Greatest match of all time?

Teh_Showtime

Am I the only one that thinks that Bret Hart vs SCSA at WM13 was the best match EVER? (as far as american wrestling goes) It had a great story, the match was better than the story, and the finish was done so well that put over Austin in a loss probably as much as a win would have.

Anyways here it is for your viewing pleasure:

Pt1:http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?more_url=%2Fmy_favorites&video_ids=E2znOEVTn24%2CIvX5WCShDeQ%2CcUrFj9onuzk%2CmlrDyU03p7k%2C_LIg6kmRJhY%2C6MaVwt9qGnk%2CfQnsmFLKSP8&type=7&index=2&no_autoplay=1

Pt2:http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?more_url=%2Fmy_favorites&video_ids=E2znOEVTn24%2CIvX5WCShDeQ%2CcUrFj9onuzk%2CmlrDyU03p7k%2C_LIg6kmRJhY%2C6MaVwt9qGnk%2CfQnsmFLKSP8&type=7&index=1&no_autoplay=1

Pt3:http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?more_url=%2Fmy_favorites&video_ids=E2znOEVTn24%2CIvX5WCShDeQ%2CcUrFj9onuzk%2CmlrDyU03p7k%2C_LIg6kmRJhY%2C6MaVwt9qGnk%2CfQnsmFLKSP8&type=7&no_autoplay=1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one that thinks that Bret Hart vs SCSA at WM13 was the best match EVER? (as far as american wrestling goes) It had a great story, the match was better than the story, and the finish was done so well that put over Austin in a loss probably as much as a win would have.

I don't think that you are the only one that believes that Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart from WM 13 is the greatest match ever because it was an amazing match. I would probably have to go with Shawn Micheals vs. The Undertaker from Wrestlemania 26. I know it was just this past year but I could watch that match over and over again because to me it was amazing.

I don't think that you are the only one that believes that Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart from WM 13 is the greatest match ever because it was an amazing match. I would probably have to go with Shawn Micheals vs. The Undertaker from Wrestlemania 26. I know it was just this past year but I could watch that match over and over again because to me it was amazing.

Are you sure it was the 2nd won...... because after watching both of them the first 1 (IMHO) was better then the second one.

Me personally I am going back to either

1) Flair vs Steamboat for the NWA title in 89

or

2) Foley vs Funk the exploding ring match. A bloody fight for your life match.

I have a few

sting vs fliar at the first class of the champions. The match that made sting a star

Foley vs funk *any of the japanes death matches*....Ok i am not a hardcore fan but its hard to not respect the two men after watching any of the death matches.

The I Quit match mentioned at the start of the topic ranks very high for me. Top 5 all-time, probably. I also really dug their match from Survivor Series a few months earlier. It's too bad that match seems to have been mostly forgotten in the wake of the even more awesome I Quit match.

Being a pretty big ROH mark these days, there are some ROH matches that I'll mention: Joe vs. Kobashi, Joe vs. Punk II, Danielson vs. McGuinness from Unified, and Danielson vs. KENTA from GBH are probably my favorites from ROH.

But my all-time favorite match is probably Undertaker vs. Michaels in the original Hell in a Cell. I know most people would say their matches from the past two WMs are better, but I'm biased because I saw the HIAC match live.

Joe vs. Kobashi

Seen that match...um, didn't think it was amazing to be honest, pretty average actually. The crowd was 5 stars, but Joe and Kobashi didn't really do all that much stunning, the most interesting thing about the match was a mega-chop battle.

Angle/Michaels at WM21 is really up there...they worked a headlock for 6 minutes, 6!

The I Quit match mentioned at the start of the topic ranks very high for me. Top 5 all-time, probably. I also really dug their match from Survivor Series a few months earlier. It's too bad that match seems to have been mostly forgotten in the wake of the even more awesome I Quit match.

Being a pretty big ROH mark these days, there are some ROH matches that I'll mention: Joe vs. Kobashi, Joe vs. Punk II, Danielson vs. McGuinness from Unified, and Danielson vs. KENTA from GBH are probably my favorites from ROH.

But my all-time favorite match is probably Undertaker vs. Michaels in the original Hell in a Cell. I know most people would say their matches from the past two WMs are better, but I'm biased because I saw the HIAC match live.

I keep forgetting you live in the St. Louis area. I was thinking "I was at that match, wait it was in St. Louis"

Seen that match...um, didn't think it was amazing to be honest, pretty average actually. The crowd was 5 stars, but Joe and Kobashi didn't really do all that much stunning, the most interesting thing about the match was a mega-chop battle.

A big part of it for me was that I'd seen so many Kobashi matches from Japan via tape, and after seeing Joe's awesomeness in ROH, this was a definite "dream match" for me. It definitely didn't have as much "OMG" stuff as one might normally see from a big Kobashi match, but the dream match aspect and the insanely hot crowd more than made up for that.

Angle/Michaels at WM21 is really up there...they worked a headlock for 6 minutes, 6!

Have you seen Joe vs. Punk II? I bet the headlock played an even bigger role in that match. There was even a point where I actually believed Joe was about to tap out. To a side headlock. Even though I knew the match ended in a 60 minute draw. Talk about suspending your disbelief.

HBK vs Hart / WM12 Iron Man Match

It's the greatest match of all time in my opinion. Wrestling for sixty minutes just to have a draw and then a sudden-death OT to determine the winner. It couldn't get more exciting than that. I'm not even sure how many times I've watched that match in its entirety (too many to count) or how many hours I've lost doing so. It's a match that stays with me for many different reasons. The greatest entrance of all time, Hebner speaking before the match, Gorilla Monsoon being out there to make sure everything went smoothly, and the crowd unsure of who to cheer for. Not to mention it was HBK's first WWF World title.

Everything surrounding that match was fabulous (videos, promos, etc.) and when I think of "a great wrestling match" that's the first to come to mind every time.

A big part of it for me was that I'd seen so many Kobashi matches from Japan via tape, and after seeing Joe's awesomeness in ROH, this was a definite "dream match" for me. It definitely didn't have as much "OMG" stuff as one might normally see from a big Kobashi match, but the dream match aspect and the insanely hot crowd more than made up for that.

Yeah, that's what it felt like...like I was watching what the Concept of Kobashi was versus the Concept of what Samoa Joe was rather Kobashi Vs Joe. It was like, people were marking for it because it was a dream match realised in the sense it actually happened. But the match itself was just really average, and while I respect both of the men in that ring, them just being there isn't going to make me mark out.

At the end of the day I came to see an awesome match and just didn't really get it, and now in retrospect I'm really confused as to why Meltzer gave it 5 stars, or why anyone believe in the 5 stars if that's the basis for one.

Have you seen Joe vs. Punk II? I bet the headlock played an even bigger role in that match. There was even a point where I actually believed Joe was about to tap out. To a side headlock. Even though I knew the match ended in a 60 minute draw. Talk about suspending your disbelief.

No, haven't seen it. Might do one day, just to see what the buzz is about.

HBK vs Hart / WM12 Iron Man Match

It's the greatest match of all time in my opinion. Wrestling for sixty minutes just to have a draw and then a sudden-death OT to determine the winner. It couldn't get more exciting than that. I'm not even sure how many times I've watched that match in its entirety (too many to count) or how many hours I've lost doing so. It's a match that stays with me for many different reasons. The greatest entrance of all time, Hebner speaking before the match, Gorilla Monsoon being out there to make sure everything went smoothly, and the crowd unsure of who to cheer for. Not to mention it was HBK's first WWF World title.

Everything surrounding that match was fabulous (videos, promos, etc.) and when I think of "a great wrestling match" that's the first to come to mind every time.

It's a great match (top 10) but for some reason it doesnt appeal to me as much as it should. I also love these matches

Orton vs Taker WM21

HBK vs Jericho WM19

Angle vs Taker No Way Out (04ish)

Archived