Chess Maniac just took over MAW

Guest codey
Rip retired, and Jay failed to take hold of the company. What is it exactly that causes him to become owner?

Guest codey
I guess I should've been clearer: What causes Jay to take over most of the time? We went without an owner for over a month, and I kept waiting on Jay to step in. When Chess Maniac did, I was full of disappointment.

Guest codey
Jay walked out as he usually does during my games, but his relationship remained at blood relative to Rip. Would him being under a written contract with SWF at the time of retirement have anything to do with it?

Jay walked out as he usually does during my games, but his relationship remained at blood relative to Rip. Would him being under a written contract with SWF at the time of retirement have anything to do with it?

Pretty much that makes the game consider him unavailable, does it not? It has that effect on preferred owners for debuting promotions - if they are under written deals, they won't become the owner.

Guest codey
Yep then it can't happen I think. Dude needs to be available. Weird that Rip didn't auto resigned him as he should do. Did you pull out of negotiations in time? Or did it totally fail?

I never saw anything about any sort of negotiations with Jay at all.

I never saw anything about any sort of negotiations with Jay at all.

So SWF successfully stole him from you? That's such an odd save game because usually he will turn it down and be loyal to MAW. The positive is you don't have a prick for a boss. I on the other hand don't have that luxury. ;)

Guest codey
So SWF successfully stole him from you? That's such an odd save game because usually he will turn it down and be loyal to MAW. The positive is you don't have a prick for a boss. I on the other hand don't have that luxury. ;)

At least Jay's talented! I, on the other hand, am stuck with an enhancement talent who's notfigure particularly good in the ring and sucks it up on the mic. I've gotta find an Eric Bischoff-type character now to sub as my authority.

At least Jay's talented! I, on the other hand, am stuck with an enhancement talent who's notfigure particularly good in the ring and sucks it up on the mic. I've gotta find an Eric Bischoff-type character now to sub as my authority.

I've honestly found that no talent is worth the headaches that a full-on prick creates in the game. There are almost always going to be some talented guys available before too long. Maybe not guys you can count on keeping long-term, but at least you can have them for a time.

Jay is talented but I still have a grudge against him for doing damage to Mean Jean Cattley's rental car and then picking a fight with him... leading to hatred between the two. I had a goal to job him out of the company from Jay - it was the first goal he gave me in fact (when he took over for Rip around 2015 or so). To have the only older guy on the roster (not the most social) but still that guy who would be able to help develop the younger guys in the ring. Losing that was really crappy and it was during a time when TCW, SWF, NOTBPW, and CGC were dominating everything in sight. Nobody was available in the game world that could fill that gap at the time.

Wow wow wow. Chess Maniac may not be a Jay Chord but the dude has serious talent. And how about not using an authority?

Guest codey
Wow wow wow. Chess Maniac may not be a Jay Chord but the dude has serious talent. And how about not using an authority?

He's distinctly average in the game I have going now. I don't know if he just doesn't have a high destiny stat, or he took an injury earlier on, but he's just not that good in the game I'm running now.

And as for authority figures, I can't help it. I like to have them around so the fans don't just think the wrestlers are running things. I even ran angles with the wrestlers running wild on the shows and making a general mess of everything. Even lead to a Jean Cattely heel turn and subsequent title shot.

The ragging on Chess Maniac upsets me. :p

Sure, his entertainment skills aren't awesome, but C- charisma makes him better than most of MAW's initial roster, even if the D- mic skills does hold him back a bit (then again, he can't speak very much English anyway).

But in the ring... he must've been run over by a truck multiple times in your game, because he starts off as a veeeery solid luchador, with performance skills that rival Mean Jean's.

In fact, in a lot of ways he's BETTER than Mean Jean at their respective styles, and considerably younger. He's better in top row skills, and the only real thing that Cattley has on him is consistency. So... I dunno what happened to the poor guy in your game. :(

On top of that of course, his character is awesome.

Guest codey

Well, some good has come of this.

Almost a year later, and fresh out of SWF, I've gotten Jay Chord on my roster. Now, I've always been of the opinion that he's got the horrible attitude because "The boss is my daddy," and "I'm the boss," so I went into the editor and checked him a little. He's still a negative influence, just not the extremely negative influence he's always been. Growth as a person, if you will.

If that doesn't scream storyline to you, then you need to hand in your booking book.

I mean, the return of the prodigal son, who feels entitled to everything that Chess Maniac has built up in the past year. There's at least a six to 12 month story line right there.

If that doesn't scream storyline to you, then you need to hand in your booking book.

I mean, the return of the prodigal son, who feels entitled to everything that Chess Maniac has built up in the past year. There's at least a six to 12 month story line right there.

Jay Chord comes in, seeks to ruin Chess Maniac's MAW... you could draw that into a straight up war. Oh, so good. The opportunities.

Guest codey

I've been waiting on starting that storyline exactly. Currently I have him playing Kid Leone, my masked character that I've had KC Glenn play before to some success. I just got my tv deal and the RCI is this month, so I'm thinking of giving him a win and reveal.

That said, it's not Chess Maniac I've been running as owner. Storyline wise, I use a board of directors, with Larry Wood(who coincidentally retired around the same time as Rip) as GM. His menace stat helps make some great promos and keeps him relevant. Chess Maniac's currently sitting at the lower end of my card getting the occasional win. I just can't justify using him much when I only get an hour of tv time a week.

Archived