The Video Game Thread

Genadi

My first Commodore 64 still works 20+ years later, as does the TV I used to play it on.

So does mine...and the Amiga 500...and the Atari ST. Haven't booted the Amiga 1000 in like a decade but I'm sure it still works too.

I'm not a fan of the "Japanese style", if that makes any sense. I simply can not stand Anime either.

YES! OH MY GOD, YES! About the only Asian style game that I can stand is Lineage II (and that's only because they made even the male characters/models look so effeminate, they might as well give 'em boobs). Look.

To me, Morrowind was like nothing else i'd ever played before; go where you want, do what you want, when you want. I dread to think of the hours i've put into playing Morrowind. I was extremely excited when Oblivion was looming on the horizon, but when I played it the magic of Morrowind was missing somehow. Whether it was because I was older, it was more of the same, or I lacked the time and patience I had when playing Morrowind, I don't know.

Ahh but Daggerfall was just like it. The whole Elder Scrolls series (with the exception of Arena, the first game) was freeform. I think the problem with Morrowind vs Oblivion was that there wasn't enough time between the games for people to develop a hankering. Also, since Morrowind was so open and had more current graphics (which made it stand out MAJORLY from Daggerfall), there wasn't much for folks to look forward to in Oblivion. Coupled with the modability of Morrowind and you could literally play the game indefinitely and always have new stuff to do and see.

I went from the Mega Drive/Genesis to PC to the N64, I skipped the Saturn and PS. The Saturn was insanely expensive and the PS was even more expensive if you actually worked out the cost. Sony had a great marketing strategy though so the PS sold more.

Does no one remember the Jaguar? :p The only reason I have one is because I worked in Electronics Boutique (now known as EBGames) so I got it for free. Wasn't like anyone was going to stop me though. The damn system wasn't being bought by anyone anyway.

My PS2 stopped playing DVDs, "That's fine as I can still play games on it", I said. Then one fateful day in the middle of summer, a boiling hot day combined with an extremely bad day at work I came home to sit down and play some PS2 to chill out... the game froze as it was loading. I tried it a few more times, and with different games, same thing. So I carefully unplugged all the wires, took it outside and stomped a mudhole in it's ass. :cool:

Did you walk it dry too? :)

I forgot about Fable, loved it. I could never get into Fable 2 for some reason though, maybe it was "Morrowind Syndrome" again?

Yup, not enough time between games for folks to develop a real hankering for it. This differs from something like Mass Effect where the story keeps people coming back. ME is a lot more linear than the Elder Scrolls so there's a finality to each game that only makes you want the next one to see where the story goes. Fable I think was very similar.

I have never heard of that. :confused:

Old article, but: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/playstation3_and_the_yellow_li.html

Brief snippet: "If this failure had occurred in the first 12 months after purchase, Sony would have replaced the customer's console without charge, but since the problem appears to be affecting consoles after 18-24 months of use, and therefore outside of the warranty period, Sony say it's not liable. Sony does offer a solution, by offering customers a refurbished machine in return for their faulty one. Up until late August 2009, the company charged £145 for this service, but that price has since been reduced to £128. As part of this charge, not only do customers receive a console that is as good as new, they get a door to door courier collection and delivery service. Sony says it makes no profit from the facility, and in fact make a loss."

I've known a few people get the RROD with the 360, but they haven't been charged one penny. Sony or Microsoft support...? Microsoft is better, in my experience.

Also, I can't remember what the fault was, but wasn't there a mass PS3 meltdown because of something simple to do with the clock (or something) recently?

So does mine...and the Amiga 500...and the Atari ST. Haven't booted the Amiga 1000 in like a decade but I'm sure it still works too.

The first ever TV I bought myself was a 32" (I think) widescreen TV in late 1998, it lasted until a month after the one year warranty was over. The TV that I had with the C64 back in 1985/86 still works to this very day, and that TV was used a LOT for many years.

YES! OH MY GOD, YES! About the only Asian style game that I can stand is Lineage II (and that's only because they made even the male characters/models look so effeminate, they might as well give 'em boobs). Look.

The Japanese style just seems very odd to me. Half of the time you can't tell who's male or female, and when I see someone four foot tall carry a sword longer and wider than their body I can't help but think, "Eh?".

Ahh but Daggerfall was just like it. The whole Elder Scrolls series (with the exception of Arena, the first game) was freeform. I think the problem with Morrowind vs Oblivion was that there wasn't enough time between the games for people to develop a hankering. Also, since Morrowind was so open and had more current graphics (which made it stand out MAJORLY from Daggerfall), there wasn't much for folks to look forward to in Oblivion. Coupled with the modability of Morrowind and you could literally play the game indefinitely and always have new stuff to do and see.

Morrowind was my introduction to the series, as I said, i'm not really a RPG fan. I owned the Xbox version because my PC at the time couldn't handle it so modding wasn't really an issue with me, but I did observe my friend playing around with various things. There was "something" magical about Morrowind (without trying to sound cheesy) which drew me in, and even though all the ingredients (with improved graphics) were present in Oblivion I just found it lacking. I'm sure it's more to do with me than with the game itself, but there's not much I can do about that. Well, except for moan about it on an internet forum. ;)

Does no one remember the Jaguar? :p The only reason I have one is because I worked in Electronics Boutique (now known as EBGames) so I got it for free. Wasn't like anyone was going to stop me though. The damn system wasn't being bought by anyone anyway.

I remember it, but there were only two good games I ever played on it. Tempest and Alien vs Predator.

The Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed the Jaguar: Part One Part Two (don't watch if you're easily offended kiddies)

Did you walk it dry too? :)

I sure did. :D

Yup, not enough time between games for folks to develop a real hankering for it. This differs from something like Mass Effect where the story keeps people coming back. ME is a lot more linear than the Elder Scrolls so there's a finality to each game that only makes you want the next one to see where the story goes. Fable I think was very similar.

I've heard so many great things about Mass Effect (and now the sequel) that I have been tempted to pick it up in the past. But if Knights of the Old Republic hadn't been a Star Wars game, then chances are i'd never have played it.

My lasting memory of the Jaguar was that it had a joypad that looked like a phone.

I have never heard of that. :confused:

It sucks :(

My PS3 Yellow lighted on me on a Wednesday.......

Then my 360 Red Ringed on me on a Saturday.........

I used the computer as little as possible the following week (didn't want to hit the trifecta and see the Blue Screen pop up). Hell, my cousin told me not to call or text him for a month cuz he didn't want his cell to blow up in his hand LOL

I've known a few people get the RROD with the 360, but they haven't been charged one penny. Sony or Microsoft support...? Microsoft is better, in my experience.

Also, I can't remember what the fault was, but wasn't there a mass PS3 meltdown because of something simple to do with the clock (or something) recently?

I haven't checked with either of them myself (both systems were launch systems so way out of warranty) but I don't doubt that Sony will have me pay.

The ApocalyPS3 only lasted a little over 24 hours. Was the internal clocks on the old "Fat" systems having a glitch and mistakenly thinking 2010 was a Leap Year. Wasn't that huge a deal, just an annoyance for me, but there were reports of people losing trophies or something. Which I didn't care about anyway cuz I don't use my console for Online Gaming, that's what my computer is for.

It sucks :(

My PS3 Yellow lighted on me on a Wednesday.......

Then my 360 Red Ringed on me on a Saturday.........

I used the computer as little as possible the following week (didn't want to hit the trifecta and see the Blue Screen pop up). Hell, my cousin told me not to call or text him for a month cuz he didn't want his cell to blow up in his hand LOL

I haven't checked with either of them myself (both systems were launch systems so way out of warranty) but I don't doubt that Sony will have me pay.

The ApocalyPS3 only lasted a little over 24 hours. Was the internal clocks on the old "Fat" systems having a glitch and mistakenly thinking 2010 was a Leap Year. Wasn't that huge a deal, just an annoyance for me, but there were reports of people losing trophies or something. Which I didn't care about anyway cuz I don't use my console for Online Gaming, that's what my computer is for.

Wow you have bad luck with games. :D

You are the first person that I have seen that got the Yellow light. I've never heard of it. My brother has had his PS3 over a year. He is on it nightly and has not had an issue with it. That sucks. I mean I'm sure Sony would have you pay because there just that awesome. :D

Yeah, I've heard that Sony can charge quite a bit for repairs, where as Microsoft will pay for the RROD (Just the RROD though. One of my nephew's Xbox failures was the laser going out and only being able to play DVD movies. Microsoft wanted over 100 bucks to fix that...)

But that really isnt a positive. A positive would be not having a system failure rate so high it engenders a class action lawsuit. Yeah, PS3's can fail, but not even close to the rate the 360's died at.

Really though, if you enjoy your game system, whatever it is, good for you. Just I think the PS3 has more positives.

Myself I've found my PS3 to be very durable. About 2 months ago it got hit by lightning and I still havent had a problem with it.

The 360 has a much, much higher failure rate than the PS3. In fact, just red-rings (which is not the only way to permenantly break) is higher than the percentage of PS3 failures to date, as is the non-red-rings failure rate.

However, that said, when presented with the choice between a PS3 and a 360 a few weeks ago, I went with the 360, so I'm not trying to trash talk it or anything.

I was firmly in the 360 camp, despite the fact that I'd gotten two red rings and an E71 failure.

Then I actually bought a PS3, and my 360 is collecting dust. I have a good library for it, and there are forthcoming games that I'll certainly play on the 360, but given the choice, I'd say the PS3 is my favorite. The software library has caught up to the capabilities of the hardware, finally.

But I'm no fanboy...my motto is, and always has been "Good games is good games." I want to play what's good, what's new, and what's interesting, be it the cornucopia of indie games available on my PC, or the latest big-budget blockbuster for the PS3. If there's fun and intrigue to be had, I'm there.

Which is why, much like Remi, I have owned more or less every single console (didn't have a CD-i, 3DO, or a Virtual Boy) and maintained a gaming-quality PC. I have a compulsion to try damn near everything.

I do not have the money to keep a gaming computer. I have a low-end laptop and a desktop that was middle-end when I got it 8 years ago. For me, consoles are nice because they're inexpensive. I'll NEVER need to upgrade that, if I keep it safe.

For me when it came down to the PS3/360 decision, the 360 won hands down. I assume because at the time there were more games I wanted to play on the 360. Seem to remember PS3 was pretty slow getting started. That and the price. I tend to get into the next generation of consoles 6-months to a year after release. I wait for the price to drop a little, and for a good library of games to build up.

I love my 360. It RROD'd once, but that was fixed and sorted in about a week. Considering the amount of other things that consistently break in my life (my phone and car are particularly problematic) it's doing fine. I'm a pretty casual gamer though. I use my 360 more as a DVD player and way to play .avi files on my gigantic TV than I do to play games.

For me, it came down to my friends' systems, mostly.

All the games I like (except Gears of War, which I was willing to throw under a bus if the time came) are cross-platform.

I mean, sure, Call of Duty map packs come out way faster for 360, but if my girlfriend played her PS3 a lot it would've been a tricky choice.

Instead, I've got one friend with a 360 he plays daily, and a girlfriend who plays her PS3 once on a blue moon.

I caught it easily. Wasted a Master Ball though. Seriously though, does anyone have an unloved and unused Pokemon Yellow?

No I do not. I wasn't going to waste my Masterball on it. My friend gave me a legit level 100 Enti. CAME WITH A MASTERBALL so now I have two. Ho'oh your arse is mine. :D