San Jose State: Recuiting Coordinator

I've decided to start up another dynasty, with my last few crashing on me. I have no idea what is up with it, but I enjoy the game so much, I can't stop with it. I've decided to take up on of my other dynasty styles, as recruiting coordinator. The only job I'll do is bring in the players, kinda like an assistant would do. I'll handle the transfers as well. I've found that if I don't, the computer will use up all my money. So, here's my dynasty.

San Jose State Season Review

Admittedly, it was a long season for the Spartans and coach Dick Tomey. We came out of the gates to play a tough Clemson team, who went on to play for the ACC championship, eventually losing to the #2 team in the nation, Miami. Anyway, Clemson came out and blasted us from the beginning, burying us for a 34-0 win. The guys knew it would take a miracle to pull that one out, but it just wasn't to be.

We got our first win against one of the better non-BCS schools, Air Force. Our guys played their hearts out, jumping out to a 17-0 lead midway through the second quarter. The third quarter though saw Air Force come back and eventually trail by just seven, 20-14. The fourth quarter though was ours. Air Force came out and scored a touchdown on the very first play to take a 21-20 lead, but we ran off 12 straight to secure the win, 32-21. It was a good feeling that had the guys thinking we had a chance for a good year.

We had two straight games on the road, losing both. Louisiana-Monroe, we were never really in it, losing 31-17. Next up was Hawaii. We were tied in after regulation at 20. We had the ball first, scoring a touchdown. Hawaii came back and matchup us. We then scored another, but missed on the two point try. Hawaii did the same. The difference though was on the third possession. We kicked a 32 yard field goal. Our guys couldn't stop them from marching in for the touchdown. Losses like that can really kill a season. The guys were down and out after this one.

Boise State was up next. Much like us, the Broncos had a rough season. This one actually turned out to be a fight to see who would stay out of the cellar of the WAC. Never in this one, we lost 40-3. What's worse, they did that to us at our own house. It was a real downer. We all knew we weren't the most talented squad, but to give up 40 at your own place is unexceptable. Probably the toughest loss to swallow for us the whole season.

Louisiana Tech, Idaho and Nevada all were next, with the same results, losses. At this point, we were 1-7 on the year. Nothing to be overly excited about. Coach Tomey told the guys that we still had three games to make this right. They could still come out and show the city of San Jose that there was a reason to support them. New Mexico State was next up on the schedule. At first, it looked like any other San Jose game. New Mexico State came down and scored on their first possession of the game. Coach Tomey wasn't happy. He jumped the guys, tellin them to, um, get their heads out of the butts (that's putting it nicely). The guys responded, scoring the next 20 points, winning the game 20-7. For some reason or another, we had a few students rush the field, like we had just won the WAC. It was great to see the fans support us like that though. It showed that we still had fans that cared.

Our rival, Fresno State was up next. Admittedly, I wanted this one bad. It wasn't to be though as Fresno had to much talent for us, eventually pulling out a 20-13 win. Our last chance at a win was against Utah State, who like us, were struggling to put the wins together. It was at their place, so of coarse, we were the underdogs. Utah State jumped out ot a early 21-10 lead in the early part of the second quarter, but didn't score again. We scored a touchdown with 13 seconds remaining, still trailing by two. We came to the line of scrimmage, called a QB sneak, and got it in there, forcing overtime. In the overtime, Utah State missed their field goal, we didn't, giving us our third and final win of the season.

It was a tough season, finishing with a 3-8 record (2-6 in conference). We really didn't have many expectations, so that's good. Still, we would have liked to see a better showing from the guys.

WAC 2006 Standings

Team                  Conference  Overall Record   
1 Nevada                   6-2         6-7
2 Fresno State             6-2         9-3
3 Louisianna Tech          5-3         5-6
4 Idaho                    5-3         5-6
5 Hawaii                   4-4         8-5
6 Utah State               4-4         4-7
7 New Mexico State         2-6         4-7
8 Boise State              2-6         4-8
9 San Jose State           2-6         3-8

--- WAC Bowl Games ---

Hawaii Bowl: Hawaii def. Eastern Carolina (16-13)

Memphis Bowl: Fresno State def. Tulsa (27-22)

Boise Bowl: Boston College def. Nevada (43-7)

San Jose WAC Performers

-- 1st Team --

Guard: Jerry Collins (SR)

-- 2nd Team --

Quarterback: Johnny Phifer (SR)

Linebacker: Tom Dixon (SR)

-- 3rd Team --

Tackle: Ryan Griggsley (SR)

Linebacker: Austin Shields (SR)

Cornerback: Chad Elias (SR)

Final Top 25 Poll

1: Purdue (11-1)
2: Miami (FL) (11-2)
3: Texas (10-2)
4: Michigan (9-3)
5: Nebraska (10-3)
6: USC (10-2)
7: Syracuse (11-1)
8: Tennesse (10-2)
9: Florida (10-2)
10: Oklahoma (11-3)
11: LSU (10-3)
12: Colorado (9-3)
13: Texas A&M (9-3)
14: Georgia (10-3)
15: West Virginia (10-2) 
16: Kansas State (9-3)
17: Pittsburgh (11-2)
18: Texas Tech (9-3)
19: NC State (10-3)
20: Florida State (8-4)
21: Ohio State (8-4)
22: California (8-4)
23: Oregon (7-5)
24: UCLA (8-4)
25: Notre Dame (8-4) 

Seniors Leaving

I'm definately gonna have to come through for the program. We're losing nine starters from last year, five of which we some sort of all conference player. I'm gonna have to get some quality young men in here to help ease the transition. Could it be that we have a chance to be worse then we were last year? God, I hope not, but after looking at the roster, it's a very real possibility.

--- Recruiting ---

We've got 12 scholarships to fill, focusing the majority of our time on local California kids. We've got a talent rich state that we play in, so why not take advantage of it? Sure, we'll venture out at times. I'm not gonna strap myself like that, especially with such a tight budget. After last season, I'm pretty excited to see how the recruits will view us.

I'm gonna have to bring in a couple of corners and a outside linebacker. Outside of those two positions though, we've already got our minimum at each position. We'll go after a couple of defensive lineman just because you need lineman to be good. We'll look to bring in a new quarterback and probably a wide receiver. It's nice to be able to recruit for talent, not need.

Due to NCAA regulations, I'm not allowed to comment about kids until after National Signing Day. If news happens to leak out, oh well, but I can't comment on anything until the proper time.

Subject: Week 12 Recruit Summary

Players committing to San Jose State

WR Patrick Kimbrough

CB Billy Mason

ILB Grey Carter

CB Pettis Kunz

CB Rick Elam

Subject: Week 13 Recruit Summary

QB Eddie Powell

Subject: Week 14 Recruit Summary

RB Byron Staat

ILB Tron Williams

Subject: Week 17 Recruit Summary

ILB Cory Makovicka

OT Detronn Strong

SS Dave Womack

National Signing Day

Name              Pos     Nat. Rank  Pos. Rank  Hometown/High School
Billy Mason       CB      593        57         Ceritos, California / Gahr
Patrick Kimbrough WR      632        78         El Monte, California / Arroyo
Byron Staat       RB      657        60         Booneville, California / Anderson Valley
Eddie Powell      QB      664        47         Ventura, California / Buena
Tron Williams     ILB     733        52         Manteca, California / Manteca
Pettis Kunz       CB      760        75         Fresno, California / Hoover
Grey Carter       ILB     780        56         San Diego, California / Crawford
Detron Strong     OT(A)   784        50         La Canada, California / Flintridge Prep
Rick Elam         CB      877        93         Los Angeles, California / Hollywood
Cory Makovicka    ILB(A)  893        62         San Fernando, California / San Fernando
Dave Womack       SS      1117       52         Hemet, California / West Valley

The class is defense heavy. We knew we wanted to get some secondary help, which I would say I did rather well. Getting three players at corner the caliber of Mason, Kunz and Elam is outstanding. Mason and Kunz are the ninth and tenth ranked corners in California while Elam checked in at twelve. Dave Womack, I feel, is a sleeper in this class. He's got good speed and size that could help him excel in the WAC.

Our linebackers that we got have a chance to be really, really good. All three bring good size and speed. A move to OLB could be in order for Makovicka, who is the fastest of the three. They all have a kiler instinct that with time, should really come out and enable them to be beasts on the field.

Eddie Powell, the fifth ranked quarterback in California, isn't the best passing threat, but what sets him apart from others is his feet. His instincts, right now, aren't the best, but when it's all said and done, he should be more then adaquette in that term. He might have a chance to start right away, he might not. Either way, I think we got a good one.

Patrick Kimbrough is the new face that Powell maybe throwing to next year. Kimbrough was one of the few players we were after that had multiple BCS offers, yet chose to become a Spartan. Ranked as the sixth best receiver in California and the twelth in the West Region, it's not hard to see why teams were so high on Patrick. He's got sprinter type speed that will set him apart, that is when he learns how to use it.

The final recruit that we got was Detron Strong, who has the ability to play all five positions on the field at once. He is a big, powerful guy that with time, will have agility that many of the top lineman will only dream of. We're lucky to get Strong. He was the other guy, along with Kimbrough, that had multiple BCS schools offer him. I think the fact that he's so versatile and strong had teams drooling over him. We got him though.

Recruiting Ranking: 68

<p><strong>San Jose State 2007 Season Review</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This year was a better year in terms of wins and losses, although only marginal at best. We opened the season with a tough road test, at North Carolina. We put up a good fight against a good North Carolina team (they went 6-5 last year), but we eventually lost 24-10. Still, there was reason to be excited.</p><p> </p><p>

That excitement was realized the very next game, as East Carolina came to town. Definately an ugly game to watch, both defenses were up to the task in holding the other offense down. With us trailing 7-3 early in the second, we scored the next nine points to win our first game of the year, 12-7. Definately wanted the win, although not in the fashion that I would have liked to get it in.</p><p> </p><p>

Nebraska was up next and weren't to kind to us. The people from Nebraska were every bit as advertised, rocking the house from the opening kick. Eventually, the talent won out and we lost 28-9. To say that our offense hadn't impressed up to this point would be a major understatement. Our defense is pretty good, our offense is horrid.</p><p> </p><p>

The next three games, at Idaho, New Mexico State and Boise State all saw us lose, by a grand combined total of six points. Idaho beat us by two, New Mexico State beat us by three and Boise State topped us by a point. This could have been the hardest three weeks that I've had since joining the San Jose State program. I know coach Tomey is upset, but hey, I have a pretty good idea on what we need in terms of players for next year by now.</p><p> </p><p>

Fresno State, at Fresno no less, was up next. Fresno eventually would go on to win the WAC, but on this day, we were the better team, topping them 31-26. We had jumped out to a suprising 24-0 lead early in the third quarter. Fresno came back and scored 17 straight points before we would eventually score the game winning touchdown with eight minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. This was easily our best win since I've been here at State. </p><p> </p><p>

Our guys were riding high, right on into Nevada, who had themselves a pretty good season. We were to not be denied though, winning the game 20-17. Finally, we pulled out one of those close games. We were all tied at 17 with 35 seconds remaining when we hit a 35 yard field goal. The guys went nuts and the rest is history. We were sky high at this time, thinking we had a shot at a actual bowl.</p><p> </p><p>

Utah State was up next, coming to our house. We took care of bussiness yet again, continuing the hot streak that we were on, 13-9. Like I said before, we really didn't have much of an offense so our defense had to come through and make the plays for us to win. I mean, we won this game without scoring an offensive touchdown (the lone touchdown was a fumble recovery for a score). Our defense stepped up for us this year. Our offense didn't. </p><p> </p><p>

We then went to Louisianna Tech and Hawaii the last two games of the year, where once again, our lack of offense really bit us in the butt. Tech beat us by seven (20-13) while Hawaii really put a beating on us defensively, 16-3. With any sort of offense this year, we could have been good. How bad was our offense? It was ranked 109 in the nation. That's horrible. There are only 119 teams in the country, so there's not much we can't do next year to not improve. Still, the guys on defense played hard and kept us in the majority of the games we played. I'm stoked for those guys.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>WAC Standings</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">Team Conference Record Overall Record

Fresno State 6-2 8-4

Boise State 6-2 7-4

New Mexico State 5-3 5-6

Hawaii 4-4 6-6

Nevada 4-4 6-5

Utah State 3-5 4-7

Louisianna Tech 3-5 3-8

San Jose State 3-5 4-7

Idaho 2-6 3-8</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

--- WAC Bowl Games ---</p><p> </p><p>

Hawaii Bowl: Central Florida def. Hawaii (23-14)</p><p> </p><p>

Boise Bowl: #13 Miami def. Fresno State (37-26)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>San Jose State WAC performers</strong></p><p> </p><p>

-- 1st Team --</p><p>

DE: Sean Summerell (JR)</p><p> </p><p>

-- 2nd Team --</p><p>

WR: Matt McCord (SR)</p><p>

OG: Billy Suggs (SR)</p><p> </p><p>

-- 3rd Team --</p><p>

FB: Dana Kostrewa (JR)</p><p>

DE: Bob Adams (JR)</p><p>

LB: Jeff Johnson (JR)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Top San Jose State Players</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">Player Position Year Stats

Donnie Lewis QB SO 50.2%, 1587 yards, 8 TD, 9 INT

James Bostic RB JR 317 rushes, 1040 yards

Matt McCord WR SR 51 catches, 781 yards, 5 TD

Dick Frazier TE SR 17 catches, 239 yards, 1 TD

Stan Jones WR JR 10 catches, 215 yards, 1 TD

Patrick Kimbrough WR FR 10 catches, 213 yards

Jon Reader FS SR 72 tackles, 1 INT

Cory Makovicka ILB FR 60 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT

Tra Carpenter SS JR 57 tackles, 4 INT

Tron Williams ILB FR 56 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT

Jeff Johnson OLB JR 43 tackles, 3 sacks

Rick Elam CB FR 32 tackles, 11 PD

Seam Summerell DE JR 23 tackles, 9 sacks

Bob Adams DE JR 23 tackles, 7 sacks

Dave McGhee SS SR 16 tackles, 1 INT

Pete Kunz CB FR 15 tackles, 2 INT</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

Looking at the list of contributors, we are gonna have quite a few of them back. Sure, losing our top two receiver threats sucks and our starting safeties, but I feel confident I can find feasable replacements that can come to San Jose State and really improve our team. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Final Season Polls</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">1. LSU (9-3)

2. Notre Dame (11-1)

3. Auburn (10-2)

4. Maryland (11-2)

5. Alabama (10-3)

6. Ohio State (12-1)

7. Michigan (11-2)

8. Purdue (9-4)

9. Georgia (9-4)

10. USC (9-3)

11. Georgia Tech (10-3)

12. Washington (9-3)

13. Texas (10-2)

14. Miami (9-3)

15. Syracuse (10-3)

16. UCLA (9-3)

17. Oklahoma (10-3)

18. Florida State (9-3)

19. Pittsburgh (9-3)

20. Penn State (8-4)

21. Minnesota (9-3)

22. Tennessee (9-3)

23. Oregon State (9-3)

24. West Virginia (9-4)

25. Florida (7-5)</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

--- Recruiting ---</p><p> </p><p>

We've got 18 scholarships for use this year, many of which need to go to skill positions and both lines. Like last year, I can't really comment on any of the recuits until national signing day, although I've got a hunch that it's not gonna be as good as last year due to our back to back down years.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">Player Pos. Year Nat. Rank Pos. Rank Hometown/High School

Rod Schottenheimer CB(A) FR 501 56 Herlong, California / Herlong

Cliff Brister CB FR 706 75 Menifee, California / Paloma Valley

Fred Thomas ILB Fr 1027 63 Woodland Hills, California / Taft

Rob Holmes OT FR 1043 81 Bakersfield, California / Stockdale

Brent Gabriel CB(A) JR 1212 146 Baytown, Texas / Garden City CC

Mark Koman OG(A) FR 1589 91 Irving, California / University

Ron Mankins FS FR 1629 82 Emporia, Kansas / Emporia

Art Loville QB(A) FR 1630 129 Flanders, New Jersey / Mount Olive

Charles Delpino QB(A) FR 1692 140 Pocatello, Idaho / Pocatello

Johnny Gregory OT FR 1772 119 Corona, California / Santiago

Delvin Couch DE FR 1773 113 Fresno, California / Edison

Doak Speedie TE JR 1797 102 Delano, California / College of Marin

Mike Burns FS FR 1818 95 Whittier, California / Whittier Christian

Nathan Nedney ILB FR 1837 102 San Fransisco, California / Balboa

Ronnie Mayberry WR FR 1873 225 Wilmington, Delaware / St. Elizabeth

Russ Rodgers K FR 1939 32 Weaverville, California / Trinity</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

Not the best recruiting class that I've ever seen, but for the WAC, I think it's adaquette. Admittedly, we didn't have prospects banging down our door to come play at San Jose State, so I had to be creative with who I went after and offered a couple of players that really didn't have much interest in us, yet didn't have offers either. </p><p> </p><p>

Our secondary once again got better with the addition of our two highest ranked recruits, Rod Schottenheimer and Cliff Brister. Pair those two with junior college player Brent Gabriel and safeties Ron Mankins and Mike Burns, I think we'll be good for a couple of years in the secondary, especially with the players we're bringing back.</p><p> </p><p>

We also brought in a couple of linebackers, Fred Thomas and Nathan Nedney. If I had to bet on it, I would guess that Nedney has a chance to move to outside linebacker. Fred Thomas is one of those players that not a lot of teams were looking at, yet I feel has a chance to be an all conference type player. </p><p> </p><p>

The two quarterbacks we got could get moved to other positions as well. I brought them both in with the idea of moving at least one to a skill position. Loville is the faster of the two players, so my bet would be on him moving.</p><p> </p><p>

We brought in three offensive linemen, which I'm happy about. You can never have to many lineman to protect your quarteback. </p><p> </p><p>

What I don't like is our lack of defensive lineman in this class. Sure, we were able to get Delvin Couch to sign with us, but we're down two defensive tackles still. Every d-tackle that I offered went elsewhere. By that time, the remaining tackles really didn't impress me, so I decided to focus on other areas that would help improve our football team. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Recruiting Rank: #81. Not as bad as I thought we would have been. In conference, only Boise State and Fresno State were better.</strong></p>

<p><strong>San Jose State 2008 Season Review</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This was a banner season for Coach Tomey and the rest of the San Jose State family. Not only did we have a winning record conference wise, we also went to our first bowl game while I was the recruiting coordinator. The team really came together and played well. I love this feeling right now.</p><p> </p><p>

The season opened up with a couple of road games against higher profile teams, Syracuse and Miami (OH). Syracuse blasted us in the beginning of the year, 58-6. Many around town were rumbling that we didn't have the drive or talent to compete with the teams in the WAC. We knew better though. We traveled to Miami (OH) and put up a really good fight. Sure, we came out a 14-11 loser, but what it showed was we could play with teams that had more supposed talent then us. Miami (OH) was picked to finish in the top three of the MAC, so we knew we were headed in the right direction.</p><p> </p><p>

Louisianna-Monroe was next up. Good thing to. They were primed as far as a team that we could beat. They were coming into the contest 1-1, but that didn't get the guys down. We played San Jose State football, got down and dirty, and sneaked out a 30-20 win. Our defense really stepped up and made plays when we needed them to. Without them, I'm certain that we would have lost and the people of San Jose would have been demoralized.</p><p> </p><p>

Nevada was our first conference game, a game that I know the guys wish we could have back. We came out flat as a piece of paper, never in it. Nevada took a halftime lead of 3-0, but they eventually woke up in the second half, we didn't. Nevada would score the next 15 points, winning 18-3 to give us one of the worst and most embarrising losses that Coach Tomey has ever endured. </p><p> </p><p>

Next up, our rival, Fresno State. They were a beast of a team this year, playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Texas (they lost by the way), so you know they were legit. We played them as tough as we could, losing 20-0. Outside of the Texas game, that was the lowest amount of points that they scored all year. The guys, although losing, felt like they had shown that they belonged to play with the best of the WAC.</p><p> </p><p>

Louisianna Tech, Utah State and Idaho were all up next, at home none the less. We felt it important that we win these three games if we were gonna make our ultimate goal, playing a 12th game this year. We started the run off strong, beating Louisianna Tech, 20-16. If it weren't for a couple of safeties by our defense, the score could have been tilted in Louisianna Tech's favor.</p><p> </p><p>

Utah State was up next. Feeling pretty good coming off our latest win, the guys played lose and free. Utah State had a 10-7 lead going into halftime, but that didn't get the guys down. They played hard and came out and scored 17 third quarter points, giving us the 24-10 margin that we won by. </p><p> </p><p>

Idaho was next up. Admittedly, we came out overlooking them and eventually saw us down 15-3 early in the fourth quarter. Coach Tomey let the guys know that they were blowing a great chance at what could turn out to be a really good season. The guys got the message, scoring a quick touchdown, putting the score at 15-10. With five seconds remaining on the clock, we had the ball on their 41 yard line, needing a touchdown to win. Our quarterback rolled out and threw a perfect strike, hitting our receiver in stride, giving us the winning touchdown, 18-15. Probably the most exciting game that we've ever had while I've been at San Jose State.</p><p> </p><p>

We then went to Hawaii, an always tough place to play. Coach Tomey was worried about a letdown after such a magnificent game, but much to his delight, the team came out ready to play and put it to the Warriors, winning quite convincingly, 26-9. We were on the biggest roll of the season, feeling pretty good about ourselves. The guys were up, the chemistry was great and we were ready to take on the world. </p><p> </p><p>

A trip to Boise to take on the Broncos soon took us down to earth though. Going into the fourth quarter, we were down 31-3. It was such a tough game for us to handle. Boise State is one of the class acts of the WAC. We couldn't put up a fight to save our lives. We would score a late touchdown to make the score semi respectable, but still, a 31-10 loss wasn't what we were looking for. </p><p> </p><p>

What did we need? A trip to New Mexico State was just what the doctor ordered. We went into there and laid it on them, doing basically whatever we wanted to do. Our offense really took off, scoring 27 points. Even more impressive, New Mexico State didn't score at all, giving us a 27-0 win and more importantly, that all important sixth vicotry. The guys had finally done it. We were headed to a bowl.</p><p> </p><p>

We were invited to play UAB in the Hawaii bowl. That was fine with us, having already won once in Hawaii this year. We had UAB's number, for most of the game that is. Winning 13-9, we let up a 12 play drive that gave UAB a touchdown, the eventual winning score and the win, 16-13. The guys were so close to winning the bowl game, but alas, it just wasn't in the cards.</p><p> </p><p>

The guys had a good season even if they fell short in the bowl season. We managed to win six games and finish with a winning record in conference. The defense really stepped up for us this year, finishing 19th in the nation. Our offense on the other hand actually got worse, finishing 115th, just four spots from the worst offense in the nation. We really need playmakers for us to be successful. We don't have any right now. It's my job to get them. I will get them.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>WAC Standings</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">Team Conference Record Overall Record

Fresno State 8-0 11-1

Boise State 6-2 8-5

San Jose State 5-3 6-6

Idaho 4-4 5-6

Nevada 4-4 4-7

New Mexico State 3-5 4-8

Louisianna Tech 2-6 3-8

Hawaii 2-6 2-8

Utah State 2-6 3-8</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

--- WAC Bowl Games ---</p><p> </p><p>

Fiesta Bowl: #2 Texas def. #12 Fresno State (41-9)</p><p> </p><p>

Boise Bowl: Boise State def. North Carolina (27-22)</p><p> </p><p>

Hawaii Bowl: UAB def. San Jose State (16-13)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>San Jose State WAC Perfomers</strong></p><p> </p><p>

-- 1st Team --</p><p>

CB: Pettiz Krunz (SO)</p><p> </p><p>

-- 2nd Team --</p><p>

FB: Wayne Gilliam (JR)</p><p>

OT: Detron Strong (SO)</p><p>

DT: Bill Wilson (JR)</p><p> </p><p>

-- 3rd Team --</p><p>

TE: Doak Speedie (JR)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Top San Jose State Players</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">Player Position Year Stats

Eddie Powell QB SO 54.2%, 844 yards, 6 TD, 8 INT, 33 rushes, 133 yards

Donnie Lewis QB JR 46%, 1337 yards, 8 TD, 8 INT, 34 rushes, 204 yards

James Bostic RB SR 305 rushes, 695 yards, 32 catches, 221 yards, 2 TD

Byron Staat RB SO 85 rushes, 225 yards, 38 catches, 605 yards, 3 TD

Patrick Kimbough WR SO 22 catches, 356 yards, 1 TD

Stan Jones WR SR 24 catches, 255 yards, 1 TD

Doak Speedie TE JR 11 catches, 212 yards, 2 TD

Wayne Gilliam FB JR 6 carries, 7 yards, 16 catches, 111 yards, 2 TD

Cory Makovicka ILB SO 67 tackles, 6 sacks

Tra Carpenter SS SR 58 tackles, 1 INT, 36 returns, 438 yards, 1 TD

Dave Womack SS FR 53 tackles, 4 INT

Rod Shottenheimer CB FR 53 tackles, 2 INT, 6 returns, 97 yards, 1 TD

Grey Carter ILB FR 48 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT

James Johnson ILB SO 45 tackles, 1 sack

Pettis Krunz CB SO 38 tackles, 6 INT, 9 PD, 1 TD

Mike Burns FS FS 38 tackles

Billy Mason CB SO 24 tackles, 8 PD

Tron Williams OLB FR 23 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT

Bob Adams DE SR 22 tackles, 5 sacks

Donald Siani DE SO 19 tackles, 6 sacks

Jeff Johnson OLB SR 18 tackles, 3 sacks

Brent Gabriel CB JR 17 tackles, 2 INT

Sean Summerell DE SR 17 tackles, 7 sacks

Ron Mankins FS FR 16 tackles, 2 INT

Bill Wilson DT JR 13 tackles, 4 sacks

Byron Freeman DT JR 6 tackles, 5 sacks</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

We're bringining back a lot of our top performers, again. I love it. Our offense is horrid, almost unwatchable. Our defense though is our bread and butter. Most of them are sophmores and juniors, really good for us. Coach Tomey and the staff at San Jose State have high expectations for next year though. It should be fun to watch.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Final Top 25 Poll</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">1. Miami (11-2)

2. Ohio State (11-1)

3. Texas (12-1)

4. Michigan (10-2)

5. LSU (12-1)

6. Fresno State (11-1)

7. Purdue (9-3)

8. USC (9-3)

9. Oklahoma (10-2)

10. Florida State (10-3)

11. Colorado (10-3)

12. Auburn (9-3)

13. Maryland (9-3)

14. Georgia (8-4)

15. Kansas State (8-4)

16. Georgia Tech (8-4)

17. Oregon (8-4)

18. Nebraska (8-4)

19. Washington (9-3)

20. Clemson (8-4)

21. Minnesota (8-4)

22. Wisconsin (8-4)

23. Boston College (7-5)

24. Louisville (8-4)

25. Iowa (7-5)</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Transfer</strong></p><p> </p><p>

I convinced a running back from Las Flores, California to bring his skills to San Jose State. <strong>Shawn Smtih</strong> was a four star running back last year that went to UCLA, but didn't get the reps that he was looking for. He's a small back, standing 5-9, that has great agility and speed to make people miss. Like I said before, we're in serious need of playmakers. Smtih, in my mind, fits that role. I like him a lot.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

--- Recruiting ---</p><p> </p><p>

We need playmakers, plain and simple. Our offense is horrid. We were better then four teams in the nation last year. Four. It's hard to win a conference title with that kind of offense. I'll try to make that a huge emphasis this year. We need to bring in playmakers, plain and simple. </p><p> </p><p>

We've got 15 scholarships to take care of business with, so we've got to be picky with who we go after.</p><p> </p><p>

You know the deal. No talking until National Signing Day.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><pre class="ipsCode">Player Pos. Year Nat. Rank Pos. Rank Hometown / School

Gino Dean DE FR 664 47 Turlock, California / Pittman

Johnathan Buckhalter OG JR 711 37 Vista, California / Cerritos

Rabih Alexander QB(A) FR 742 48 Calexico, California / Calexico

Anthony Thrash DT FR 745 37 Santa Cruz, California / Santa Cruz

Brad Porcher SS FR 796 41 Clayton, New Mexico / Clayton

Casey Kruntz OG FR 827 43 Avondale, Arizona / Westview

Jason Branch DE FR 879 67 Long Beach, California / Woodrow Wilson

Steve McElroy OLB FR 896 89 Merced, California / Stone Ridge

Ken Eaton QB(A) FR 902 57 Manteca, California / Sierra

Steve Brewer OLB FR 921 90 Lovington, New Mexico / Lovington

Marico Mickens FB(A) FR 966 41 Corpus Christi, Texas / Flour Buff

John Currie TE FR 1047 47 Tempe, Arizona / Marcos de Niza

Russell Stewart WR FR 1073 139 Madera, California / Liberty

Phil Shelton DT FR 1081 42 Atwater, California / Atwater

Tank McGraw DE FR 1164 86 Calistogo, California / Calistogo</pre><div></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

We got a really big class this year, filling up all the scholarships that we had to offer. We struck out on a lot of the skill position players that we went after, but still were able to grab a few players that I feel could be difference makers for us. </p><p> </p><p>

Both the quarterbacks we got, Rabih Alexander and Ken Eaton, could see moves to other positions. As you can see, if I see a quarterback that has the chance to transform into a player at another position, I'm not shy on pulling that trigger. Alexander is the player that I'm really excited about. He's fast and strong that is capable of taking it to the house everytime he touches the football.</p><p> </p><p>

We were able to pick up a couple of big offensive guards to help booster our o-line. Kreutz was a major get for us, ranked #1 in Arizona for offensive guards while Buckhalter wasn't much worse, number five in a more talent rich state, California. I've put the building blocks in place for Coach Tomey to take advantage of that big, powerful line that he now possesses. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to control the line of scrimmage for the next couple of years with those big beasts up front.</p><p> </p><p>

Russell Stewart, the wideout, and John Currie, the tight end, aren't house hold names, and probably never will be, but what I think they'll do is come in and be steady hands that our quarterback can come in and depend on if in tight situations. Currie has a chance though to be a difference maker on offense, with all that speed he possesses. Linebackers are gonna have trouble staying with the young man.</p><p> </p><p>

Our defense really got better today, especially up front. We plucked three defensive ends and two defensive tackles that we desperately needed with the lack of talent coming back and the graduations we had. The d-tackles were especially big for us, ranked #2 and #3 in Cali. For sure, some of these guys will see major playing time next year.</p><p> </p><p>

Bringing in a couple of linebackers like McElroy and Brewer were huge for us as well. McElroy was the 11th best outside linebacker in California while Brewer was the #1 ranked outside linebacker in New Mexico, definately a big get there. Both could see time next year depending on what defense Coach Tomey goes with.</p><p> </p><p>

Brad Porcher was the lone secondary player we went after this year, since most of our secondary returns from last year's outstanding squad. Porcher has some skills, ranked the #1 strong safety in Arizona, Porcher had several BCS schools taking a look at him, yet chose to continue his playing career as a Spartan. My guess is he gets redshirted next year with all the talent we bring back in the secondary, but you never know.</p><p> </p><p>

Once again, our defense gets better. I'm still really worried about our offense. I wasn't able to get the players that I was hoping I would be able to get. We got a couple of good ones, but I fear none of them will be that difference maker that we desperately need. We have to go with what we were able to nab though, which in my eyes, wasn't to shabby. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Recruiting Rank: #45, ranked number two in the WAC behind Fresno State. I'll definately take it.</strong></p>

San Jose State 2009 Season Review

Our second good season in a row, although we didn't get the end result that we were looking for, missing out on back to back bowl games. We played our hearts all year long, making great strides on both sides of the ball. We were a real threat that teams had to game plan for. Coach Tomey did a great job with this squad.

Our opening game was a blowout, seriously. Pitt is a good team, laying it to us. This was basically over with in the first quarter. Our offense was better this year, but not against a Big East team like Pitt. They scored 17 early points which pretty much killed any confidence the guys had coming in, eventually routing us to a 50-6 win. Brutal way to start the season.

Western Michigan came to town in week 2, a team that like us, was looking to make a splash in conference this year. They really didn't put up much a fight though, with us winning 27-10. This was really the start of the so called "coming out party" for our offense. We passed the ball well, and more importantly, actually started to run the ball effectively. Believe it or not, in the last two years, we hadn't had a rushing touchdown. That changed this year.

Ole' Miss was up next, which we gave a good run, but came up a bit short, 30-26. We were actually leading 26-17 going into the fourth quarter, but the talent of Ole' Miss was too much for us to handle. Still though, we showed that we can play with the big boys of the BCS, which was good for us going forward into the conference season.

#6 Fresno State was up next, this time coming to our house. We were up for the challenge, leading 6-3 going into the fourth quarter. The fourth quarter though has become our nemisis this year. Again we blew a lead and lost 13-6. It really sucks to be that close to beating a ranked team. Coach Tomey and the guys were getting valuable experience though, playing three of our first four games against legit teams that can play with anybody in the nation.

We had an off week and then went off to New Mexico State, taking advantage of their lackluster defense in the third quarter, scoring all of our 21 points in route to a 21-14 win. Our offense stepped up and our defense held them in check the whole second half. Our offense came through when needed, especially our passing game. This was a good, good win for us in terms of momentum going forward.

Hawaii was up next, coming into our house no less. They were hot coming in, holding a 4-1 record with us still struggling a bit at 2-3. This was much of the same though, with us holding a lead early in the fourth only to blow it, losing 25-20. Coach Tomey was starting to get a little aggitated. Can you blame him? I mean, if we could have held onto our fourth quarter leads, we could easily be 5-1 at this point of the season. But we can't play the what if game. We've got to go with the cards we were dealt, which was a 2-4 start halfway through the season.

We were worried with Boise State coming into town the following week. We weren't really sure on how the guys would react to a couple of tough weeks behind them, but they came out flying and hitting. With 58 seconds to go in the game, we were trailing 34-30, when our quarterback hit our wideout with a perfect pass, scoring the game winning touchdown, giving us a 37-34 win. This was easily the biggest win of the year for us.

Idaho was up next, which really didn't put up a fight. We won rather easily 30-10, which I fully expected. Nevada was after Idaho, putting up a little more of a fight, although not anything to worry about, eventually losing to us 20-3. We were on a huge roll right about now, feeling pretty good about ourselves. Then it happened.

Utah State, who we've owned in the past, played probably their best game of the year and handed us a 17-10 loss. Coach Tomey and the guys couldn't believe it. The defense didn't show up. The offense didn't show up. Special teams didn't show up. This was really a poor showing by us because this would have certainly given us the number of wins that we needed to make a bowl game. Really dissapointing.

Louisianna Tech was our final game of the year, which we disposed of by 10, 32-22. Our defense played well and our offense played better. The guys knew that they weren't gonna make it to a bowl game just because we've usually got to finish in the top three of the WAC to get a bowl invite.

This was a season of "what ifs". What if we wouldn't have blown those fourth quarter leads. What if we would have scheduled an easier non conference schedule. What if we would have used this defense or that defense. We can't do that to ourselves though. Technically, this was San Jose State's first winning record since I've been recruiting coordinator. The guys played well all year. Outside of the first game, we had a shot at winning just about every single game. We had some guys step up this year that we really weren't counting on. We're looking solid going forward.

WAC Standings

Team               Conference Record   Overall Record
Fresno State       8-0                 11-1
Boise State        5-3                 7-5
Hawaii             5-3                 7-5
San Jose State     5-3                 6-5
Idaho              3-5                 4-7
Utah State         3-5                 4-7
Louisianna Tech    3-5                 4-7
New Mexico State   3-5                 4-7
Nevada             1-7                 1-10

--- San Jose State WAC Performers ---

-- 1st Team --

WR: Russell Stewart (FR) - Freshman of the Year in the WAC

OT: Detron Strong (JR)

DT: Phil Shelton (JR)

-- 2nd Team --

QB: Donnie Lewis (SR)

LB: Tron Williams (JR)

-- 3rd Team --

OT: Rob Holmes (SO)

LB: James Johnson (JR)

San Jose State Top Players

Player              Position    Year    Stats
Donnie Lewis        QB          SR      49.2%, 1705 yards, 14 TD, 7 INT, 24 rushes, 136yards, 1 TD
Eddie Powell        QB          JR      47.4%, 1054 yards, 6 TD, 7 INT, 18 rushes, 114 yards
Art Loville         RB          FR      166 rushes, 721 yards, 2 TD, 8 catches, 87 yards
Byron Staat         RB          JR      162 rushes, 584 yards, 8 catches, 68 yards
Russell Stewart     WR          FR      44 catches, 867 yards, 5 TD, 5 rushes, 69 yards, 1 TD
Ronnie Mayberry     WR          SO      37 catches, 567 yards, 3 TD
Tony Shaw           WR          JR      29 catches, 422 yards, 4 TD
Patrick Kimbrough   WR          JR      20 catches, 363 yards, 3 TD
Marcus Musgrave     WR          SR      16 catches, 172 yards, 4 TD
John Currie         TE          FR      10 catches, 59 yards, 1 TD
James Johnson       ILB         JR      72 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT
Tron Williams       OLB         JR      54 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 INT
Brad Porcher        FS          FR      52 tackles, 1 INT
Cliff Brister       CB          FR      32 tackles, 14 PD, 2 INT
Fred Thomas         ILB         FR      30 tackles, 1 INT
Dustin Dixon        SS          SR      27 tackles, 2 INT
Dave Womack         SS          SO      27 tackles, 1 INT
Rod Schottenheimer  CB          SO      22 tackles, 8 PD, 1 INT
Cory Makovicka      ILB         JR      21 tackles, 2 sacks
Grey Carter         ILB         SO      21 tackles, 1 sack
Steve Brewer        OLB         FR      20 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT
Steve McElroy       OLB         FR      18 tackles, 1 sack
Pettis Krunz        CB          JR      17 tackles, 4 PD
Rick Elam           CB          SO      11 tackles, 2 INT
Phil Shelton        DT          FR      10 tackles, 5 sacks
Donald Siani        DE          SR      10 tackles, 3 sacks
Gino Dean           DE          FR      9 tackles, 1 sack
Tank McGraw         DE          FR      9 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT
Anthony Thrash      DT          FR      4 tackles, 2 sacks

It's nice to see some of my hard work paying off. I'm probably most proud of Art Loville, a converted quarterback turned running back lead us in rushing this year, plus actually producing a running touchdown, our first rushing scores in two seasons. We're losing only three players off this list, so that's really good for us. Just taking a quick glimpse, it looks like we'll have 11-13 scholarships available for next year, meaning we might have the luxury to take talent over needs.

Final Top 25 Poll

1. Washington (11-1)
2. Miami (12-1)
3. Florida (11-2)
4. UCLA (10-2)
5. Colorado (10-3)
6. Fresno State (11-1)
7. LSU (11-2)
8. Tennessee (10-2)
9. Texas (10-2)
10. Kansas State (10-3)
11. TCU (11-1)
12. Florida State (10-3)
13. West Virginia (10-2)
14. Ohio State (9-3)
15. USC (8-4)
16. Oregon State (10-3)
17. Michigan (8-4)
18. Auburn (9-3)
19. Utah (9-3)
20. Oregon (8-4)
21. Boston College (8-4)
22. Purdue (8-4)
23. Wisconsin (8-4)
24. Iowa (8-4)
25. Arizona (8-4)

--- Recruiting ---

So, I was off when making my projections for this recruiting season. We've got 19 scholarships to fill, a number I'm not sure how we got to but we did. I've got my work cut out for me though. We're gonna have to hit the offensive line, skill positions and defensive tackle. Those are probably our main targets as it stands right now. But if a player comes up that I really think can help us, I'm not gonna be shy to pull the trigger on a offer. That's just my style

As always, I can't comment until National Signing Day.

Player           YR  Pos.   Nat. Rank  Pos. Rank  Hometown / High School
Kai Steinbach    FR  OLB    719        47         Concord, California / Concord
Buford King      FR  RB(A)  721        66         Orageville, California / Casa Roble
J.D. Barton      FR  OLB    746        49         Santa Paula, California /  Santa Paula
J.R. Davenport   FR  C      783        44         Anaheim, California / Western
Milt Marion      FR  OT     817        51         Woodland Hills, California / Taft
Harold Waters    FR  ILB    847        51         Bakersfield, California / Highland
Cedric Holmes    FR  OT     900        55         Los Angeles, California / Hamilton
Eddie Harris     FR  WR     943        119        Los Angeles, California / Dorsey
Larry Brown      FR  WR     946        120        Newport Beach, California / Corona Del Mar
Bob Robinson     FR  SS     968        48         Santa Clara, California / Santa Clara
Matt Johnson     JR  OT(A)  985        59         San Diego, California / Golden West
Reuben Kellerman FR  SS     1021       50         Oakland, California / Oakland
Tim Warren       FR  RB     1030       92         Kirtland, New Mexico / Kirtland Central
Shawn Hicks      JR  C(A)   1228       64         Kyle, South Dakota / North Iowa Area CC
John Penright    FR  FB     1285       42         Rio Vista, Texas / Rio Vista
Charles Green    FR  DT     1337       66         San Jose, California / Pioneer
Eric Tunnell     FR  P      2567       33         Kenmore, Washington / Inglemoor

Our defense certainly got better today. We added a pair of solid outside linebackers to go along with the middle backer we got, Harold Waters. All three have a chance to be really good come conference time.

Much to my delight, we were able to snag some skill position players. King and Warren both have traits that should make them good in the distant future. We have that transfer, Shawn Smith, coming in this year plus the return of our top running back, Art Loville. I'm pretty sure both will be redshirted by Coach Tomey, but then again, crazier things have happened.

Eddie Harris and Larry Brown both shoudl come in and produce right away at receiver. We're not the deepest unit there, so any help they can give riegning freshman of the year, Russell Stewart, would be greatly appreciated. I see big things in store for those two.

Our offensive line got better with the additions of offensive tackles, Holmes and Johnson, and centers, Hicks and Davenport. Both Hick and Johnson can play muliple positions, making them even more valuable. I like what this group can bring to the team.

Bob Robinson had a few BCS schools looking at him, yet we were first to jump on him and I think that persistance helped land the talented safety to San Jose. He's got great size and speed that make him a valuable commodity when matched up with tightends or running backs out of the backfield.

Reuben Kellerman on the other hand is more of a "diamond in the rough" type of prospect. He really didn't get much notice on the recruting front, yet I felt like he could be a serviceable safety two years from now. He doesn't have ideal speed, but he's a big tall guy that can make plays on the ball. If I had to bet on it, I would guess that Kellerman would get redshirted before Robinson does.

The final recruit I want to talk about I found right in our own back yard. Charles Green is from right here in San Jose that really should be able to step in and make an immediate impact for us. He's a big, strong guy that offensive lineman will certainly have a hard time throwing around. In fact, give him a year or two and I feel like he'll be the one doing the throwing around. We needed a defensive tackle. Green fits our team perfectly.

Recruiting Ranking: #53, finishing second yet again in the WAC behind powerhouse Fresno State.

Texas Longhorns Announces new Recruiting Coordinator

The Texas Longhorns have announced that Coach Boog, former San Jose State recruiting coordinator, would be taking the same position under Coach Mack Brown.

"I'm excited for this oppurtunity", coach Boog said. "It's not everyday that you get a chance to go to a storied program like Texas. I look forward to working with the coaches and athletes in the great state of Texas".

Asked about his leaving San Jose State, coach Boog had this to say:

"San Jose State was such a good experience for me. Not only was it my first job in college football, but it was just such a great atmosphere. I've got to thank Coach Tomey and the great people at San Jose State. They were nothing but great this whole process, encouraging me to go take this job. They all knew Texas was one of my dream destinations. Here I am now".

Coach Boog is leaving behind a San Jose State that finished with it's best record since him being there, 9-3 with a bowl victory against Northern Illinois in the Detroit Bowl. Texas on the other hand is coming off a 7-5 season with a 3-5 mark in the Big 12.

"I know that Coach Brown is counting on me to bring in the players that he needs to compete for a Big 12 championship and more importantly, a national championship."

2010 Texas Recruiting

I've certainly got my work cut out for me with 22 scholarships to fill. There are quite a few positions of importance this offseason. You could have probably guessed that though with having 22 players needed. What I'm gonna have to get use to though is Texas is a nationally known program, meaning they recruit nationally. That won't sway me from trying to make inroads with the high school programs in state. I've always felt that getting the best players in your own backyard is important. That won't change here.

As always, I can't comment on recruits until National Signing Day.

Player              Pos    Nat Rank  Pos Rank  Hometown / High School
Greg Goodwin        CB(A)   36        3        South Burlington, Vermont / Rice Memorial
Cory Williams       DE      39        5        Marion, Texas / Marion
Howard Mosebar      ILB(A)  61        3        Coconut Creek, Florida / Monarch
Speedy Hannah       OG      77        4        Houston, Texas / North Shore
Jermaine Hudson     OLB(A)  97        10       Arlington, Texas / Starmont
Jim Tuiasosopo      FS      121       9        Brunswick, Georgia / Brunswick
Lawyer Maxson       OLB(A)  153       19       San Angelo, Texas / Lake View
Cortez Harrison     DT      155       18       Tahoka, Texas / Tahoka
Kevin Liwienski     CB      160       12       D'Hanis, Texas / D'Hanis
Terrell Franks      TE      163       6        Towson, Maryland / Towson
Cotton Mitchell     RB      286       30       Cypress, Texas / Cy-Fair
Randall Porter      TE      310       16       Cushing, Texas / Cushing
Ken Ferguson        WR      416       40       Topeka, Kansas / Washburn Rural
Brody Thomas        OLB     547       66       Dallas, Texas / North Dallas
Randy Tubbs         OT      787       65       Marion, Ohio / Marion Catholic
Muhsin Jackson      QB(A)   806       37       Cheektowaga, New York / Cleveland Hills

We got quite a few difference makers on the defensive side of the ball, yet struck out on a lot of the offensive players we were after. Cornerback Greg Goodwin was the lone five star recruit we got, at a position of need no less. He's got good speed and size, making him a canidate for a potential position switch to a safety, although I highly doubt Coach Brown will want to do that. There were a lot of teams after the talented corner, yet he chose to come halfway across the country to become a Horn. He instantly makes our defense better.

Cory Williams is a player that I feel has five star talent. He's a Texas boy, so signing him was a priority for me. He'll see the field from the get go, we're really thin up front. He's a big time pass rusher that really gets after the quarterback. In high school, Willaims had an amazing 17 sacks his senior year. We're gonna need that kind of production from him next year for our defense to be successful.

Cortez Harrison was the only other defensive lineman that we were able to real in. Another Texas kid, I feel like he's got all the tools to anchor our line for the next four years. Right now, he's not a huge kid, but given a year or two in our weight room, he should fill out his frame rather nicely. I like bringing in these Texas kids that want to be Horns.

I was also able to bring in four linebackers in this class. Without a doubt, Howard Mosebar is the best out of the bunch. He's a big, strong, fast linebacker that can run sideline to sideline and really disrupt what the opposing teams offense wants to do. Jermaine Hudson and Lawyer Maxson are two outside linebacker that have as much speed as I've ever seen two linebackers possess. Both were highly productive players in high school, something I think could happen while they're both here.

Cotton Mitchell is a running back that a lot of Texas teams were after. He was a touchdown scoring machine that will make a defender miss as much as he will bull someone over. He's a good blocker and has even better instincts. Mitchell was a prospect flying under the radar of most championship caliber teams. Good thing, because I think we got a good one.

Terrelle Franks and Randall Porter were the two tightends we got. Franks is more of a receiving threat while Porter is more your typical blocking tight end. Both are big and strong while Franks has the speed to get past linebackers. Both should be major matchup problems. Ken Ferguson was the wideout we got that is an absolute burner, possessing 4.3 speed. That's crazy fast. He doesn't run the best routes right now, but we're not gonna have to rely on him to produce right now.

I was able to pull in a really, really good class. If we're not in the top 10, I'm gonna be really upset. We got 10 players that were in the top 250 in the nation, five of which were in the top 100. That's absolutely nuts. I think I'd put up our recruiting class against any other recruiting class in the nation. That's how much I like what I've done here.

Recruiting Rank: #2. Gotta love it. The only other program that was ranked higher was Wisconsin. At least they're not in our conference.

this is an enjoyable read!!

impressive job bringing in a winning team at San Jose like that (I'm betting the RB transfer helped turn that dismal offense around).

Surprised your Texas Class only had one 5 star (and still finished 2nd). were the rest 4 stars? (or how many 3's).

as a newbie to the game, would be curious to see a little of the game rating that makes up your commentary on the recruits. and even though I understand that you cannot comment on recruits until national signing day (unless you're my hero Lane Kiffin), I would like to see a few of your recruiting hints/tips (either separate or written into your story). The recruiting is insteresting, tough, and fun all at the same time. Don't see anyone just loading up on 5 stars like some popular video games. But I get discouraged when I had a guy who lists me as his top choice and only one offering him, only to see him sign with someone else the next week (especially if he visits me that week too -gee).

anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm liking the concept and what you have going on here.

this is an enjoyable read!!

impressive job bringing in a winning team at San Jose like that (I'm betting the RB transfer helped turn that dismal offense around).

Surprised your Texas Class only had one 5 star (and still finished 2nd). were the rest 4 stars? (or how many 3's).

as a newbie to the game, would be curious to see a little of the game rating that makes up your commentary on the recruits. and even though I understand that you cannot comment on recruits until national signing day (unless you're my hero Lane Kiffin), I would like to see a few of your recruiting hints/tips (either separate or written into your story). The recruiting is insteresting, tough, and fun all at the same time. Don't see anyone just loading up on 5 stars like some popular video games. But I get discouraged when I had a guy who lists me as his top choice and only one offering him, only to see him sign with someone else the next week (especially if he visits me that week too -gee).

anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm liking the concept and what you have going on here.

Thanks for the info, olympia. I'll definately try to get some of that into my next write up. Glad that you're enjoying read it. Hopefully, I'll be able to bring Coach Mack Brown and the people at Texas a nice glissening trophy :D.

I too was suprised that in the end, I only had one five star recruit. My recruiting service said I had three, but the final e-mail, which I went by, said the cornerback I got was the only one. The rest were four stars to go along with like five or six three stars (high threes, I might add).

2010-2011 Texas Football Season Review

Coach Mack Brown came out swinging for the fences, as expectations were high for the Horns. Getting things started, San Jose State, who I had just ditched to join the fine staff here in Austin. Admittedly, I wanted to see San Jose State do well this year, which they did (8-3 record), just not against us. Coach Brown and the boys sure took care of business, handing the Spartans their most lopsided defeat of the season, going down 37-6. Our guys were kicking on all cylanders. After the game, Coach Brown presented me with the game ball, knowing how important this win was to me.

Tennessee, the most heralded school on our non conference schedule, was up next for us to take on, at our house. The Vols put up a pretty good battle, leading us 16-14 at the half. Coach Brown though wouldn't be denied, willing and demanding more from his players, resulting in a 20-3 second half run, giving us the 34-17 win. We were on a roll, feeling pretty good about ourself. With little old Utah State coming up next, there wasn't much worry for us.

Scoring the first 10 points of the game, we had pretty much shot any confidence that Utah State had coming in. They did manage to get a late second quarter field goal, thus avoiding the shutout that Coach Brown wanted from the guys. Utah State recruits players though just like we do, so they have some pride in scoring against one of the premier programs in the nation. Still though, we had all the talent working for us, eventually pulling out a 40-3 win, heading into conference play with a perfect 3-0 mark.

Nebraska was our opening Big 12 opponent, a true major test for us. Ranked #21, the Cornhuskers were a team that had to be taken serious. It was a back and forth game, having the feeling that whoever had the ball last would probably win. After the first quarter, we were all knotted up at 7 and at the half, were still tied, this time at 10. The third quarter saw Nebraska kick a field goal on their first possession while we scored a touchdown on ours, the only points scored in the third quarter. Nebraska though was marching down as the third expired, giving them a first and 10 at our five. Two plays into the fourth quarter, Nebraska took the lead with a one yard scamper, thus putting us at our first deficet all year long. The defenses controlled much of the fourth quarter. Nebraska had the ball with just a minute and a half left, at their own 32. A handoff to the back was busted up by our d-line, creating what was probably the fumble of the year for us, giving us the bal at our own 36. We march it down to the five with just 20 seconds left, when we gave it to our tailback for a five yard score and a 24-20 win. Early on, that was surely the game of the year, probably in all of college football.

Our first true road test saw us go up against perenial powerhouse Oklahoma. The Sooners came in rearing and ready to go. We, on the other hand, we not and it showed. Oklahoma pushed the issue, jumping out to a early 10-0 lead. It seemed like whatever Coach Brown did, the guys could never get in a real rythem. Had it not been for a late touchdown, we would have been shutout for the first time all year. As it stood though, we were 4-1 after the 19-7 drubbing that Oklahoma gave us.

We were in a fowl mood when the Wildcats of Kansas State welcomed us to town. Once again though, the boys got off to a slow start, trailing 14-13 at the half. Coach Brown wasn't happy, letting the guys know what he thought of the last six quarters of football they had produced. The boys got the message loud and clear, coming out and hitting on all cycles. Our offense wasn't the productive, well oiled machine that we usually are, but our defense was lights out in the second half. We would eventually squeak out a 24-17 win, preserving what could still be a nice Big 12 season.

Texas Tech came to Austin the following week, leaving Coach Brown and the guys worried about their always potent spread offense. The guys practiced hard all week, focusing specifically on shutting down the pass. The result: a 37-0 drilling that we handed the Red Raiders. We scored in pretty much every way you can score. We had a passing touchdown, a rushing touchdown and returned a kick for six plus the extra point. Our offense was finally catching up to where our defense was playing all year long.

A couple of bye weeks went by and Coach Brown and the guys were back in the grind against a less then talented Baylor. Baylor just doesn't have the talent to keep up with the likes of us or Oklahoma. I'm not telling a lie when I say that Baylor just isn't in our class in terms of talent and coaching. At the half, we were up 31-0. It was pretty bad. Every which way, we were beating down Baylor.

Iowa State was up next. After the Baylor game, we were ready for a bit of a test. The Cyclones wouldn't help us out though. After Iowa State scored on their first possession, we scored 14 consective points, eventually leading at the half 14-10. Iowa State came out and got an early field goal, but from there, we scored the next 33 points in route to a 47-16 win. This wasn't as ugly as the Baylor game, but it wasn't far behind.

Coach Brown and the guys were next off to take on the Cowboys of Oklahoma State. Man, was this one a defensive battle. It really didn't matter what either team did, the endzone seemed like it was off limits. Neither team could muster up more then three points at a time. Our offense was non existant (so was theirs) but their defense was just better then our today. Scoring three instead of seven is never good. We weren't able to capitalize when the time was right. Final score, Oklahoma State: 15, Texas: 9. Not a single touchdown. Not one. We should have won this one. If we would have, we probably get into the Big 12 championship.

The final regular season game of the year pit us against Texas A&M. A&M needed a victory to get bowl eligable, we were basically playing for the best bowl game possible since we had no chance of catching Oklahoma for the Big 12 championship berth. We came out and really gave A&M a punch in the mouth, holding the Aggie offense to just 20 first half yards. Had it not been for a fumble recovery that was taken back for a touchdown, A&M would have been shut out in the first half. The second half though, Coach Brown wanted a shutout and got it. A&M couldn't do anything right offensively. We eventually pulled out a 34-7 win, thus earning a 9-2 record. If it weren't for the Oklahoma State game, we would have been in the Big 12 championship game. Alas though, it wasn't to be. Oh well.

We got an invite to the Holiday Bowl, to take on #11 ranked Oregon. This was a high powered game, a lot of hard hitting and fast scoring. At times, the offenses were clicking and other times, the defenses were taking over. Our offense though was to much for the Ducks to handle down the stretch, giving us a 30-20 win. It was a perfect way to end the year. We finished the year with a 10-2 record, beat a really good team in a nice bowl game. Coach Brown and company is always striving for the ultimate prize though, so I know what I have to do. It's time to get to work.

Big 12 Standings

North Division
Team            Conference Record  Overall Record
Missouri        8-0                12-1
Colorado        7-1                12-1
Nebraska        5-3                8-4
Iowa State      2-6                2-9
Kansas State    2-6                3-8
Kansas          1-7                2-8

South Division
Team            Conference Record  Overall Record
Oklahoma        6-2                9-4
Texas           6-2                10-2
Oklahoma State  4-4                7-5
Texas A&M       3-5                5-6
Texas Tech      2-6                4-7
Baylor          2-6                3-8

--- Big 12 Bowl Games ---

Holiday Bowl: #9 Texas def #11 Oregon (30-20)

Alamo Bowl: Minnesota def Nebraska (54-30)

Independence Bowl: Oklahoma State def Auburn (20-19)

Cotton Bowl: #15 Oklahoma def #18 Mississippi (41-16)

Sugar Bowl (National Championship): #1 Colorado def #5 Missouri (22-9)

Texas Award Winners

-- All American First Team --

RB: Dave Krager (SR)

-- All American Second Team --

OT: Doug Biletnikoff (SR)

-- First Team Big 12 --

RB: Dave Krager (SR)

OT: Doug Biletnikoff (SR)

LB: Ronnie Whitehead (JR)

-- Second Team Big 12 --

TE: Max Mason (JR)

CB: Anthony Lynch (SR)

SS: Bubba Jackson (SR)

-- Third Team Big 12 --

K: Jerald Wilson (SO)

DE: Joe Johnson (SR)

Texas Top Players

Player            Position  Year  Stats
Lynn Burr         QB        SO    63%, 2272 yards, 13 TD, 3 INT, 51 rushes, 324 yards
Dan Plummer       QB        SR    61.2%, 244 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 23 rushes, 178 yards, 1 TD
Dave Krager       RB        SR    440 rushes, 1937 yards, 16 TD, 26 catches, 467 yards, 4 TD
Jamaal Buckman    RB        SO    22 rushes, 89 yards, 40 catches, 469 yards, 1 TD
Martin Tillman    FB        SR    14 rushes, 80 yards, 11 catches, 124 yards, 1 TD
Akil Lindsey      WR        JR    42 catches, 638 yards, 4 TD
Max Mason         TE        JR    26 catches, 405 yards, 2 TD
Aaron Davis       WR        SO    8 catches, 67 yards, 2 TD, 30 returns, 330 yards, 1 TD
Terrelle Franks   TE        FR    5 catches, 41 yards, 1 TD
Ronnie Whitehead  MLB       JR    104 tackles, 6 sacks, 8 INT, 1 TD
Bubba Jackson     SS        SR    79 tackles, 5 INT, 1 TD
Marcus Hanson     OLB       JR    72 tackles, 2 sacks
Anthony Lynch     CB        SR    42 tackles, 12 PD, 3 INT
Joe Johnson       DE        SR    30 tackles, 10 sacks
Greg Goodwin      CB        FR    27 tackles, 15 PD, 1 INT
Frank Bailey      DE        SO    23 tackles, 6 sacks
Chris Roberts     FS        SO    23 tackles, 1 INT
Jim Tuiasosopo    FS        FR    22 tackles, 2 INT
Jermaine Hudson   OLB       FR    18 tackles
Warren Horn       SS        SO    18 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT
John Sinclair     DT        SR    10 tackles, 2 sacks
Jackie Taylor     DT        SR    10 tackles, 4 sacks
Lawyer Maxson     OLB       FR    9 tackles
Jamaal Hopson     DT        SR    9 tackles, 1 sack
Corey Williams    DE        FR    9 tackles, 1 sack
Gerald Quinn      DT        FR    2 tackles, 1 sack

We're gonna lose a couple of our stud players next year in Dave Krager, Bubba Jackson, Doug Biletnikoff and Anthony Lynch. We've also got a lot of good players coming back, although I'm not sure if Whitehead will test the waters and enter the draft. What's even more encouraging is that the majority of the players that I brought in last years recruiting class was redshirted this year. I know there will probably be a couple of transfers, but with what we've got coming back, I like where we're at.

Final Top 25 Poll

Team                  Record
1: Colorado           12-1
2: Michigan           11-2
3: Florida State      10-2
4: Notre Dame         10-2
5: Missouri           12-1
6: Washington         9-3
7: TCU                11-1
8: Florida            9-3
9: Texas              10-2
10: Pitt              10-2
11: Oregon            8-4
12: Clemson           10-3
13: UCLA              9-3
14: Wisconsin         9-3
15: Oklahoma          9-4
16: LSU               10-3
17: Fresno State      10-2
18: Mississippi       8-4
19: Purdue            8-4
20: Miami             8-4
21: Oregon State      8-4
22: Washington State  8-4
23: Utah              9-3
24: Alabama           8-4
25: Miss State        8-4

--- Recruiting ---

We've got a few holes to fill, but I'm confident that I can fill out the roster like Coach Brown needs. We've got a lot of talent coming back though, so a lot of the kids that I'm gonna bring in are gonna be redshirted. We're one of the few programs in the nation that have that luxury I guess.

I'm gonna try a little something different though with recruiting this time. I'm not gonna directly talk about the prospects I'm gonna go after, yet put in little blurbs and tidbits on the guys (ala how ESPN does it). It's just something to spice up the diary.

Transfer

Howard Moosebar, the four star ILB, transfered from us and decided to go to Mississippi State. This is a really big get for the Bulldogs. Moosebar is a true talent that is gonna do great things for them. He was caught in a numbers game here, wanting more playing time that we could offer. Coach Brown and I offered him our blessings and hope he does well, unless he faces us that is.

So, I'm saving the game after the second week of recruiting when my computer crashes, thus corrupting my file. Uhhhhhh. Sometimes, I hate technology.

What I have decided to do though is I have the rosters saved so I'll just sim the season again and pick up with recruiting. I know the record won't be the same, but I know what prestige I was at so I'll just do it this way.

Ahhhhhhh.

In a wierd quirk, we finished with the exact same record as when the save went down. We even went to the same bowl, winning it of course. It's almost like the crash didn't happen.

Cotton Mitchell, the four star running back we got last year, decided to transfer instead of Moosebar. Not sure what to think about that, since we're gonna be thin in both positions. Oh well, it'll be fun to build back up.

Recruiting: Week 3

[b]5 star Quarterback picks Horns[/b]

Harold Cooper (San Antonio / Fox Tech) will continue his football career playing for Coach Mack Brown and the Texas Longhorns.  

Cooper, the seventh ranked quarterback and 16th ranked player in the nation, selected Texas over offers from Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Colorado and Missouri.

Cooper, an all state quarterback in Texas, completed 63% of his passes for 3405 yards and 19 touchdowns.  

ESPN said, "Cooper has a chance to come in and be a player that contributes to the Longhorns right away.  Coach Mack Brown and company continue to keep the elite players in Texas at home.  Cooper should be a good one for for years to come."

Cooper is the first pledge for Texas.

[b]Bell rings for Horns[/b]

A 6'5, 254 pound defensive end, Richard Bell of Pasadena, Texas, has pledged for the 2011 Texas Longhorns recruiting class.

Bell, a four star recruit, was offered by Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa and Colorado before deciding to go with Texas.

His senior year, Bell recorded 59 tackles, 14 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, three interceptions and three forced fumbles.

Bell gives Texas their second committ.

[b]Smith makes the call[/b]

Five star lineman Pat Smith (Santa Fe / Sanfa Fe) has given his pledge to the Texas Longhorns.

Smith had been hearing from Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, USC and Michigan.

Smith, an All-American selection, is ranked as the second overall offensive tackle in the nation.

"I was really impressed with the way the coaching staff went about there business,"  Smith said.  "I'm a Texas boy.  I grew up a Longhorn fan.  How can you not like getting an oppurtunity to play for your childhood team."

With Smith's pledge, that gives Texas three committed players.

[b]Texas dips into South Dakota for ILB[/b]

Coach Mack Brown went into Rapid City, South Dakota to find 6'0, 229 pound Tom Folsom.

Folsum had written offers from Iowa, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Folsom, an all state selection and All-American inside linebacker selection, had a monster senior year,  recording 83 tackles, nine sacks, 15 tackles for loss, five pass deflections, four interceptions and three forced fumbles.  

ESPN said, "Folsom is a big time get for Texas and Mack Brown.  He's the number one inside linebacker and 15th ranked player in the nation.  Not only is he a quality player, but he's a quality young man, never getting into trouble outside of the field."

Folsom is Texas' fourth pledge.

[b]DeLamielleure picks LSU[/b]

Five star defensive end Louis DeLamielleure has committed to play for the LSU Tigers.

DeLamielleure had written offers from Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and UCLA.

For South Planatation (South Planatation, Florida), DeLamielleure had 75 tackles, 16 sacks and 19 tackles for loss.

DeLamielleure is LSU's first pledge.

[b]Georgia picks up star in-state linebacker[/b]

The Georgia Bulldogs have picked up a committ from five star linebacker Ernie Rembert (Eatonton, Purnam County). 

Rembert, the number two ranked inside linebacker, picked the instate Bulldogs over the likes of Texas, Florida, USC, Miami and Florida State.

"Georgia got a good one in Rembert", ESPN said.  "He's an allstate selection and a real difference maker.  Georgia got a good one."

This pledge give Georgia their first pledge.

[b]Oregon State pulls in California Safety[/b]

Derrick Smith (Colton / Colton) has given his pledge to the Oregon State Beavers.

Smith had offers from UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Stanford among others.

A five star safety, Smith had a good senior year, getting 65 tackles, six sacks and four interceptions.

Smith is Oregon States first pledge.

[b]Bolden says yes to Texas[/b]

Wayne Bolden (Eden / Eden), a five star defensive tackle, has given his pledge to Texas.

Bolden was getting attention from the likes of Colorado, Cal, Florida, Florida State and Ohio State among others.

Ranked as the fourth overall defensive tackle in the nation, Bolden produced 61 tackles, 21 sacks, 13 tackles for loss and three interceptions.

ESPN said, " Bolden will fit in nicely with the daunted Texas defense.  He is that pure run stopper that every team needs.  From the get go, he's got a chance to produce on the defensive line."

Bolden is the Longhorns' fifth pledge.

[b]Texas stays hot with Scott pledge[/b]

Jim Scott (Fairfield / Fairfield), the second offensive tackle the Longhorns have been able to bring in, has given his pledge to the 2011 Texas recruiting class.

Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa and Iowa State were in the running for the Scott.

Scott is not only a  all-state player, but also a model student in the classroom, holding a 3.4 GPA.

Scott is Texas' sixth pledge.

[b]In-state receiver picks Texas[/b]

A 5'10, 187 pound wideout, Ron Dunbar (Houston / North Shore), has committed to the Longhorns of Texas.

Colorado, Purdue and Nebraska had written offers to Dunbar.

Ranked as a four star prospect, Dunbar had a monster senior year, catching 45 passes for 944 yards with eight touchdowns.

"I'm happy to get the process over early on", Dunbar said with a smile.  "I've always liked Texas.  They're the state school, the school all little boys want to play for growing up in the state of Texas.  Coach Brown is a legend.  I'm happy to get the oppurtunity to learn under him for the next four years".

Dunbar is Texas' seventh committment.

[b]Texas A&M hauls in big catch[/b]

Jimmi Rathman (San Antonio / Texas Military Institute) has given his pledge to Texas A&M.

Rathman, a four star defensive tackle, had written offers from Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas among others.

Rathman, an all-state selection, had 52 tackles, 16 sacks and 15 tackles for loss his senior year.

Rathman is the first pledge for A&M.

Nice write-ups. and super season.

hate the crashes.. Happened in my first attempt too. Had just completed the season (sim) and working on my recruits when the game went down - oops forgot to save it.

I redid the season. Came out with a better record but not as good a team. Ended up winning the SEC east because the 2 better teams flopped (UGA played for the national title in the season that died). As a result, we got to Atlanta and got shelled by a superior LSU team. Funny how when I was 3rd in the east I was ranked in top 20. But winning the east, I wasn't ranked at all. debating on whether I want to invest the time to write up a diary like you are doing.

Keep up the good work - even if you are recruiting for the "wrong UT" ;-)

Archived