1995: War of The Worlds

This is a mod that starts at the very beginning of The Monday Night Wars between WCW and WWF, starting in september 1995.

It currently features, amongst other things:

1478 workers

397 tag teams

77 promotions

545 alter egos

And much more!

The mod is built upon BurningHamster's 1996 The War Begins mod, so many thanks to him for being a good sport and letting me use his awesome data. :)

The mod is a work in progress at its' first release, so it may have some bugs and unwanted features. Many improvements can certainly still be made. Suggestions and ideas are welcome. New workers is one of the things I'm always looking to add.

Download link:

http://www.slargos.se/Hive/TEW/WoTW_102.exe

Graphics pack download link:

http://www.slargos.se/Hive/TEW/WoTW_gfx.exe

So to those who love The Monday Night Wars as much as I do and wish to take part in it from the very beginning... enjoy. :)

Just went through the database. It looks good so far. Excellent selection of new promotions, and very thourough Hall of Immortals. I'm not sure if about the potential settings for some of the older guys. It may not matter. I'm not sure how the game recognizes that, as far as a cap or anything.

-Just started a game with ECW and Lady Alexandra is on the roster, but Damien Kane is not.

-The only active teams in ECW are Dances with Dudley/Dudley Dudley and Raven/Richards. No Public Enemy, Pitbulls, Gangstas, etc... Might make a difference how it is simmed while playing other feds.

-Jeff Bradley should be under contract as Dudley Dudley

-Good job on relationships, though it seems a lot from ECW are missing. There are also a ton that would not have been active in 1995, such as CM Punk/Samoa Joe, although they don't go into effect until they enter the game world, so I guess it isn't a big deal.

-Wasn't WWF Superstars a "B" show at this point?

-Was ECW on in Florida at this time?

-John Kronus and New Jack had never teamed at this point, but have a team together and experience in the database. Same with Kane/Undertaker and DX.... WWF activates these teams at their first show.

-Pretty sure Chris Benoit was in WCW at this time in the Four Horsemen, who should be active.

-The WWF European title should be inactive and the Intercontinental title should be midcard.

-Joel Gertner's pic is really Joey Styles

-Lori Fullington should be a non-wrestler.

-Tammy Sytch is set to be a occasional wrestler; should just be manager/personality.

-USWA wasn't really a child company for WWF, if I remember correctly. I think they should have a working agreement.

Thanks for the mod, it looks great. I'll let you know if I catch anything else.

Just went through the database. It looks good so far. Excellent selection of new promotions, and very thourough Hall of Immortals. I'm not sure if about the potential settings for some of the older guys. It may not matter. I'm not sure how the game recognizes that, as far as a cap or anything.

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look at all your points and address them best as I can. :)

Regarding potential for old workers, I don't think it's actually used... but like with potential for all other workers, it's highly subjective. I am though always open to a debate if there are people you in particular think I went wrong with.

-Just started a game with ECW and Lady Alexandra is on the roster, but Damien Kane is not.

Good find. I'm unsure when they actually joined ECW, but since Damien Kane did not have a match untill well into 1996, I'll remove his wife as well instead of adding him.

-The only active teams in ECW are Dances with Dudley/Dudley Dudley and Raven/Richards. No Public Enemy, Pitbulls, Gangstas, etc... Might make a difference how it is simmed while playing other feds.

Yeah this annoys me as well, and is the case for several other promotions. The reason for this is that those tag teams are not ECW-specific (but instead set to 'none' in the promotion field in the editor), meaning that if you are playing the promotion, they will not show up (which I think they should and hope is fixed for TEW 2010). However, I think the AI will still use them... it's just that you as a player will have to add them manually iirc.

-Jeff Bradley should be under contract as Dudley Dudley

Yeah I somehow forgot to change his name. Fixed.

-Good job on relationships, though it seems a lot from ECW are missing. There are also a ton that would not have been active in 1995, such as CM Punk/Samoa Joe, although they don't go into effect until they enter the game world, so I guess it isn't a big deal.

I'm actually unsure about keeping those that does not exist at this time. I merely added them to give more substance to some of the not-yet-debuted workers. But it's debateable for sure.

-Wasn't WWF Superstars a "B" show at this point?

Yes, it was. I made it an "A" show for balance reasons vs. WCW. But maybe I should just change WCW Saturday Night to a "B" show instead, which it essentially became anyway. Thoughts?

-Was ECW on in Florida at this time?

I have no idea, frankly.

-John Kronus and New Jack had never teamed at this point, but have a team together and experience in the database. Same with Kane/Undertaker and DX.... WWF activates these teams at their first show.

Actually, while the teams are there - I have set them to be inactive and have given them no experience. It bugs me a lot that the AI ignores those facts and still activates them on their first shows, like you said, instead of just using their many tag teams who are actually active and have experience.

But the reason I added them is that I'd still rather see a future real life team like DX team up prematurely then having the AI throw together and Bret Hart and The Brooklyn Brawler and calling them The Banjo Busters (note: this given example never actually happened for me, I exaggerated for effect). I really appreciate seeing the AI use real tag teams, which is why I have put so much emphasis on adding a lot of them. But I agree that it's annoying, and I'd really wish that it would be tweaked.

-Pretty sure Chris Benoit was in WCW at this time in the Four Horsemen, who should be active.

While he may have had a contract with them, he hadn't debuted for them yet - and The Four Horsemen weren't reformed untill 1 or 2 months later. I chose to make him a free agent instead of giving him the contract he may or may not already have had because it gives the people wanting to play WCW but aren't comfortable using Chris Benoit due to RL reasons a way out.

-The WWF European title should be inactive and the Intercontinental title should be midcard.

I know that the European title wasn't yet active by this point, but I made it active to prevent the WWF from creating some random midcard title instead of it on their first show (which they otherwise will). Might as well have a real title then.

Whether the Intercontinental title and US title should be midcard or main event can, like many other things, be debated. IRL, they weren't main event... but I feel that the term 'main event' ingame encompass more workers than IRL - and includes a lot of RL upper midcarders as well. If you look at some of the people who held these two titles around this time, like Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Jeff Jarrett or IC and Sting (who feuded with Ric Flair for it) and Vader for the USC, I'd definately not call those midcarders... and keep in mind that those two belts had a LOT more prestige back then than they do now...

But I agree that making them main event is not a perfect solution. It is, however, imo a better solution than making them midcard and seeing people like Alex Wright and Kama win them.

-Joel Gertner's pic is really Joey Styles

Hmm you're right. Don't know how that happened.

-Lori Fullington should be a non-wrestler.

You're right.

-Tammy Sytch is set to be a occasional wrestler; should just be manager/personality.

Right again.

-USWA wasn't really a child company for WWF, if I remember correctly. I think they should have a working agreement.

They were probably a mix between the two, I'd say... but it's true that they weren't a full-fledged child company of the WWF. They did send people there to train, though... any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for the mod, it looks great. I'll let you know if I catch anything else.

Thanks for the input, I hope you enjoy it. :)

-I agree with your point about the IC title. but the reason I caught it was because the AI created another championship called "WWF Intercontinental." I guess to balance the number of Main Event and Midcard titles. So WWF had the World, Tag Team, KOTR, European, and 2 Intercontinental titles.

-I always thought WWF really had a true talent trade, sending people like Bret and Owen, Razor, Mabel down there more as attractions, than to actually get rid of ring rust. If some of USWA or Smokey Mountain's guys did well, then they would get try-outs or spots in WWF, ie D-Lo, PG-13, etc.... And I remember Smokey sending the Rock n Roll express up for a few WWF shows, so I agree that it was more a feeder league, in that if their guys improved, they would get a shot in WWF, not really WWF sending guys there to train.

-I guess I agree with you as far as the relationships go, and it doesnt really make an impact until much later in the game.

-I can't find when ECW started running on Florida TV, but I can find results for house shows down there. I believe they started doing that after their TV aired, so I would go ahead and add Hardcore TV to the Sunshine network, Graveyard Friday nights.

-According to wikipedia:

"In 1995, Wrestling Challenge was rechristiened simply Challenge and – after the July 26, 1995 taping of the show – became simply a weekly highlight show hosted by Dok Hendrix; he was assisted at times by Mr. Perfect. The show ended in early 1997." I would remove Challenge completely. Also Superstars was not on USA at this time, it was syndicated and aired sydicated in Canada also. I would also make this a "B" show, as it was not nearly as important as it was before the premiere of RAW.

-Jean Pierre Lefiette has the wrong pic also. I think that is Shawn Stasiak.

-Madusa should be Alundra Blayze in WWF.

-I agree with your point about the IC title. but the reason I caught it was because the AI created another championship called "WWF Intercontinental." I guess to balance the number of Main Event and Midcard titles. So WWF had the World, Tag Team, KOTR, European, and 2 Intercontinental titles.

Weird... is the created title a low prestige title instead of midcard?

-I always thought WWF really had a true talent trade, sending people like Bret and Owen, Razor, Mabel down there more as attractions, than to actually get rid of ring rust. If some of USWA or Smokey Mountain's guys did well, then they would get try-outs or spots in WWF, ie D-Lo, PG-13, etc.... And I remember Smokey sending the Rock n Roll express up for a few WWF shows, so I agree that it was more a feeder league, in that if their guys improved, they would get a shot in WWF, not really WWF sending guys there to train.

Yeah I'll change it to a working agreement instead. Neither solution is capable of illustrating the agreement they had back then, but working agreement is perhaps the better choice. I'll change it.

-I guess I agree with you as far as the relationships go, and it doesnt really make an impact until much later in the game.

I'll keep them at least for now.

-I can't find when ECW started running on Florida TV, but I can find results for house shows down there. I believe they started doing that after their TV aired, so I would go ahead and add Hardcore TV to the Sunshine network, Graveyard Friday nights.

I'll take your word for that and add it. :)

-According to wikipedia:

"In 1995, Wrestling Challenge was rechristiened simply Challenge and – after the July 26, 1995 taping of the show – became simply a weekly highlight show hosted by Dok Hendrix; he was assisted at times by Mr. Perfect. The show ended in early 1997." I would remove Challenge completely. Also Superstars was not on USA at this time, it was syndicated and aired sydicated in Canada also. I would also make this a "B" show, as it was not nearly as important as it was before the premiere of RAW.

Hmm... so one "A" show and one "B" show? Should I perhaps remove WCW Main Event as well, making Saturday Night a "B" show? Having more than one "B" show doesn't make much sense imo... especially not at this time.

If not on USA, where should Superstars be? My knowledge on American tv stations and their history is not stellar... :D

-Jean Pierre Lefiette has the wrong pic also. I think that is Shawn Stasiak.

Are you sure? I just checked his wikipedia page, which had the same guy as in the photo I used... :confused:

-Madusa should be Alundra Blayze in WWF.

Indeed, fixed.

Thanks again for the inputs. :)

That actually may be Jean Pierre Lafitte. I guess he has DRASTICALLY changed his appearance from how he looked back then. I would have WWF and WCW with one A show and one B show. Saturday Night didnt really have much going on after the debut of Nitro. I would change Superstars to air on Medium US Syndication.

That actually may be Jean Pierre Lafitte. I guess he has DRASTICALLY changed his appearance from how he looked back then. I would have WWF and WCW with one A show and one B show. Saturday Night didnt really have much going on after the debut of Nitro. I would change Superstars to air on Medium US Syndication.

Yeah I didn't bother to find age-specific pics for everyone... this mod was a huge undertaking already, so I took the easy road with some of the pics... :o

Though I did go out of my way trying to find at least one pic for each worker, whenever possible.

I have made the TV changes, thanks.

Btw, Wrestling Challenge is not aired in the mod... it's off the air, and I will now do the same for Main Event (which was still showing, but is irrelevant now that Saturday Night is a "B" show). I just included it, along with Smackdown and Thunder, so that if they are to expand with new shows, they'll (hopefully) use those real ones instead of making up new ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
First post updated with download links to what will likely be the final version of my mod for TEW 2008. Some new workers and tag teams has been added as well as some tweaks here and there. The gfx file has been updated as well.

• 1 year later...

Archived