007 college football season.

The Panthers traveled down to Florida Atlantic, where they trounced the Owls, 31-7. Pitt's defense swarmed all over their hosts, holding them to 64 yards on the ground and only eight first downs.

Strangely, neither of Pitt's freshman linebackers played a down from scrimmage. Redshirt sophomore Kyle Barber (6'2", 224, 3/6) got lots of playing time and looked good, getting in on seven tackles and recording a sack. Junior Cruz Pearson (5'11", 237, 4/6) also made the most of his opportunities, with six tackles, a sack, and a TFL. And, as expected, senior Terry Preston was all over the field, racking up nine stops, a sack, and a TFL, and hurrying the FAU passer twice. Meanwhile, Frank Barnes played only on special teams, and Pete Haines didn't get in the game at all.

Pete called Nate after the game, expressing his frustration. "I'm doing everything they're asking me to do, and I'm not getting a chance to play," he said. "Now I'm fourth on the (expletive deleted) depth chart. If I'd known this was gonna happen, I'd have begged them to redshirt me."

Week Two, 2007

This week was one Jake Doty will always remember, and one Pete Haines would just as soon forget.

Before the Hokies' season opener at UCLA, Coach Tom Cook announced that Jake would be his starting quarterback. "Jake has earned the job," Coach Cook told the press. "I'm not taking anything away from Charles Ball, but there are things Jake can do for us that give our offense an extra dimension."

Jake threw his first collegiate pass on his very first play from scrimmage. With the Hokies trailing, 3-0, he attempted to hit junior wideout Terrence Smith, but Bruins cornerback Dennis Rios knocked the ball away.

On the next play, Jake connected with classmate Art Lancaster for a 23-yard gain and a first down--the first completion of his career.

The Hokies ended up throwing the ball a lot, as they fell behind 20-3 during the second quarter. With just over four minutes tp play in the first half, Jake led the Hokies launched a twelve-play drive that culminated in a three-yard TD pass to RB Brent Yates. Jake connected on all six of his passes during the drive. He hooked up with Terrence Smith on an out pattern that Smith turned into a 46-yard gain.

Early in the third quarter, Jake hit Smith with an eight-yard TD pass to bring the Hokies within three. He also displayed his inexperience later that quarter. Tech was inside the red zone again, facing third-and-goal from the Bruins 8. Jake forced a pass into tight coverage and Rios picked it off, costing the Hokies a chance to take the lead.

Jake was intercepted deep in Bruins territory again in the fourth quarter, which allowed the Bruins to run out the clock and secure a 26-20 victory. "I'm mad at myself for throwing those picks," Jake said after the game. "If I'm more careful, we win the game."

Tom Cook was far more pleased with Jake's performance. "Here's a true freshman, making his first start against a tough team on the road. There are almost 100,000 fans in the stands, and the game's on TV. I think Jake did just fine. We could have protected him better, for one thing."

Jake finished the day with 23 completions in 41 attempts, good for 331 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. The 46-yard completion to Smith was his longest of the day. He was sacked six times, rushed three times for three yards, and lost one fumble. One great pass was balanced out by one bad one. Jake's performance earned him a quarterback rating of 130.3.

Meanwhile, Pitt narrowly escaped an upset at the hands of Louisiana-Lafayette, winning 13-10 on a 28-yard field goal by Scott Wheeler. Pete Haines didn't appear in this game, either, while fellow freshman Frank Barnes started and led the team with nine tackles, two TFL, and a sack.

Pete's frustration continued to eat at him all week long. "I'm really happy for Jake, but I confess I wish I was getting a chance to show what I can do, too."

Virginia won its season opener in fine fashion, whomping Connecticut 44-18.

Week Three, 2007

A large, enthusiastic crowd filled Virginia Tech's Lane Stadium to watch the Hokies take on the #7 Texas Longhorns during Week Three. They were treated to a thrilling game, but unfortunately their Hokies came up just short, losing 34-31.

Tech fell behind early, but three second-quarter scores propelled them to a 24-17 halftime lead. The first Hokie touchdown came on a 34-yard scoring strike from Jake Doty to junior wideout Colin Edwards.

"Colin ran a deep out, and got great separation from the guy covering him. I spotted him and made the throw, and Colin did the rest. He made one tackler miss and took it into the end zone," Jake explained.

With 6:20 remaining, Jake found Colin for a 7-yard TD pass, their second connection of the game, giving the Hokies a 31-24 lead. Unfortunately, the Hokie defense failed to hold the lead, and with 44 seconds remaining, Longhorn quarterback Rob Russell threw a 28-yard, game-winning touchdown strike to Philip King.

Throwing into the teeth of the tenacious Longhorn defense, Jake managed to complete 16 of 30 passes for 246 yards. He threw only one interception, and his O-line did a much better job protecting him; he was sacked only once. Jake's passer rating came out at 137.5.

Pitt moved to 3-0 with a 44-18 victory over North Carolina at home. Once again, Pete Haines didn't receive any playing time, but his mood improved considerably. His morale improved from "Frustrated" to "Unsure."

Nate Ward's Virginia Cavaliers also remained unbeaten, trouncing Hawaii 52-13.

Week Four, 2007

The Virginia Tech Hokies won their ACC opener against N.C. State, but they had to do it without much contribution from their starting quarterback.

Jake Doty left the game midway through the first quarter with a hyperextended elbow, and did not return to the game. Senior Charles Ball completed 27 of 40 passes for 378 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Hokies to a 34-27 victory over the Wolfpack.

Before Jake's injury, he completed three of five passes for 37 yards, and he was sacked once.

"I hurt my elbow when I was sacked," Jake explained. "Their big defensive end [6'8", 267-pound Sean Inman] hit me, and when I went down, I felt my arm bend back. I tried to stay in, but after I threw a pass, I realized my arm hurt worse than I thought."

Jake is listed as "probable" for the Hokies' next game, and at worst, he'll be out of action for two weeks.

Pete Haines and his Pitt Panthers were idle, preparing for next week's Big East opener against Louisville.

Virginia continued to roll, winning their third straight game with ease. This time their victim was ACC foe Georgia Tech, whom they pounded 44-17. The Cavs feature the fifth-best offense in all of Division One, but they have yet to take their high-scoring show on the road. They face a far tougher test next week when #20 Boston College comes to Charlottesville.

The Cavaliers made their first appearance in the national polls, ending the week ranked #25 by the media and #21 in the initial GDCS survey. According to the computer, however, the Cavs are the best team in the land.

Week Five, 2007

Jake Doty's elbow hurt before the Virginia Tech Hokies' game against Georgia Tech, but the freshman quarterback wasn't going to let that stand in his way.

He completed 16 of 28 passes for 337 yards and three touchdowns, leading the Hokies to a 58-31 romp over the Yellow Jackets in Atlanta. Brent Yates added 136 yards on the ground and rushed for three TDs as the Hokies evened their record at 2-2.

Jake hit his favorite target, Terrence Smith, for a four-yard TD in the second quarter. On the Hokies' first possession of the second half, he combined with WR Pasquale Ragsdale on a 59-yard pass-and-run play. Later in the quarter, Jake connected with Smith for another long scoring strike, this time for 68 yards. Terrence finished the game with five catches for 138 yards.

Undefeated Pitt whomped Louisville 46-3 to open their Big East season. Nearly 60,000 Panther fans watched senior quarterback Jason Terry shred the Cardinals for 400 yards and four touchdowns, and Pitt outgained their opponents 663-236.

Again, Pete Haines failed to figure in the outcome of the game at all. (I find it impossible to believe that, in a game that lopsided, he wouldn't have played. If a defensive player doesn't do anything that produces a statistic--a tackle, a defended pass, a hurry--BBCF doesn't give him credit for a game played.)

Pete found it hard to believe the Panthers weren't getting more love from those who vote in the various polls. "We got 44 points in the last media poll," he said, shaking his head. "I know we're better than that. Hopefully we can keep winning and show everybody what kind of team we really are." Winning seemed to agree with Pete, whose mood was now "Content."

Virginia's hopes for an unbeaten season came to an abrupt halt, as #20 Boston College routed them, 52-3. The Cavaliers dropped out of the media Top 25, but they held onto a #24 ranking in the coaches' poll and a #13 position in the computer rankings.

Week Five, 2007

I thought it was probably time to see how our players are doing in their studies, since academic suspension lists will be released again next week.

Jake Doty certainly doesn't have to worry about sitting out because of his grades. His 3.97 GPA is just about as good as it gets, and he is the top student in the Virginia Tech football program.

Pete Haines might not be getting onto the football field, but he's certainly making his presence felt in the classroom. His 3.89 GPA is fhe fifth highest on the team, and second best in his class (freshman punter David Cook carries a perfect 4.0).

Nate Ward, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be spending much time in the library. His 2.01 GPA is the eighth worst among Virginia gridders.

Week Five, 2007

While I'm at it, I'll give you an update on our players' skill development, and I'll post Jake's cumulative stats for the season.

Nate Ward's rating for Run Blocking went up a point to 62/68, while his Long Snapping ability increased two points (82/89). His Pass Blocking ability remained unchanged (59/64). Nate tipped the scales at 298 pounds, well under his ideal weight of 317. His overall and potential ratings have not changed this year (2/6).

Pete Haines bulked up three more pounds; he now weighs 244, and his coaches would like to eventually see him play at 252. His Pass Rush Moves improved one point (61/65), as did his Point of Attack skills (60/67) and his Hands (53/61). His Coverage skills remained the same (61/65), but his Tackling improved two points (62/74). Pete's coaches believe he's both a better and more promising player than they did at the beginning of the season (4/7).

Jake Doty's Arm Strength is unchanged (71/85), but his other skills improved sharply since the season opened. His Passing Accuracy is up three points (83/98), and so is his Passing Touch (74/98). He's a slightly more dangerous Runner, up one to 44/48. His Hands (24/26) are unchanged. Jake weighs 196 pounds, slightly under his ideal weight of 204. Jake's overall rating remains at 8, his potential rating at 10.

In four games, Jake has completed 58 of 104 pass attempts (55.8%). He has thrown for 951 yards, averaging 9.1 yards per attempt. He has thrown seven TD passes and four interceptions.

Jake has been sacked eight times, and he's thrown two great passes and one bad one. His passer rating is 147.1.

Archived