To Real World Mod Makers...

How do you guys determine your stats? I've been dabbling at making a real world mod for about a year and a half now, it'll probably never be finished, but I was wondering how you guys determined the stats for the wrestlers? Popularity levels and performance and everything else?

How do you guys determine your stats? I've been dabbling at making a real world mod for about a year and a half now, it'll probably never be finished, but I was wondering how you guys determined the stats for the wrestlers? Popularity levels and performance and everything else?

I know Genadi uses C-Verse for his base on every mod he and I have worked on.

What do you guys do? Do you match up who you think is close to who. For instance I have always thought that Robert Oxford and Arn Anderson are the same so would you take Robert's basic stats and give them to Arn?

that's a better question for Genadi, he's the one who usually balanced the stats. But, I think that was the basic idea. I haven't helped him with a mod in a looooooooong time, but I know when we first started doing them years ago, he would start off by playing the cverse first, when the game came out. Learned how all the stats are used and balanced in the way the game is "supposed" to be. Then go from there.

Fenoli's spot on as far as my process goes, it's alot of C-Verse first and then onto the mod. A good tip I'd suggest is sitting down before you start and listing the top rated workers for each stat (on a spreadsheet for ease of review if possible) and what rating they should be at. Keep that list handy and use it as a measurement of where everyone else is. These days I also note a worker I believe to be around a C or C+ for every stat as well so I also have a middle point.

Alot of little tips that help with moddding I wish I'd known when I started I would've saved lots of time. I'll make a post soon (I've been planning to) and try to share everything I know to help any would be mod makers :)

Yeah, I think using the C-Verse as a rough guide is the way to go and something I wish I did earlier. My next version of the 1996 mod is going to be a bit more C-Versed, but not too much. One thing I had to learn, despite wanting to keep all my stats in the "not too high, not too low" region was that some workers are awesome at some aspects but suck at others. Sometimes I am not sure the C-Verse fully captures that as the good workers are generally pretty good at everything. There is nothing wrong with giving a green high flyer awesome aerial and flashiness stats but horrendous psychology, basics and consistency to create a balance.

But I think the overall quality of playability for mods, such as Genadi's, have improved a lot from paying closer attention to the C-Verse. No offence to Genadi but I thought some of his earlier mods were pretty average in terms of stats and overall research, but he's improved a lot and is churning out solid mods like a machine now.

Also, test. Both as a player and as a watcher. If things happen that you don't think should happen, then go back and adjust ... not just worker stats but also promotion stats, industry levels etc. Making a mod is kind of achieving a balance between all these things.

When I made the 1996 mod for TEW 08 I had a problem with WCW. No matter what they would drop to cult within a few months every freaking game. I couldn't really jack up the stats for workers any higher without having to completely reassess my philosophy for worker stats throughout the whole game. I also couldn't give them more popularity without throwing things into turmoil so eventually I had to increase the importance levels of the US regions just a bit to prevent one or two less important regions influencing the entire industry. It seemed to work pretty well as I could then sim a couple years into the game without anything stupid happening.

But I think the overall quality of playability for mods, such as Genadi's, have improved a lot from paying closer attention to the C-Verse. No offence to Genadi but I thought some of his earlier mods were pretty average in terms of stats and overall research, but he's improved a lot and is churning out solid mods like a machine now.

No offence taken at all BH, I agree with you completely. The first few mods I did were for '05 and I can remember not having played more then 10 hours of C-Verse at the time. I hadn't a real clue of how TEW ran, I think it was your or Derek's advice back then to get to know C-Verse. Once I did it changed how I modded drastically.

I don't ever try to match up C-Verse guys with RW guys because like BH mentioned there's rarely a perfect fit. The C-Verse stats do give a good guide for highs, lows and averages of certain stats that can be applied to greatly improve a mods balance.

Sean McFly - I have been planning and talking to a few mod makers about posting as much help on making mods as possible. I'll post it all very soon (hands have been quite full with '01 of late) and it will answer every question you asked in depth and from different perspectives... just so you know I'm not ignoring the questions, it's just a coincidence you asked them while I'm compiling a thread to discuss them :)

personal opinion + the quick add feature are fairly useful.

Considering you can add the game (as whatever its psydunem is in the quick add) and then tinker to ones licking.

Also using the C-Verse for a base is good (Realize that 90's should be rare! I hate mods, especially mods set in 2000 or something where AJ Styles is a 90 Flyer. That means he will only get better into perfection. He should really by a 40 or 50 and improve to a 90, if at all).

However becoming TOO grounded in the c-verse can be a bad thing. Might as well just play the c-verse if you're just doing a re-name clone.

Also using the C-Verse for a base is good (Realize that 90's should be rare! I hate mods, especially mods set in 2000 or something where AJ Styles is a 90 Flyer. That means he will only get better into perfection. He should really by a 40 or 50 and improve to a 90, if at all).

I don't want to get into a debate about stats or anything but I have to disagree with that bit. In reality Styles hasn't improved a great deal as a high flyer since 2000. He's improved in alot of other ways which should be set low if the mod is set in that time period so he has alot of room to grow, which he did in areas like entertainment and performance alot from around time on. I agree that 90 may be a little high but 40 or 50 is far, far too low considering he was talked about as the hottest young high flyer as early as 2001.

That brings me to another point about performance stats, they are the most important group of stats to get right. But that's for a whole other discussion I suppose :)

I think one thing that people get completely wrong is scale. I mean, it's fine to use the C-Verse as a guide but most real world mods are several times larger than the C-Verse. So having a 'there are only 9 people in the C-Verse with B+ or better brawling' guideline doesn't fit when you have three or four times as many workers. Also something to consider is product differentiation and how that impacts what skillset the workers in the world should have. In a current day mod, WWE is not SWF and TNA is not TCW, thus they will require often subtly different skillsets to perform well in the changed environment.

Personally, I'd agree with MrCanada as some of the best real world mods I've played haven't used the C-Verse as some kind of box to be held within. The C-Verse should be a guide, not a shackle. It's like a recipe with the ever present "season to taste" qualification added. The best real world mod I've played was probably forlan's T-Zone from 08 (before he started allowing the addition of micro-indies with their assorted "talent" that frequent them). Sure, a good part of the reason why is because he had a freakin' ton of women workers and the vast majority of them were rated realistically. But even outside of my promotion, the world worked much the way I expected it to, with more common sense added (i.e. WWE dumping dead weight regularly). Now with preset chemistry, you can even ensure that the outliers don't happen quite as often (like Taker-Michaels rating out worse than Punk-Mysterio, presumably due to chemistry).

Finally, I think if you're going to make a mod, make YOUR mod. Resist the temptation to copy what other people do because if you do that, you'll wind up with their shortcomings on top of your own. Also, don't overextend yourself. If the scope of your knowledge of wrestling doesn't go past WWE & TNA, don't try to fake like you know puro (as an example). Just release a WWE & TNA mod and call it even. There can be few things quite as frustrating as downloading a so-called "real world mod" and have only two (or three) promotions work right or have it missing key players from parts of the world not North America. Bring your vision to the fore, don't try to filter someone else's vision through your eyes.

Well I just have to give a major thumbs up to anyone who does a real world mod. Because I know from working on fictional mods that it is a lot of work but you can basically do the stats however you want. I mean who is to say that Jimmy Walker (just the first name that came to my head) is not a 55 brawler? No one can because he is a fake character.

No if you make say Abyss a 70 in flying then you have problems.:D To me giving stats to real world workers must be a very hard thing to do.

Like I said in a previous thread, this is not like other sports where you can look at how Ryan Howard and see he has hit 40 home runs in one season. And therefore you can look at how those home runs stack up against league average. Boom instant stat, whereas in wrestling it is all subjective. I may Kurt Angle at an 80 in submissions (not that I think that because this is just an example). While sombody else might have him at an 87.

Archived