The Must Read List 2009

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the ones in my subscribed threads list:

Active:

Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society: Version 2.0 (Cornellverse) by Tigerkinney - he's in the HoF for a reason.

SWF: Generation Supreme by Bigpapa42 - if you're here right now, you've heard of his thread.

Inactive:

CGC: "That's Entertainment", The DeColt Tragedy by FINisher - first and only CGC diary I've read. Nice to read the family feud playing out.

SWF: Entertainment For The Masses by derek_b - great characterization on most of the roster

Pittsburgh Steel Wrestling: DaVE's not here by McShamrock - many likened him to Monkeypox in disguise. Short read but should be considered a must if you plan on doing PSW :D

Championship Wrestling from Boston (C-Verse '07 Diary) by Shipshirt - Shipshirt was (is?) an awesome diary writer from the '05 / '07 era. Watch him take a tiny fed to the top! (not really, but he does a fabulous job with limited resources)

Generations (C-Verse) - by Wallbanger which still has the best love story and probably one of the more intriguing "out of the ring" stories I've read on the forums.

Here's the ones in my subscribed threads list:

Active:

Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society: Version 2.0 (Cornellverse) by Tigerkinney - he's in the HoF for a reason.

SWF: Generation Supreme by Bigpapa42 - if you're here right now, you've heard of his thread.

Inactive:

CGC: "That's Entertainment", The DeColt Tragedy by FINisher - first and only CGC diary I've read. Nice to read the family feud playing out.

SWF: Entertainment For The Masses by derek_b - great characterization on most of the roster

Pittsburgh Steel Wrestling: DaVE's not here by McShamrock - many likened him to Monkeypox in disguise. Short read but should be considered a must if you plan on doing PSW :D

Championship Wrestling from Boston (C-Verse '07 Diary) by Shipshirt - Shipshirt was (is?) an awesome diary writer from the '05 / '07 era. Watch him take a tiny fed to the top! (not really, but he does a fabulous job with limited resources)

Generations (C-Verse) - by Wallbanger which still has the best love story and probably one of the more intriguing "out of the ring" stories I've read on the forums.

cool I need numbers though. :D (so I can properly compile the final list)

Thank you very much. That diary had huge potential but it just faded out for some reason, I'm so darn inconsistent in diaries, always starting new diaries when I get a new idea for a promotion :( A clean-cut sports entertainment isn't my thing in terms of me being happy writing it, so to speak. In the end that was the only time I ever won the DOTM Cornellverse poll but even that was mainly about the recognition that I had gotten from making alts in the end as the diary was rather new then. Still, good times.

Bump. get your votes in soon. the end of the month is coming. (toll a bell for emphasis) the end of the month is coming.

Make sure you have ranked your picks so I don't have to guess. ;)

Also, some have left them half-finished still, probably forgotten. (FIN..I'm looking at you.. :p)

This was a lot harder than I thought. It's also funny counting Generation Supreme as "open" eventhough it just ended. Oh well.

1. SWF: Generation Supreme (Bigpapa42, open)

2. Generations (Wallbanger, closed)

3. MAW: Back to Basics (shipshirt, closed)

4. Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society 2.0 (Tigerkinney, open)

5. PSW: The Evolution of Greed (Eisen-verse, open)

6. PPPW: Dangerous Dreams (Phantom Stranger, closed)

7. MAW: 10 Simple Rules (James Casey, open)

8. TCW: A Quiet Retirement (Phantom Stranger, open)

9. Championship Wrestling from Boston (Shipshirt, closed)

10. New York City Wrestling: Tradition Begins Anew (Brifidelity, closed)

Okay now this list will not have any closed diaries as I have not been reading diaries all that long, in fact I am not sure I can even muster up ten picks. However, here is my list:

1. PSW: The Evolution of Greed (Eisen-verse, open): To me this diary takes the C-verse and makes it seem like it is a real life promotion. Eisen is a great writer and he always put out top quality shows.

2. USPW: Long Hard Road From Cult (angeldelayette, open): I know a lot of the other posters have given angeldelayette a hard time in the past due to him starting up so many diaries. Well I don't think they will bother him anymore because this diary is really great and has had staying power! Angeldelayette is a machine, updating this diary nearly every other day with a new show! And the thing is there is never a drop off in quality, each show is great! The humor is great, the match write-ups are great (they are short and sweet and to the point), and the format is so easy to read. Also, any diary that can make me care about Anger is a great diary!

3. SWF: Generation Supreme (Bigpapa42, open): This probably should be my lone closed diary on the list even though it was never offically closed. Anyway, what can be said about this diary that has not already been said? It was a great read and it was the main reason why I got interested in reading diaries.

4. WWWF: Re-writing History: No Hulk/No Vince (D.O.T.T) (Oldschool,open): I am not a huge fan of real world diaries even though there are a lot of good ones on this board. However, Oldschool to me perfectly nails the feel of wrestling during this time period. Granted this era was about three years before I started to watch wrestling, but the way Oldschool writes the shows just takes me back to when I first started to watch wrestling.

5. XWA: American Wrestling Just Got Serious (Marcel Fromage, Open): Just for the way this diary is presented alone is reason enough to make this list. However, then you add on Marcel's interaction with his readers and that makes for a great diary.

Delighted and a little humbled to have been given a couple of mentions! It makes me want to get my BWA diary running again! Was the most fun I have had playing TEW and probablythe most fun I have had on these boards. The Clash of the titans things was awesome too. Getting to work with arguably two of the forums best diary writers was amazing especially seeing as they are both such great guys.

61 total diaries nominated,

First place currently has 117 point, a 27 point margin over 2nd.

While 2nd to 3rd is 4 point margin. 3rd to 4rth is a 24 point margin.

That just tells you that 1st place out scored 4rth almost 2 to one.

There are still time to get your votes in!

(there are 28 voters counted, one still under inquiry)

I haven't read a huge amount of diaries here mainly because i've been inactive for long periods of time, but i'll nominate some that I have really enjoyed.

1. ECW Worldwide - Nevermore (Open, I think)

The pinacle of diary writing. Everything is so well thought out and hugely creative and the fact it has lasted for over three years shows just how popular it is.

2. World Wrestling Federation: From Montreal to Attitude - Keefmoon (Open once again! :D)

Just wow. Keef does everything brilliantly. He's created brand new stars throughout the diary (not just huge stars in the current E aswell) and everybody has their part to play. Again, just like Nevermore every little detail is very well thought out and executed to perfection.

3. WCW: Prequel to the Death of WCW - Tristram (Open)

Unfortunately I wasn't around to follow his original and I even had to catch up to start to follow this one, but I am extremely glad I did. This man is the promo master and with his Bret Hart/Chris Jericho match he showed he can rival anybody on the forums in terms of macth writeups aswell.

4. MAW: 10 simple rules - James Casey (Open)

I'm not a huge fan of cornellverse diaries, but this one is simply sensational. Just like Tristrams I had to catch up with his work, but again it was really worth it and I'm enjoying reading if from time to time now.

5. WWE: Rebirth - G-Prime (Closed :()

This was different to every other WWE attempt because big stars had left and G Prime had to work back up to the top which he did brilliantly. Edge was superb throughout and I thought G Prime did an amazing job booking him and others as he secured the future of WWE. Would be brilliant to see this return.

really want this to be 100 strong, currently 61 diaries.

open to 39 suggestions to fill out the remaining slot, open or closed makes no difference. order will be first come first serve.

Of course any new top 10 list would still receive standard ranking and might reduce the number of openings.

1.NWA:Georgia Championship Wrestling.... Territorial Resurgenece

2.NWA:Mid Atlantic....Territorial Resurgenenece

I don't know if those 2 are there but both deserve a play just for the build up alone.

3.TNA - No Limitations "Goodbye Russo" by Togg

4.WWE 2006: New Year, New Stars, New Beginnings by jw_forever

Both of these are underappreciated diaries but both are very solid.

5.WCW 1999: We Three Kings by BoomKing

Solid diary

better late than never?

1) WWWF: Re-writing History: No Hulk/No Vince (D.O.T.T) - Oldschool

amazing job of capturing the feel. He maintains historical accuracy with the jobber tv shows and super cards at Madison Square Garden. It's like stepping back into history when you read these.

2) Ring of Honor-We Don't Imitate...We Innovate (2002) - FinalCountdown

I don't get to follow ROH much in real life, but am becoming a fan just from reading this diary.

3) TNA's New Beginnings - Nobby_McDonald

interesting read. Certainally not the same old "been there, done that" that we often get in these. His early struggles with money and being a few months from bankruptcy - but he turned around at the last minute - got me involved. Developing new stars that are rising to the forefront (like Mystery). Guys are getting a chance to shine that do not in the real TNA, so that keeps things fresh!

4) ECW Worldwide - Nevermore

Another diary that totally captures the feel of the moment. Some days you think Paul E is helping him book (or wonder if maybe Nevermore was the true genius behind Paul E's promotion)

5) WCW 1999: We Three Kings - BoomKing

good cards, nice twists, and some humor around the team of Bagwell & Jindrak and their tag team name.

some of the other diaries that I liked have dropped off (only show 6 pages now dating to 10/31 - is there a way to see the inactive ones?). So honorable mention to the ICW DOTT diary. He ventured into a territory not many knew about or would dare attempt....and was doing a fine job until it ended.

And thanks to those who mentioned my Mid-South diary. The Watts Way is my first attempt on here, so I'm glad a few folks find it enjoyable (and educational)

Archived