Changing Recruiting Pitch?

Anyone else having trouble changing the kind of pitch being made to a recruit? For whatever reason, the first pitch I make is locked throughout the rest of the recruiting process. I can clear the amount of money I'm spending and alter that, but the pitch itself cannot be altered.

[QUOTE=Spursab]Anyone else having trouble changing the kind of pitch being made to a recruit? For whatever reason, the first pitch I make is locked throughout the rest of the recruiting process. I can clear the amount of money I'm spending and alter that, but the pitch itself cannot be altered.[/QUOTE]I'm fairly certain that is the way it is designed to work.

It was mentioned you could only select the pitch once. That is where the scout option comes in (I discovered this after making blind pitches to the first few recruits :) ) Scouting gives you a good idea on where to go. Some guys only have one thing that is very important, so thats a no brainer, others I have seen with 3, so you have to offer what you think your school represents best.

It is indeed. The earlier you make a pitch the recruit wants to hear the better the chance of getting him. Make the wrong pitch and you may be screwed. You could always wait a few weeks after you scout and week by week receive more information about what the recruit likes. However, the longer you wait, the more time the competition has to recruit your player.

Thanks for the help. Makes recruiting that much more difficult and challenging and that is probably a good thing. I guess I was blinded by NCAA '06's recruiting system where you work on a given player by trial and error to eventually figure out what they're interested in.

Is there more to it than just lining up your recruiting pitch with what the recruit wants to hear? What I mean is... if you are Temple and put up 1-10 records year after year, does it still boost your chance of landing the player if your recruiting action is "Chance to win" and that is the players top priority or does the recruit take into account whether your school fits the recruiting action you've selected and he prioritized.

From what I understand you actually have to be able to offer that......So in your scenario, if he wanted to win as his most important choice and location was somewhat important, you would still be better off going with location if that was applicable........Hopefully my understanding is correct on that.

The recruiting pitch is designed to show the recruit you have been paying attention to him and know what he values. So, if you pitch location in week 2 or 3 of recruiting and location is his top priority - you will receive a nice bonus as this shows the recruit you have really tried to get to know him. If you get location right in week 7, it's less impressive as other teams may have already made that pitch and he figures you should have known earlier. As to the above example with the 1-10 team, if his number one desire is "Chance to win" then that's the pitch you should make. You will get points for knowing his top priority. Of course, given that's his top priority, you may want to look elsewhere as the bonus for getting it right may be outweighed by your team's poor performance. So, one strategy I tend to use when playing is to use the more applicable preference to your team if you have multiple "Very interested" options. IE, I am Arizona and am going after a CB in Oregon (I have a need) with a "9" interest level in me. I look at his teams and there is a school from Oregon, one from Colorado and four from Texas - none have a great prestige level. I also see that he lists both location and playing time as "very interested". I would choose playing time because: 1. He lists me as a "9" and I am out of state (one potential strike against location). 2. He lists lower prestige schools showing that playing time may be more important. 3. He lists some out of state schools that may show location not being a main factor - of course it could also be that only one in Oregon is interested. 4. If location is his top priority and I choose it, chances are he will choose the Oregon school anyway (as location would dictate). So, it makes sense to choose playing time in that I need that to be his top priority to have a good shot at getting him (in addition to the other small clues).

When it comes to location, does it only go by state and neighboring state, or by mileage the way TCY did? For instance Oklahoma would probably be much more apt to recruit a player just across the river in Texas who wanted to play locally, rather than a player from El Paso or Houston who wanted to play locally, as there's a 500 mile difference involved.

Archived