The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Hmm.

My current list by amount of time played on:

360 > PC > DS > PS3 > PS2 > Wii.

My nephews love their 360 and I tend to play online with them. PC is alone time. The others are "sigh, I'm bored"... except the Wii. That's the "oh, my wife likes to play video games once per month".

Funny, that's my 360/PS3 now a days.

Have owned every game system Sony has come out with, and haven't looked back yet. PS1 had a bug, but that came along exactly when the PS2 came out. Bought the PS2. If there's a game that's not available for the PS3, I buy it for the PS2, play it there. Own a PSP, and a PS3. Love the PS3.

HDTV + PS3 + 52" Plasma + Games like UFC Undisputed, Smackdown vs RAW, FIFA, NBA, Uncharted among others = Insanely Amazing Graphics

It's literally come to the point that when I'm in the car on a road trip with some of the guys, we'll plug in the PS3 in one of the outlets and load it on to the screen.

I guess I could be considered addicted :p

Have owned every game system Sony has come out with, and haven't looked back yet. PS1 had a bug, but that came along exactly when the PS2 came out. Bought the PS2. If there's a game that's not available for the PS3, I buy it for the PS2, play it there. Own a PSP, and a PS3. Love the PS3.

HDTV + PS3 + 52" Plasma + Games like UFC Undisputed, Smackdown vs RAW, FIFA, NBA, Uncharted among others = Insanely Amazing Graphics

It's literally come to the point that when I'm in the car on a road trip with some of the guys, we'll plug in the PS3 in one of the outlets and load it on to the screen.

I guess I could be considered addicted :p

haha thats awesome. It must kill the battery though.

Why the hell would anyone want a 360?

Better selection of games. Streaming media. Xbox Live. A controller that doesn't give you "The Claw" after using it for ten minutes.

PS3 game play is a lot nicer. Graphics look better.

Of the comparisons i've seen on Gamespot where games are on both formats, the Xbox usually wins. Just because the console is more powerful doesn't mean anything, unless the game developers take advantage of that.

Internet play is FREE. :D

You get what you pay for. I've heard countless stories of PS3 owners complaining about lag or not being able to get into games.

Better selection of games. Streaming media. Xbox Live. A controller that doesn't give you "The Claw" after using it for ten minutes.

Of the comparisons i've seen on Gamespot where games are on both formats, the Xbox usually wins. Just because the console is more powerful doesn't mean anything, unless the game developers take advantage of that.

You get what you pay for. I've heard countless stories of PS3 owners complaining about lag or not being able to get into games.

I don't know about the lags or whatnot.

My brother is on net play for Red Dead Redemption, James bond, Boarderlands, and another I can't think of. Never had issues. I have heard people complain about the Xbox internet. Meh I guess it's a personal preference type of deal. i've always been partial to he Nintendo though. Having owned each system, and still have them is a plus for me.

Never had any trouble with PS3 games on the network aside from UFC 2010, but from what I've read there were problems with that on the Xbox as well.

Personally I like my PS3 better than what I've seen on my nephew's 360. The PS3's controller doesn't weigh twenty pounds, and its rechargeability comes standard. I don't have to pay extra to use their network service. Can play Blu Ray movies. And with the Blu Ray format for games you can store more information on PS3 discs, meaning for RPG games, you don't have to switch out discs, unlike the Xbox. And biggest issue, my nephew had to get his first Xbox 360 repaired twice, then replaced it, then had to replace that one all in the last three years. I've read they fixed a lot of the issues with the RROD, but still...

Negatives for me... can't stand the PS3's wireless headset. The 360's wireless headset is better. The 360's tray loading for discs means never having to touch the bottom of the disc. Not a major issue, since the PS3 discs come with that special protective coating that Blu Ray discs have, but it still annoys me.

i've always been partial to he Nintendo though. Having owned each system, and still have them is a plus for me.

Still got my NES, SNES, N64, Game Cube and Wii. :cool:

(oddly though, i'm more of a Sega fanboy simply due to the MegaDrive/Genesis)

The PS3's controller doesn't weigh twenty pounds, and its rechargeability comes standard.

My Xbox controllers don't weigh twenty pounds, I use wired controllers. :p

Can play Blu Ray movies. And with the Blu Ray format for games you can store more information on PS3 discs, meaning for RPG games, you don't have to switch out discs, unlike the Xbox.

Only RPG-like games i've played in recent years are Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind and Oblivion. I'd rather scratch my eyes out than play Final Fantasy games, obviously millions disagree with me though.

WWE All Stars. Opinions?

From what i've read and seen of the gameplay, it's what the Smackdown vs Raw series should be aiming for as it's closer to No Mercy on the N64. I saw one of the "new features" of the new SvsR game will be the ability to throw weapons... you could do that back in 2000 (or whenever it was) on No Mercy. :rolleyes:

Only RPG-like games i've played in recent years are Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind and Oblivion. I'd rather scratch my eyes out than play Final Fantasy games, obviously millions disagree with me though.

You have just become my new best friend. I love my RPG games, but Final Fantasy was horrible. :D

I don't like RPG games, but there are occasions (like I previously mentioned) that have RPG-like elements which catch my attention.

I was referring to the non liking of Final Fantasy. :D

Lack of support? Call them up, "RROD? Send it to us and we'll fix it/replace it". That's good support in my eyes.

But if they could make it right the first time you wouldn't need it replaced. :D

As one of those "millions" you mentioned, I'm afraid that on this we'll have to disagree. KOTOR was good, I'll give it that, but I could not get into Morrowind or Oblivion as much. And considering that I've beaten a majority of the "main" Final Fantasy series, I'll admit that I may be a bit biased in my opinion. Which leads me to say that in my opinion, Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG ever. It's not everyone's cup of tea, I know...but to this day that is the only RPG I can boot up after not playing it for several months to a year and still know where everything is and what order to go in without needing to talk to people.

For me, as someone with both a 360 and PS3, I generally see little difference in performance (that is, gameplay or graphics quality). A year ago, I'd probably have given both to the 360, but the PS3 games do look a bit better now (though I still feel that most games feel more "natural" on the 360... but even that is a negligible difference).

Frankly, for me, it has and always will come down to the player base. My family and closest friends are overwhelmingly 360 players. Probably due to the fact that the 360 has been out longer (but also maybe due to the price difference). So, I have a choice between buying something like Red Dead Redemption for the PS3, where I know literally no one, or the same game for the 360 (where I know at least 3 or 4 people that want to play with me)...

Well then, the choice is clear :)

As one of those "millions" you mentioned, I'm afraid that on this we'll have to disagree. KOTOR was good, I'll give it that, but I could not get into Morrowind or Oblivion as much. And considering that I've beaten a majority of the "main" Final Fantasy series, I'll admit that I may be a bit biased in my opinion. Which leads me to say that in my opinion, Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG ever. It's not everyone's cup of tea, I know...but to this day that is the only RPG I can boot up after not playing it for several months to a year and still know where everything is and what order to go in without needing to talk to people.

FFIV and FFVI are great games. When I was younger, I was also big on FFI (can't seem to get into that now). Never been able to get hooked on FFVII or later though.

I was referring to the non liking of Final Fantasy. :D

But you did say you love RPG's...

But if they could make it right the first time you wouldn't need it replaced. :D

The PS3 has had it's fare share of faults too ya know. The very first console I had break down on me was my PS2, so I put my foot through it:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/Misc/PS2.jpg

I haven't bought, and wont buy, a Sony product again. It actually says alot about the products of today when they don't last as long as they could due to money hungry companies. My first Commodore 64 still works 20+ years later, as does the TV I used to play it on.

I'm not a fan of the "Japanese style", if that makes any sense. I simply can not stand Anime either. To me, Morrowind was like nothing else i'd ever played before; go where you want, do what you want, when you want. I dread to think of the hours i've put into playing Morrowind. I was extremely excited when Oblivion was looming on the horizon, but when I played it the magic of Morrowind was missing somehow. Whether it was because I was older, it was more of the same, or I lacked the time and patience I had when playing Morrowind, I don't know.

But you did say you love RPG's...

The PS3 has had it's fare share of faults too ya know. The very first console I had break down on me was my PS2, so I put my foot through it:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/Misc/PS2.jpg

I haven't bought, and wont buy, a Sony product again. It actually says alot about the products of today when they don't last as long as they could due to money hungry companies. My first Commodore 64 still works 20+ years later, as does the TV I used to play it on.

I'm not a fan of the "Japanese style", if that makes any sense. I simply can not stand Anime either. To me, Morrowind was like nothing else i'd ever played before; go where you want, do what you want, when you want. I dread to think of the hours i've put into playing Morrowind. I was extremely excited when Oblivion was looming on the horizon, but when I played it the magic of Morrowind was missing somehow. Whether it was because I was older, it was more of the same, or I lacked the time and patience I had when playing Morrowind, I don't know.

Yes I'm a huge RPG fan, but very picky at what I play. I never got into the FF series. I played 7 for like 45 minutes got stuck and quit. X2 was ok. I never finished it though. 12 is and always will be my favorite. I have logged over 100 hours and never beat it.

I never had a problem with my PS1. Granted it didn't work after I threw it out the door and it bounced off the patio. :D That was because it was a present and I was telling the dude to get lost. :p

My ps2 is awesome I love it. I play it a lot and watch DVD's on it.

I've not heard of people returning there PS3's because of a red ring of death. :D

I've never had problems with my PS1, and my PS2 only had one problem over the 10+ years I've owned it -- the lens went out of alignment last year and I had to spend about 20 minutes repairing it.

That said, my girlfriend's family has gone through 5 PS2s and at least 2 PS3s.

I'm a PC gamer but I do own consoles (every one released in the US from Intellivision on, except for the ColecoVision that got stolen when I was 10). For the most part, if a console-exclusive (or based) game comes out that I (or my nieces/nephews) like, I'll get it, even though I'd rarely play it (Fable being the exception). I tend to have get-togethers fairly frequently so having the hot games is useful. I can understand Wrestling Century's point of view though I probably could never go that route. In gaming circles, games have a relatively short shelf life. People talk about/critique/deconstruct them when they're new then move on to the next one. So waiting a year or two to get a game would make me clueless in those conversations. "Ohhhh, now I see what you all were talking about." "What?" "Oh, Oblivion. I just got it." "Dude, that was how many years ago???"

Oh and I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy anything.

Yes I'm a huge RPG fan, but very picky at what I play. I never got into the FF series. I played 7 for like 45 minutes got stuck and quit. X2 was ok. I never finished it though. 12 is and always will be my favorite. I have logged over 100 hours and never beat it.

45 minutes would've been 44 minutes 59 seconds too long for me.

I never had a problem with my PS1. Granted it didn't work after I threw it out the door and it bounced off the patio. :D That was because it was a present and I was telling the dude to get lost. :p

I went from the Mega Drive/Genesis to PC to the N64, I skipped the Saturn and PS. The Saturn was insanely expensive and the PS was even more expensive if you actually worked out the cost. Sony had a great marketing strategy though so the PS sold more.

My ps2 is awesome I love it. I play it a lot and watch DVD's on it.

My PS2 stopped playing DVDs, "That's fine as I can still play games on it", I said. Then one fateful day in the middle of summer, a boiling hot day combined with an extremely bad day at work I came home to sit down and play some PS2 to chill out... the game froze as it was loading. I tried it a few more times, and with different games, same thing. So I carefully unplugged all the wires, took it outside and stomped a mudhole in it's ass. :cool:

The picture was taken because my friend didn't actually believe me. :p

I've not heard of people returning there PS3's because of a red ring of death. :D

That's because the PS3 has the Yellow Light of Death. :p

I've never had problems with my PS1, and my PS2 only had one problem over the 10+ years I've owned it -- the lens went out of alignment last year and I had to spend about 20 minutes repairing it.

That said, my girlfriend's family has gone through 5 PS2s and at least 2 PS3s.

See above.

For the most part, if a console-exclusive (or based) game comes out that I (or my nieces/nephews) like, I'll get it, even though I'd rarely play it (Fable being the exception).

I forgot about Fable, loved it. I could never get into Fable 2 for some reason though, maybe it was "Morrowind Syndrome" again?

*high five*

See I knew those pricks were wrong. :D

45 minutes would've been 44 minutes 59 seconds too long for me.

I was bored.

I went from the Mega Drive/Genesis to PC to the N64, I skipped the Saturn and PS. The Saturn was insanely expensive and the PS was even more expensive if you actually worked out the cost. Sony had a great marketing strategy though so the PS sold more.

I only played 2 games on the Saturn. "D" and Shang-hi.

My PS2 stopped playing DVDs, "That's fine as I can still play games on it", I said. Then one fateful day in the middle of summer, a boiling hot day combined with an extremely bad day at work I came home to sit down and play some PS2 to chill out... the game froze as it was loading. I tried it a few more times, and with different games, same thing. So I carefully unplugged all the wires, took it outside and stomped a mudhole in it's ass. :cool:

The picture was taken because my friend didn't actually believe me. :p

Interesting. :p

That's because the PS3 has the Yellow Light of Death. :p

I have never heard of that. :confused:

*high five*

Wow I feel left out. I didn't get one. :(:cool: