The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

I know it doesn't hit theaters till Friday, but seen a private screening of safe house we won tickets too this past sunday.

I liked it. I love Denzel, and Ryan Reynolds is great! They had some good chemistry. The storyline had some twists to it, the villain...surprised me.

Some of the camera works was low quality, but all in all ill be getting this on DVD when it comes out.

I want to see that one as well, even if Ryan Reynolds is in it. I have nothing against the guy but his movies tend to suck, but Denzel's movies are always great so he cancels Ryan out.

Has anyone had a chance to see The Woman in Black yet? I wanted to see it but instead I chose to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I had already watched the Swedish version) instead.

I want to see that one as well, even if Ryan Reynolds is in it. I have nothing against the guy but his movies tend to suck, but Denzel's movies are always great so he cancels Ryan out.

Has anyone had a chance to see The Woman in Black yet? I wanted to see it but instead I chose to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I had already watched the Swedish version) instead.

That's on my list to watch!

How was that movie? I've gotten mixed reviews...

That's on my list to watch!

How was that movie? I've gotten mixed reviews...

Which one the Swedish version or the American version?

The Swedish version was tough to follow because it was in subtitles and my vision is not what it used to be. Plus I hate it when they put white subtitles on white backgrounds be it white shirts or whatever.

Both versions were the same and I enjoyed both of them. I guess you have to find the subject matter interesting in order to enjoy it. There were some very graphic, cringe worthy scenes in it that I cannot talk about on here.

Which one the Swedish version or the American version?

The Swedish version was tough to follow because it was in subtitles and my vision is not what it used to be. Plus I hate it when they put white subtitles on white backgrounds be it white shirts or whatever.

Both versions were the same and I enjoyed both of them. I guess you have to find the subject matter interesting in order to enjoy it. There were some very graphic, cringe worthy scenes in it that I cannot talk about on here.

I've thought of watching the Swedish version because I love foreign films. :).

I want to read the book(s)? First, but I'm a long way from that. I'm working through A dance with Dragons, then it's off to the series of books The Golden Compass is based off, which I hope to see a second movie of. I enjoyed the first!

Guest Asaemon
I haven't seen the remake yet, but i've seen the Swedish movies (both the movie versions and the longer tv-versions). I enjoyed both the movies and the books. I've no idea of how available it is, but if you want to watch the original films, i would recommend to try to get the tv-version if it's available with subtitles.

I haven't seen the remake yet, but i've seen the Swedish movies (both the movie versions and the longer tv-versions). I enjoyed both the movies and the books. I've no idea of how available it is, but if you want to watch the original films, i would recommend to try to get the tv-version if it's available with subtitles.

I have the Swedish version on the computer, just haven't watched yet.

Van Wilder > Denzel's entire career.

Are you crazy?????????????????????

So I am on the fence about seeing Episode One in 3D. First off that was the worst Star Wars film by far and away. Also, I have given George Lucas enough of my money over the years he doesn't need my $15 to see his crappy movie in 3D.

With all that being said I probably will see the other five in 3D, heck I have already watched Jedi like 40 times since it first came out. I think the only movie that I have watched more than Jedi was the Godfather Part I.

First, Attack of the Clones is far worse than Phantom Menace.

Second, I know myself, and I know I'll end up going to see everyone of these movies in 3d. I can't help myself lol. Besides with as much money as I've already poured into this franchise, what's another $15.

I'm not seeing the prequels in 3d. I don't particularly enjoy 3D movies especially if they are longer than 90 minutes. I MAY decide to do the classic trilogy in 3D but I doubt it. The prick (Lucas) just took me for $100 for the damn blurays, and decided to go ahead and change the darn things even more in the process.

Now listen, I'm not one of those guys who hates remakes and special cuts. Especially since I have the originals. I don't need things to be EXACTLY like my childhood said it should.

However, I'm not going to reward the man for making bad decisions in film making.

And Denzel rules.

No, I just find Denzel annoyingly smug and overrated and think he has starred in too much self-important oscar bait. Ryan Reynolds starred in one movie I thought was a perfectly acceptable low brow college comedy and then banged Scarlet Johansson.

Ryan wins.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! lol out loud...!!!!???? :D;):rolleyes:

Scarlet is hot and I've seen most of her movies. Although, Denzel is still awesome to me so yeah...

Anyways, I just wanted to mention that I watched The Thing '11 On Demand this week and I actually thought it was done quite well. Also, ITS A PREQUEL so it actually sets up the original so that you could watch the 2011 version and then watch the 82 version almost seamlessly. Although, I'm sure at least one person on here saw the 82 version with Kurt Russell and even though the new one had MEW (Mary Elizabeth Winstead)

STILL Kurt Russell + flame flower + awesome soundtrack always wins!!!!

My vote: Rent The Thing '11 if your on the fence unless you don't like gory horror movies then nevermind my suggestion

Thrice I thought it was decent. I mean when they announced I wasn't into it. I'm such a huge fan of the original and I, in general, don't care for prequels. If star wars taught me anything, it's that the mystery of the character's background isn't a bad thing.

However, this one was decent. It wasn't just a bad rehash. It wasn't like ZOMG amazing or anything but an entertaining horror film for a nice weekend night.

OK,

So I took my wife to go see "Safe House" on Friday, now I have read the reviews and I have heard either people Hated it or Liked it. Now as far as everyone saying that that movie was "cliche" or anything like that, but you have to ask yourself, all plot lines in the movies have been done to death. Now I am a HUGE Denzel Washington fan and the only "bad" movie that he was in was "Virtuousity" back in the 90's and even then it wasnt that bad. But when Washington is typed casted as a Bad Ass (whether a Blind Swordsman in the Post Apocalypse, or a Dirty Cop or a Burned out Rogue CIA Agent) he makes it work, every role, he makes it work, and he did the same for this one. And whats awesome, without spoiling the movie, you THINK that hes the villain but at the end, you watch the credits, and you ask yourself, WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPEND?

All in all the pairing with RR. (and yes I agree Van Wilder is awesome, but pales when it compares to DW. SORRY Hammer) I think this movie is a great movie being along the lines or Man on Fire or Training Day. If you watch this movie I think you will enjoy it.

I could be wrong, But I SERIOUSLY Doubt it.

(and yes I agree Van Wilder is awesome, but pales when it compares to DW. SORRY Hammer)

You should be sorry for having opinions that differ from mine, or Hammer's. :p

Hey, you like what you like. A lot of people like Denzel, personally he just never resonated with me. Plus my opinions on movies are pretty different from most, studying film gives you a different perspective on some things, which is both good and bad.

Oh and I think I remember kind of liking Virtuosity actually. I miss how the 90s was all about the evils of virtual reality.

Thrice I thought it was decent. I mean when they announced I wasn't into it. I'm such a huge fan of the original and I, in general, don't care for prequels. If star wars taught me anything, it's that the mystery of the character's background isn't a bad thing.

However, this one was decent. It wasn't just a bad rehash. It wasn't like ZOMG amazing or anything but an entertaining horror film for a nice weekend night.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say--that it was an entertaining flick--but I was up late last night and it was not a good decision to drink an energy drink past midnight. Ha... anyways bigt, I do like what you said in the bold part of your post above: the mystery is always exciting and the audience doesn't always need to know everything. I learned that on my way through to get my creative writing degree at a really high level especially in showing more and letting the character's reveal things through dialogue.

Making great dialogue and showing a character threw action is kind of a lost art but I know it's still alive and well. One last thought, I do remember hearing that Carrie Fischer doctors screenplays and has helped some great movies with dialogue and stuff. She's incredibly talented in many ways. I don't know why I added that but it's kind of cool to hear about that kind of stuff.

Oh and I think I remember kind of liking Virtuosity actually. I miss how the 90s was all about the evils of virtual reality.

...like The Lawnmower Man?! That movie rules even though I haven't seen it in a long time. Also, I was eight years old when it came out so I remember being confused while watching it with my brother... I was wondering when a crazy "lawnmower man" was actually going to pop out and start going crazy!

I LOVED Lawnmower Man. Also, all those movies about a serial killer dying during execution and possessing electronics...I loved all of them.

Especially this one I can't remember the title of. The killer lured this kid into a virtual reality game to try and kill him and take possession of his body I think? I used to watch it every weekend. There was one scene where the killer almost traps someone under a swimming pool cover.

I think it was Ghost in the Machine, but there are so many movies like that I haven't been able to track it down.

There was another one where a ghost was possessing the electrical system of a skyscraper. I don't remember much about that one, but I remember watching it at least once.

Especially this one I can't remember the title of. The killer lured this kid into a virtual reality game to try and kill him and take possession of his body I think? I used to watch it every weekend. There was one scene where the killer almost traps someone under a swimming pool cover.

I think it was Ghost in the Machine, but there are so many movies like that I haven't been able to track it down.

Yeah, pretty sure it was Ghost in the Machine. Haven't seen that for ages.

The skyscraper one has me drawing a blank though. Never heard of that one but I should look into it.

I LOVED Lawnmower Man. Also, all those movies about a serial killer dying during execution and possessing electronics...I loved all of them.

There was another one where a ghost was possessing the electrical system of a skyscraper. I don't remember much about that one, but I remember watching it at least once.

I figured you must have had a fondness for The Lawnmower Man. I too remember a movie about a skyscraper being possessed or something... the only thing I could think of was an X-Files episode where the skyscraper security system had a mind of its own.

Anyways, I just wanted to get anybody's thought on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I am more than intrigued and think it'll be great to get something different other than frickin' Twilight...

Anyways, I just wanted to get anybody's thought on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I am more than intrigued and think it'll be great to get something different other than frickin' Twilight...

Still not sure if I love or hate the idea of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The trailer doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence in me since I am not a big fan of CGI heavy 3D action movies (just not my thing most of the time) but if done right it could be a very fun, goofy action movie.