WTH are the thresholds for gaining popularity?

I have 80.0 popularity in most regions of the country, and even B+ shows do nothing for my popularity. Even moreso, I have 90.0 popularity in my "home region", and I put on a show rated 95, and gained no popularity. Is there no way to actually gain popularity once you hit B? No matter how good the shows I put on are, I never even gain 0.1! This is frustrating. Beyond frustrating actually. It's hard enough to put on an A show, and I get nothing for it when I do.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It takes time, time, and more time. I think when you reach around 80 popularity it takes months and months to bring it up each point. You'll notice that my UK and Japan regions are growing fast (only PPV deals and house shows, no TV) because the popularity is so low. Mexico and Canada are taking some time as well because they've hit 80. I can't tell you exactly what the numbers are, but below should give you a good idea of how long it takes when you're putting on consistent B+ (88) to A+ (95+) shows which I am.

http://lrodzen.me/images/wcwprogress.JPG

As well, thresholds are variable, based on Industry & Economy, if I recall correctly.

Don't think that is the case. You are referring to attendance and those type of thresholds not popularity. You are just not putting on good enough shows dreamgoddes. But wtf is wrong with B's everywhere? That makes you global and making money hand over fist.

The problem is I'm not even seeing a 0.1 gain (I check in the editor after each show) no matter how high the quality is (even B+ and an A show, and I gained nothing, not even 0.1). I don't regularly put on B+ or A shows (I only have one A show so far, though about half the shows I put on are B+) but I would think I would at least see a 0.1 gain from at least one of my shows.

Makes no sense. I'm not even seeing a 0.1 gain anywhere, no matter how many B+ shows I put on. Like I said, I check the editor after every show to see the exact number.

I have started cheating and giving myself +0.1 with any B+ shows and +0.2 with any A shows in the editor since I got tired of the game never once giving me any increases when my shows were good enough that I should have had gains. A B+ show should gain me at least 0.1 if I only have B popularity.

Do you have a TV/PPV deal? That also helps to gain pop.

-.-

Is that even a serious question?

I'm International. You can't get to International without a TV and PPV deal. Of course I have freaking TV and PPV. Sheesh. That's why I'm saying I should be seeing at least 0.1 gains when I put on B+ shows and above.

are you trying to expand outside your home area?

I noticed in my long-term game... I spent years only doing shows in my home region... that i reached a point where I stopped gaining popularity no matter how good the shows I put on were. It wasn't until I started building up other areas that I started gaining popularity in my home region again.

Is it possible you are capped at B for international like it seemed I was capped at regional as to how popular I could get?

The problem is I'm not even seeing a 0.1 gain (I check in the editor after each show) no matter how high the quality is (even B+ and an A show, and I gained nothing, not even 0.1). I don't regularly put on B+ or A shows (I only have one A show so far, though about half the shows I put on are B+) but I would think I would at least see a 0.1 gain from at least one of my shows.

Makes no sense. I'm not even seeing a 0.1 gain anywhere, no matter how many B+ shows I put on. Like I said, I check the editor after every show to see the exact number.

I have started cheating and giving myself +0.1 with any B+ shows and +0.2 with any A shows in the editor since I got tired of the game never once giving me any increases when my shows were good enough that I should have had gains. A B+ show should gain me at least 0.1 if I only have B popularity.

Hmm weird that the A's are giving you nothing. It was used to be that a full letter grade would always net you an increase. So in that regard I am stumped. Maybe they are giving you an invisible 0.04 increase or something which then gets undone with a low B rated show.

I have the same problem in my current game: B+ popularity and sometimes not even an A* show raises my pop.

My theory is that company momentum plays a huge role in gaining popularity. Whenever my show was better then my current momentum, my popularity was raised around 0.3 or 0.4, whereas the show just being better than my current popularity didn't have any effect. Now I have a momentum of 100, which is not good in terms of becoming more popular. :)

The only way around this would be to do some mediocre shows (within a certain range of course, you don't want to lose popularity) to artificially lower your momentum. Then put up a really good show.

I posted this same question a week ago and no one came up with an answer. I'm only at cult with B- pop across Mexico and I need at least a B+ rated TV show to gain popularity. I switched to numbers and determined that the threshold is very close to 10 points. So I need an 85 to gain 0.2 in popularity in my 74.8 region. I was hoping this was connected to ratings, but if you are having the same problem at International then that's probably not it.

I've found that my PPVs have a lower threshold. I'm not sure what it is exactly but I gain twice as much popularity, 0.4 each time, even if the show is only a B. In fact in a previous game with 21CW I let my TV deal expire and started doing 2 PPVs a month instead because I could gain popularity faster that way.

Worse, the AI promotions seem to have a different thresh hold than I do. SOTBPW has been able to almost reach B popularity across Mexico despite only putting on a couple of B+ shows in their history. SWF is currently at A pop across America despite only 5 A shows in their history. I've also seen SOTBPW put on C+ shows and not lose any pop whereas I will always lose pop if my show is even slightly lower than my current pop.

WTH is with you making a new topic every time you have a minor question?

This.

Just wondering why you play the game if you have this many complaints about it? And I'm not trying to incite an argument, I'm legitimately curious.

DGL had this exact same problem in WMMA2. Once she gets to a certain level she's not happy to sit back and book kick ass shows and have fun with it, she must always be moving up regardless of how the rest of the game is going.

What's your product like? How does it match with the current trends of the industry? Maybe you'd gain popularity faster with a slightly different product.

An '80' is pretty damned good though. It's not like you get something extra for hitting '90', like super-written contracts (where your workers are basically slaves) or a clone-hospital (Sean McFly injured? No problem, fire up the clone-o-matic). Now that you're awesomely popular in your home country, think about expansion, training up some new guys just for fun, or just sit back and relax. You're winning.

(Unless you're in a National Battle and losing... then maybe panic)

Guest KingOfKings
-.-

Is that even a serious question?

I'm International. You can't get to International without a TV and PPV deal. Of course I have freaking TV and PPV. Sheesh. That's why I'm saying I should be seeing at least 0.1 gains when I put on B+ shows and above.

Well excuse me for you not posting in your original post that you were international size. You wonder why people don't like helping you.

I'm also pretty sure it's not impossible to become international without TV or PPV, just very, very difficult.

It's not and it's not even difficult, it just takes time (which might equate to difficulty to some). Creative use of spillover can make it go slightly faster but that's basically saving a maximum of 2.5 years out of 10. But it's just another example of people (or at least one 'people') making unequivocal statements based largely on a lack of understanding.

Raivotar is wise though. It wouldn't make any sense for Adam to add company momentum and have it have no effect on anything. When's the last time Adam's done that?

And leave it to Moe. :p

From the helpfile:

You will also see the promotion’s momentum. This rises and falls primarily with changes in size and the quality of shows, but can also be affected by gaining or losing major stars, financial issues, etc. A promotion with high momentum becomes a more attractive proposition to workers, TV networks, PPV carriers, etc, as they are clearly on the rise. It also gives a good indication of who is currently “hot”.

So.. You need to have lower momentum than your shows, in order to gain popularity?.. That makes no sense at all.

It makes sense. How are you supposed to become more popular when your shows are worse than your current momentum?

I observed it closely. At a popularity between 85 and 88 I put on several 95 rated shows. But I only gained additional popularity (0.2 or 0.3) when my momentum was 95 or lower. Momentum 95 or higher: no effect, although the event summary said that my popularity has increased.

I posted this same question a week ago and no one came up with an answer. I'm only at cult with B- pop across Mexico and I need at least a B+ rated TV show to gain popularity. I switched to numbers and determined that the threshold is very close to 10 points. So I need an 85 to gain 0.2 in popularity in my 74.8 region. I was hoping this was connected to ratings, but if you are having the same problem at International then that's probably not it.

I've found that my PPVs have a lower threshold. I'm not sure what it is exactly but I gain twice as much popularity, 0.4 each time, even if the show is only a B. In fact in a previous game with 21CW I let my TV deal expire and started doing 2 PPVs a month instead because I could gain popularity faster that way.

Worse, the AI promotions seem to have a different thresh hold than I do. SOTBPW has been able to almost reach B popularity across Mexico despite only putting on a couple of B+ shows in their history. SWF is currently at A pop across America despite only 5 A shows in their history. I've also seen SOTBPW put on C+ shows and not lose any pop whereas I will always lose pop if my show is even slightly lower than my current pop.

This has pretty much been my experience too. I've always played on the theory that I need to put on a show at least 10 percentage points better than my current popularity to see an increase. The actual mechanic that the game uses may not be (and almost certainly isn't) that simple, but practically speaking, that's always been the way things have seemed to work out for me.

And while it's certainly true that AI-controlled promotions gain popularity for shows less than 10 percentage points better than their original popularity, I've always just put that down as a built-in advantage given to AI promotions to help compensate for the obvious advantages a human player will always have and keep the game world more balanced over the long term.

Archived