So, I was playing as TCW and, having hired all the unemployed MMA guys (Japan off) because they're hugely popular and very skilled, found myself wondering what running a hybrid promotion would be like.

So I opened ROF:Canada. I've been muddling through, I have a pretty skilled roster. I am haemoraging money like crazy as I started at Small (17% pop) and I have some guys asking 18K a show but I started with 3000000 and I own the place so that isnt an immediate problem. From November to April I've gone up to 25.4% pop, 1.4% every show.

The problem is this. I've always used angles to boost momentum. With a hybrid promotion angles are a no go, so my entire roster is sitting at C+ or lower momentum and I cant find a way to boost it. Does anyone have any advice for this problem?

Cheers

Well, first off, momentum isn't a big deal in a smaller promotion, so it's not a big concern. For where you are, C+ will do the job.

With products that don't allow angles, momentum must be carefully handled, as you only have matches to go on. To build momentum, you have to take a boxing approach to booking. Pick a handful of guys, and hitch your wagon to them. Give them dominating victories over everyone else on the roster, building win streaks. Make the matches between your top guys something special, with both guys coming in with momentum, and you'll blow the roof off the place.

So, win streaks, and the Dominate road agent note are your friends, for building momentum.

Will that not cause my undercard to moan about the amount of losses they have taken?

EDIT: Also how would I go about training up non MMA guys' MMA skills? I assumed the normal route of put them in matches with high MMA, high performance guys, but no-one has gained anything in the MMA stat in 6 months

That's what the undercard is for. Have your top guy kick the crap out of a midcard guy. Next show, have the midcard guy kick the crap out of the Brooklyn Brawler. Jobbers know what they get paid to do. Unless someone's a dirtbag, they're usually pretty cool with taking losses to people above them. It's only if they're consistently losing to people at their own level and lower that they'll get really pissy.

As for the MMA skill, it's kind of a special case. It's not a "regular" wrestling skill, but more just a measure of how well they can tie in stuff from another genre of entertainment. Don't worry, though; your workers are still judged on all of their wrestling skills, just like anything else. It's just that MMA guys will get a little bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd let you know, I'm now a year in and 7 Quebec shows from hitting cult! I have a TV deal with O-Sport(created tiny Ontario based channel) that has run for 2 seasons and just signed on the dotted line to get the same show on Q-Sport(Quebec based tiny network).

I discovered that you can get away with 3 mins of angles in a 60 min show and 5 mins in a 90 min show with a Hybrid product provided they are rated B- or above so that has helped my shows no end with a bit of Face off, No Contact abuse and a hot female colour commentator to fire tshirts into the crowd. Also Champagne Lover has been in the promotions magazine a lot :)

The game has thrown up a lot of highly skilled strong-style & technician random workers that have added massively to my roster. One of which, Karl Turnbull, a heavyweight technician, has worked his way up with a Brock Lesnar type push to dethrown Raul Hughes as the heavyweight champion after a 10 month reign.

One snag is that I thought I was the owner but I'm not, Matty Phatty is :eek: I thought I'd hired him by accident and jobbed him like crazy as he was Main Event before finding out he is the owner lol. Which leads me to a question:

Matty Phatty is the owner, but on a PPA deal. His contract is due for renewal in 6 months. What happens if I dont renew it?

Archived