Sean O'Haire sucked....

MrCanada

Now, PLEASE read my post before just jumping down my throat.

Firstly, I used to be a huge fan of this guy. I used to think he was going to be huge. He had this crazy look and did some awesome moves. Seanton Bomb was awesome, he was very intense, Cruel Intentions was a huge looking, unique, move. I remember a issue of WWE Magazine I got when the WCW Invasion had just started, it had a pic of O'Haire & Palumbo in the Ross Report and O'Haire had this crazy spiked hair, I thought that alone was good enough to make him a star.

But how many people actually watched this guy wrestle? Like, more then a handful of matches? Go on youtube right now and watch his stuff. I admit his "I'm not telling you anything you didnt already know." gimmick was unique and awesome, but Max Moon was a unique gimmick too... maybe not awesome.

But if you watch his matches he's BRUTAL! He's either too stiff, not stiff enough, botched stuff by falling, or gassed out early. I remember I turned against him completely during his run with Piper. And I think thats when the WWE realized he was worthless too. He couldnt wrestler a 6 minute squash on Velocity, a show I watched religiously.

Anyhow I just think he was overhyped. He was basically a modern-looking equivalent to Goldberg if you ask me. Acrazy intense monster, but not a giant. With a couple really cool moves, Seanton Bomb = Jack Hammer, Cruel Intentions = Spear.

EDIT: Youtube links

O'Haire vs. Bradshaw (might be his first WWE match)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZCdQYnTTPU

-watch how he moves around the ring... very goldberg-esque. Sells the DDT just like a lot of the rushed guys in the Power Plant do. Whether he punches or kicks he kind of flails his body all awkward. Uses stupid kung-fu kicks, much like Goldberg would try to do, and O'Haire's looks just as bad. His pins even look stupid.

O'Haire vs. Ken Anderson

-This match really shows a future star. Watch it. Ken Anderson will impress you. O'Haire shows he cant sell, and at this point (near the end of his WWE run) he cant claim being green anymore. And he cant sell a spin kick? About half way through the match, you see O'Haire get flustered, confused, and a little gassed. He seems like he has NO clue what to do. He's already done his 'big spots' for the match.

O'Haire vs. Rikishi

-Great example of O'Haire's even worse "5 moves of doom" three matches in and he's so far done The Cruel Intentions, a clothesline... and... uhm. A thrown scoop slam? Who else does moves just like that? Cena! Also notice how tired he is and how he doesnt sell. Just pops up and moves spot to spot.

Sean O'Haire ain't no Brock Lesnar either. But Brock has his flaws...WrestleMania 19 shooting star press and breaking poor ole Bobby Holly's neck. Otherwise, forget the flaws, Brock was a million bucks. His push in the WWE was much faster than WCW push of Goldberg. Less than six months after Brock debut with the WWE, he wins the Undisputed title from The Rock. Goldberg had the streak and it took him a year until he took the belt off of Hogan. Sean O'Haire, on the other hand, had the look but never came close to the Brock and Goldberg connection.

I think you're off in your interpretation of O'Haire's selling of the spin kick in his match against Ken Anderson. He ducks it the first time, showing that he's quick for a guy his size, and the second time he takes the blow to the head but doesn't sell it in a typical fashion because he's a badass. Watch the rest of the match and you'll see that Anderson never takes him off his feet. That's a booking thing, not an "I don't know how to wrestle" thing. Granted, a quarter of that match was spent on a chin lock.

I'm not sure this really needed a thread? I mean I'm sure you could pick 20-30 names, go back and watch them on youtube and come to the consensus that 50% of them sucked. At the time he suspended belief (which is the art of wrestling) purely due to his menancing look. Ergo, he did his job. Perhaps the points you provide are the reason he was largely confined to the tag division with Palumbo and Jindrak, either way I enjoyed his work. I'm sure you could go back and look at the likes of Bad News Brown and find faults with his technical workmanship but to paraphrase Dusty Rhodes "brother I am bad and they know I'm bad."

This is another match off youtube, I don't know, maybe you would grade it too stiff or too soft, I would just label it a reasonable match with some good spots that he worked with a very good and underrated wrestler, who, unlike O'Haire never really had the look to go anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWk9IvbXIM

-Great example of O'Haire's even worse "5 moves of doom" three matches in and he's so far done The Cruel Intentions, a clothesline... and... uhm. A thrown scoop slam? Who else does moves just like that? Cena! Also notice how tired he is and how he doesnt sell. Just pops up and moves spot to spot.

I don't know how true it is, but I remember perhaps the biggest draw of them all, Hulk Hogan, summise that you could do a lot with a little. Comparable guys of the time in WCW like Kevin Nash and Bill Goldberg certainly didn't use a lot of moves. Heck, you could probably even look at a Bret Hart match and say there's a usual sequence towards the Sharpshooter. Even Sting. Ric Flair made a living off the nose flop, the low blow, the reverse knife edge chop, someone vertical suplexing him and holding him up high for a minute and the figure four. Sean's not there to sell himself as a mat technician, someone who can do a suicide plancha, he's there to look to be a bad mutha heel.

I look forward to your take on the rest of the WCW roster, by your definition there can't be a single good one amongst them, as every wrestler has their faults, surely?

Alright...I know this is just a internet forum, so I've got.to.control.the.raggegeegeasdasdggasd....asd gg....

First off, you rightly mention O'Haire's many posistives. Awesome Gimmick (God, when it first came out even Raven must have gotten up and started clapping), his Awesome move and his awesome look. Correct-ish so far.

Then you move on to his "negatives". You say he was too much like Goldberg, one of the biggest stars in wrestling in the last 20 years and had a religious like following in WCW...where Sean was aiming to be employed. So, as DDP would put it, that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing. And secondly it makes sense as Goldberg and O'Haire were/are friends, with Goldberg being influential in O'haire being called up from the Power Plant. So why the hell wouldn't his wrestling be influenced by his friend and megastar? Or even why shouldn't it?

Secondly I watched all 3 matches...they almost have the opposite effect on your argument.

First match: Quite liked the pace in this to start, just saying. Your problem: Too Goldberg. Well we've discussed that. Second problem is how he sold the DDT, i.e. Bending down with legs rigid rather then falling down. I refer to this a the Bastista sell because it's (in)famously how Bastista takes a RKO. When you're as tall as O'Haire its almost instinct to do that plus it's actually safer too. I also don't mind it too much. Hell, it how Rock sells a Stunner? So why the hell can't O'Haire do it?

Second match: LOL@Anderson. I don't know how without the benefit of hindsight he comes off like a star in this one? He's fine or whatever...he get's one move: That spinkick, which BTW showed how quick O'Haire was to protect himself by blocking it hitting his face, which is smart. And halfway thru...that'd be 2 minutes, he's not gassed. It's called brooding, showing your thinking about what you;re going to do to the opponent, or is that too much character depth for you. Anyways it's not a match killer since he's only does it for 5 seconds.

3rd match: He's too much like the biggest star of the 21st Century John Cena...:rolleyes:

P.S. Roddy Piper killed O'Haire's gimmick, then the WWE creative team buried it when piper left.

Yes, O'Haire was green. Soooooo what, exactly? He had scary athleticism for a guy his size, and while he came in a little lanky and not quite the type of move-set WWE likes in its bigs (why on earth should a heavyweight HEEL be doing senton bombs?), there was no reason he couldn't have developed into a strong part of the roster.

Plus, some of your arguments are just dumb. He sold the DDT the way Power Plant guys did. So what? He never had any great matches. So what? He had been in the company what, almost one year and had one feud with anyone over the midcard?

Plus, District 9 was a great movie.

Edit: The Celt makes a good point. That match with Bradshaw was actually really solid. And I'm not a fan of Bradshaw at all! Good finish, good TV match. How it helps your argument that O'Haire sucks is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

For lack of a better word, DUH!

Am I missing something here? In the last 5 years, has anybody said Sean O'Hiare didn't suck? Has anybody even talked about Sean O'Haire in the last 5 years? There's a reason he was out of the wrestling business before his 35th birthday. And it wasn't because he outgrew it. I actually had to watch one of those matches to make sure I was thinking of the right guy...and I wasn't, I was thinking of Shawn Stasiak. But that's ok, because they both sucked. At least Stasiak had an entertaining promo with Rock and Stacy Keibler on SD! once. Has Sean O'Haire entertained anybody, anywhere, ever? Even once?

You make it sound like you're talking about Ricky Steamboat or something. Of course Sean O'Haire sucked. What's next, a thread on why it was a mistake giving David Arquette the WCW title?

For lack of a better word, DUH!

Am I missing something here? In the last 5 years, has anybody said Sean O'Hiare didn't suck? Has anybody even talked about Sean O'Haire in the last 5 years? There's a reason he was out of the wrestling business before his 35th birthday. And it wasn't because he outgrew it. I actually had to watch one of those matches to make sure I was thinking of the right guy...and I wasn't, I was thinking of Shawn Stasiak. But that's ok, because they both sucked. At least Stasiak had an entertaining promo with Rock and Stacy Keibler on SD! once. Has Sean O'Haire entertained anybody, anywhere, ever? Even once?

You make it sound like you're talking about Ricky Steamboat or something. Of course Sean O'Haire sucked. What's next, a thread on why it was a mistake giving David Arquette the WCW title?

I'll put my hand up. I liked O'Haire. He had genuine menace and a future within WCW's framework. Retrospectively of course there's going to be sentiment against a wrestler who never made it, but at the time he was doing some very very good work within WCW. Youtube only has a few of his matches, but to be fair a lost of his tag matches were very good and enjoyable.

hmm PWI making him rookie of the year of 2000 means a lot of people didn't think he sucked or that at the very least he had a lot of potential. I liked him and I liked his promo's WWE just buried his ass.

I'm really confused. I check the wikipedia on Sean O'Haire. It states the following:

O'Haire's new persona was abandoned but he held victories over Rikishi, Funaki, Mr. America (Hulk Hogan), Chris Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero.[13] WWE officially released Piper from his contract on June 26, 2003, right after O'Haire and Piper made their last appearance together on SmackDown!.[15] O'Haire was left to fend for himself and spent the majority of the rest of 2003 in matches on Velocity, dominating anyone in his path until early December.

At that time, O'Haire was involved in a motorcycle accident which required stitches and kept him out of action for the next month or so. When he recovered in February 2004, he was sent back to OVW and despite never being pinned on WWE television, he was released on April 3, 200

He held victories over Rikishi. Mr. America. Chris Benoit. Eddie Guerrero. He was never pinned on WWE television. And WWE buried him? I'm thinking of buried as something like getting handed/beatdown in the ring say what Russo did to Hogan at that PPV in 2000. They took him off television. Like they haven't done that to people before. Yet, TNA never picked him up. Why? Because they didn't see nothing special about him just like the WWE.

I must be 1 of the few that liked him, heck, whether playing a historical or modern day TEW mod he is 1 of the people that I go out and hire every time.

He was big, he had menace and was athletic and damn he did a swanton bomb! People are amazed when Jeff Hardy does it so what the hell about when this guy does it? People would go nuts if Batista did a swanton.... Is this just WCW-haters/WWE/F Fanbois dissing yet another WCW project?

Admittedly his singles work was never the greatest but I think given the opportunity he would have grown, but his tag work was awesome! Him and O'Haire along with Kronik were pretty much the only reason I watched WCW a lot of the time in the latter days.

I'm really confused. I check the wikipedia on Sean O'Haire. It states the following:

He held victories over Rikishi. Mr. America. Chris Benoit. Eddie Guerrero. He was never pinned on WWE television. And WWE buried him? I'm thinking of buried as something like getting handed/beatdown in the ring say what Russo did to Hogan at that PPV in 2000. They took him off television. Like they haven't done that to people before. Yet, TNA never picked him up. Why? Because they didn't see nothing special about him just like the WWE.

Buried in the way that as soon as piper left he was off tv. There is more ways then one to bury a guy. It wasn't total job out burial. Plus he was buried during his first run on main wwe tv during the invasion.

I'll put my hand up. I liked O'Haire. He had genuine menace and a future within WCW's framework. Retrospectively of course there's going to be sentiment against a wrestler who never made it, but at the time he was doing some very very good work within WCW. Youtube only has a few of his matches, but to be fair a lost of his tag matches were very good and enjoyable.

I also liked O'Haire. The problem wasn't so much his skills or looks, but his behavior; he liked to pick fights. A lot of people in the WWE liked Sean O'Haire's style, and that he brought what was necessary for the WWE, but, at that point, they had a zero-tolerance policy on most legal issues and to misbehavior for most superstars. That's why O'Haire isn't with the WWE today.

As why he didn't go back, there's many reasons. First, O'Haire would have needed to change his behavior. Second, he would have to deal with a hectic road schedule again. Two things that really impede him.

Remember, Chris Masters was only one year away from the WWE. And they quickly rehired the Boogeyman after his first release (not his second).

I also liked O'Haire. The problem wasn't so much his skills or looks, but his behavior; he liked to pick fights. A lot of people in the WWE liked Sean O'Haire's style, and that he brought what was necessary for the WWE, but, at that point, they had a zero-tolerance policy on most legal issues and to misbehavior for most superstars. That's why O'Haire isn't with the WWE today.

Yeah, O'Haire has a lust for getting into violence-related legal trouble - be it a bar fight or domestic violence, he just seem to love it.

O'Haire vs. Bradshaw (might be his first WWE match)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZCdQYnTTPU

-watch how he moves around the ring... very goldberg-esque. Sells the DDT just like a lot of the rushed guys in the Power Plant do. Whether he punches or kicks he kind of flails his body all awkward. Uses stupid kung-fu kicks, much like Goldberg would try to do, and O'Haire's looks just as bad. His pins even look stupid.

Perfectly acceptable match. Nothing wrong with how he sold the DDT, it was just a bit different. Kung Fu kicks are hit & miss in wrestling, it really depends how they're sold. Fun TV match in which two big guys are trying to beat each other up. **

O'Haire vs. Ken Anderson

-This match really shows a future star. Watch it. Ken Anderson will impress you. O'Haire shows he cant sell, and at this point (near the end of his WWE run) he cant claim being green anymore. And he cant sell a spin kick? About half way through the match, you see O'Haire get flustered, confused, and a little gassed. He seems like he has NO clue what to do. He's already done his 'big spots' for the match.

Perfectly acceptable extended squash. Nothing wrong with how he sold the spin kick. At all. Great intensity. Rightly no-sold stuff. Believable bad ass. Kennedy did his job. **

O'Haire vs. Rikishi

Perfectly acceptable match. Not exactly PPV calibre, but no worse than the undercard of some of the recent WWE shows. Rikishi's size limits what O'Haire can do Power Wise... but only slightly. **

I'm struggling to see the problem here. He wasn't exactly Kurt Angle, but great look, great power, impressive moves, if the cards had been dealt a little different, he could have been a major name.

Sound like a real tough guy...shame that this is what happens when you hit him back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Rc7p-utuY&feature=fvw

Damn, that Butterbean is SCARY...! :eek:

But the ring announcer for that event was horribly annoying... omfg.

He doesn't look like much of a fighter in either match, in spiste of his otherwise impressive enough size.

Sean O'Haire ain't no Brock Lesnar either. But Brock has his flaws...WrestleMania 19 shooting star press and breaking poor ole Bobby Holly's neck.

Wasn't Holly the one who sand-bagged him into botching the move?

Anyway, as for O'Haire, he simply was potential which had to be worked upon and harvested upon. Kind of like Kennedy. Entertaining gimmick, bit out of the norm, but in the ring simply a bit of scraps to pick up. But I don't think he's as bad as you make it out to be.

i liked him and remember he only debuted in like late 99 early 2000 so for a guy with what 3/4 years under his belt it aint all bad i mean it took mvp years of working with better workers in wwe to get him to where he is to day.

bad ass heels tend not to sell much look back at the animal yer ok slightly better in ring then he was but lets face it the kennedy match is a basic batista match form his evolution days.

if it wasn't for his legal crap im pretty sure wwe would have kept him around. he could do some impressive stuff for a big guy and had a fanstic look. but then dont that go for most of the big bad ass heels hell?

i think handled right he could have been a player may not a major one but thats just my view and when im playing mods from that time i often sign/push him just coz i dug his look/gimick.

and if copying goldberg is bad then how come he was one of the biggist stars around in the 90's. remember goldberg was feed too like all of them have to be. does that make them bad workers? no coz he was beliveable, he was just delt a bad hand on the piper thing and couldnt keep his ass out of trouble

Archived