Tag Team Storylines

I typically just use unchained storylines, but really they usually all follow the same patterns; a lot of singles matches between members, generally the heels will win the one I want them to via interference from the non-wrestling member, along with six- and eight-man tags that coincide with another feud. Run-ins or post match attacks with the other team, a more charismatic member of the team coming down for commentary during their opponents' matches, somewhat basic stuff like that. Really, a tag feud is just the same as a singles feud, except you have more names to play with in it.

I always like the old 'Freebirds Hair Cream' angle, or something similar. Essentially, the heel team somehow puts one member of the face team out of action (whether by blinding hair cream or other nefarious methods), forcing the remaining face member to recruit new partners against the heels. As a bonus, this gives you a chance to play around with chemistry. Then your 'injured' face team member can come back after a few weeks/months and vow revenge. This can spin-off several ways - the returning face can injure a heel, the returning face can be hurt again, or this can lead to a blow-off match ending the feud. Only problem is that it can't be done repeatedly. Gets a little stale if you always have a face team one member down.

I always like the old 'Freebirds Hair Cream' angle, or something similar. Essentially, the heel team somehow puts one member of the face team out of action (whether by blinding hair cream or other nefarious methods), forcing the remaining face member to recruit new partners against the heels. As a bonus, this gives you a chance to play around with chemistry. Then your 'injured' face team member can come back after a few weeks/months and vow revenge. This can spin-off several ways - the returning face can injure a heel, the returning face can be hurt again, or this can lead to a blow-off match ending the feud. Only problem is that it can't be done repeatedly. Gets a little stale if you always have a face team one member down.

I sometimes freshen it up by having the heels bring in extra support (typically some monster/hired gun type), rather than the faces losing a guy.

Which, naturally, has the added benefit of then allowing the faces to bring in another ally as well to even the odds. Heck, I've had stables formed that way...

To volley off of that, I am trying to build up my tag team division in 1998 WCW in the Montreal Aftermath mod. Right now, my only three teams of any real worth are:

The Outsiders ©

Benoit & Malenko (feuding with the Outsiders)

Ultimo Dragon & Tajiri

Generation Mex: Juventude Guerrera & Super Crazy (typically jobbers)

The Hardy Boyz (jobbers)

I just signed Steve Williams, and I want to pair him with someone to go after Dragon and Tajiri.

Thoughts on a great tag team parter for Steve in 1998?

Try bringing in Vader or Mike Rotundo(IRS). I believe those were his most famous tag partners.

Vader would be my pick.

WHAT TIME IS IT?!

VADER TIME!

Vader would be epic, though he's currently signed by WWF.

I might pair him with a younger guy. I've got Rhino in developmental, might be a good way to go.

Vader would be epic, though he's currently signed by WWF.

I might pair him with a younger guy. I've got Rhino in developmental, might be a good way to go.

Oh Rhino would be good. I was never Dr Death's biggest fan, but you could use him to elevate Rhino easily.

Since 2010 has made tags a little less brutal i use them a lot to be honest. i am a USPW person(love how i can get people to A* pop in a month) and generally i use lots of 2 and 3 man tags to use most of my roster up and keep people moving up the card.

my current game is only about a year in but the base USPW tags are all around (champion force, the titans(tyson/t-rex), towers of power, peoples team(des and freddie) as well as a few younger teams to (rhino+samoan machine, keith boys, american storm(D.C. and eddie howard) to fill in the ranks. having so many teams allows me to run a 2 v 2, a 3 v 3 w/ a main eventer on each side, and a 2 v 2 v 2 on each show if i want and i do for tv tapings.

this lets me keep a bloated roster that i like while still using everyone w/ the undercard. this is great too esp conisdering i can mix tag for the 3 v 3 for the womens division as well.

I used to do away with tag divisions entirely. After reading about Remi's methods for development, though, I've found them to be invaluable. Anyway, small tangent!

I usually run performance-based, so I'm not too storyline savvy, but I would suggest looking for some storyline/angle packs in the Mods section to at least get your creative juices flowing. There's all sorts of good stuff out there.

Besides the obvious 'part of a stable' thing that I abuse without remorse, I have 'em in storylines with each other and their managers. For example, in my diary game, Seek & Destroy (and Krystyna) are in a storyline with The Crush Gals (and Monique). Generally speaking, the only tag team storylines I worry about are the main event level ones and the one surrounding my tag titles.

I used to love the old school feel where tag teams used to stay together through thick and thin, and there seemed to be a genuine affinity to long term tag feuds. So that's what I've aimed to do in my current diary. Beyond that, I've been building up a series of tag teams to come underneath and build a wide range of opponents. The idea is really not only to get longevity but to get it to a chaotic point where there is genuine reason to believe there are a wide range of contenders.

In terms of feuding ideas, none of it is overly complicated, just making the tag titles valuable again.

Archived