I'm relatively new to the GDS community and one thing I'm struggling to understand is the concept of starting a diary to go along with your game on TEW. When I play non-diary games, I usually book 2-4 shows per sitting, however, I would imagine when you're game is tied down to a diary you can't necessarily do that. In some cases, you may have to book 1 show every few days at the most, which ruins the concept of booking many shows while you play the game. The point is, when people write diaries do they tie themselves down to just 1 show a week? Also, are diaries basically what you do in TEW but written on the forum for people to see, and in more detail? If so, I wonder what stops people from "cheating" and branching off from what they're actually doing in TEW.

I'd like to start my own diary one day, but it doesn't seem worth it to tie myself down to just 1 show a week. Do you diary writers out there have any reasons for why you do it? Is it worth all the writing? Whats the basic concept of a diary?

I'm relatively new to the GDS community and one thing I'm struggling to understand is the concept of starting a diary to go along with your game on TEW. When I play non-diary games, I usually book 2-4 shows per sitting, however, I would imagine when you're game is tied down to a diary you can't necessarily do that. In some cases, you may have to book 1 show every few days at the most, which ruins the concept of booking many shows while you play the game. The point is, when people write diaries do they tie themselves down to just 1 show a week? Also, are diaries basically what you do in TEW but written on the forum for people to see, and in more detail? If so, I wonder what stops people from "cheating" and branching off from what they're actually doing in TEW.

I'd like to start my own diary one day, but it doesn't seem worth it to tie myself down to just 1 show a week. Do you diary writers out there have any reasons for why you do it? Is it worth all the writing? Whats the basic concept of a diary?

For me, I wrote a diary to write a weekly wrestling show. Just like RAW or Impact, I would spend a week writing a script, then on Mondays instead of filming it in front of a live studio audience I'd post it here. The actual 'TEW' part of it was secondary, I simply wanted to write a wrestling show. It's not the same for everyone, but that was my motivation. I wanted to make people fall in love with the babyfaces, hate the heels, and have a fun time reading. Providing entertainment was the goal, and there seem to be a fair number of folks on here who respond to this form of entertainment. The actual TEW bits; the match ratings and whathaveyou, really didn't matter, and I usually just made it up as I went along. I don't think anyone cared.

The long wait between booking your shows IS a bit of a bummer. The temptation to just book 2-3 months on the trot is enormous, but you gotta be patient and enjoy the little moments. The writing is far more important than the gameplay. Diaries are a completely different animal to regular TEW-play, so it's always best to have at least one 'private' game on the go at the same time, so you can enjoy all the TEW-y goodness you can handle, without screwing up your diary.

I run two diaries down in the forum and I split things up between both booking ahead and booking one show and making sure to post it before I book the next one. One of the best things about diaries is the input you can receive. Directions you may not have thought of yourself can be done. Plus it helps me to enhance my writing skills. I have done both backstage stuff in a diary and just writing the shows specifically. Both have their merits and drawbacks. But right now and basically for as long as I've played TEW I don't play a game unless I am looking to make it into a diary. So I have two games going right now. My two diary games. I try to be as interactive with my diary as can be with things like the prediction contests and asking questions and just listening to the comments people make. With the prediction contests, I generally let people decide on a match to be booked for an upcoming pay-per-view.

Diaries...

Well, in the main it's a way to be creative. I know I use presentation aspects in my diaries as that's the creativity I want to get out of it - and if I think others may enjoy it, I share it. Others want to show their vision of booking wrestling shows. Others show their creativity in building a match write-up. Everyone that does a diary is different, but I think you need something that you are going to focus on creatively in your diary. If you're just going to post up exactly what you've done in the game, it's fairly pointless.

Second thing is real feedback which leads you to book differently. Playing a TEW game for myself is quite different to playing one where real people actually have an opinion on what I'm doing. It'll cause you to push people differently. In game, a guy's momentum might be through the roof and the fans desperate to see him get the next title shot - but can you transfer that feeling to actual people on these forums?

Yes, the writing takes time. As Self said, it's a good idea to have a diary game on the go and a different personal one where you would actually play the game more. However, I personallly don't really have time to play very often. I don't usually run a game other than my diary one. I'll play about 4 or 5 months worth in a few sittings when I have time and write it up for the diary. And then I might not touch the game for weeks, save posting up those write-ups. It does mean that, when I come back to playing the game, I haven't forgotten what has happened and lost track of or interest in my save game.

The final aspect is doing a bit of a service for the community - characters have popped up in diaries that have really caught the community's imagination. And it's really helpful to read a successful diary to get a handle on a promotion that you're not otherwise familiar with.

I think, at the end of the day, a diary helps the game become more immersive, simply because real people have an opinion on the decisions you make.

I personally ran the game a couple of months ahead of the diary. One weekend I would sit down and book one month's worth of shows and then carry on with another game. This did mean, however, that unlike angel I couldn't implement changes suggested by the reader straight away (although I did rebook an entire month early on) but that didn't stop anyone enjoying the diary (I hope!) - really it is up to you and how you enjoy to play the game. I ended up writing one show a week for the simple reason that to get it right takes time, and really people aren't going to read four shows a week in the same diary.

As for 'embellishing' or 'cheating,' again it is up to you. Most people write their diary for the story and the characters, not the grades or the popularity gains. You could easily turn off the repetitive booking penalty, book Tommy Cornell against RDJ in-game, and then pretend Aaron Andrews vs. Genghis Rahn got an A in the diary but really, why bother? You're writing a story, not a guide.

Diary writing, at least for me, is a way to be more involved in the game. Yes , it will go a lot slower than just playing it, but writing it out and sharing what you are doing allows you to visualize the game better, making it seem more realistic and deep. Also, it allows you to share your thoughts on how to book, your perception of various characters, and the story or events that play out in your game with the others on this forum in a more hands on and interactive way that just a quick recap topic of this is where I am at in game now. Wrestling at it's best is storytelling and this is the way we can tell the stories of our games.

I recommend anyone who has the slightest interest in it to at least try writing a diary. It doesn't have to be deep or full of graphics, or even more than you copy and pasting results and then just filling in the blanks a little, but I guarantee you that once you have written a diary from this game, you will never be able to look at playing this game quite the same way again. :D

I do diaries, because it's a fun way to be creative plus just being a wrestling fans for so long it allows me to be part of the "creative team" of a company. After playing the TEW series for the time I have, I honestly can't see myself playing a game without doing a diary. Just booking the shows to book the shows now seems boring to me.

While I use the 2005 version, (I personally like it the best). I have created 3 dairies (well 2 actually, I am considering the last two to be 2 parts of the same diary).

My pride and joy (the new era of Danger and Violence Extreme)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14689

I would spend days just planing out shows and angles but it was fun to do, for me. Though I still have it saved in word and I am think my desktop computer still has the file on it, the diary did not get a proper ending. The actually diary itself hit 692 pages in word as well as hundreds of other pages that included things like monthly setups, storylines, etc.

In the end it's up to you really how deep you get into your diaries and why you do it. (mine usually go overboard compared to others but that's ok).

My diary is meant to be fun for myself and readers. So I've used the editor on a number of occasions if I thought it would help the story. I've also turned off a number of the more annoying game penalties (repetitive matches, small rosters, deleting advanced booking) because I see it as something of a sandbox game.

If the readers like it that's what really matters.

I would spend days just planing out shows and angles but it was fun to do, for me. Though I still have it saved in word and I am think my desktop computer still has the file on it, the diary did not get a proper ending. The actually diary itself hit 692 pages in word as well as hundreds of other pages that included things like monthly setups, storylines, etc.

Holy s**t. How did you do so much, thats mad.

During the course of my time on the forums I've discovered two reasons for doing diaries:

- To show off.

- To expand upon a game you really enjoy booking and share it with others.

The second type is definitely the most fun, and often I'll book several shows and make short notes on them as I go, just like playing normal TEW games but with the addition of note-taking. Then, when the urge strikes me, I write up the shows using the notes I've taken. This way there's less interruption to the game and you can still 'play' it as you go along.

The drawback to this is that if you play too far into the future your mind will be whirring with new ideas and storylines, and when you get around to writing your next show it'll be a case of "maaan, this happened ages ago. I wanna write about all the cool new stuff I did!".

I've tried to counter that in my latest attempt by booking in "blocks". So I'll book and note-take up to a certain point (either a big show or a show that has a big angle going down, prominent debut, etc), and then stop and write up the shows. That way I'm always writing the buildup to my latest "cool thing" and not getting too excited about the next one, because although I usually know roughly what it is going to be I haven't thought too much about it yet.

The other way I've done it in the past, when I was writing more for the creative writing than for the expanding the game part (my RIPW diary from '08) was to book a show at a time and write it up afterwards, and then have another game going which I can play more like a game. The problem with this approach is that you'll probably get more into your "game" saves than your "diary" save and end up ignoring the diary. ¬_¬

My reasons are myriad.

The primary reason I chose to do my current diary was both to promote my mod and to give ideas to others who might want to use women but can't really think of good characterizations. One of my previous diaries gave someone an idea on how to portray Cherry Bomb, for example. Plus, since there's often a dearth of diaries focused on women's wrestling, I have an automatic niche. :)

Writing diaries for me can be both frustrating and fun at the same time. I work similarly to Self in that I write each show in a rough script format (or at the very least, in outline form) and then book it. Okay, most of the time, I write a huge overarching first year booking plan and then structure the shows to hit certain benchmarks over that period. The frustration comes from the presentation method I chose so it takes me 2-3 hours to actually compose a single show. Half of that time is spent editing though (I tend to write up matches very much like a more detailed TNM output).

As far as writing a diary taking away from gameplay, I don't find that happens at all. I tend to have a dozen games going at the same time so keeping the diary separate and doing shows isn't that big a deal for me. The only problem I have is running multiple games with the same promotion in the same mod. I can often get confused so I just don't do that anymore. There's nothing 'tying [you] down' to one show a week either. Kucian's diary doesn't just do one show a week. Neither does infinitywpi's. I'd like to ramp up the rate of my shows since I'm itchin' to get to April, being when a 'big' moment occurs.

During the course of my time on the forums I've discovered two reasons for doing diaries:

- To show off.

- To expand upon a game you really enjoy booking and share it with others.

The second type is definitely the most fun, and often I'll book several shows and make short notes on them as I go, just like playing normal TEW games but with the addition of note-taking. Then, when the urge strikes me, I write up the shows using the notes I've taken. This way there's less interruption to the game and you can still 'play' it as you go along.

The drawback to this is that if you play too far into the future your mind will be whirring with new ideas and storylines, and when you get around to writing your next show it'll be a case of "maaan, this happened ages ago. I wanna write about all the cool new stuff I did!".

I've tried to counter that in my latest attempt by booking in "blocks". So I'll book and note-take up to a certain point (either a big show or a show that has a big angle going down, prominent debut, etc), and then stop and write up the shows. That way I'm always writing the buildup to my latest "cool thing" and not getting too excited about the next one, because although I usually know roughly what it is going to be I haven't thought too much about it yet.

The other way I've done it in the past, when I was writing more for the creative writing than for the expanding the game part (my RIPW diary from '08) was to book a show at a time and write it up afterwards, and then have another game going which I can play more like a game. The problem with this approach is that you'll probably get more into your "game" saves than your "diary" save and end up ignoring the diary. ¬_¬

Basically this.

Whenever I start a game up, whether I intend for it to be a diary I always make notes that are short but clear for me to understand. It means I can go back and read on what is happening if ever I have a memory lapse and forget that James Justice beat T-Rex 6 months ago. But also they're there for if I decide to make a diary out of it.

I tried to a diary, but didn't have the feel for it. It's really not that easy to do.

Ya might have a great idea, and a wicked start, then peter off because you don't know what you want to happen next.

Also, ya have to devote a lot of time to it. Between playing the game, making sure to come to the forums all the time, writing, editing and formatting, working on getting the graphics you need.....

It can be really daunting. That's what killed me, ultimately. I didn't have the time to devote to it.

So I just did graphics for people....

I did not get the draw to diaries either at one time. And then I read some of them and I found them to be an awsome read. Now I have written or wrote three diaries myself (Two game diaries and one fictional diary that has nothing to do with the game).

As far as what I do, well with my old NYCW diary I played months in advance. And then I would do the show write-ups once a week that is because it usually took me about five hours a show to write and I did terrible match write-ups. If I were better at doing match write-ups who knows how long it would take. In my current RIPW diary I play one show at a time. The write-ups still take forever but in order for me to enjoy the diary more I am only going to post them when I feel like it, instead of trying to hit a once a week deadline.

In regards to why I write a diary on here, well I do it for fun. I know others take diaries on here ultra serious, but for me it is just something that I do for the heck of it. If you enjoy it, well that is cool. If not, well that is all right I dislike tons of television shows that the vast majority of the people like, so different strokes for different folks I suppose.

And I am not going to lie, I cheat. Not so much in my diary games as in my personal games. However, there is still an element of cheating involved. Much like KucianCarter I never play with owners goals, repetitive matches, and deleting advanced booking. I mean I never play with them on in my personal games so why should I change in my diary game? I feel that they also restrict me and what I like to do.

I do it like self said to entertain I only use the game for ratings and little structure while doing a diary. If you would like to do a diary you could do it however you like you could book as many shows as you want and just go back and write them its all up to you.

I just have to post here. :)

At various times I've been addicted to diaries... and completely turned off of them. When I'm really into a game of my own I tend to read more diaries too and the quality of some of the writing is sometimes mindblowingly awesome. There are some diaries I've loved so much that I'd take time from doing other fun things just to sit in and read, with Scapino's old SWF diary being one of my favourites of all time. A great diary is generally far better than anything on TV in real life and therefore worth a read.

As a writer I've started many diaries but always end up petering out fairly quickly. I've never felt that I've lacked quality, but actually finding a format that is quick and enables me to continue quickly is something that I've never been able to do. I simply don't have the patience to stick to writing in the long term but I've contnued some of the diary games once I've given up on the writing and loved them.

The best bit about diary writing for me is breathing life into my characters. I started an SWF diary a while back and ended up developing characters far differently than I would've if it was simply me playing TEW. A developing storyline I had between Joe Sexy, Frederique Antonio Garcia, Jenny Playmate and Zeus Maxmillion... it was going to be awesome. Cutting that short is something I wish I hadn't done, but writing everything takes a long time and I've found I get frustrated too easily.

If anyone ever wants to check out a promising start to a diary, check out anything I've ever written. Just be prepared to be disappointed when it inevitably dies. :p

I've never read a diary and never had the urge to look at one. I never even had a thought about writing one until recently.

I'm changing my perspective on them slowly because I think it would be a great way to promote a mod which Remi mentioned in his reply.

There are several mods that utilize a different "verse" then TEW's default Cornellverse and a diary would be a great vehicle to use to get promotions, characters, etc. from a new "verse" some exposure and possibly help form a connection between the new characters and the people who may play your mod.

I think every diary writier is likely to have their own specific reasons for undertaking a project. Personally, its a chance to write, to have some creativity, and to hopefully entertain some people - three things I enjoy.

I also find that doing a diary - or at least approaching a game as if its being done for a diary - keeps things more... concise. If I'm just doing a normal "mess-around" game, I tend to end up power-gaming. Just booking for grades. It becomes about picking matches that will grade strong instead of what helps in storyline terms. I pick the angles that will result in the best grades, instead of being the most entertaining or fit the situation best. That can still happen to an extent in a diary, but its far less prevalent.

For me the main reason for a diary is to keep me honest. Great chemistry? I need to find a reason to keep running that match, rather than just booking it for ratings. High menace workers? In theory I could put them in every angle rated on Menace... which wouldn't be realistic for the angles booked. So sometimes they'll have far worse angles rated on Entertainment... because those are the skills they're using.

But then it actually helps me tell a story. The way I write up a six man match will introduce some interaction I never considered while simply booking the match in TEW. This takes storylines in different directions - but more involved, intelligent directions. Whether this comes across in my writing is quite another thing - I doubt it does - but it does immerse myself more in my game.

Once I've written out my shows, I may as well post them. If people read along and enjoy, great. If not... I'm enjoying my game more. You do have to strike a balance though - my first TEW diary was TEW2004, and I wrote detailed match reports, and as such only managed nine months game time before burning out - and this was despite really enjoying the game. If you want to concentrate on playing the game, you don't have to write massively detailed diaries - I don't, and there are far less detailed (award winning) diaries out there. However, if you're simply happy playing the game there's nothing wrong with continuing to do that. Writing a diary doesn't necessarily make you any better at the game, or your game any better. I enjoy it more - it doesn't mean you will.

I keep a diary because it's fun. Because it helps me gel who a character actually is in my head.

And for what I think of as the Horsemen/Socko Factor,

Arn Anderson delivered a throwaway line in 1985. It turned into a stable that ran, with interruptions, until 1999.

As part of a series of gags, Mick Foley included a sock puppet as a throwaway gag. It became a major part of his character.

Anderson's line was not scripted by the booker. The creative team did not dictate a sock puppet. They grabbed them after the fact, but these are moments that cannot be simulated in the game.

On the other hand, you can be in the middle of writing up what's actually said in the promo - not the gist of it, the specific words - and find yourself going in a direction you'd never planned, because the character's just become clear. Because you suddenly realise, writing it out, that you haven't given RDJ even a chance to earn a title shot in ages and the rationale for the feud changes, just enough that long-term plans shift, and suddenly your plan for next year's big rivalry has to adjust...

And that's fun.

My main problem is that every time I sit down to write up my results I fire up the game and think "Hmmm... 1 more show...".

As such, I'm now 2 months and 9 shows ahead and now I'm more excited about what I have going on in my game world than I am the build up I had.

The problem was, starting this company from scratch was strange... Very strange, because everything was new. No fueds had been done before, no characters had been played (not in my world anyway) and it was too fresh... Almost like a pair of jeans you've just bought. They never look or feel right until you've warn them a few times.

I need to push through the early hard to book shows to get to the point where the Game world has started to develop as have my stories and the characters within. Sometimes that's what I struggle with, getting to the top of the hill before letting go fully into characters and a world I've started to shape by myself.

I also find that doing a diary - or at least approaching a game as if its being done for a diary - keeps things more... concise. If I'm just doing a normal "mess-around" game, I tend to end up power-gaming. Just booking for grades. It becomes about picking matches that will grade strong instead of what helps in storyline terms. I pick the angles that will result in the best grades, instead of being the most entertaining or fit the situation best. That can still happen to an extent in a diary, but its far less prevalent.

God yes! In normal games, I'm running programs and stories based on what/who I think will perform best and crossing over my 'developmental' programs to rub off some heat onto them. In the diary game, I can't really do that because most of the time, it wouldn't make sense in text. Explaining it all could get unwieldy (but I sure as hell try, way too much).

As such, I'm now 2 months and 9 shows ahead and now I'm more excited about what I have going on in my game world than I am the build up I had.

YES! THIS! Right now, writing the slow burn to my top storyline is annoying me because I know what happens at the end (though I haven't played to that point, so I don't know if it'll pull the rating it pulled in testing).

Archived