trying to put together an announce team

im trying to assemble an announce team but id like some cornellverse fanatic peoples inputs...

i look at these guys in this way:

Mayhem Midden - to me, anyway, represents *SORT OF* a early 90's macho man randy savage as a colour commentator...

Arson Wells - I rename him Lord Arson Wells and to me he is something of a Lord Alfred Hayes except younger and not limited to just colour commentating... as if Lord Alfred were to manage as well back in his day.

Marv Earnest - I dunno why... maybe from an old thread where we were comparing C-Verse looks with real world but I always figured him a Michael Cole type.

So im trying to find a Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan type... I cant quite figure out who would best represent them in the C-Verse. I dunno why but Herb Stately (i could be wrong about that name...i dont use the guy much) reminds me of Cyrus The Virus/The Network.... Peter Michaels reminds me of JR. Jason Azaria reminds me of Tony Schiavone for some reason and Kyle Rhodes a Mike Tenay but on Colour instead of play by play. Shane Sneer reminds me of a managing/commentating era Ted DiBiase.

I used to think of Micky Starr as Jesse The Body Ventura but something didnt fit... i have the WWE Classics On Demand ive had it for years but only in recent months have i seen the late 80's WWE effort to bring back Superstar Billy Graham... He was suppossed to be involved in the first ever Survivor Series but due to health reasons was reduced to managing Don Muraco and currently in the series of Prime Time Wrestling's that have been available I am watching the feud in which Greg Valentine supposedly put The Superstar completely in retirement after locking him in the figure four and thus Muraco is without Graham and going after Valentine for revenge. Graham on the other hand i see in the Big Ones section of the shows as well as other events ive been ordering and seeing him as a Colour Commentator i definitely see the stronger/better comparison of Micky Starr to Superstar Graham instead of Ventura.

At any rate... I thought maybe i could go with The Master Of Minds for Heenan but the distinct lack of skill on the MoM made that impossible. Maybe the Guru would be a good representation of Heenan?

How about Gorilla?

....ive been around since before TEW came out so i dont need any responses telling me that the C-Verse characters are not based off of real life workers. Ive seen all those threads ive created my share of them and i know that Adam said once a long long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) that there are some guys in the Verse that are based off of multiple characteristics of real life guys.... so i dont need to hear that. I know that already but just like the Jim Force stuff we were going bananas about awhile ago (Force is equal to Warrior) and other parallels weve drawn over the years that's what im going for here. If you think that I think all the C-Verse guys are based off real life guys then you are totally missing the point of what im saying.

im trying to assemble an announce team but id like some cornellverse fanatic peoples inputs...

i look at these guys in this way:

Mayhem Midden - to me, anyway, represents *SORT OF* a early 90's macho man randy savage as a colour commentator...

Arson Wells - I rename him Lord Arson Wells and to me he is something of a Lord Alfred Hayes except younger and not limited to just colour commentating... as if Lord Alfred were to manage as well back in his day.

Marv Earnest - I dunno why... maybe from an old thread where we were comparing C-Verse looks with real world but I always figured him a Michael Cole type.

So im trying to find a Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan type... I cant quite figure out who would best represent them in the C-Verse. I dunno why but Herb Stately (i could be wrong about that name...i dont use the guy much) reminds me of Cyrus The Virus/The Network.... Peter Michaels reminds me of JR. Jason Azaria reminds me of Tony Schiavone for some reason and Kyle Rhodes a Mike Tenay but on Colour instead of play by play. Shane Sneer reminds me of a managing/commentating era Ted DiBiase.

I used to think of Micky Starr as Jesse The Body Ventura but something didnt fit... i have the WWE Classics On Demand ive had it for years but only in recent months have i seen the late 80's WWE effort to bring back Superstar Billy Graham... He was suppossed to be involved in the first ever Survivor Series but due to health reasons was reduced to managing Don Muraco and currently in the series of Prime Time Wrestling's that have been available I am watching the feud in which Greg Valentine supposedly put The Superstar completely in retirement after locking him in the figure four and thus Muraco is without Graham and going after Valentine for revenge. Graham on the other hand i see in the Big Ones section of the shows as well as other events ive been ordering and seeing him as a Colour Commentator i definitely see the stronger/better comparison of Micky Starr to Superstar Graham instead of Ventura.

At any rate... I thought maybe i could go with The Master Of Minds for Heenan but the distinct lack of skill on the MoM made that impossible. Maybe the Guru would be a good representation of Heenan?

How about Gorilla?

....ive been around since before TEW came out so i dont need any responses telling me that the C-Verse characters are not based off of real life workers. Ive seen all those threads ive created my share of them and i know that Adam said once a long long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) that there are some guys in the Verse that are based off of multiple characteristics of real life guys.... so i dont need to hear that. I know that already but just like the Jim Force stuff we were going bananas about awhile ago (Force is equal to Warrior) and other parallels weve drawn over the years that's what im going for here. If you think that I think all the C-Verse guys are based off real life guys then you are totally missing the point of what im saying.

I don't know there's really a way to replicate the exact feel you're going for. The closest thing I can think of to a Monsoon type off the top of my head is the aforementioned Mayem Midden. Retired dirty rulebreaker type of heel brawler turned broadcaster in his old age. Only not quite as good at it or as practiced as Monsoon was.

No check that. Going through the announcers as I type this and the guy you probably want is Rock Downpour. Youngish in terms of retired wrestlers turned broadcaster. Like Midden and Monsoon probably a reformed rulebreaker. In Downpour's case, mellowed by failure to break through in addition to the retirement factor.

For Heenan, I gotta ask which version of the C-Verse you're using. I play the Queens of Chaos and Stetson Hatt has been sat down. Which is a shame because if he hadn't left the business he'd be a good one for you. Scheming manager who might have managed Downpour during his career. Perhaps making for a dynamic even beyond Monsoon/Heenan.

I like you're Master of Minds idea. When all the "Will you stop" and stuff breaks down on Downpour, Rock could resort to pulling out fat jokes on him.

Stately makes me think first and foremost of former Apter mag columnist Stately Wayne Manor. But that's because of the name. Lookwise, he seems like a white Clarence Mason or a more controlled Paul E. Dangerously. Rhodes and Azaria you have reversed in my mind. Azaria is Tenay back when Mike was allowed to be in full Professor form and Rhodes is Schiavone if either of them is. But I don't see that all. Rhodes strikes me more as a Joe Pedecino made good. I do like the Arson Wells comparison and I could see Marv Earnest as well due to his look.

Also one thing I like doing is taking an underappreciated talent like an aging valet or a worker like The Minor Annoyance who's absolute garbage in the ring but has Entertainment skills and putting them on color. Your Monsoon/Heenan analogy leads me to believe you're doing a big time fed. So what you could do is grab like an Eliza Buckley or Abi Romanov type, stick her on your B show to get polished and then make her your Heenan with something of a Missy Hyatt or Lita on Heat kind of twist. But keep in mind that kind of polishing could be a project. If you are big time, you may not want to take the time for that. But as a smaller fed, that could be a good way to create the effect you seek on the cheap.

I wasn't a fan back in the Monsoon days, so I'm not sure what sort of character he had, but I've always seen Shane Sneer as far more of a Heenan than a DiBiase. The only real link with DiBiase is the fact that his most associated stable has the word "corporation" in it. :p

The ultimate Heenan though is The Guru, surely?

Sara Silver. Everyone I've ever put her with she's had good to great chemistry with. Brought her in to CZCW great chemistry with Cliff. Then I brought in Remmington Remus when I hired Roderick, sat him at the announce table and great chemistry with Sara. She's got a B in Charisma and if you want to use her for other on screen roles she's got a great sex appeal.

And she plays a great bitchy heel role and she may even have the stats to play the Brain or The Genius. So she'd make a great heel foil for any face announcer.

Archived