The 1983 Scenario

Rick Arnold

Alright, I'm working on converting the TEW 1983 scenario done by Damian_de and D'Boon's Ghost into WreSpi format. The process should be sped up quickly once the Worker Converter is released. At the moment, the following is completed: Promotions Title Belts Events TV Shows Workers, Tag Teams and Relationships should be easily filled next. Followed by Moves. Using the Generic Move Sets from the Default pack, I'll be able to give each wrestler something to start with. From there, I'll go to make custom sets for most of them with favorites and finshers. I am also looking for pictures for as many of the Title Belts as possible, which can be found through the TEW scenario. They need to be preferably 200x100 in size and JPG. We also need promotion logos for: All-Star Wrestling Central States Championship Wrestling Association National Wrestling Alliance They should be preferably 100x100 in size and JPG. Also, any suggestions for smaller 'backyard' promotions at the time, to help fill the game out a bit and offer the Rookie more options to work their way up from.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polynesian Pro Wrestling/NWA Polynesian Wrestling has been added as a Small promotion. Peter Maivia owned it from '79 to '82 till the time of his death, when his wife took over till '88. At the current time, Lars Anderson is the top wrestler on the roster and Polynesian Pacific Heavyweight Champ. For the sake of honoring him, Maivia will be in the game as Owner of the promotion. And Lars Anderson will be the Head Booker. I'll also give a crack at creating a few of the guys who aren't in the DB. But the promotion will mostly be small at the beginning of the game, allowing a Rookie player to get a fair crack at a job there.

Alright, with the converter out, the workers have all been converted to WreSpi. Now it's just a matter of editing their birth years and Physical conditions... stuff that should have converted over! As well as their Styles. I am working on creating Custom Move Sets for alot of stars and others. Jobbers, atleast for the first version, will be stuck with a Generic Jobber move set with a 'Bodyslam' finisher. G.L.O.W. and it's wrestlers will be cut from the scenario, as I know nothing of the promotion or it's wrestlers.

Yea, one of the biggest things I'm finding is how I'll have to redo the entire moves, as well as create new movesets. Seeing as simple stuff like an 'Airplane Spin' is missing. I started by trying to add in the 'Top Rope Elbow Smash', but you can only make a Finisher with less then 55% Frequency. First, I have to subtract 21 years from each worker's birth year, so it'll fit in with '83, as well as editing all of their physical and contracts, as none of that converted over, except their first contract. If you want to take a crack at adding in some moves and some move sets for different groups, it'd be a big help. Of course, the game will have problems accurately modeling some wrestlers... like Andre The Giant, who's move set comprises of punch, headbutt, bearhug, bodyslam and maybe a splash or elbow drop if you get lucky. Hulk Hogan in his WWF days isn't much different either. Punch, Kick, Clothesline, Big Boot, Big Legdrop, Bicep Flexing. [url]http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/bbbowm.htm[/url] That's a great site with over 1,000 moves on it.

And despite what was said in another post, most of the relationships will be based around kayfabe and such. Like Vince McMahon hating Dusty Rhodes... atleast I hope that's the reason why they stuck him in polka dots. It'll be hard to accurately model the WWF and AWA respectively, as the WWF at the time is hiring new and young wrestlers of all skill types and Bob Backlund's title reign is coming to an end soon. While over in AWA, Verne Gagne is still pushing the proven legends at the top, although still giving the young guys, like Martel and Hennig chances.

Even though it's not stated, it's been implied that the need of refs isn't need, as is Commentators and such, so some of them will be cut to make the size smaller. Some will stay, like Danny Davis, who actually wrestled. And some commentators will remain, like Gordon Solie... cause it just isn't an '83 scenario without the great Gordon Solie.

Thanks for the clarification DBG! I must have just missed '83, I remember more of Stan Hansen's AWA takeover (was Scott Hall a tag-team champ then?), the Condry/Eaton Midnight Express, Midnights v. Rock n' Roll Express classic fued, Magnum TA vs. Nikika Koloff best-of-seven for the NWS US title, Valentine/Beefcake in the WWF, that time period. This is a great project though Rick, I'm quite interested. If I stumble across any old logos or photos along my searches I'll certainly post them here.

Thanks Midness, if I can't come across the actual promotion logos, I'll use those. And yea, there will be very little written contracts, although alot of the AWA roster will be, as well as a few others. I still have to collect a list of workers who worked more then 3 promotions, since TEW only has 3 of their contracts listed. I know Flair worked pretty much the entire NWA as well as Japan.

[QUOTE=Rick Arnold]Yea, one of the biggest things I'm finding is how I'll have to redo the entire moves, as well as create new movesets. Seeing as simple stuff like an 'Airplane Spin' is missing. I started by trying to add in the 'Top Rope Elbow Smash', but you can only make a Finisher with less then 55% Frequency. First, I have to subtract 21 years from each worker's birth year, so it'll fit in with '83, as well as editing all of their physical and contracts, as none of that converted over, except their first contract. If you want to take a crack at adding in some moves and some move sets for different groups, it'd be a big help. Of course, the game will have problems accurately modeling some wrestlers... like Andre The Giant, who's move set comprises of punch, headbutt, bearhug, bodyslam and maybe a splash or elbow drop if you get lucky. Hulk Hogan in his WWF days isn't much different either. Punch, Kick, Clothesline, Big Boot, Big Legdrop, Bicep Flexing. [url]http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/bbbowm/bbbowm.htm[/url] That's a great site with over 1,000 moves on it.[/QUOTE] It sure is, I've been using it to make my own move collection to share with the community. Heck it's first page of moves (out of four) has more than 1,000 moves, I know, I spent the better part of three days copying the names from it into Wrespi. I haven't even got to the stats or description part yet, that's what I'm working on tonight (and will most likely the next two days). :eek: Also, I'm fairly sure the limit of Success on Finisher level moves is 40%, not 55%. ;)

In answer to the above, yes you could have Abby's fork, fireball etc - it wouldn't be any different from using Green Mist for example, which is essentially a foreign object. Moves are scaled by power, yes. In regards to Hansen's lariat, Brody's knee drop, etc, those would be trademark moves, so you'd set the Success Rate relative to those specific workers. Same with Hogan's legdrop, as clearly due to the "magic" of wrestling, it isn't comparable to a legdrop done by anyone else.

Yeah, it's easy to set up Abby's Fork of DOOM~!, pencil, or Fireball as just a simple move (in my list I have "Headlock, Fork Rake" as a move :), High cheat factor and can cause blood). Considering the time period, I'd just move Backslide, Sunset Flip, Schoolboy Rollup, and the like up a level or two. If you really wanted to keep them low level, though, I'd try cranking down their success to make up for the slight chance of them leading to a pin (in other words, they would be much easier to counter, break, and block and thus more risky to go for). [quote]Same with Hogan's legdrop, as clearly due to the "magic" of wrestling, it isn't comparable to a legdrop done by anyone else. [/quote] The "Big Legdrop" and "Comedy Elbow Drop" from the Cornellverse come to mind. ;)

Yea, I know how picky they can be... heh. It'd be a lengthy side project to do, maybe after we get the actual scenario done, yea. Another thing to do would be to try and replace the Move Pictures with actual pictures of wrestlers performing them from the late 70s and early 80s.

Now besides from cutting women wrestlers from the scenario, I am seriously thinking of cutting managers as well. After learning that you can't assign managers and it's basically a random choice, I feel that it wouldn't be right to have Bobby Heenan in the game and not managing Nick Bockwinkel, Ray Stevens and the Blackjacks, or Captain Lou Albano managing the Samoans and almost any other heel Tag Team with Title aspirations, or even J.J. Dillon leading the Four Horsemen. Perhaps it'll be a change in the future... where the A.I. looks to give other workers a manager, but those that have one will keep the one they have.

Yea, Ric Flair almost always had a manager, whether it be J.J. Dillon, Hiro Matsuda or someone else. And the Road Warriors had the great Paul Ellering. And what about Valets? The people who accompanied a worker, but wasn't a mouthpiece for them? Curt Hennig had Madusa in the AWA, Randy Savage had Elizabeth. Also, what if Adam happens to see this, what's a 'Surprise Wrestler'? What's the point of having someone as a Surprise Wrestler?

Here's an idea, for the backyard and smaller feds, why don't you make up some feds, and for the wrestlers, put people from the Cornellverse, but have them as their age as it would be in 83. If that made sense at all. So like you could have a promotion like Rocky Mountain Wrestling, and have guys like Rip Chord and Giant Redwood in it, and there could be another one, with Sam Strong and Bruce the Giant in it.

[QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost]I don't envy that decision on valets and managers, Rick. I can see being horrified at the prospect of Ellering managing... the Itallian Stallion! :)[/QUOTE] Well, remember, the AI doesn't hand out managers to anyone (I think) below Lower Midcard, so Itallian Stallion would have his work cut out for him to get to where he could get [i]any[/i] manager. ;)

Archived