Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

On 10/25/2022 at 6:34 PM, milamber said:

House of the Dragon had a strong debut season. 8, 10 & 7 were my favorite episodes.

*Mixed debut season.

Episode 1 was good. Episodes 2-7 were terrible. 8 was finally the first great episode - an absolute masterclass. 9 and 10 were both at least good, resulting in a three-episode run that literally saved the season and presumably the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got Disney+. Andor is up there with the best live action Star Wars ever. I was never interested in the animated shows before but now that the live action shows are filling in gaps between movies and with Ahsoka coming out next year I've decided to catch up on them. Might take me a while, though.

Edited by milamber

@CQI13:

For some reason I was not able to quote your post.  Anyway, Mandy Patinkin is known for and has admitted to being very diffcult to work with. I do not know the circumstances for why he left Criminal Minds, other than what you said above, but just from typing in "Mandy Patinkin difficult to work with" on Yahoo, I got a over dozen headlines talking about him being difficult and that was only the first two pages of the search.

That being said, he's a great actor.  I thought he was excellent in Dead Like Me, a very underrated show, and anything else I have watched him in.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, CQI13 said:

Watching Criminal Minds now, and I can understand Mandy Patinkin quitting after 2 seasons over how dark the show is - some of the first half of Season 1 is especially dark. But how do you move to Homeland from it? Lol

TBH, I felt the seasons immediately after his departure were better. Season 4's Normal is still one of the show's absolute best.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 2:38 AM, BHK1978 said:

@CQI13:

For some reason I was not able to quote your post.  Anyway, Mandy Patinkin is known for and has admitted to being very diffcult to work with. I do not know the circumstances for why he left Criminal Minds, other than what you said above, but just from typing in "Mandy Patinkin difficult to work with" on Yahoo, I got a over dozen headlines talking about him being difficult and that was only the first two pages of the search.

That being said, he's a great actor.  I thought he was excellent in Dead Like Me, a very underrated show, and anything else I have watched him in.

I will put Dead Like Me on my list.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 7:38 AM, Kubikiri Asa said:

2nd season of Vox Machina was good, but not on the same level as the 1st season.

Latest episode of The Last of Us is the best so far. Things are finally beginning to happen.

New season of Carnival Row have started promising.

My problem with the Last of Us is that it has, thus far, given me no characters to care about beyond the two main characters.  The show seems a lot like David Carradine's Kung Fu, in that Ellie and Joel show up in a location do some stuff with some other characters and then leave the said location and we never see the other characters again. 

I have never played the game or its sequel, so I am coming at this from a TV only consumer viewpoint.  Also, I have yet to watch the very last episode that aired Sunday.  My TV time has been filled with me watching Line of Duty (Which is a great show.  Well the last season could have been better but the first five were great).

People praise the Bill and Frank episode but nothing really happened in that episode.  I know people have been saying, "Well that episode helped Joel understand his mission."  Fair enough but they did not have to waste an entire hour.  The episode came across as an awards bait episode featuring two characters that will have no impact on the show's future.

Next, I read article after article on how Henry and Sam were game changing characters in the video game...and they lasted a whole fifty minutes on the show.  I thought they would stick around for at least two episodes and I really liked the characters.  I thought you could do a lot with a deaf kid and his protective older brother (sidenote: Sam being deaf led me to think about how could a blind person survive in a world such as this or in the Walking Dead universe, that could be an interesting story to tell.) from a storyline perspective I liked the dynamic that Sam had with Ellie.  How he allowed her to be a kid again   I really thought they could have done more with that even if it meant having Henry and Sam travel with Ellie and Joel for just one more episode, but nope that didn't happen.  Instead they Kung Fued it up and they left to go somewhere else for the next episode.

Now I understand that there is only a limited number of episodes for the season and they have to keep on moving toward their goal. Therefore, I understand why they spend hardly any time focusing on secondary characters.  I also understand that the show is about the bond between Ellie and Joel.  That being said, I feel like they could have at least given us some sort of reason to care about the secondary characters.  It is kind of hard to be invested in them when we only see them for one episode and then they are gone.

1 hour ago, BHK1978 said:

My problem with the Last of Us is that it has, thus far, given me no characters to care about beyond the two main characters.  The show seems a lot like David Carradine's Kung Fu, in that Ellie and Joel show up in a location do some stuff with some other characters and then leave the said location and we never see the other characters again. 

I have never played the game or its sequel, so I am coming at this from a TV only consumer viewpoint.  Also, I have yet to watch the very last episode that aired Sunday.  My TV time has been filled with me watching Line of Duty (Which is a great show.  Well the last season could have been better but the first five were great).

People praise the Bill and Frank episode but nothing really happened in that episode.  I know people have been saying, "Well that episode helped Joel understand his mission."  Fair enough but they did not have to waste an entire hour.  The episode came across as an awards bait episode featuring two characters that will have no impact on the show's future.

Next, I read article after article on how Henry and Sam were game changing characters in the video game...and they lasted a whole fifty minutes on the show.  I thought they would stick around for at least two episodes and I really liked the characters.  I thought you could do a lot with a deaf kid and his protective older brother (sidenote: Sam being deaf led me to think about how could a blind person survive in a world such as this or in the Walking Dead universe, that could be an interesting story to tell.) from a storyline perspective I liked the dynamic that Sam had with Ellie.  How he allowed her to be a kid again   I really thought they could have done more with that even if it meant having Henry and Sam travel with Ellie and Joel for just one more episode, but nope that didn't happen.  Instead they Kung Fued it up and they left to go somewhere else for the next episode.

Now I understand that there is only a limited number of episodes for the season and they have to keep on moving toward their goal. Therefore, I understand why they spend hardly any time focusing on secondary characters.  I also understand that the show is about the bond between Ellie and Joel.  That being said, I feel like they could have at least given us some sort of reason to care about the secondary characters.  It is kind of hard to be invested in them when we only see them for one episode and then they are gone.

I haven’t watched any of the last of us yet but loved both games and this is kinda of what I expected when I read that the first season was going to be the first game. I wanted to spend more time with some of these side characters and a series was perfect for that. There’s also pretty big gaps in the games story where the show could’ve done their own thing for an episode without much issue. The first game really should’ve been 2 seasons then they could tell the games story while like I said giving us more of side characters and doing something original. I’m torn on actually watching the show because of how much I love the games. 

13 hours ago, milamber said:

I disagree. Last of Us S1 is a travel show with very few recurring characters. Despite that most of the side characters have been memorable even with limited screen time, IMO. That's down to the quality writing and acting.

They used to do shows like this all the time in the 70s and 80s. While there are many excellent examples, the one that I immediately think of is... uh... Master Ninja, starring Lee Van Cleef.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

They used to do shows like this all the time in the 70s and 80s. While there are many excellent examples, the one that I immediately think of is... uh... Master Ninja, starring Lee Van Cleef.

That is an amazing concept and I hate that I already know Lee Van Cleef as a ninja is nowhere near as cool as it could be because most 80s TV sucked at fight scenes.