Star Trek Online Off To Great Start

mike b

Well Star Trek online has gotten off to a fantastic start with 1million registered users. Will Cryptic Studios be able to hold on to them after that 30 day free trial ends remains to be seen.

Cryptic Studios has given alot of gamers a bad taste in their mouth as to whats going on with Champions.Lets hope the Trek side don't start going the same rout.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/loadNews/16148/utm_campaign/MMORPG%20Daily%20Digest%20Email/utm_source/MMORPG/utm_medium/email

I hate to be pedantic but, there's already a thread on this: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66998

First week registrations for an MMO are a smokescreen, especially one built around a large IP. How well did Age of Conan do in its first month? Warhammer Online? It's meaningless if they can't keep people for at least six months (and preferably a year). Box sales mean squat.

I hate to be pedantic but, there's already a thread on this: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66998

First week registrations for an MMO are a smokescreen, especially one built around a large IP. How well did Age of Conan do in its first month? Warhammer Online? It's meaningless if they can't keep people for at least six months (and preferably a year). Box sales mean squat.

Awww my bad Remianen. Idont know how i missed that thread.:o

Don't get me wrong, i am watching the progression of this game, as i want to see it succeed, but it will take a lot to get mmo players to stay with a game outside the free trial. I was surprised to see how many still play Wahammer Online (loved that game). So, hopefully STO will do well, and maintain a descent sub base, because they will need it when TOR comes out.

Don't get me wrong, i am watching the progression of this game, as i want to see it succeed, but it will take a lot to get mmo players to stay with a game outside the free trial. I was surprised to see how many still play Wahammer Online (loved that game). So, hopefully STO will do well, and maintain a descent sub base, because they will need it when TOR comes out.

There isn't a thing Cryptic can do to keep their subscriber base once TOR comes out. The people who stick with STO will be the same types of people who stuck with SWG post-NGE. Considering how many server merges SOE has done (with more needed), that's not an endorsement of quality.

STO is a rest stop, nothing more.

There isn't a thing Cryptic can do to keep their subscriber base once TOR comes out. The people who stick with STO will be the same types of people who stuck with SWG post-NGE. Considering how many server merges SOE has done (with more needed), that's not an endorsement of quality.

STO is a rest stop, nothing more.

That certainly seems to be the sentiment that is dominating chat (and a couple of STO-related podcasts I've checked out). I like the game, but as someone who still has KoTOR on my computer I'm pretty much thinking the same thing.

I did just try the Klingon/PVP side for the first time the last couple of days. Love it. Was housed in ground combat since I was in starter gear, but I'm housing Lieutenant Commanders in space combat with my starter Klingon ship. :)

Archived