TEW2010 Developer's Journal Discussion

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see Master Kitozon Dojo for say CV '75, but wouldn't BHOTWG's dojo be named after the developmental territory--with the territory being more of a promotion-branch of it? I mean "dojo" is right in the promotion's name.

On that same note, do you guys think promotions can form from dojos? Similar to Toryumon Mexico/Japan...or in some similar way CZW (formed out of Zandig and some students basically). Of course I would think it'd occur out of unaffiliated dojos.

Now I'm at home...

There are 21 dojos in the default '08 CVerse. 3 of those are closed

• Cornell Family Home (TCW)
  • USPW Training Camp
  • Preston Holt Dojo (unaffiliated)

Of the 18 remaining, the following are logically tied to promotions:

• 5 Star Supreme
  • AAA Cat's Lair
  • Coastal Resort (CZCW)
  • Combat Academy (4C)
  • Decolt Power House (CGC)
  • Golden Dojo (GCG)
  • Hinote Dojo
  • House of Stone (NOTBPW)
  • Mid Atlantic Boot Camp (MAW)
  • National School of Wrestling (21CW)
  • PGHW Dojo
  • Project Arkham (WLW)
  • Supreme Wrestling University (SWF)
  • TCW School of Pro Wrestling
  • Turnbuckle Wrestling Dojo (ROF)

The following are active and unaffiliated:

• Ling School
  • Piledriver School
  • Tokyo Wrestling School

I can't wait to see how dojos affect the game. I know in '07, I signed almost everyone who graduated from the Piledriver School. I look forward to finding out how dojos are funded. Presumably SWF can spend big to get the best prospects from Supreme U, while CZCW and MAW will have lesser prospects coming through. MAW may benefit from having Rip as head trainer (presumably). I'm also interested in seeing whether roster members can be set as trainers - maybe for an additional fee, or to work on ring rust or whatever...

Might even warrant expansion. Maybe give the C-Verse some real world equivalent schools/dojos. Like, who would be the C-Verse's Killer Kowalski or Johnny Rodz? Or just bring entire schools in wholesale (Squared Circle Training, Storm Wrestling Academy, etc).

Hmmmm......

Yes! Now dojos are exactly like wrestling camps in real life! When I first got TEW08, that's what I though it was going to be like, but then I found out that dojos have no effect on the game at all. I was really disappointed because I thought that it more potential then that. Now this makes it so the dojos have a huge effect on the game! This makes me a happy camper. :)

Might even warrant expansion. Maybe give the C-Verse some real world equivalent schools/dojos. Like, who would be the C-Verse's Killer Kowalski or Johnny Rodz? Or just bring entire schools in wholesale (Squared Circle Training, Storm Wrestling Academy, etc).

Hmmmm......

Well, one person who'd have to be considered is Heidi Brooks. It seems like she's designed to be the C-Verse's version of The Fabulous Moolah.

I didn't notice this being asked, so sorry if it's already asked.

How do the workers come into the first refusal negotiations? The whole class of graduates at one given date or on totally random intervals? If it's a set period of time, would be like in EWR that after one year from starting the game they come in all at once and again a year after that.

Couple thoughts:

1) My guess is that it will always be the first of the month, as that's when new workers debut. Not necessarily every month but it'll happen on the first.

2) If the worker has a set debut date, that's when it will happen. Otherwise, the game will randomly generate a worker like it does now, and there's a chance that randomly generated worker will be a graduate of that dojo and thus you get the first refusal decision.

3) You won't be able to peak into a dojo and see who's currently training there. Graduates will only be generated "when they graduate", not while they're still wrestling around in the dojo.

Dang it, I thought I'd be the first to respond :( Too slow again.

Network settings in the old versions have always bothered me. In fact, a lot of the "hard lines" where you can't do X if you're not at least Y big bugged me.

But now... now a good regional or smaller fed has a chance of getting a tv show. Awesome.

My guess is that it's still limited in that while you can be a teeny-tiny fed, if you're not pulling in the numbers that are appropriate for that network, they'll can you, so no getting MAW on G.N.N. right off the bat.

Dang it, I thought I'd be the first to respond :( Too slow again.

Network settings in the old versions have always bothered me. In fact, a lot of the "hard lines" where you can't do X if you're not at least Y big bugged me.

But now... now a good regional or smaller fed has a chance of getting a tv show. Awesome.

My guess is that it's still limited in that while you can be a teeny-tiny fed, if you're not pulling in the numbers that are appropriate for that network, they'll can you, so no getting MAW on G.N.N. right off the bat.

I was thinking the same thing here. If you can set "Exactly" what the network will except, this is a tremendous value for me. Smaller networks, and regional shows that are shown on network affiliates, can now be addressed to almost perfection. The only thing I would have liked to see is networks that would be willing to work with each other (affiliated). Something like we suggested a while ago about networks being a part of a bigger network, that might have a smaller channel that you normally have your TV show on, but once or twice a year you might be able to do a "Tribute to the Troops" show or "Saturday's Main Event" annually on the main network (CBS for example).

What I really like about this though, is that it will make modding alot easier to place certain shows on specific networks that will be ok with the numbers/size of the promotion.

Remember to use the promotions strengths in overness when selecting a network, as I'll bet the whole regional outlook with the new "Auto-Push" is going to be in effect with most of the game now (which is really great). I don't know this for a fact, but I believe alot of the TV problems in past mods (even DOTT) has to do with the promotions overness in area's that the promotion is not as popular in, but is included in the networks veiwable area. A mistake I plan to remember in any efforts I'm involved in the future with modding.

Great Feature! It will really help modder's I believe, alot more then what you can tell at first glance (and thus help all players).

I'd like to see networks in some regions be a bit more tolerant of wrestling shows. Raw gets about 26,000 viewers in Australia, and Smackdown and Impact have a lot less, yet they're reasonably key parts of their channel. Get those ratings in TEW, and the show wouldn't last a few weeks. I guess it's more an issue for modmakers than the game itself though.

I'd like to see networks in some regions be a bit more tolerant of wrestling shows. Raw gets about 26,000 viewers in Australia, and Smackdown and Impact have a lot less, yet they're reasonably key parts of their channel. Get those ratings in TEW, and the show wouldn't last a few weeks. I guess it's more an issue for modmakers than the game itself though.

That's the modmakers fault totally. If you bloat the size of a network, they'll kick shows that they feel are underperforming. If 26,000 viewers is "good" for a network, its size should reflect that.

There are many people who think half the game's current features are 'fluff' and have no impact on gameplay. They're wrong, of course, but because their only frame of reference is mods made by others who feel the same way (and thus make the same mistakes with their data), they don't see it.

There are plenty of "Good" mods that come out, that have been rushed as well. However, I really want to emphasize the bigger point I forgot to when I originally posted (don't know why I am just now seeing your responces).

You don't have to play their particular mod. There is no reason to be rude.

The problem with the post you've quoted is that it's entirely possible for a mod to render itself worthless due to a modder's lack of understanding of game mechanics. I'm not going to name names, but if each of the WWE's main eventers have popularity ratings that are off by a full letter grade then the mod isn't going to be playable. If mistakes are that big and obvious in the mod's number one promotion, what's it going to look like when I see, say, the CHIKARA or WWC roster?

A couple of weeks ago, on the modding forum, I came across as kind of a dick for being hard on one particular modder. I stand by the message I was attempting to communicate then: We need to be hard on our modding community. Clear criticism of specific issues is the only way we can expect the modding community to meaningfully improve. Listen to me or don't, but either way our community is going to get the mods it deserves.

I read this, as it looked like it mattered to what I said.

You make a strong point here, and I'm not going to debute it. I don't know if "being hard" is the route to go, but being informative perhaps a better way of "helping"?

My main problem in mods, is the criticism over in ring stats. Not overness (which I didn't even mention in my original post). If a brawler has a 55, and you think they should have a 65, change it, it's not going to change much else about the mod over-all, and is a very petty thing to argue over. Overness for Main Event worker's and such IS highly important to get close, but the other stats are not a necessity, especially when your dealing with TNA or WWE (far as them being an Entertainment based promotion). More important stats would be their entertainment stats obviously, but even then, it can be really ridiculous to complain because you think they have 10 more charisma.

The over-all mod itself.. IF you start a game, and TNA or WWE lose thier TV contracts because their ratings suck, then yeah... I can fully back your points;)

That's the modmakers fault totally. If you bloat the size of a network, they'll kick shows that they feel are underperforming. If 26,000 viewers is "good" for a network, its size should reflect that.

/nod. With this new feature, we will be able to see exactly what we are doing, where before it wasn't as obvious.. You had to sim to see what happens, then downgrade the network, or upgrade it accordingly.

Also, sometimes people think that a network is bigger then what it is, if it's shown over more area/regions then another. That's something that this will help with I believe.

Archived