[Q] How do YOU choose match up's?

I often find myself starting a new game, then just choosing random match up's. Obviously they're not all random but alot are, like I choose the main event then co-main event and the rest I don't really use any sort of Algorithm to choose the match up's. So how do you set up your cards? Any advice on Techniques for Match up's? :D

I employ a relatively simple method. When starting with a company such as GAMMA, I generally put on 7 matches. These matches include 1 title fight and 6 other fights. I include one fight from each weight division and two preliminary fights that I just throw together from whichever divisions have the most talent. When the company grows bigger I include 2 fights from each weight division. The top of the card involves contests between top 10 fighters (or near enough), so for example I have a fight between two top 10 fighters in the Heavyweight division, Light Heavyweight division and so on. The bottom of the card consists of fighters who are lower down in the rankings, so two non-ranked Heavyeights, Light Heavyweights......I assume you get the pattern. This algorithm presents very few problems and seems to present a variety of fresh match-ups.

Hope this helped.

Using the Tap or Snap mod, and using the UFC, I usually have 6 on air fights and 6 prelims given the sheer scale of their roster. I don't really need to plan given the depth of fighters, but it does inevitably become difficult to find suitable main and co-main events, but this happens in real life so I don't really mind.

But I like to do what the UFC does and feed my undefeated fighters guys they'll probably beat, guys that suit them, etc., because it's easier to focus on getting a few guys with higher reputations. Then I give them tougher matches and feed them to the sharks.

I pretty much only book form versus form, like Coming off a Defeat versus Coming off a Defeat, Broken their losing streak versus Broken their losing streak, etc. Also, I only book rematches if both fighters are on a winning streak.

I start with WEFF, and my first month is one division, next is the other. For the first batch of fights (the first event in each division) I run 5 fights, with all competitors coming from the Top 10. After they drop and move up, I find other match ups. Later on, I also do fights with people out of the Top 10 (against people ranked 7-10). If that makes sense.

I book a fight from each weight class on the main card(Heavyweight-Lightweight). For the main event I never really try to use a fighter below 85% Reputation, unless it's a TV show. So my main event is usually 85-100%, Semi Main is someone between 75-85, and then my undercard is usually 50-75. Prelims are reserved to anyone below that level, though I do make exceptions for breakout popular stars.

Prelims are more of the same, I book one fight from each weight class, and then whatever weight class is the main event gets two additional prelims, barring there not being enough fighters(rarely the case as I keep myself pretty stocked up)

I "usually" try to book fighters by ranking. I keep a spreadsheet of my fighters and list them in order of my ranking for them (and update after each show). I will then "try" to book guys that are close in ranking (ex. 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, etc) to keep a good flow and establish legit contenders. Some exceptions I make are with streaks. I try to match winning vs. winning, coming of a defeat vs. coming off a defeat, etc.

I try not to put a fighter coming off of a loss against one who is coming off of a win. The reason being, if the fighter who is coming off a loss wins, now you are in the same situation with those two fighters (one off a win and one off a loss). However, if you put two guys coming off a defeat against each other, then you get one who is back on the winning track and one who is on a losing streak and try to pit him against another guy on a losing streak, usually with the loser getting cut.

This method makes it interesting as you are constantly trying to find fights between guys that are close in ranking and on similar streaks. Sometimes you run into a spot where the top guys have all fought each other and there aren't a lot of fights to schedule, but that makes it interesting and forces you to a good job building your bottom tier fighters.

I treat it as a business 100%. I pick out my preferred stars and try to build them up. Guys who don't make the cut get demoted, guys who come out of nowhere and become stars by themselves get added to the list. Only the champions get to fight top level opponents unless I'm in a bind, in which case two of my stars will have to fight and fill in important spots.

When I start, it's mostly random and mostly dictated by fan feedback. Typically, I let guys go on runs and try to book fights that I think would be great match-ups. If I need the show to succeed, I cull the unpopular ones and add popular ones if necessary. If I'm sacrificing the show rating in order to build up my guys, I stick with matches I think will be great. When adding, I try to address my needs and keep talent constantly flowing in and out. when I have too many guys, I put on more shows and when I have too few, I put on less. If guys can't get on a card, I book oodles and oodles of prelim matches to boost some guys up a little and let the hopeless failures go when their contracts expire (and their reputation is too low to be useful as cans). When I don't know what to do (or don't happen to care much for the show in question), I line up streaks and make sure the fans approve.

I pretty much only book form versus form, like Coming off a Defeat versus Coming off a Defeat, Broken their losing streak versus Broken their losing streak, etc. Also, I only book rematches if both fighters are on a winning streak.

I do this too. I also have a "3 strikes and you're out" rule in regard to losses. The only way to clear your "strikes" are to win two in a row.

I try to book 3 cards at a time, first making sure that I have solid main events and co-main events for each show, then kinda filling out the rest of the cards from there. Title matches are most likely going to be main events, though not always. I'll sometimes have 2 title matches on one card if one of them isn't a very strong matchup. On average a card will have about 7 matches, plus any pre-lims I can throw together involving people whose contracts I want to burn through, or if they simply don't have the cache to belong on the main card yet.

For my matchups, my top priority is finding reputations that are relatively close, then I look to recent form. My form check is just to match up people who are coming off wins or people who are coming off losses. Streaks aren't a big deal to me unless it'll help boost a matchup to main event or co-main status. I try to mix up the divisions in my matches, but I'm not married to it and I'm willing to put together a single division-heavy card if those are the intriguing available fights at the time.

My Title matches are all about the rankings, though I don't require it to be the #1 vs. #2 since that fight is often unavailable for a few months. However any contender has to be at least in the top 5. I'm even willing to move someone's division if I feel it'll make a hell of a main event. Like right now I have a card coming up for a title between my top 2 P4P fighters, who are actually in different divisions normally.

Archived