The Must Read List 2009

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debated whether or not to do this, as if kinda feels self-serving. But moreso, it feels wrong not to acknowledge the uh, acknowledgement that I've received. Its awesome to not just have Gen-S mentioned so many times, but with some very kind words as well. The fact that some of its comes from some of my favorite writers on here makes it just that much better. Thanks everyone.

*fist bump*

I will start by nominating two diaries as they are the only two diaries I have ever got in to. I only read WWE diaries as I can't get in to the Cornellverse and I plain don't like TNA and know nothing about the ROH's of this world.

In no particular order......

Keefmoon's WWF - From Montreal To Attitude.

IMac's WWE - The Next Generation.

Keefs writing style is brilliant and he adds a bit of everything in to every show, and captured that era of the WWF/E superbly. He and this diary are what I am hoping to emulate with my own diary, and if I can pull it off to just a tenth of what keef did with this diary, I'll be a happy man.

IMac is also a very good writer, and unfortunately it appears that TNG is no more. Everything he did was believable and he did a great job of making Kenny Dykstra believable as a rising star.

Again, if I can come close with my WWE diary to what IMac did with his, I will have no complaints.

Bump.

Can't let y'all forget about this thread. BUMP!

see now that just seems pushy. :p

When I'm the last to bump, I delete my last bump and then create a new one.

That way I can be pushy, but not seem to be. :D

you also can learn to disguise a bump. as say a random post about some one else's bump.

see now that just seems pushy. :p

When I'm the last to bump, I delete my last bump and then create a new one.

That way I can be pushy, but not seem to be. :D

you also can learn to disguise a bump. as say a random post about some one else's bump.

Clever ;)

1) [thread=19457]Welcome...to the Coastal Zone! - Infinitywpi[/thread] (closed)

This is not the diary that got me into reading diaries. That honor goes to a .400 studios diary by Infinity called Welcome to the real World. (that so totally deserves to be seen again.) No this is the diary the convinced me I could write a diary. not that mine would be as good as his, but that some time greatness was in the details. And I could control the details. My hats off to the whole series, but my vote to the 07 edition

2) [thread=15014]ECW: World Wide: Nevermore[/thread] (open)

This is the diary that most inspired my first real diary attempt. This is a diary that I started reading Friday afternoon and did nothing else until I had finished it 20+ hours latter. This is what wrestling is, engrossing, unadulterated soap opera at it's finest.

3) [thread=21524]USPW: Where Ages 65 and Older Get in For Free - J-Silver[/thread] (open)

The Funniest Piece of writing on these boards except for maybe Jonny_Awesome's BSC diary that lasted all of 1 show. that diary would be on my list but I simply did not have enough room. J draws you in with hilarity, then hooks you with a story that servers both as a back drop, and an excuse for many of the funniest as well as finest moments in the Cornelverse Cannon

4) [thread=34293]WWE: Aftermath -- One Year Later - Infinitywpi[/thread] (closed)

Short lived but worth a look, what would happen if E suddenly had no super stars? could the Under card really rise to the occasion of would it fall flat on it's face? This diary was an intriguing look at what a real world tragedy could look like.

5) [thread=26405]The New NWA - Dse81[/thread] (open)

This is the diary I read the most often. DSE is probably the most consistent poster ever. I like his version of the NWA, and watching him over come the repeated drama's of brock lesnar is worth the price of admission. (sounds like real life
:)
)

6) [thread=47363]MDC2: The Battle Rages On [Over 9000-verse] - D_W_W[/thread] (open)

one of the greatest pieces of creative writing anywhere on these boards. Marvel should hire this man to write their next cross over, it might be good for a change!

7) [thread=34251]EWA: Why No One Cares About Wrestling In Europe [/thread] (closed)

Never got into part 2, but the intro alone to part 1 is worth the read. come see how you end up a booker for the EWA!

8) [thread=55126]WCW 1999: We Three Kings - BoomKing[/thread] (open)

This is a classic WCW diary in the making. I know Tristam will appear on this list several times, but boom king also deserves massive props for his vision of WCW

9) [thread=29565]When Writers Strike: NBC wrestling - Mistaken[/thread] (closed)

This was an attempt to make good on the '07 writers strike. I really like where this diary went, and it is still my intention to return to this diary one day and at the very least finish out through the next PPV.

10) [thread=23973]Days in the Life - Confessions of a Triple 'A' Worker (Cornellverse) - NordVolf[/thread] (closed)

Why NordVolf you ask? this guy hung out down in the 07 forum when every one else had left for the green pastures of the 08 forum. This is one of the longest running and best written attempts at a cornelverse womens feed. It was between this and Shimmer diary that went 3 shows. I felt Nords track record had to win out!

WEEE, the other part of the diary!

Part of me always wants to go back to my roots and do things more how I did them back then. Which, really, would just mean less attention to the angles I don't care for as much.

Question:

how many people are there who still intend on replying but haven't? or plan on refining or rearranging their entry?

I have no problem letting this stew for a month, it just seems to have trickled off. If people need or want the additional month. That fine. But if not, no reason to let this set for a month being bumped every few days instead of compiling the results and getting them posted.

I'm still planning to get a list up. Work has been so heavy lately its been tough just keeping up with my own dynasty but I would like to contribute to this. Hopefully I can get it done sometime next week because I haven't fully caught up on some of the longer threads, but I wouldn't need until the end of the month. But also, please don't feel like you have to wait for me, especially if there's no one else left to submit.

1. Wildfire1324's National Wrestling Alliance: A Return to Glory & NWA: Beyond The Glory (open)

-I grouped these two together, since BTG is a direct continuation of RTG. Simply put, Wildfire's NWA is the reason I started writing my diary to begin with. He has had the most captivating storylines and feuds I have seen (or read, I guess) on here, and every single one of his PPVs has that "special" feel to it. Wildfire's the flagship of real-world diaries as far as I'm concerned (no offense to others, namely Nevermore, who is great in his own right.) He deserves a high ranking on this list, and a spot in the Hall of Fame as well.

2. Self's Cverse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom (open)

-I haven't gotten into too many Cverse diaries thus far (something I'm going to try and change when 2010 comes out), but one diary that has really managed to suck me in is Self's. There's just something in his presentation, both with his writing and his graphics, that has really hooked me. I've been a lurker, mainly due to my unfamiliarity with the Cverse, but that doesn't mean I haven't really enjoyed the ride so far.

3. theoutlaw321's Battle lines have been drawn.What if the NWA struck first.... (closed)

-I wasn't around while this diary was still going, but I've become a huge fan anyways. The intro to this story may be my favorite of any I have read so far.

4. dse81's The New NWA (open)

-What can I say...I'm a sucker for NWA diaries. dse does a great job of writing and presenting something that really feels like a true alternative to WWE. I love the balance between serious feuds and comedy (hooray for Tony Carelli on commentary!) I also like the emphasis he places on his tag team division. It's not at all uncommon for the World Tag Team title match to headline his PPVs, which I find quite interesting.

5. keefmoon's World Wrestling Federation: From Montreal To Attitude (closed)

-The second diary I became hooked on, after Wildfire. keef took a great jumping off point (the Montreal Screwjob) and went from there. His shows were very good, and I thought he did a great job of recreating that Attitude-era feel. Plus, he made Owen Hart a major player. Gotta love that.

6. iMac's WWE: The Next Generation (closed)

-I have little to no interest in reading a diary about modern WWE, which makes iMac's appearance on my list all the more improbable. I don't know what it is, but his take on it just works. Much more interesting than the real-life WWE product, IMO.

7. Oldschool's WWWF: Re-writing History: No Hulk/No Vince (D.O.T.T) (open)

-Oldschool does a TREMENDOUS job at recreating this era. If you enjoyed wrestling back in these days, this is an absolute must-read. It's interesting to see how things are going without the Hulkster and Vinnie Mac around to completely change the landscape of the promotion.

8. Nevermore's ECW Worldwide (open)

-Technically, he's past the point of being considered "closed", but I think we all know he's going to pop in again at some point, so I put him under "open." Many consider this the best rw diary, if not the best overall diary. I'm not THAT big a fan of it, but I still recognize it as great. Nevermore really does tell quite an engaging story, and his Burchill/Raven showdown had a truly epic feel to it. Many diaries have a few strong months before fizzling out, but Worldwide has hung strong for well over three years. Very impressive.

9. BoomKing's The Kid and The Business (closed)

-It didn't last very long, but during its run, this may have been second only to Wildfire for me. The events happening behind the scenes were infinitely more interesting than the things happening in the ring, which made this really unique. Very, very good. The only reason it is at #9 and not much, MUCH higher is the lack of staying power.

I'm drawing a blank on #10. I'll leave it empty for now, and if I come up with something later, I'll come back in and edit it in.

<p>1 - <strong>Wildfire1324's</strong> <em>NWA: Beyond the Glory</em> (Open)</p><p>

Wildfire's writing is always great, and the Mr Wrestling myster will always keep me hooked.</p><p> </p><p>

2 - <strong>Wildfire1324's</strong> <em>National Wrestling Alliance: A Return to Glory</em> (Closed)</p><p>

This is the dynasty that inspired mine, and will always be one of my favorites.</p><p> </p><p>

3 - <strong>JSilver's</strong> <em>USPW: Where Ages 65 and Older Get In For Free</em> (Open?)</p><p>

The funniest dynasty on here. One day, I'll try and do something half this funny, but twice as active lol.</p><p> </p><p>

4 - <strong>Nevermore's</strong> <em>ECW: Worldwide</em> (Open)</p><p>

Nevermore is a great writer, and always puts on engaging shows.</p><p> </p><p>

5 - <strong>IMac's</strong> <em>WWE: The Next Generation</em> (Closed)</p><p>

This is my favorite WWE dynasty ever. I usually don't read many WWE dynasties, but IMac made it original enough to get my attention.</p><p> </p><p>

6 - <strong>The Final Countdown's</strong> <em>ROH: We Don't Imitate... We Innovate</em> (Open)</p><p>

This is a top-notch dynasty, and because I don't know much about ROH at this time, I find it very interesting to read.</p><p> </p><p>

7 - <strong>DWW's</strong> <em>MCD2: The Battle Rages On</em> (Open)</p><p>

Probably the most original dynasty on here. Period. Nothing has a presentation like this one.</p><p> </p><p>

8 - <strong>Boomking's</strong> <em>The Kid and The Business</em> (Closed)</p><p>

The Kid was awesome! It's too bad this dynasty didn't last longer.</p><p> </p><p>

9 - <strong>G-Prime's</strong> <em>WWE: Rebirth</em> (Closed)</p><p>

Like with IMac's above, this is a WWE dynasty that was different enough from the real world to make it interesting.</p><p> </p><p>

10 - <strong>Tristam's</strong> <em>Death of WCW </em>(Closed)</p><p>

I never read this until after it was closed, but it was great to see a WCW dynasty from a great time period.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dse81" data-cite="dse81" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24853" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> 9 - <strong>G-Prime's</strong> <em>WWE: Rebirth</em> (Closed)</p><p> Like with IMac's above, this is a WWE dynasty that was different enough from the real world to make it interesting.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks dude.</p>

1. C-verse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom (open)

Simply put, my favourite read on the forum. Self captures the WWF Attitude era feel better than any other diary I've seen, including ones directly linked to Attitude, and it was Attitude and a little bit of Guerrero, Benoit and Booker T on WCW Worldwide that made me a fan.

2. Mark Cuban Does DaVE! (closed)

One of the diaries that turned readers into writers. Simple, effective, and while as a Brit I have only the vaguest idea who Cuban is, I can see him perfectly. I still reread occasionally.

3. Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society 2.0 (open)

In many ways, what's fascinating is the way Tigerkinney preserves a continuity of feel throughout - this is a promotion which hasn't changed abruptly, it's evolved gradually, and so a virtually entirely different main event scene, radically different stables, and close to total absence of talentless big lunks still seems like FCW. At the same time, it's been gripping.

4. Generations (closed)

The simplest thing I can say is that digging up the URL to vote for this has caused me to decide to reread it. Right now.

5. EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For it (open)

Sometimes, you just need a good laugh. And you'll get one.

6. SWF: Generation Supreme (closed)

Money.

7. ECW Worldwide (open)

Though I'll be honest; I'm glad Raven's made the way clear for others to step up to the top.

8. Subscribe to the ROF Newsletter (closed)

Revolutionary in presentation and for many, I suspect, the thing that made them actually look at the UK C-Verse.

9. TCW: Total Control (open)

Ah, yes, the 'competition', which is really a skewed way of looking at it. Zeel's taking TCW in a new direction in many ways, but he's doing it well and in the spirit of the company.

10. Days in the Life: Confessions of a Triple 'A' Worker (Cornellverse) (closed)

The other mega-mouthful diary on my list. As far from kayfabe as you get, this one was played from a very interesting angle and injected a lot of life into AAA's roster...

9. TCW: Total Control (open)

Ah, yes, the 'competition', which is really a skewed way of looking at it. Zeel's taking TCW in a new direction in many ways, but he's doing it well and in the spirit of the company.

Well I really much appreciate the compliments, PS. And as for "spirit of the company", some were a little surprised by certain aspects of the shows, and I think the reason for that is that I at times look closer to the "Updated" part of the "Tradition Updated" product. I just truly like the idea of Tradition Updated, as it would essentially mean that you keep the values of yesteryear, straying away from it being cartoony like SWF sometimes appear, and yet keeping it at the general good vs. evil morality story. And it also means that it allows more modern wrestling elements into it, which could easily be represented simply by having hardcore, high-flying and the occassional puroresu workers, in the company, which make for quite the varied roster. Most of that, in a nutshell, is why TCW's my favorite, because that's kind of how I like it to be - it strays away from silly/offensive segments, yet allows the occassional comic relief, (ie. New Age Party Crashers) and pretty much every match is differant than the one that came before it.

I've done very little tinkering with the product - in fact, as far as I know, the only differance I've made is lowering the TV match ratio to 80%. Match-heavy as I prefer shows to be, when you're trying to build to PPV's that showcase 6-8 matches on average, 90% TV match ratio just isn't that flexible for me.. :p

Alright, here's my list... Apologies to the many great and well respected c-verse diary writers, but I've mainly followed real world's and this list in petty indicative of that.... Not to mention that the real world certainly needs some extra love in comparison to all the c-verse diaries that are running away with the "must read list"

1. Wildfire1324: NWA Return to Glory: Hands down the best writer im my opinion... Everytime I come on these boards and see an update in a Wildfire diary, I get as excited as I did as a kid, when Wrestlemania was about to come on... I give Return to Glory the nod over beyond glory because of his start up process, Steve Corino lead extreme horsemen, as well the challenges put in front of him as a new company and the development of Mr. Wrestling III character among others... I concur with Final Countdown in that he should be in the hall-of-fame and hopefully he recieves this well-deserved honor next year...

2. Wildfire1324: NWA Beyond Glory: The sequal has continued the storyline and character development of the great Mr. Wrestling III... We have also seen the American Dragon Bryan Danielson's ascension as new NWA champion... Bigger name signings as The NWA is now on the same level as the NWA... The Illuminati as much as they p!ss me off and the hype and formation of one of the greatest stables ever existed... Now if he would just get back to posting shows!

3. theoutlaw321's: the Battle line's have been drawn, what if the NWA struck first: The list must be looking strangely like The Final Countdown's list but got to agre 100% with him on some of his calls... My favorite scenerios are NWA coming back to life and what ifthe NWA beat out the WWF back in the 80's... Obviously I'm a fan of oldschool wrestling and this DOTT set the bar as far as I'm concerned

4. Nevermore's: ECW World Wide: The real ECW brough me back into wrestling during the 90's... and Nevermore's accomplishments do not need to boasted about.... His Novemeber to Remember's are just threw the roof... The Raven character, Paul Burchill, Would we really care about Vito Thomaselli in any diary or real life wrestling event... We do here... My secret guilty pleasure is the new 2nd generation Dudley's.... Hall-of-famer for a reason...

5. G-Prime's: WWE Rebirth: I've always found it difficult to follow more than one of the same type of diary as I begin to confuse them and mix storylines together... Back in G-Prime's prime his WWE was the one I followed religiously, bringing in new talent, thus keeping it somewhat different than the actual WWE (better than the actual WWE).... Its the what I want to see from a WWE dynasty and that one that gives pushes to the wrestlers us smarks want to see pushed..

6. The Final Countdown: We dont immitate...We Innovate: ROH is the best thing goingin todays product... Ive several, actually many ROH diaries come and go, but this one takes us back to beginning of ROH days.... Great easy to read presentations... Logical booking... Yet we always have to remember that we are in the ROH's infacy and not present time as wrestlers develope... The real life ROH is as solid as any product in the business, but its still nice to see subtle little twists that Final Countdown brings to the product

7. dse81: The New NWA: this is the exception to my rule in that I only follow one diary of the same premise at a time.... Although I may be wildfire's biggest fan, dse81's NWA is a completely different NWA compared to wildfire, that it makes following so eay... Very easy to follow along...and talk about consistancy... Tops in that category as far as I'm concerned... great subtle differences with some of the character's name changes and development... JR Superstar, Joey Mainstream, Tony Carelli... The Tagteam cominations also great... Did I mention his consistancy

8. Tristam: The Death of WCW: His original diary was one of the first that I ever had followed since joining these boards a few years back.... I think I even remembershedding a tear as this one came to an end... It was like the last episode of Mash... In which the peoples of these boards all felt decimated as it ended... No need to go into tristams accomplishments as his 800 times DOTM wins and Hall-of-fame status speaks for itself...

9. The Stallion: TNA The Unkown Future: This was my TNA diary that I got into a few years back it was one of the first diaries I followed along with and The Stallion was one of my favorite writers back in the day... TNA had guys like American Dragon, Alex Shelley, Lo Ki, basically all the top X-division guys... pretty much a sentimental choice, as I said was one of the first writers I got to a following... I think he shipped of in the Navy and haven't seen a dyansty from him in a couple of years...

10. Olympia: DOTT MID-SOUTH (The Watts Way): This one is still in its infancy, but I got to give some love to my fellow DOTT brother out there... I guess as far as DOTT goes you either love it or hate, because either you weren't around then or have preconcieved notions of who should be pushed and how... Mid South The Watts Way, is certainly a trip down memory lane, a history lesson in its self.... Very quick and easy read of one of the greatest territories of all time... the promo's are quick to the point, but you certainly can envision that wrestler he's writing for doing the talking... Like I said thisis still a newbie and rookie Diary eligible, do yourself a favor and give it a look, if you feel like getting nostalgiac

5. G-Prime's: WWE Rebirth: I've always found it difficult to follow more than one of the same type of diary as I begin to confuse them and mix storylines together... Back in G-Prime's prime his WWE was the one I followed religiously, bringing in new talent, thus keeping it somewhat different than the actual WWE (better than the actual WWE).... Its the what I want to see from a WWE dynasty and that one that gives pushes to the wrestlers us smarks want to see pushed..

Thanks man.

Also: BUMP!

Archived