The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Just finished watching the documentary "The King Of Kong"

http://a0.vox.com/6a00b8ea06758adece00e398d7e4880005-500pi

What a great doco, for anyone that's a fan of retro gaming or even just a good documentary it's a great film!

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this so I entitled the thread like that thinking maybe this can become the thread for all video game talk.

All games, or just games for those of us who like to "kick it old school?"

I'm always saddened when I walk by the places where arcades once stood. There was a sweet arcade in the mall near where I grew up...now I think it's a grocery store.

Despite the fact that we didn't have any PSN or Xbox Live, and that the PC was mostly made of MUDD back then, we gamers had a nice little community going in those arcades. When I think of the hours I spent shoulder to shoulder with other kids, pumping quarters in to the game du jour, I get a little misty-eyed for the days gone by.

But then, we have some pretty awesome games today, don't we?

I'm always saddened when I walk by the places where arcades once stood. There was a sweet arcade in the mall near where I grew up...now I think it's a grocery store.

Despite the fact that we didn't have any PSN or Xbox Live, and that the PC was mostly made of MUDD back then, we gamers had a nice little community going in those arcades. When I think of the hours I spent shoulder to shoulder with other kids, pumping quarters in to the game du jour, I get a little misty-eyed for the days gone by.

Same :(:D I can still remember going down to the local mall here on a Wednesday night and paying $10 (probably around 20 nowadays, man am I getting old???) to play for 3 hours free on all games. Street Fighter 2 even though I had it at home on the snes always saw the most gameplay. There was something magical about arcades as a kid I swear :D

We do but I still don't know if it's because I was a kid that I was able to immerse myself into a 32 bit 2d game like Zelda more then I can a game like Dragon Age which has all the bells and whistles. Then again Zelda was a legendary game, probably not a fair comparison.

Same :(:D I can still remember going down to the local mall here on a Wednesday night and paying $10 (probably around 20 nowadays, man am I getting old???) to play for 3 hours free on all games. Street Fighter 2 even though I had it at home on the snes always saw the most gameplay. There was something magical about arcades as a kid I swear :D

We do but I still don't know if it's because I was a kid that I was able to immerse myself into a 32 bit 2d game like Zelda more then I can a game like Dragon Age which has all the bells and whistles. Then again Zelda was a legendary game, probably not a fair comparison.

Well, I know as a kid the games that I played were limited to what my father bought for us, as opposed to now when I pretty much have the disposable income to get the games I want, when I want. So back then, I had to strip every possible game down to the bone so that I could get the maximum enjoyment from it.

The original "Gold Cartridge" Zelda...yeah I played that one to death. Still to this day it's the only Legend of Zelda game I've ever beaten...and I've owned all of the other ones at one point or another. The first still has a special place in my heart.

And yes, I too played the balls off of Street Fighter II: The World Warriors. And all the subsequent revisions. I also loved the big six player X-Men cabinet, getting a group together and mashing our way through that was always fun.

Never had a decent arcade near me growing up, so I had to rely on my SNES. I liked SF2, had all the versions (DeeJay was inexplicably my favourite character) but I was always more of a Mortal Kombat fan. It was faster. Street Fighter felt like I was fighting in pudding.

First time I ever really spent in an arcade were while on vacation in... some Spanish place... possibly Spain. There was an arcade near the hotel that had some okay stuff, and was not quite so run down as to be depressing. I spent pretty much every day in that thing, whomping locals at Tekken Tag Tournament. Hwoarang & King yo!

Oddly, I find fighting games rather pointless now. I need more variety than a series of one-on-one fights. I've got more disposable income than I know what to do with, but I can't justify £30 on Tekken 6 or the new Street Fighter or the new UFC.

All games, or just games for those of us who like to "kick it old school?"

a lot of the people on here are not gong to remember these types of things.

I remember spending HOURS playing arcade games. Galiga was one of my favorites. :)

Then I think back to the *old school* games like Ka-boom or Pac man. I know the graphics were crappy, but they were some awesome games. Hell my favorite game still stands as an SNES game. :)

Never had a decent arcade near me growing up, so I had to rely on my SNES. I liked SF2, had all the versions (DeeJay was inexplicably my favourite character) but I was always more of a Mortal Kombat fan. It was faster. Street Fighter felt like I was fighting in pudding.

First time I ever really spent in an arcade were while on vacation in... some Spanish place... possibly Spain. There was an arcade near the hotel that had some okay stuff, and was not quite so run down as to be depressing. I spent pretty much every day in that thing, whomping locals at Tekken Tag Tournament. Hwoarang & King yo!

Oddly, I find fighting games rather pointless now. I need more variety than a series of one-on-one fights. I've got more disposable income than I know what to do with, but I can't justify £30 on Tekken 6 or the new Street Fighter or the new UFC.

My friends and I still get together and play Street Fighter (well, it's Super Street Fighter II Turbo) or the occasional bout of SSFIV. But then, there was a time when we took those games serious, analyzing frame data and learning move priority and practicing until we were awesome. You know the guy who you played in the arcade who mauled you without letting you get a punch or a fireball in? We were those guys. And as stupid as it sounds, on more than one occasion we traveled great distances (hundreds of miles, maybe even thousands of miles if were flying) to compete in fighting game tournaments for cash prizes.

Yes, we were gigantic dorks.

Ahhh, but you can still have that ol' skool flavor up in the crib. Look here. I got up on them watching Garage Mahal (Goldberg's show) and it pissed me off. I used to troll the bankruptcy sales in the area back when arcades were going under regularly (late 90s) and at one time had five full sized games in the basement (sit down versions of Spy Hunter and OutRun, tabletop/****tail version of Ms Pac-Man, Street Fighter 2, and X-Men: Children of the Atom) and I paid a lot more than that for them. Now I'm scheming on a way to get one of these. Friend of mine bought one with his income tax refund and he has to play it after midnight because his kids monopolize the damn thing. :p

We have some awesome games today but it's not the same. As you mentioned, it's not the same experience. Plus, back in the day, developers could specify hardware in those big cabinet models so many games we played in arcades were customized for that particular game. They moved away from that (going with the more standard system that used DVDs or cartridges or something with only the panels on the cabinet being swapped out) but that was when they started to suck. Oh, that and some games going up to a freakin' DOLLAR for one play!

Ahhh, but you can still have that ol' skool flavor up in the crib. Look here. I got up on them watching Garage Mahal (Goldberg's show) and it pissed me off. I used to troll the bankruptcy sales in the area back when arcades were going under regularly (late 90s) and at one time had five full sized games in the basement (sit down versions of Spy Hunter and OutRun, tabletop/****tail version of Ms Pac-Man, Street Fighter 2, and X-Men: Children of the Atom) and I paid a lot more than that for them. Now I'm scheming on a way to get one of these. Friend of mine bought one with his income tax refund and he has to play it after midnight because his kids monopolize the damn thing. :p

We have some awesome games today but it's not the same. As you mentioned, it's not the same experience. Plus, back in the day, developers could specify hardware in those big cabinet models so many games we played in arcades were customized for that particular game. They moved away from that (going with the more standard system that used DVDs or cartridges or something with only the panels on the cabinet being swapped out) but that was when they started to suck. Oh, that and some games going up to a freakin' DOLLAR for one play!

Dammit Rem-man why you got to make me realize how much I'll never be able to get this! Mine as well throw a hot chick in a room, have her flirt with all the guys then tell them she's a lesbian. Want so bad!

/rant

Athoughhhhh... that thing would look pimp in my video game store (should I get one, if it's legal to do so.) Might be one of those "necessary expenses". He he he...

Yeah, a lot of the cabs they have in some of the remaining arcades are very cookie-cutter for the reasons you mentioned. It's more cost effective to swap out a board or a disc than to buy a new cabinet for every game.

That set-up you linked to is pretty damn nice. I've been in some beautiful home arcades over the years, but as you mentioned, they can get quite expensive. One of my favorite 2D fighter tournies took place in the basement of this guy's house in Maryland. He had a nice place, and his basement was finished and all of that, so it was a pretty cozy set up with sit-down arcade cabinets. I casually asked him how much he'd shelled out over the years to get it to that point.

He just smiled and shook his head. "A lot," he replied.

Yeah, a lot of the cabs they have in some of the remaining arcades are very cookie-cutter for the reasons you mentioned. It's more cost effective to swap out a board or a disc than to buy a new cabinet for every game.

That set-up you linked to is pretty damn nice. I've been in some beautiful home arcades over the years, but as you mentioned, they can get quite expensive. One of my favorite 2D fighter tournies took place in the basement of this guy's house in Maryland. He had a nice place, and his basement was finished and all of that, so it was a pretty cozy set up with sit-down arcade cabinets. I casually asked him how much he'd shelled out over the years to get it to that point.

We may have a mutual friend. :D

Finishing the basement probably cost more than assembling the games. The most expensive cabinet I had was the OutRun one and it cost a shade under 4k. I got it (relatively) cheap because few people wanted it because it has a huge footprint (it was the big arse one with side by side positions). The rise of the console made it so I could get rid of them (gave them to my conspiracy theorist friend in Elmira :p) but I am definitely getting one of those custom jobs.

Astil, I'd be hesitant to state unequivocally what I'll "never" have. I've found that this world isn't nearly as cut & dried as people like to think it is.

Finishing the basement probably cost more than assembling the games. The most expensive cabinet I had was the OutRun one and it cost a shade under 4k. I got it (relatively) cheap because few people wanted it because it has a huge footprint (it was the big arse one with side by side positions). The rise of the console made it so I could get rid of them (gave them to my conspiracy theorist friend in Elmira :p) but I am definitely getting one of those custom jobs.

Astil, I'd be hesitant to state unequivocally what I'll "never" have. I've found that this world isn't nearly as cut & dried as people like to think it is.

/nod.

I'll say it's like... twenty steps away from where I'm at now. Plus, my fiance wouldn't be so keen on it, she'd rather me just buy another console/computer. Some people don't get the finer things...:cool:

I like to wait until the newest console comes out, and then buy the previous console and all the good games for it for cheap. Used of course, but still in good condition. You know that you can get games that were $50 dollars when they came out, for like $5 - $15?

I get the game part, but a previous Console? I can't imagine doing that. What are you playing now, a PS2 or Xbox? You can get a PS3 or 360 for pretty cheap if you look in the right place.

I get the game part, but a previous Console? I can't imagine doing that. What are you playing now, a PS2 or Xbox? You can get a PS3 or 360 for pretty cheap if you look in the right place.

I usually buy only one of the new consoles, and then I go back and buy the other consoles I missed once a new version comes out. Then I also go and buy all of the good games.

I own a PS3 and play the PS2 more, dude.

I'm the same. My DS has gotten more play than anything. My ps2 second them Wii.

Hmm.

My current list by amount of time played on:

360 > PC > DS > PS3 > PS2 > Wii.

My nephews love their 360 and I tend to play online with them. PC is alone time. The others are "sigh, I'm bored"... except the Wii. That's the "oh, my wife likes to play video games once per month".