NYCW- Going Places

Tuesday Week 4, November2005 - Another Tuesday with TCW

I turned off my TV. I had just finished watching TCW’s “Total Wrestling” on East Coast Today. In my eyes, they were the best. Better than SWF, better than USPW, better than BHOTWG, even better than my own promotion DAVE Why, I wasn’t sure. Maybe it was their style. SWF had always been too edgy for me. The HGC never appealed to me. J.K. Stallings infuriated me. Probably just jealousy. I had dreamed about owning my own federation. Anyway, everyone knows the story. Cornell left the SWF, bought HGC, changed the name and TCW was born. That’s enough for tonight. The main event had annoyed me, Cornell beating RDJ again. Anyway, I need to get to sleep. I have the opportunity of a lifetime tomorrow, at 10 am, in New York.

Wednesday Week 3, December 2005 - Day of Reckoning

My express train from Pittsburgh pulled in Grand Central at 9:15, leaving me 45 minutes to get across town, to New York City Wrestling’s HQ. I had an interview, for the position of Head Booker. They had run an ad in the New York Post when I was in town visiting my buddies; and they said I should go for it. They were all wrestling outsiders, but they were avid fans. Admittedly, they knew more about SWF and TCW than lowly NYCW, as did I, but they were excited in the idea none the less. Especially my best friend. He was a college football star, until a back injury ended his NFL dreams. His name was Des Davids, and he said he was interested in becoming a wrestler.

After making it across town quickly despite the hard, bitter cold, I arrived at the HQ fifteen minutes early, signed in and took my seat. I glanced round at the other applicants. I recognized them all immediately. There was Shane Sneer, the former performer turned manager, and he looked at me with a cynical look. Opposite him was Larry Wood, the massive Canadian whose beard looked bigger than ever. He too looked at me with disdain. Finally, there was Farrah Hesketh, the versatile women’s worker who did everything needed of her. Formidable opposition to say the least. I picked up the newspaper lying next to me. I went straight to the best part of any paper, the sports section; the headline read “GIANTS BEAT EAGLES, WIN NFC EAST” The best news I could have received. Despite living in Steeler Nation, I was an avid G-Man. Seeing Philly get beat made it even sweeter. My nerves were getting the better of me know, I went for a breath of fresh air in the snow. Farrah came to me when I was clearing my head.

“Hey kid, don’t let those jerks get to you. They see you as a threat, don’t let them intimidate you”

“What about you?” I asked. “Don’t you see me as a threat?”

“Err… well…” she quietly said.

The rough weather forced me back inside. Wood had gone in for his meeting, Sneer was sat reading the paper. Larry Wood exited, looking extra-confident.

“I nailed that! Hell yeah!” he shouted. Sneer walked in calmly. The minutes seemed like hours as I ran through my notes. Sneer left, looking down. He slowly walked out of the headquarters, out into the busy street. I heard a gruff voice call from the office.

“Next!” It boomed. I pulled myself tomorrow, got a reassuring look fro Farrah, and walked in. This was my day of reckoning

“Sit down” the voice said. “Hi, err…. Crennel is it? Yes, Paul Crennel.” I saw the face of the man. It was none other than The Stomper, the owner of NYCW. I had done my homework. I knew he was a traditional kind of guy. I knew that he was getting closer to retirement. And I knew he needed a new Head Booker.

“So, what makes you think you can take my NYCW to the next level, son?”

“Well sir, I was thinking of moving away from the older stars we have, and focusing on younger talent, Joey Minnesota for example, and focus on bringing in new talent.” He looked quizzical. “Sir, I realize that your current main-event stars” are just that, stars and valuable assets to your business. But I feel the only way NYCW can expand in the long run is if we focus on bringing in and developing younger, fresher talent.”

Later on in the interview, Stomper seemed to be coming round. I had explained my love for the business, how we were to take the fight to the other US promotions, and why he should hire me. He looked impressed. At the end of the interview, with a smile, he said “We’ll be in touch.”

Friday Week 4 November 2005 - “New Message, From Des”

Those words had haunted me for the past 48 hours. I frantically answered the phone every time it rang, scaring the crap out of these pranksters in the process. My phone vibrated. “New Message, From Des” it said. He was asking if I had seen the front page of wrestlezone.com. I frantically tapped the address into my laptop. “Stomper invites Hesketh and Crennel back for interviews” Elated, I rang Des. I would be going to New York tomorrow.

Saturday Week 4 November 2005 - “Welcome back, son”

This time, there were only two. Me, an unknown, passionate impressive rookie, and the experienced, versatile, dependable Farrah Hesketh. Farrah got up for her interview. My hands were shaking, I knew this was it. The coffee I clutched calmed me down, but I was still on edge. After what seemed like an age, Farrah left the office. She gave me a wave, mouthing “Good luck.”

The voice boomed, “Crennel?”

“Welcome back, son.” He said. “How you feeling?”

“Never better” I lied.

“After much deliberation, we’ve decided to go with you Paul. Make us proud, take this company places!” I was overjoyed. “You start on Monday, good luck.”

After shaking his hand for far too long, I left the HQ, skipping down the stairs. I’m not usually that kind of guy, but I danced all the way to Grand Central.

Monday Week 1 December 2005 – “Hey Boss. Looking good”

Wow. My first day as Head Booker of a wrestling business. I called Des Davids as soon as I got on the train at Grand Central, he was overjoyed. My friendship with Des went way back. We both attended Syracuse University, he played football, and I studied as a lawyer. Somehow, we ended up being good friends, and it tore me to shreds to see him stretchered off the field in the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl Game. He had been rehabbing all year, and although he couldn’t play football, he could wrestle. He wanted to give it a go, he was born for physical competition, and maybe he would suit wrestling. On the phone, I told him, come to NY on Wednesday, I’d give him a go. After all, I had told Stomper that I wanted to get younger.

My first order of business was to bring Emma Extreme into my office. She was a hot commodity, quite literally, and I had heard rumblings that she was going to leave. She was already massively overworked, working for NYCW, DAVE and USPW. TCW were the favorites to sign her, on a written contract. I told her we wouldn’t stand in her way, and thanked her for her performances.

I had spent the weekend watching tapes of NYCW. I had concluded that the weak, “main-eventers” needed to go. Soon. I called American Buffalo, The Big Problem, Land Mass, Rodger Dodger and Marv Earnest. I explained to them all that after doing research, I had decided that they weren’t in my plans, and I planned to terminate their contracts. Fortunately, they were all on PPA contracts, it would cost nothing to release them. Damn shame. But I have to be ruthless if I want to succeed.

It was time to look for new talent. I had heard about a tag team up in MAW, Natural Storm. I wanted to add a young team to my ranks, so I gave Rip Chord a call to enquire. Needless to say, I was star struck.

“Hello, Mr. Chord? My name is Paul Crennel; I’m the new Head Booker for New York City Wrestling.”

“I know who you are”, a rough voice said.

“I thought I’d give you a call to ask about Natural Storm, Eddie Howard and D.C. Rayne”

“You mean my tag champs? They’re OK. They will develop. What, you want ‘em in NY?”

“Er yes, I was going to offer them a contract. Nothing exclusive, just a PPA.”

“Good idea. I suppose they’ll develop more in the city. Thanks kid, good luck” Chord hung up.

Wow. Just wow. I never dreamt I’d talk to the legendary Rip Chord, let alone he would give me some praise. All in all, not a bad first day, made some cuts, and I’m scheduled to meet with 4 new wrestlers, including Mexico’s next big thing, Champagne Lover.

As I left around 8pm, I bumped into Rock Downpour. His size really is surprising. I apologized quickly, to which he smiled and said

“Hey, Boss. Looking good. I heard you cut American Buffalo. Thank GOD. That guy sucked!”

Wednesday Week 1 December 2005 – http://www.nycw.com

http://www.nycw.com

New York City Wrestling are happy to announce the signings of two new wrestlers to the roster, Champagne Lover and Des Davids. We are confident both will add to the company in the ring and out of it. Also, NYCW would like to announce the release of The Masked Mauler. We thank him for his contributions over his stay in NYCW, but he wasn’t in new Head Booker Paul Crennel’s plans. NYCW wishes The Masked Mauler the best in his future endeavors.

After the company’s first press release since I took over, I am optimistic about my two new signings. Champagne Lover is a strong worker, who should fit in with our product, and Des Davids has a great look and all the potential in the world. They will both debut as Lower Midcarders

My PA sent me a link to MAW’s website, confirming they have made an offer to Joey Minnesota. Our agreement has already benefited each side. Their main eventers intrigue me. Our first show is entitled NYCW Rush Hour” and will take place in mid-January. The first agenda regarding the show is to crown a new NYCW Empire Champion after American Buffalo’s release. Talking of that title, I’m thinking of changing it to the NYCW World Championship, it just sounds better.

Archived