Political Debates and The Forum

I understand that there's a history of problematic political threads on this forum, and I also understand that I'm a part of that history, but several other posters and I all engaged in a productive political discussion just this week in the "Illuminati" thread and there were no hurt feelings or anything. It seems strange, then, that the Fourth of July thread was greeted with a close the second scorpion started threadcrapping.

Long story short, I think it's time we all acknowledge that this is a message board and not a game of Calvinball. Written rules are important to prevent hurt feelings and rule infractions. If political discussions are banned, then fine, but it would be nice if there was some way for a poster to tell what the rules of the forum actually are before he goes and accidentally breaks one.

I understand that there's a history of problematic political threads on this forum, and I also understand that I'm a part of that history, but several other posters and I all engaged in a productive political discussion just this week in the "Illuminati" thread and there were no hurt feelings or anything.

The start and end of the argument is that the board as a whole was given several chances when it came to political debate and blew every single one of them in spectacular fashion, costing me several paying customers in the process.

It seems strange, then, that the Fourth of July thread was greeted with a close the second scorpion started threadcrapping.

The only reason that the Fourth of July got closed when it did was because I hadn't seen it prior to then. The Illuminati thread hasn't been closed simply because I haven't read it.

Disagree with the rest of your post, the current system of closing the very rare political threads that we do get works just fine.

The start and end of the argument is that the board as a whole was given several chances when it came to political debate and blew every single one of them in spectacular fashion, costing me several paying customers in the process.

The only reason that the Fourth of July got closed when it did was because I hadn't seen it prior to then. The Illuminati thread hasn't been closed simply because I haven't read it.

Disagree with the rest of your post, the current system of closing the very rare political threads that we do get works just fine.

I do agree with most of what Adam said. It would be good to discuss politics in here,especially because this is one of the very few forums where i like to post and find people that can make a valid argument without having to use insults. But when it comes to matters such as politics we all know that things tend to heat up. Too bad,as i would like to be able to have such discussions in here. The illuminati thread wokerd well,so i as well would like to see the users given a new chance to try and discuss matters such as politics. Could it work? Sure! IF we all remember the most basic rules of education that our parents teached to all of us. But hey...what do i know? I'm just a regular user,paying costumer,average poster, etc etc. I'm not an authority of any kind here,but i just wanted to say what i thought. And though I do understand Adam's point of view, it would be cool if we could all debate things without forgetting the respect that everybody (allong with their opinions) deserves. Having said this...merry christmas to all of you! :D:p:D

The only reason that the Fourth of July got closed when it did was because I hadn't seen it prior to then.

I have nothing against you closing a thread that's taken a political turn because it can be a very touchy subject for people and it often ends badly like you stated. But I couldn't help but laugh to see the 4th of July thread closed. Seeing our basic free speech taken away from the forum on 4th of July in a 4th of July thread was just too hilarious for me to handle.

I know you're not from the US, but I'd imagine you're familiar with the Declaration of Independence. It honestly felt like a dictatorship when that thread was closed. This is a game-oriented business web site and I understand that certain topics don't belong here. I don't know why anyone would come on the GDS forum for a political discussion anyway, but seeing it shut down without any real issues (yet) was strange.

So I guess what I'm getting at is... do you dislike us American's, Adam? :rolleyes:

(Lots of sarcasm in this post)

Logan, Adam isn't the State. The board is his corporate property. He has the right to moderate as he sees fit, and that in no way violates a US citizen's First Amendment rights.

And 'no real issues' is a matter of perspective. There were 'issues' from the get go. Which is beyond sad, but there it is.

Logan, Adam isn't the State. The board is his corporate property. He has the right to moderate as he sees fit, and that in no way violates a US citizen's First Amendment rights.

And 'no real issues' is a matter of perspective. There were 'issues' from the get go. Which is beyond sad, but there it is.

Perhaps I should have only said this? I figured people would read between the lines though.

This is a game-oriented business web site and I understand that certain topics don't belong here. I don't know why anyone would come on the GDS forum for a political discussion anyway, but seeing it shut down without any real issues (yet) was strange.

(Lots of sarcasm in this post)

But see, the sarcasm comment doesn't belong if you don't read the entire post the way it originally was.

I've always been of the opinion that politics, religion and Lady Gaga should never be discussed in polite company.

If people want to discuss such topics...why not set up a group on the old Facebook or something? Keeps it out of GDS's hair and anybody who gets involved knows exactly what to expect.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Archived