PS3 & 1080 Monitor

weidt

Hey peeps... anyone using a PS3 on a 1920x1080 LCD monitor?

I bought the Dell ST2410 24" Full HD Widescreen Monitor recently on sale and received it today. First thing I did was connect my PC (DVI) and PS3 (HDMI) to it. Looks amazing on PC and definitely cleaner and sharper than my previous 22" 1680x1040 Acer. Switch to my PS3, set display to cover 720p, 1080i and 1080p, and notice a slight improvement to the menus from 720p to 1080p.

I start up Fight Night Round 4, a 1080p supported game, and wow... disappointed. Immediately notice all the text is horribly pixelated. Start a fight and all the graphics look a bit pixelated and a tad blurry. The UFC Undisputed demo looked even worse.

Sure, I wasn't expecting any drastic improvement from 720 to 1080, but definitely didn't expect it to look worse! So I disabled 1080 and loaded Fight Night at 720p and looks as good as it did on my Acer.

Whats up with this? I must admit I am a PS3 and console newb since I only got the PS3 Slim a couple months ago. The last time I owned a console was the original Playstation long ago, and the original NES before that.

Its not a huge deal to stick with 720p on the PS3. I still have a higher PC resolution, slightly bigger screen and I can easily switch between the DVI and HDMI sources with a click on a button (the Acer had just a DVI port so I was swapping cables back and forth).

Not that it matters now, but out of curiousity, would a 23" Samsung HDTV Monitor have been better? Its basically a HDTV with DVI and VGA ports. I thought of that as well, but it was an extra $80 and I had no need for tv capabilities so didn't seem worth it.

Thanks.

Archived