Onlive - Your Thoughts?

StudioStu

Onlive will be launching this month, what are your thoughts or predictions on the service? I wouldn't say that it's going to kill console gaming, but it does have major potential. From what I hear it's going to be 15 bucks a month. That's not bad so I'll probably check it out for at least one month just to see how it plays. If you haven't heard of it, check it out here.

it could mean trouble for windows if it works pc games on macs. The only reason i use glitchy windows based computers is for games so if it does run on macs il be getting a mac

Yupp its gonna be for macs also

I think this'll be best for Mac users, personally. I can't see it putting a dent into the PC market for several reasons (one of which Moe pointed out). I already have throughput issues when I have all of my rigs going at once and short of installing an OC-3 in my basement, this isn't going to help that any.

Besides, I'd want to have my internet connection tied up to play offline games why?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I received my invite from Onlive and have been using it for a few days now. Here are my thoughts...

Pros:

-It really does feel like I'm playing the games locally, no noticeable lag.

-Graphics look really nice.

-No installation for games is great.

-You can demo any game, full version for 30 minutes at a time, as many times as you want.

-You can rent games for pretty good prices.

Cons

-Full purchase price for some games seems a bit steep considering the type of service.

-There are a few games being advertised on their site that are not showing up on the games list.

-Since internet speeds fluctuate throughout the day, quality may go down at certain times.

So far, I'm enjoying using the service. I really haven't had much trouble with it. I'm looking forward to more games being added. Has anyone else gotten in?

I signed up for the waiting list and hopefully I'll get some info about it soon. It seems like a very nice concept and if you have a nice internet connection I'd imagine this would work fairly well depending on how many users are active. Considering it's still in the beta stages right now I wouldn't imagine lag is a problem. I'm sure that's their primary goal in making sure that they iron out all network issues before going live. I doubt I would invest much into this but I figured it would be neat to try out.

Archived