Is there a way to "temper" a match rating?

I've often seen people who complained about the repetitive booking penalty rebutted with the argument of good booking. One of the examples used is to have the first match not be so good and have the progressively better. I get that and don't have a problem with the penalty in any event.

What I am curious about, though, is there a way to keep a match's rating lower? I've tried that with cheap finishes and such and still have got high ratings on matches. I was just curious if there was a way to do this?

Work the Crowd. It accomplished that, does it not? Throw the match on the undercard, assign poor announcers, your worst ref (or a non-ref), bad road agent, etc. There is ways to do it. Perhaps not the most realistic, but it certainly would help in regards to the repetitive booking penalty.

One way to temper a match is to put the workers in a match type that plays to their weaknesses instead of their strengths. Use hardcore matches for your technicians with low hardcore stats, put your one dimensional brawlers in submission matches, etc.

Yep, that's the easiest way to do it. Bigpapa's right too. Guest referees can tank a match rating, as can bad announcers. But nothing would be worse than a House of Fun match with Marat Khoklov vs Bruce the Giant. :p

Yep, that's the easiest way to do it. Bigpapa's right too. Guest referees can tank a match rating, as can bad announcers. But nothing would be worse than a House of Fun match with Marat Khoklov vs Bruce the Giant. :p

And now I've got an weird image running in my head : Khoklov vs Bruce, in a Sin City Super Soaker Match! It's either totally lame or pure comedy gold, your choice. ;)

*Facepalm* It's not that hard. Just think of the ways you could make a match worse. Play to the workers weaknesses. Put on worse announcers, color commentators, referees, and/or road agents. Use the road agent notes that usually lower the rating of the match.

The game can make it hard to have good matches. It's not much harder to push it to being worse.

I think my point is being lost. I'm not trying to go out and have an awful match. And putting a technician in a hardcore match for no reason is the opposite of what the repetitive booking penalty is about...because that's really bad booking.

I was just wondering if it was possible to have guys go out there and not have the best possible match they could have. Without pulling that stunt booking. For example, Flair and Steamboat are going to have a TV match to set up a house show run. I may want to do four matches in the series instead of three so, as booker, I say "Hey guys, go out and give me 12 minutes. Solid but don't tear the house down" because that match is more set up than "match".

I ended up making some "match style angles" as well, like an impromptu match where the ****y heel calls the young rookie into the ring for an unofficial match and gets upset.

Archived