What is a pro wrestling "E-Fed"?

Wrestling Century

I can only say what I've figured out from my googling, but it seems to be the case that an e-fed is a game whereby you have a bunch of "players" who are each wrestlers, and then a "gm-type" who determines what-all is going on. The players will tend to write out their own promos, and both write the match, and the gm-dude figures out who wrote the better match and use that.

I think. That's what I read somewhere, give or take.

You can find a few by just searching "e fed" or "efed."

You basically roleplay a wrestler by writing out promos and such. While there may be feds who do things as mentioned above, I've personally never come across any.

Basically you have a match booked and have a set amount of time to rp for it. There are sometimes limits to the rps (how many a day, how many total, min/max lines/words etc). The owner/gm/booker whatever then grades the rps and whoever he fills did best by a known criteria wins the match.

There are several ways to run one and it all depends on the owner. I've owned a few and played in many and the way I described above is how I've always done/had to do.

The feds I had RP'ed with in the past gave people free-range. You didn't always need to do a wrestling style promo. Or if you're me... you never do a wrestling style promo. All of my RPs were done with backstory for my character and stories outside of wrestling. The owner or operator of the fed would put together matches, storylines, etc. They'd always try and get input from people, but ultimately it came down to the person who put the e-fed together.

Matches would be determined by the owner of the e-fed and matches would be written by those best suited to write them. Sometimes the owner would write all of them. Sometimes he'd ask people who wrote some of the best RPs to write a match or two. You'd never see someone writing their own characters match.

I haven't done any e-fedding in over six years. A buddy of mine who I met when I first started doing it stopped at the same time. We used the same characters throughout and were even a tag team at one point.

This was the last E-Fed I was in. Everyone who was in it were people who had met online and knew each other for years. If you look around those forum you'll notice the last RPs were done in '04. After freshman year of HS I realized it was time to focus on partying and not writing. :)

The feds I had RP'ed with in the past gave people free-range. You didn't always need to do a wrestling style promo. Or if you're me... you never do a wrestling style promo. All of my RPs were done with backstory for my character and stories outside of wrestling. The owner or operator of the fed would put together matches, storylines, etc. They'd always try and get input from people, but ultimately it came down to the person who put the e-fed together.

Matches would be determined by the owner of the e-fed and matches would be written by those best suited to write them. Sometimes the owner would write all of them. Sometimes he'd ask people who wrote some of the best RPs to write a match or two. You'd never see someone writing their own characters match.

I haven't done any e-fedding in over six years. A buddy of mine who I met when I first started doing it stopped at the same time. We used the same characters throughout and were even a tag team at one point.

This was the last E-Fed I was in. Everyone who was in it were people who had met online and knew each other for years. If you look around those forum you'll notice the last RPs were done in '04. After freshman year of HS I realized it was time to focus on partying and not writing. :)

Same here. Things always referenced the match and/or opponent, but it was more character story driven than promo driven.

Yeah I've been involved in a few e feds. I started in like 01 with a punch of rw wrestlers that you could control. I was all of Team Canada Lance Storm, E and C, Trish Stratus, etc. That was all done through aol email.

I moved on to original characters later on with promotions like Shoot Project and the promotion I'm still with over at deathvalleydriver.com the DVD Wrestling e fed which is a blast.

I did this once when I was a kid. The 'owner' was basically a head booker. People were encouraged to talk amongst themselves and come up with storylines/feuds with the owner.

You had a deadline every week to submit a promo/backstage skit/storyline piece etc, which was released a few days before the card. People chipped in to write matches etc, the owner pulled it all together. Sometime we'd do massive show-opening segments, whereby I'd write my characters bit, email it to the next guy, he'd email it back etc. Was a good laugh at the time, but I'm going back 10-12 years...I grew out of wrestling and dropped it pretty sharpish. Definitely the high-point of geekdom in my life...in fact, this is the first I've ever told anyone of it :-p

The e-fed I'm with is (http://fullmetalwrestling.forumotion.com) is pretty different from traditional E-feds.

After you sign up, you'll be booked in match on an upcoming show. You then must write one promo (what most other e-efeds refer to as a role play, or "rp"). A promo can be about anything in FMW, although a story based around your character is the dominate style, rather than your character just talking that most places do. Every card has a deadline. Our deadlines tend to last about a week after the card is posted. After the deadline ends members of FMW will vote on who they believed had the better promo, over a period that's normally about 2 days.

The promos are then rated by a team of unbiased veterans. The votes and the rating is combined to form your final score. If your score is greater than then your opponent, you win.

Unlike alot of feds, FMW shows don't go up every week, instead we take as long as we need because our shows are very in-depth write ups. As in our matches are blow by blow accounts of what happens, in and outside the ring.

FMW is the best e-fed out there today. I'm not just saying that as hype, it's true. For along period I was looking for other feds to be in but no one matched up to the standard set by FMW. Don't believe me? This is our most recent Voting and Promo thread, take a look at the standard yourself

What our promos are like:

http://fullmetalwrestling.forumotion.com/shows-f11/fmw-111-voting-promo-thread-t399.htm

Oh yeah, one final thing: All FMW's characters are original.

The players will tend to write out their own promos, and both write the match, and the gm-dude figures out who wrote the better match and use that.

This breed is actually pretty rare. Usually you do write the promos as has been mentioned. And in some cases you may have the option to write "strats". Which are essentially guidelines to help the match writer figure out how to write your character's part of the match. Things that might go into that would be enhanced ring entrances, your character's demeanor for the match, potential spots for your character, reactions if they win or lose. Stuff like that.

The reason what Linsolv describes is so rare is because writing out a full match can be a very time-consuming process. Especially if the players or "handlers" in e-fed jargon don't supply you with strats. I've been match writer for several feds over the years and if I doing a full write-up, I can easily kill five or six hours doing it. Lately more summarized style matches have been in style because of time constraints catching up with fedheads and match writers. Although in the one I'm currently in, the condensation wouldn't necessarily be noticeable to the uninitated eye.

The thing I love about e-feds is that you get all these creative gimmicks and storylines that you might not see in a WWE or TNA. As such they can be an antidote to the sometimes frustrating nature of real-world wrestling.

They sure have changed since i was young :D

Back in the 90's it was a completely different set-up. They used a simulator that wrote out the matches based on stats the player the players were allowed to tweak. But the guy in charge would generally cap the points so no one would max out their stats.

One of the simulators is still around and they even offer an earlier version for free.

E-feds are fun. I still remember winning many titles through my years of e-fedding... most notably at http://www.shootclub.com where one of my characters (Derek B) is one of a handful of people who has achieved legendary status. The game there has been around for almost a decade and has it's own software to handle stats and stuff. Free to play at low levels too, so it's worth checking out if you're not sure about it. :)

I'm always tempted to make a return there, but my financial situation doesn't really lend myself to it and probably won't do for a looooong time. Shame really...

Went to take a look at your fed there, Mr Macho. And while you don't have many people yet, I gotta say that guy, The Jazz, looks like a really interesting character. If his handler can maintain the speech pattern, he should make for some really fun reading.

This breed is actually pretty rare. Usually you do write the promos as has been mentioned. And in some cases you may have the option to write "strats". Which are essentially guidelines to help the match writer figure out how to write your character's part of the match. Things that might go into that would be enhanced ring entrances, your character's demeanor for the match, potential spots for your character, reactions if they win or lose. Stuff like that.

The reason what Linsolv describes is so rare is because writing out a full match can be a very time-consuming process. Especially if the players or "handlers" in e-fed jargon don't supply you with strats. I've been match writer for several feds over the years and if I doing a full write-up, I can easily kill five or six hours doing it. Lately more summarized style matches have been in style because of time constraints catching up with fedheads and match writers. Although in the one I'm currently in, the condensation wouldn't necessarily be noticeable to the uninitated eye.

The thing I love about e-feds is that you get all these creative gimmicks and storylines that you might not see in a WWE or TNA. As such they can be an antidote to the sometimes frustrating nature of real-world wrestling.

Really? Almost every e-fed I've been in had full match write-ups.

In the last one, EVERYONE did there part to help out by volounteering to write certain matches, since it was too much to ask just the "owner" to do so. Usually worked out pretty well, except one guy wrote just the worst matches ever.... just constant over the top, physics defying moves with no psychology what so ever... but he was also an *******, so I had little problem telling him both.

For the most part, people used their wrestler's bios to mention a moveset/wrestling style/mannerisms and the like, though people were welcome to make suggestions to stuff they'd like to see in their matches.

Of course, some people make things difficult by only listing over the top, physics defying/super rare finishing moves as their "moveset"... but that's easily remedied by having his opponent (who just happened to be my wrestler) get hit with a Burning Hammer, Styles Clash, Tombstone, four repeated German Suplexes, and then a (get this) Shooting Star Legdrop...

And kick out before one.

Hey, not my fault those were the least ridiculous things the guy had listed in his not finisher moveset.

Oh, and we submitted a pair of endings with each match to the owner, for obvious reasons. After all, don't want to ruin the show by giving us spoilers!

I am an old hand at efedding.....have been in ALOT of them lol. Don't want to brag or anything but i think my title count is around 15 ;). I have done everything from writing.....rping...to running a fed. I have not done it in over a year though.

I've been in e-feds for the better part of 6 years. Basically there are no rules when it comes to writing out your RP's. you can't have your character kill someone. A lot of feds have a fair amount of leeway on how you write your roleplays. Some feds are based on Angles which are pre-determined based on your storyline. Some E-feds are based just on who beat who's RP's. In those feds it's not about quantity, its about QUALITY.

I did this for about 2 years in 97-98. I always remember the way people recruited for these- it was mostly the AOL public forums for wrestling chat, you would go into the room and type something like "if u want to join an rp fed press 555" and IM anyone who responded. It's fun, but one of those things where you think about what else you could be doing with your life at that time and regret doing it, or at least acknowledge it was a waste.

It's fun, but one of those things where you think about what else you could be doing with your life at that time and regret doing it, or at least acknowledge it was a waste.

During my time of efedding, I often felt like I could have been doing something better with my time, but looking back it wasn't a waste. Like GruntMark says, it was a chance to work on my creative writing, on developing a character, on working to deadlines, on tailoring my work to a specific audience who provided feedback. After my Uni hell where I never wanted to pick up a pen again, it made me fall in love with writing once more.

I think I won one title efedding... Tag belt... Although to be fair my character (Edd Stone Yo!) was a comedy midcarder by design.

Really? Almost every e-fed I've been in had full match write-ups.

In the last one, EVERYONE did there part to help out by volounteering to write certain matches, since it was too much to ask just the "owner" to do so. Usually worked out pretty well, except one guy wrote just the worst matches ever.... just constant over the top, physics defying moves with no psychology what so ever... but he was also an *******, so I had little problem telling him both.

For the most part, people used their wrestler's bios to mention a moveset/wrestling style/mannerisms and the like, though people were welcome to make suggestions to stuff they'd like to see in their matches.

Of course, some people make things difficult by only listing over the top, physics defying/super rare finishing moves as their "moveset"... but that's easily remedied by having his opponent (who just happened to be my wrestler) get hit with a Burning Hammer, Styles Clash, Tombstone, four repeated German Suplexes, and then a (get this) Shooting Star Legdrop...

And kick out before one.

Hey, not my fault those were the least ridiculous things the guy had listed in his not finisher moveset.

Oh, and we submitted a pair of endings with each match to the owner, for obvious reasons. After all, don't want to ruin the show by giving us spoilers!

I'm thinking he meant how the matches were described there. I've never heard of both of the "wrestlers" writing the match, and then using the winners. I've actually never heard of that. Most times there are a couple of people who do the writing, but, never doubling up on matches.

Back when I fedded, there was usually 2-6 people in the power structure. They judged the promos, and the best won. Sometimes there would be pre-set up wins and losses, to move a storyline. I ran one for a while, and have written for quite a few. I can really get into my character, and have looked here and there for one for me to join.

The last two had all this hype, then just fizzled.

I'm thinking he meant how the matches were described there. I've never heard of both of the "wrestlers" writing the match, and then using the winners. I've actually never heard of that. Most times there are a couple of people who do the writing, but, never doubling up on matches.

Back when I fedded, there was usually 2-6 people in the power structure. They judged the promos, and the best won. Sometimes there would be pre-set up wins and losses, to move a storyline. I ran one for a while, and have written for quite a few. I can really get into my character, and have looked here and there for one for me to join.

The last two had all this hype, then just fizzled.

Yeah, I'm totally cool with those, so long as you're informed beforehand about it. I don't want to write for several hours and be told I'm gonna lose for storyline purposes.

Archived