Question on recruiting

Scholarships. Why a limit(or low limit) on how many you can offer in total. Very common practice in NCAA football to offer way more scholarshios then you have to give. Building depth becomes almost impossible You are stuck riding out one recruit until they make a decission. By the time they do it to late and your stuck with nothing. This has happened on a couple of runs through the game. I needed an OG in the worst way. Had 3 that has very high interest in my team(10) but I need depth and couldn't negelect my other posititions. I could only offer one of them. By the time he decided not to sign with me the other two went elsewhere. Teams just seem to be handcuffed with the way it is now. #2 Once a player commits will they change their mind. I was still able to recruit and offer a QB that already commited to another school.

You generally have a roster of 75 including walkons which is just barely under the real life limit of 85. Also, yes, you can irl offer 25 schollies per year. This means coaches have to run off many players every year which doesn't get much publicity in the press. If you recruit well, you should be two-deep at every position within a couple of years if your recruits develop properly. As for offering more scholarships than you have to give, could you suggest a way to program that? It is really complicated to do, and you would be equally unhappy (and rightfully so) if in your example that you'd offered 25 scholarships needing 2 to be offensive guards yet all your scholarships got committed to other positions before those guys got committed. Believe me, I've spent the entire time of the beta trying to come up with a way to do that, and I couldn't come up with one. If you do have one, PLEASE tell Arlie as I'm sure he'd love to put it in. I know I'd love to have it. (This is not meant to be harsh in any way. It is just something I never could come up with that would work.) My suggestion is if you have a gaping hole at a position, you just have to focus on that position. You can either do that or find the people that really want to go to your school and move them to that position. I've always targeted the best players with 9 or 10 interest for scholarships (unless several were at the same position) then worked on down. The yellow-talent players seem to hang around until the latter stages. One other thing for the full-game is to cut poor players on scholarship. You lose them for that season, but hopefully, you'll replace them with a much better players next year. EDIT--#2 in your post is a bug. You can't recruit someone who is committed elsewhere.

[QUOTE=smartman] As for offering more scholarships than you have to give, could you suggest a way to program that? It is really complicated to do, and you would be equally unhappy (and rightfully so) if in your example that you'd offered 25 scholarships needing 2 to be offensive guards yet all your scholarships got committed to other positions before those guys got committed. [/QUOTE] I have not yet played the demo and won't until I'm able to perchase it, but I think I have a way around this. Add another page to the recruiting section allowing you to set the maximum and minimum number of signing at each position, with the ability to leave one of more blank meaning unlimited number of people can sign there. If for instance you had 25 schollies to give out and set OG for a minimum of 2 scholorships you could fill out the other 23 positions(assuming no gaurds were in the first 23 signings) and then no one else but gaurds would be able to commit to your school unless you went back and changed it.

Archived