What's happening...on your B show??

As a big fan of Heat and Velocity, I love the B show. Booking WCW Saturday Night is probably my favorite thing about playing TEW. It's where I get to screw around and see who's gonna step up from my undercard- it's also completely no pressure, because almost no one watches the show!

SO.

What's happening on your B show?

It's more of an after thought for me. I throw my B-shows together on the fly, but I do have an idea of what I want to accomplish with the younger talent. My B-show is primarily lower-midcard workers and below. The only time top workers show up is to boost an angle with their overness or entertainment skills. I used to have two 1hr B-shows before I setup my three major brands. Now I have just the one 1hr show and I run it the same every week - 4 matches and 3 angles.

It's more of an after thought for me. I throw my B-shows together on the fly, but I do have an idea of what I want to accomplish with the younger talent. My B-show is primarily lower-midcard workers and below. The only time top workers show up is to boost an angle with their overness or entertainment skills. I used to have two 1hr B-shows before I setup my three major brands. Now I have just the one 1hr show and I run it the same every week - 4 matches and 3 angles.

My format is pretty much the same. I always kick off the show with a video about the upcoming PPV's main event, and then I alternate 3 matches and 4 angles.

I book the B show as the showcase (pun intended) for everyone outside the main event. While upper mids won't necessarily appear every show, some of them do for training purposes. But since everyone on the roster who isn't the user character or announcer/ref is in a storyline, I use the B show to advance those lower card/lower profile programs. The way my B show is set up makes it possible for headliners to want to make appearances (since the B show is always set in either Hawaii or Puerto Rico). My workers are women and not many women would turn down a working vacation to either of those places, especially if the 'work' involves all of about six minutes (fifteen if they're in a match headlining the show).

"Wait, you mean all I have to do is cut a promo for the upcoming PPV? ALL WEEK that's all I have to do?!?"

It's typically where my midcard singles title gets defended most often since doing so on the A show tends to produce too much overness for the champion. I like my midcard champ to be an actual midcarder, not a main eventer in waiting (i.e. upper midcarder).

Haven't touched my TCW game in a while, but it was my last proper game and the only one with a 'B' show, so...

'TCW Cruiserweights' is, surprise, surprise, a show for Cruiserweights. It has it's own roster of a dozen or so guys, which changes around a bit after every PPV. The main story going on at the moment is the rise to dominance of 'Chemical Reaction'; the team of Acid and UK Dragon (renamed Alkaline). With Acid holding the (Main Event level) All Action belt, they have just finished a feud with The Canadian Animals (Freddie Huggins & Edd Stone) and with those two moving back to the main show, they're being replaced by High Concept. I picked up Groucho on a HUGE contract a while back, and he and Elmo have lost steam since their initial push. 3 months of tag victories and a long-term feud will do them good.

It's a fun little roster I've gathered. Dark Angel. Ryan Powell. Jake Idol and whatever his partner's called. K.C 'Boggy' Glenn. A bunch of rookies fresh out of developmental. It's almost enough fun to stop being a chore to book, but as it is, despite my love for the roster, I always rush the booking.

I tend to use my B Shows kind of like the WWF's TV shows used to be way back in the day. Most matches are upper midcarders or main eventers beating the tar out of lower midcarders and below. Before the match they'll cut a promo on the guy they're fueding with on the A Show, or sometimes there will be a pre or post attack from their rival. And if I have a low level title, it will be usually be exclusive to this show.

WCW Saturday Night is all undercard feuds. Some guys I'm slowly working to the top to advance to Nitro and Thunder (Lance Storm, Jamie Noble), and some guys are just gonna be B card forever (Jannetty), which I'm fine with.

My top B show guys also appear on Thunder and Nitro for bigger matches, but the bulk of their feuding is on WCW Saturday Night.

Uprising focuses on the undercard in my SWF game. I try and have Marat smashing a one-night guy like Ben Williams or Mark Smart (Jack Griffiths was his inaugural victim).

Enforcer Roberts and Lobster Warrior tend to pop up as trainers. The SWF roster generally lacks Psychology, so they get drafted in as my somewhat aimless top guys for that stat.

Squeeky McClean could make a good living as an Uprising champion (and, indeed, the Shooting Star title would be a useful permanent addition there). He also has strong Psychology, and is decent everywhere else. Matches against the Bumfholes etc could be a great way forward for him.

Badge of Honor serves five basic purposes:

- Undercard workers deserve programs too!

- Tag team experience

- Main eventers can snag a win against an up and comer while giving them some rub

- Showcase promo videos appear on BoH as readily as on Total Wrestling. If I'm positioning someone over the course of a month, I want to stress it.

- Character work for Rick Law.

Well....*spoiler alert and cheap plug for the OMWF Diary*...

As a small fed in Europe I actually needed an extra monthly show to advance in popularity. Having limited budget (key to the diary) I started a small monthly show, featuring a minimum of PPA wrestlers. I try to use it to get the Opener/Lower Carders over a bit more and see who clicks with who. The main event mostly is a Midcarder vs. Upper Midcard/Main Event. I made it a point that this show features no (or very few) gimmick matches nor does it really touch on running feuds or story lines.

I really enjoy booking this...

Archived