I am running SWF and just signed a deal with CBA. According to the contract Show was to be telecast during Late Night on Tuesdays....While signing the contract the "Late Night" segment on Tuesdays was marked with WHITE which means SMASH HIT RATINGS but as soon as the networks announce their schedule at the end of the month the "white block-SMASH HIT RATINGS" changed into a "Red block- LOW RATINGS" and now I am getting very low ratings.How did the "Smash hit slot" suddenly change into "Very low rating slot" even before holding 1 show?

If it changes randomly each month then how are we supposed to sign a deal in order to get a Smash Hit Rating slot???

Secondly No Network would give me a "Prime Time Slot" even though I am at 95 prestige.Why? Please Help!!!

Thirdly how in the world am I supposed to change the Time slot without canceling the contract and then renegotiating. If canceling the contract is the only way then what happens if the network won't let me cancel the contract? I have 48 episodes left with them:eek:

If they will not allow you to cancel then you are stuck for 48 episodes unless you take the hit in prestige by cancelling 3 shows after one another. You can change time slots by hopping between networks, still think it should be an option with renegotiation though. No need to cancel the contract if it is set to run out. At that time you are free to negotiate elsewhere. Networks decide slot mainly their attitude towards wrestling, economy, industry and your size and popularity. Momentum also helps, prestige not that I know off.

They change the schedule after every negotiation period so it is a bit of a luck of the draw situation. In general closer to prime time is better. But also consider that they will give you less ad revenue or help with the production costs and that you will get stiffer opposition.

Could also be that more pro wrestling television networks are more inclined to make a wrestling slot one of their more focused slots but not sure on that.

The coloured block ratings guides aren't exactly random, but they're recalculated every season. They're a guide as to what the network expects given the quality of the shows in those slots vs. their competitors. It's not a direct reflection on YOUR product, they just don't expect many people to watch their station in that slot because one or more other stations have a smash hit ratings-grabber competing with it.

It's not saying they expect your shows to get low ratings because you suck. It's saying that they expect your show to get low ratings because other shows are really popular at the moment. It's quite unusual to see such a massive season-to-season plummet as you've experienced there, so you simply got unlucky. :( Another TV station must've got a brilliant new show, or one of it's old ones had a really great season. Or, conversely, the smash-hit ratings grabber moved to another network or another night (obviously, since you're there now. What I mean is, if your slot used to be occupied by a hot TV show, that might be a good thing because the people that kept that slot free for the previous show might continue to do so for your show (the previous show might even have gone to prime time on the same night and give you a nice run-in)... unfortunately in your case it seems the show must've gone to another network or a different night (or been cancelled) and another network has a killer show in the same slot, which is terrible news for you :p).

As for your other questions... TV negotiations is one area I have very little experience with at all, so I'll leave you in the capable hands of.. someone else. :p

Secondly No Network would give me a "Prime Time Slot" even though I am at 95 prestige.Why? Please Help!!!

Who are you, really? You expect a network to give you their most coveted time slot just because you're a big wrestling company? Think about that for a second. You can get a prime time slot very easily...AFTER you have a track record with THAT network. Jerry Bruckheimer could pitch ANYTHING to CBS and get it broadcast...why? Track record with THAT network. Joss Whedon probably couldn't get ANYTHING put on Fox, for the same reason (hello Firefly). Dick Wolf with NBC is another good example. TCW could probably get a prime time slot for anything they want from GNN....because they have a track record with GNN. It's unlikely any network of a large enough size to be suitable for SWF is going to give you their best time slot just because you walked in off the street. If you tried a Small or Very Small network, they most likely WOULD (because you're far and away large enough to produce their best ratings ever, relative to their size).

All that said, some time slots are more predictable/consistent than others. Evening, Prime Time, and Late Evening have always worked well for me. What's cool about it though is if your time slot is hot (High or Smash Hit ratings), you have more people watching (closer to the maximum value of the network's size category) which means your workers gobble up overness faster in that broadcast area.

• 1 year later...
The coloured block ratings guides aren't exactly random, but they're recalculated every season. They're a guide as to what the network expects given the quality of the shows in those slots vs. their competitors. It's not a direct reflection on YOUR product, they just don't expect many people to watch their station in that slot because one or more other stations have a smash hit ratings-grabber competing with it.

It's not saying they expect your shows to get low ratings because you suck. It's saying that they expect your show to get low ratings because other shows are really popular at the moment. It's quite unusual to see such a massive season-to-season plummet as you've experienced there, so you simply got unlucky. :( Another TV station must've got a brilliant new show, or one of it's old ones had a really great season. Or, conversely, the smash-hit ratings grabber moved to another network or another night (obviously, since you're there now. What I mean is, if your slot used to be occupied by a hot TV show, that might be a good thing because the people that kept that slot free for the previous show might continue to do so for your show (the previous show might even have gone to prime time on the same night and give you a nice run-in)... unfortunately in your case it seems the show must've gone to another network or a different night (or been cancelled) and another network has a killer show in the same slot, which is terrible news for you :p).

As for your other questions... TV negotiations is one area I have very little experience with at all, so I'll leave you in the capable hands of.. someone else. :p

sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking at everything TV atm. If it's just expected ratings, and it changes, how much does that affect my actual ratings? Am I better off taking the bad slot and hoping to turn it around, while getting revenue? Or is the disparity between say an orange and dark red so great that it's just not going to happen?

also after simming, it does appear random. I redo the last day of the negotiating month over and over and get completely ifferent results each time. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

And as a seperate question, I know there is a limit to one new show per negotiation perdiod, is there a limit to show expansion? i.e. could I extend my show to mexico and canada, or only one of the two?

You can't change your timeslot with your current network which is a big annoyance to all of us. The only way to change your timeslot is to change networks. You can change the airdate but not the timeslot.

That's a big pain in the arse. My company is a lot more popular than when I got the deal two years previous, so surely the network would consider moving it to a better time slot even if they didn't do it.

Can it be changed in the editor? I'm not normally one for doing something like that, but if it's a design flaw in the game and I consider it a realistic proposition, I do it on a rare occasion.

Just to clarify Eidenhoek's post, that is per SHOW so if you have 2 shows you have 1 each for each show, and of course, that is accepted offers as you can ask all you want (sure everyone knew that but just in case someone didn't there it is).

Nobby, pretty sure you can't edit the timeslot in the editor. I think the thought was that the player would keep moving networks as they grew their company, but yes, it is a serious pain if you end up on the best network for your size early on (which as someone who reads your diary I know you did). Hopefully, this will be adjusted in the next TEW.

The only thing I could see is if you cancelled the show in the renewal month and tried to start a new show on that network. Even then, they may be too mad at you to re-sign you.

Just to clarify Eidenhoek's post, that is per SHOW so if you have 2 shows you have 1 each for each show, and of course, that is accepted offers as you can ask all you want (sure everyone knew that but just in case someone didn't there it is).

Nobby, pretty sure you can't edit the timeslot in the editor. I think the thought was that the player would keep moving networks as they grew their company, but yes, it is a serious pain if you end up on the best network for your size early on (which as someone who reads your diary I know you did). Hopefully, this will be adjusted in the next TEW.

The only thing I could see is if you cancelled the show in the renewal month and tried to start a new show on that network. Even then, they may be too mad at you to re-sign you.

I was under the impression you could move time slots in '10. Oh well. Also one more ? just to clarify the response above. I am on National Pride. Is it possible to move my show to the POP network AND expand the same show to Mexico, or is it just one or the other during one negotiation period (the idea being it could get me TV exposure Mexico and Canada that I don't currently have).

No you can't because you would be using your Expand Show option for the POP network. That's the option you have to use to switch networks with an existing show. So, you'd either have to stay one more cycle on Pride and expand to Mexico or switch networks and expand to Mexico next cycle. I'd still shoot for both just in case you get shot down on your 1st choice (or they don't want to give you any money or a decent timeslot etc). Just put your first choice in a few days before your 2nd so it pops up first (renewals with the existing network always seem to pop up earlier than expansion attempts too).

Archived